Options

Avocado Vs. Is This It

jasonwjasonw Posts: 390
edited July 2008 in The Porch
This might seem like random albums to compare, but "Is This It" has been playing in my car non-stop this week. So the other day i take it out and put in "Avocado" (i don't like calling it that, but it seems like it would be less confusing than saying pearl jam), and let's just say i quickly went back to The Strokes. I think "Is This It" blows "Avocado" out of the water......thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,011
    not even close- I'd take Avocado any day over it- but that's just my opinion
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    not even close- I'd take Avocado any day over it- but that's just my opinion

I assume I'll get a lot of this since it is a pearl jam board, but i just think "Is This It" is a classic rock album of this decade and "Avocado" is not
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    "Is This It" is far better than Avocado. But not better than anything Yield or before.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    'Is this it' is a great album, and more solid. But the avo has more variety. I don't really find them comparable.

it's hard to compare something my fav band puts out compared to another band i like but not as much.

so i would say they equal... oh, and avo is probably my least favourite pj album.
    ...The Moon is Rollin' Round....
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,350
    I'd take a live comp of "Pearl Jam" in its entirety over Is this It...not sure about studio though...something about the way "Pearl Jam" is mixed just bugs the shit out of me
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    ClaudiaClaudia Posts: 398
    "Is This It" is a classic
  • Options
    heyjoseheyjose Melbourne, Australia Posts: 503
    The Strokes are my second favourite band. First Impressions of Earth is a bit of a masterpiece, and Is This It a classic.
    1995: Melbourne 1
    1998: Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2003: Sydney 1, 2, 3, Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2006: Sydney 1, 2, Melbourne 1, 2, 3, Sydney 3, Newcastle, Adelaide 1, 2, Perth
    2009: LA 1, 2, Melbourne, Sydney
    2014: Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney

• Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I already think "Is This It" is a classic. It's much better than Avacado.
  • Options
    knittedknitted Posts: 244
    i think vu's loaded is better than both:), and while i appreciate that it's fun to discuss music and compare albums, i think we all know that this sort of thing is so subjective it's almost pointless discussing it.

i did say almost.

apples, oranges.
    http://www.sublime-retro.net

when my ears ring, my heart beats
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,086
    I really tried with The Strokes, but I just don't like 'em. So I will have to take Avocado...
  • Options
    cbbjrcbbjr Posts: 231
    Is This It. One of the better albums of this decade.
    98-KC; 00-Indianapolis, StL, KC; 03-KC, DC; 04-DC; 06-Camden2, DC, Pittsburgh; 08-DC; 09-Chicago1, Spectrum3; 10-DC; 13-Baltimote; 16-Chicago1; 18-Seattle2; 22-NY
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    I really like The Strokes, they're one of my favorite bands. But I must disagree and say that Avocado is much better than Is This It. In my opinion, Is This It isn't the best Strokes album either. Room On Fire or First Impressions are both much better.

I can't believe so many people are down on Avocado.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    I would have to go with "is this it". I would even say " Room on Fire" is better than Avocado.

What made you pick a seven year old album to compare to Avocado. It would probably be better to pick an album from 2006 to compare as the music scene (in my opinion) in 2001 was a hell of a lot better than 2006.
  • Options
    jasonw wrote:
    This might seem like random albums to compare, but "Is This It" has been playing in my car non-stop this week. So the other day i take it out and put in "Avocado" (i don't like calling it that, but it seems like it would be less confusing than saying pearl jam), and let's just say i quickly went back to The Strokes. I think "Is This It" blows "Avocado" out of the water......thoughts?

I'll just assume you're fucking joking.
    "Why stand when you can sit?" - Winston Churchill
    "Why sit when you can dance?" - Me
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    apples
    and
    oranges
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    I would have to go with "is this it". I would even say " Room on Fire" is better than Avocado.

What made you pick a seven year old album to compare to Avocado. It would probably be better to pick an album from 2006 to compare as the music scene (in my opinion) in 2001 was a hell of a lot better than 2006.

What made me pick these albums to compare is what i said in my original post, i was listening to "is this it" in car a ton last week then i switched to "avocado" because it was also in the car and i thought to myself "wow this album is vastly inferior to the strokes album i was just playing"

and to the person who said it is pointless to discuss music because it is all subjective.....ummm isn't that all we do on this board? discuss music
  • Options
    Gmoney wrote:
    apples
    and
    oranges

and no not really....there isn't a ton of diversity between pearl jam and the strokes, they are both pretty straight forward rock bands it's not like i compared Hank Williams to Prodigy or something

this makes me think of when people say that they have really diverse taste in music and then just list a bunch of rock bands "yeah i'm into a lot of different stuff I like STP and Thursday! pretty crazy eh?"
  • Options
    moyboymoyboy Posts: 131
    well you're talking about one bands first album (strokes) and another bands last (pearl jam)... to be fair, it'd be more interesting I think to compare both bands FIRST albums (is this it & ten)... i LOVE both bands and both first albums, both debuts lifted the roof of the music scene at the time, but I'd have to go with PJ's ten as the winner if comparing debut albums...
  • Options
    moyboy wrote:
    well you're talking about one bands first album (strokes) and another bands last (pearl jam)... to be fair, it'd be more interesting I think to compare both bands FIRST albums (is this it & ten)... i LOVE both bands and both first albums, both debuts lifted the roof of the music scene at the time, but I'd have to go with PJ's ten as the winner if comparing debut albums...

i was trying to be interesting i was trying to talk about something that actually occured.....listened to 2 rock albums on the same day, found one to be vastly superior..
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,289
    pjl44 wrote:
    I really tried with The Strokes, but I just don't like 'em. So I will have to take Avocado...
    Same here... Strokes are a good band but a bit overated IMO.
  • Options
    brock05brock05 Posts: 11
    Murder wrote:

so i would say they equal... oh, and avo is probably my least favourite pj album.

even over riot act, very surprising
    11/3/95 - Eastern Creek, Sydney
    12/3/98 - Sydney
    8 & 9/2/03 - Brisbane
    7/11/06 - Sydney
    11/11/06 - Brisbane
    14/11/06 - Melbourne
    19/11/06 - Newcastle
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    I'm not a fan of The Strokes but I did buy Is This It because of the reviews and word of mouth, and I agree it's one of the best release albums this decade.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,859
    is this it is good but FIOE is better
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    "Is This It" is a low fi masterpiece, an instant classic.
    Things were different then. All is different now.
    I tried to explain...

http://www.facebook.com/theendlessproof
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Strange comparison but I agree...Is This It is a phenomenal album, Avocado is not so phenomenal.
  • Options
    walkthamilewalkthamile Posts: 349
    jasonw wrote:

Well it's a matter of opinion, you're entitled to it. I will say, however, that "Pearl jam" is far more diverse from start to finish. "Is this it" is an awesome record but most songs sound the same and are quite repetitive.

One thing IS for certain though, no debating this one :D, Binaural all the way back to Ten totally blows the Strokes away in terms of song writing, musicianship and lyrics. Sorry buddy ;)
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    of the choices in the thread title, i'd pick......... Vs.
  • Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,314
    Can't seem to get into the Strokes...so I guess that makes my answer obvious.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,131
    jasonw wrote:

Well, this is a Pearl Jam message board...so guess what I think?

Actually, I love Avocado, so I think it is ridiculously better than "Is the It"...though I do like that album a lot as well.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    brain of c wrote:
    of the choices in the thread title, i'd pick......... Vs.

haha i knew someone was gonna say that