Options

anyone get chastised for the Reaper tee?

2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
edited August 2008 in The Porch
recently saw a good friend, who let's just say is a bit opinionated, and he really went on a long diatribe about my black reaper concert t-shirt. said it looked like it was disrespectful to the flag (tattered flag) and that the reaper reminded him of a klu klux klan member.
of course i interpret the shirt completely different and had been wondering if anyone else on the board has had any trouble with others, looks, comments, etc., re: this fucking awesome shirt.
www.cluthelee.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    recently saw a good friend, who let's just say is a bit opinionated, and he really went on a long diatribe about my black reaper concert t-shirt. said it looked like it was disrespectful to the flag (tattered flag) and that the reaper reminded him of a klu klux klan member.
    of course i interpret the shirt completely different and had been wondering if anyone else on the board has had any trouble with others, looks, comments, etc., re: this fucking awesome shirt.
    it is a fucking awesome shirt, ordered it a couple weeks back and have yet to get it.
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Options
    Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,329
    No, but I did accidentally buy it for my 5 year old son at the Hartford show and just stuffed it in my girlfriend bag. I asked what they had in a kids size and the guy showed me the back. Not knowing what was on the front I took it. I got home the next day and actually looked at it. I looked and my girlfriend and said, "there's no chance I can give this to my son, his mother would kill me."

Luckily I went to the last show in Mansfield and got an age appropriate shirt for him.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    No, but I did accidentally buy it for my 5 year old son at the Hartford show and just stuffed it in my girlfriend bag. I asked what they had in a kids size and the guy showed me the back. Not knowing what was on the front I took it. I got home the next day and actually looked at it. I looked and my girlfriend and said, "there's no chance I can give this to my son, his mother would kill me."

Luckily I went to the last show in Mansfield and got an age appropriate shirt for him.

i can see why you'd do that of course. it is quite a statement t-shirt for sure.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,329
    i can see why you'd do that of course. it is quite a statement t-shirt for sure.

I did find the thought of him playing in the sand box at pre-school proudly wearing the reaper t-shirt that his dad bought him at Pearl Jam mildly amusing.

I think I was the only one though.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    my only problem with it is that its ugly... dont really read too much into its "message"

my soundgarden "fuck happens" and "louder than fuck" shirts... how thats a message! ha
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I am not a fan of that design
    I dont care that the flag is used, its a political statement

but its too dark and morbid for my tastes
  • Options
    I a bit warped, but I think it speaks volumes. and would be a great Tattoo.
    I get more flack from my "get right" t-shirt. People think its some sort of arabic saying.
    96' Randalls island II
    98' NJ, MSG II
    00' Jones Beach I,II,III
    03' Nassau, MSG I, II
    05' Montreal, Ottawa, Borgata II
    06' NJ I, II
    08' Camden II, MSG II, Hartford, Beacon NY, Ed Ved NYC I
    09' Philly 4
    10' MSG I,II
    11' Ed Ved Hartford
    13' Chicago, Brooklyn II
    15' GCF NY
    16' Philly II, MSG I
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I love that t-shirt design. . . I was going to oder one, but I'm a little hesitant with the sizing. I normally wear large. should I get that size or xtra large? I'm sort of torn and dont want to get the tee and have it be to small, though I don't want it to look like I'm drowning in it either.
  • Options
    Being that I live in Arlington VA and work in DC, I get some sideways glances from all the uber-patriot-tourists and gov't workers on the Metro. But no one has said anything to me....yet...

"Hi Marge, we're freaking out squares."
  • Options
    JoWesleyJoWesley Posts: 109
    So I probably shouldn't let my kids wear theirs when we tour DC next week? :D
    Aug 93 - Toronto Mar 94 - Ann Arbor
    Sep 96 - Toledo Aug 98 - East Lansing
    Oct 00 - Detroit Apr 03 - Cleveland
    Jun 03 - Detroit May 06 - Grand Rapids & Detroit
    Jul 07 - Lolla Jun 08 - WPB & Tampa
    Vedder: DC 1&2, Chicago 2
  • Options
    PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    I freakin love the design for that shirt. Once I get paid I am going to order one.

..coolest design ever!! I might be saying that just because I love metal music and to me that looks pretty metal \m/
  • Options
    Great poster. Bad t-shirt.
    "Fuck the talkin', let's start rocking." - E.V. 9-5-00

8/25/98, 8/21/00, 9/5/00, 4/26/03, 5/3/03, 6/24/03, 9/28/05, 10/03/05, 5/20/06, 6/23/06, EV 8/16/08, EV 6/18/09, 5/20/10, 9/15/11, 10/11/13, 10/27/13, 10/1/14, 8/20/16, 8/22/16, TOTD 11/7/16, 8/18/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/11/22, 9/14/22, 9/10/23 coming soon
  • Options
    TiaMijaTiaMija Posts: 597
    My boyfriend asked me not to wear it around him. He spent some time in the army and is also sensitive to any type of hooded, robed creature; therefore, he finds it disrespectful on two counts.
    I agree with it's message, but I also don't want to make someone else uncomfortable. I guess it will wait in my closet until the next PJ tour!

