Options

anyone get chastised for the Reaper tee?

Comments

• Options
    the one at the shows were black right? atleast the one i got is. but why is the one on the site brown? it doesnt look the same in brown.

Yea, the only ones at the show were black. Apparently that's not the only difference. the letters are fuzzy too.
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    oh yes... the message is as original as the lyrics to a rage against the machine song :rolleyes:

the only thing that couldve made it more cliched was if it was bush specific... the dems are just as much to blame

i dont think the shirt has anything to do with bush. for me its a symbol of death dressing up as a patriot and being responsible for the death of american soldiers. seems today if you wave an american flag youre a hero and people are willing to die just for that flag without looking at whats behind it or who is really waving it. so death has exploited that naive thought. has nothing to do with politics but blind nationlism.
  • Options
    question: what is the reaper holding in the other hand? i'm looking at a low res image and can't make it out.
    myspace.com/curtandres
    pearljamguy@gmail.com
  • Options
    question: what is the reaper holding in the other hand? i'm looking at a low res image and can't make it out.

Dogtags being held by his index finger.

http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/38168
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    dunkman wrote:
    its a flag... who gives a fuck if its tattered :confused:
    In the 3 months I've spent here, I have learned Americans are very weird about their flag and anthem and so forth. It's a bit of a sweeping statement, but they get offended by waay too much waaay too easily.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    morgie2morgie2 Posts: 1,065
    i dont think the shirt has anything to do with bush. for me its a symbol of death dressing up as a patriot and being responsible for the death of american soldiers. seems today if you wave an american flag youre a hero and people are willing to die just for that flag without looking at whats behind it or who is really waving it. so death has exploited that naive thought. has nothing to do with politics but blind nationlism.

Hey, good point! I forgot he was holding dog tags. It's the blood of U.S. soldiers on the sickle. I'm not being sarcastic, you've given me a new angle on it.
    Boston II 94 Boston II 06 Mansfield I 08 Mansfield II 08 Seattle I 09 Seattle II 09
    Hartford 10 Boston 10 Wrigley 13 Worcester I 13 Worcester II 13 Hartford 13
    NYC I 16 NYC II 16 Fenway I 16 Fenway II 16  Fenway 1 18  Fenway II 18
    E.V. Boston II 08 E.V. Albany II 09 E.V. Providence 11, E.V. Boston 11
    Troubled Souls Unite
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    In the 3 months I've spent here, I have learned Americans are very weird about their flag and anthem and so forth. It's a bit of a sweeping statement, but they get offended by waay too much waaay too easily.
    we place WAY to much importance and significance on symbols in this country.... its really embedded into the early years of our country though and was thorougly thought out accordingly (stone masons, etc)
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    Great poster. Bad t-shirt.

I agree. It's an awesome poster but it's a little too much for a t-shirt.
  • Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102
    I have mixed feelings on this shirt. I love the design. It is very cool looking. It was more of an impulse buy.

However, the shirt completely conflicts with my values. I think it can give off a sense of disrespect to the US and Christians. Thus, I really don't wear it around certain people. In fact, I think I wouldn't buy it again.
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Options
    PJBuckeye wrote:
    I have mixed feelings on this shirt. I love the design. It is very cool looking. It was more of an impulse buy.

However, the shirt completely conflicts with my values. I think it can give off a sense of disrespect to the US and Christians. Thus, I really don't wear it around certain people. In fact, I think I wouldn't buy it again.

I kinda of feel the same way...not that it conflicts with my values but it's most definitely a certain time/place kind of shirt. (like most Iron Maiden shirts)
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    i dunno... youre from the south... you should know better than anyone :p

I'm sorry but Central Illinois is more racist than Gainsville, Florida. You ever hear of the town Pekin, IL. Look into the history of their high school mascot and then make your generalization.
  • Options
    PJBuckeye wrote:
    I'm sorry but Central Illinois is more racist than Gainsville, Florida. You ever here of the town Pekin, IL. Look into the history of their high school mascot and then make your generalization.
    A) I am from Northern IL and attend school in Central Illinois, at the very LIBERAL U of I campus
    B) from now on I'll be sure to add a ;) along with my :p just for over zealous folks like you to know when im kidding
    C) no ive never "hered" of Pekin, IL so please enlighten us

• Options
    I originally come from Chester, SC. Really, really little town. 3.2 sq miles small actually. So gossard wasn't that far off. Plus I'm sure he was joking anyway.
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    A) I am from Northern IL and attend school in Central Illinois, at the very LIBERAL U of I campus
    B) from now on I'll be sure to add a ;) along with my :p just for over zealous folks like you to know when im kidding
    C) no ive never "hered" of Pekin, IL so please enlighten us

A) For a Big Ten School, U of I is pretty conservative. Big Greek system = WMA's from Chicago suburbs.
    B) Just busting your balls. I figured you are a U of I kid.
    C) Hey, I corrected that, but good catch. But seriously, their nickname was the Pekin Chinx. After pressure from outside groups, they changed their nickname to the Dragons (Guess, why?).