Or, should I wear it in DC next week on purpose?
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    its a flag... who gives a fuck if its tattered :confused:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    JoWesley wrote:
    So I probably shouldn't let my kids wear theirs when we tour DC next week? :D

Ahahah! You could get some pretty sweet pics with them at all the monuments or standing in front of the White house. This makes me wonder what they would say (if anything) if I went in to tour the Capitol with this shirt on. You do have to go through some pretty heavy security to get in there and...hmmm...I'm sure they'd say something. At the very least, they'd probably start a some kind of file on you and the next time you try to fly home for thanksgiving you'd find out you're on the no fly list...yeah probably not a good idea.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    its a flag... who gives a fuck if its tattered :confused:

There's this thing in america where the flag has to be in pristine condition.

And since when did KKK members carry around huge scythes?
  • Options
    i dunno... youre from the south... you should know better than anyone :p

• Options
    There's this thing in america where the flag has to be in pristine condition.

yeah unlike your teeth!!!

oh wait .. thats us :o

;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Love the message...its the epitome of how the current government suckered "some" people of faith to kill. Sure this makes some uncomfortable...but that's a good thing.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Jesika537Jesika537 Posts: 301

Exactly what I was thinking... I always thought it was the Grim Reaper(George Bush)... Maybe I'm an idiot.
    Detroit '98 - Detroit '03 - Toledo '04 - Grand Rapids '04 - Kitchener '05 - London '05 - Grand Rapids '06 - Cleveland '06 - Detroit '06 - Chicago '07 - West Palm Beach - Tampa '08 - Toronto '09 - Indy '10 - Buffalo '10 - Toronto '11 - London '13
  • Options
    PJLadiePJLadie Posts: 32
    I bought my 11 year old the reaper shirt at Mansfield II and she wears it proudly!
    She's been listening to PJ since she was in the womb, and Mans II was her 1st concert.

She is in VERY BASIC understanding of what is going on in this country right now, and agrees with Ed's views, or what she can comprehend of them.

After the show at Mans II, she asked me if George Bush ever heard "No More" and I explained the story of Thomas Young to her (I will let her see the movie when we can watch it at home so I can TRY to answer any questions).
    She said she doesn't understand it all - I told her we don't either...

Then when I saw Ed solo last weekend, she couldn't wait to hear if he sang the song.

I see nothing wrong with the shirt. I'm proud when I see my daughter with it on. Those who don't like it or don't think it's appropriate simply don't have to wear it or look at those who do! :)
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,161

Just ask your friend what's the difference between that image and what the Bush administration has done to the flag as a symbol of tyranny in the past 8 years?
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    bicyclejoe wrote:
    Just ask your friend what's the difference between that image and what the Bush administration has done to the flag as a symbol of tyranny in the past 8 years?

sounds like his friend would be like "eh tirranie... what the shit is tirrannee!"
  • Options
    PJLadie wrote:
    Then when I saw Ed solo last weekend, she couldn't wait to hear if he sang the song.
    atleast we know theres *one* fan of that song... :p

fingers crossed we dont gotta hear it in chicago

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Get_Right wrote:
    I am not a fan of that design
    I dont care that the flag is used, its a political statement

but its too dark and morbid for my tastes

+1
  • Options
    Having several friends in the military we had the discussion before about using our flag for designs like this shirt. Most of them agree that its disrespectful to our flag. I was going to buy it but I thought about the flag idea and decided not too.
  • Options
    i like it so i bought it. death dressed in the american flag holding dog tags. seems to make a pretty honest statement.

as for trouble with the shirt not for me. i have the old bad religion crossbuster shirt and the dead kennedys in god we trust inc shirt. both seem more offensive. no one i know said anything about the pj shirt, its pretty tame.
  • Options
    morgie2morgie2 Posts: 1,065
    Having several friends in the military we had the discussion before about using our flag for designs like this shirt. Most of them agree that its disrespectful to our flag. I was going to buy it but I thought about the flag idea and decided not too.

I think if the Grim Reaper was shrouded in a Republican party flag, or some anti-Bush symbol I'd have no problem with it. I don't like our whole country being "broad-stroked" like that. But you have to hand it to PJ and Klausen, they have us talking about it and thinking about it's symbolism.
    Boston II 94 Boston II 06 Mansfield I 08 Mansfield II 08 Seattle I 09 Seattle II 09
    Hartford 10 Boston 10 Wrigley 13 Worcester I 13 Worcester II 13 Hartford 13
    NYC I 16 NYC II 16 Fenway I 16 Fenway II 16  Fenway 1 18  Fenway II 18
    E.V. Boston II 08 E.V. Albany II 09 E.V. Providence 11, E.V. Boston 11
    Troubled Souls Unite
  • Options
    morgie2 wrote:
    I think if the Grim Reaper was shrouded in a Republican party flag, or some anti-Bush symbol I'd have no problem with it. I don't like our whole country being "broad-stroked" like that. But you have to hand it to PJ and Klausen, they have us talking about it and thinking about it's symbolism.
    oh yes... the message is as original as the lyrics to a rage against the machine song :rolleyes:

the only thing that couldve made it more cliched was if it was bush specific... the dems are just as much to blame

• Options
    the one at the shows were black right? atleast the one i got is. but why is the one on the site brown? it doesnt look the same in brown.