PS - I feel like if I tell you that "I know that you were kidding". You will follow it with a "I know that you knew I was kidding" just before we die in a tragic gasoline fight accident. Hopefully, you get the Zoolander reference.
  • Options
    PJBuckeye wrote:
    A) For a Big Ten School, U of I is pretty conservative. Big Greek system = WMA's from Chicago suburbs.
    B) Just busting your balls. I figured you are a U of I kid.
    C) Hey, I corrected that, but good catch. But seriously, their nickname was the Pekin Chinx. After pressure from outside groups, they changed their nickname to the Dragons (Guess, why?).

PS - I feel like if I tell you that "I know that you were kidding". You will follow it with a "I know that you knew I was kidding" just before we die in a tragic gasoline fight accident. Hopefully, you get the Zoolander reference.
    i got ya bud... i wouldnt really know much about the greek system since i try to keep my time with them to a minimum (other than free booze and food at rush week events)... but i would imagine theyre all "moderate" (AKA uninformed and indifferent) but voting for obama cause theyre so not racist and he seems like a "fuckin bad ass" (or telling their friends theyre voting and then forgetting to)

funny about the Pekin school... i think the ducks would be the obvious choice of mascot and a delicious choice for my big chinese dinner / olympic party tomorrow

i gotta go grab an orange mocha frappacino so im outta here!

• Options
    I originally come from Chester, SC. Really, really little town. 3.2 sq miles small actually. So gossard wasn't that far off. Plus I'm sure he was joking anyway.

Regardless of location, many small towns are like that. It isn't a regional thing. Just listen to any DBT song.
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:

i gotta go grab an orange mocha frappacino so im outta here!

Nicely played
  • Options
    PJBuckeye wrote:
    Regardless of location, many small towns are like that. It isn't a regional thing. Just listen to any DBT song.

DBT?
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    i love this shirt so much

especially when it pisses people off ;p
  • Options
    Drive By Truckers.

Alot of their music talks about regional slamming that the South gets and how that the South gets blamed primarily for race issues in this country when racism is a universal problem.
  • Options
    Why do so many get their rocks off to the fact that this shirt offends people? Why do people want to hurt others? It seems kinda childish.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    seems like my thread has taken maybe a bit of a negative turn and that wasn't what i was hoping for. regardless of where we all live there are gonna be people that just don't agree with some of the messages (implied or otherwise) that pearl jam makes on their shirts, in their music, etc., try not to bash one another friends....
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    I had a friend buy one for me at the summer shows because I always thought the design was just fucking awesome since the original poster.

Until I physically got the shirt, I had thought the reaper was holding a bunch of skulls, not dog tags, which made it even more morbid. But I like the dog tag thing too. I also had never noticed the bomber planes in the background of the design. Just awesome imagery.

I have not yet gotten chastised, but I've only worn it twice. Once on 4th of July to a family party where my whole family is liberal and anti war, and once to a protest for a McCain fundraiser, because well, it totally fucking fits. I don't plan on wearing it often because I think someone could be very offended by it, especially if they were in the military or had a family member die or something, and well...I don't want to get my ass kicked over wearing a shirt. I'm all for freedom of speech, but in times like these, I'm actually afraid of my fellow man reacting to my exercising those freedoms of speech.

I agree, the image on the shirt is far less offensive and destructive than OUR COUNTRY'S actions in this war (and the universal symbol of our country is the flag, so just deal with it). Much like the planes on 9/11, the American flag was hijacked in 2003 and used to plot meaningless killings of innocent people, as well as sacrificing the lives (dog tags) of our soldiers.

Folk singer Dan Bern (co-writer of many of the songs in Walk Hard) has a couple great songs relating to this: Tyranny and My Country II. From My Country II:

"... But you won't find a flag on my doorstep
    On the Fourth of July
    Too many criminals try to wrap themselves inside of it
    It stands for too many lies

But it's my country too
    Sometimes I gotta remind myself
    It's my country too
    I pay my taxes
    Vote on election day
    I stop at stop signs
    Just like you"
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    PJBuckeye wrote:
    Why do so many get their rocks off to the fact that this shirt offends people? Why do people want to hurt others? It seems kinda childish.

Hahah because its funny! Some people wave bibles in your face, some people wear awesome concert tees that some people just don't get.. i think the later is the less harmless out of the two :D
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073

as for trouble with the shirt not for me. i have the old bad religion crossbuster shirt and the dead kennedys in god we trust inc shirt. both seem more offensive. no one i know said anything about the pj shirt, its pretty tame.

my sons get mad angry looks from older people when they wears the cross buster shirt.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    PahkTheCahPahkTheCah Posts: 193
    recently saw a good friend, who let's just say is a bit opinionated, and he really went on a long diatribe about my black reaper concert t-shirt. said it looked like it was disrespectful to the flag (tattered flag) and that the reaper reminded him of a klu klux klan member.
    of course i interpret the shirt completely different and had been wondering if anyone else on the board has had any trouble with others, looks, comments, etc., re: this fucking awesome shirt.

These are the generally recognized "rules/ regs" of the American Flag. If you're buddy has broken any of them, he's got nothing to bitch about.

* The flag should be lighted at all times, either by sunlight or by an appropriate light source.
    * The flag should be flown in fair weather, unless the flag is designed for inclement weather use.
    * The flag should never be dipped to any person or thing. It is flown upside down only as a distress signal.
    * The flag should not be used for any decoration in general. Bunting of blue, white and red stripes is available for these purposes. The blue stripe of the bunting should be on the top.
    * The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use. Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard.
    * The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, fireman, policeman and members of patriotic organizations.
    * The flag should never have any mark, insignia, letter, word, number, figure, or drawing of any kind placed on it, or attached to it.
    * The flag should never be used for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
    * When the flag is lowered, no part of it should touch the ground or any other object; it should be received by waiting hands and arms. To store the flag it should be folded neatly and ceremoniously.
    * The flag should be cleaned and mended when necessary.
    * When a flag is so worn it is no longer fit to serve as a symbol of our country, it should be destroyed by burning in a dignified manner.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    PJBuckeye wrote:
    Its the truth that hurts
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    jmurrayjmurray Stratham, NH Posts: 3,538
    callen wrote:
    Love the message...its the epitome of how the current government suckered "some" people of faith to kill. Sure this makes some uncomfortable...but that's a good thing.

Exactly. The point is to make people think even at the risk of offending. I'm a vet of the 1st gulf war and the shirt doesn't offend me. The current administration should offend everyone that's ever served.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    PahkTheCah wrote:
    These are the generally recognized "rules/ regs" of the American Flag. If you're buddy has broken any of them, he's got nothing to bitch about.

* The flag should be lighted at all times, either by sunlight or by an appropriate light source.
    * The flag should be flown in fair weather, unless the flag is designed for inclement weather use.
    * The flag should never be dipped to any person or thing. It is flown upside down only as a distress signal.
    * The flag should not be used for any decoration in general. Bunting of blue, white and red stripes is available for these purposes. The blue stripe of the bunting should be on the top.
    * The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use. Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard.
    * The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, fireman, policeman and members of patriotic organizations.
    * The flag should never have any mark, insignia, letter, word, number, figure, or drawing of any kind placed on it, or attached to it.
    * The flag should never be used for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
    * When the flag is lowered, no part of it should touch the ground or any other object; it should be received by waiting hands and arms. To store the flag it should be folded neatly and ceremoniously.
    * The flag should be cleaned and mended when necessary.
    * When a flag is so worn it is no longer fit to serve as a symbol of our country, it should be destroyed by burning in a dignified manner.

The flag represents doing what ever you feel like doing with it, wearing it, burning it....whatever....and thats exactly why its so beautiful.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,480
    I wore the Reaper shirt when I went to see Stone Temple Pilots a few weeks ago in Berkeley. I was checking out the merch after the show, when this one dude comes up to me and asks me, "Is that a Pearl Jam shirt?"

I said yes.

He then took a closer look at it, had this amazed expression on his face and said, "That's the most amazing looking shirt that I've ever seen."

I told him that he could get it at pearljam.com.

A security guard who heard our conversation then wanted to take a closer look at it. He didn't say anything, so I don't know if he liked it or not.

So, I got a positive reaction from this shirt. Of course, it was in Berkeley, and the dude was probably stoned.