Options

How many times has someone said this to you?

gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
edited July 2008 in The Porch
"Yeah, I used to like Pearl Jam. Their first two albums were good then after that I didn't care for them." Does that make you instantly think that this person is an idiot, has no taste in music, or both? :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    shareshare Posts: 551
    gabers wrote:
    "Yeah, I used to like Pearl Jam. Their first two albums were good then after that I didn't care for them." Does that make you instantly think that this person is an idiot, has no taste in music, or both? :)

it makes me think their musical taste has changed.
    I certainly would not think they are an idiot or have no taste in music
    because of it.
    we're all sentient snowflakes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm a number that doesn't count
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    the nothing ventured - the nothing feigned
  • Options
    AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    gabers wrote:

actually the 4 girls next to me at Bonnaroo said they really weren't interested in seeing Pearl Jam, they just had a little time to kill. They said, "They added, pearl Jam hasn't had a new album is almost 20 years"

but I am happy to report, they loved the show along with everyone else
  • Options
    mamasanmamasan Posts: 25
    i hear that all the time... i just fake smile and say, "yeah..."
    charlotte 4.16.2003, atlanta 4.19.2003, wash dc 7.01.2003
    hershey 7.12.2003, toledo 10.02.2004, asheville 10.06.2004
    kissimmee 10.08.2004, wash dc 5.30.2006, lolla 8.05.2007
    west palm beach 6.11.2008, tampa 6.12.2008, columbia 6.16.2008
  • Options
    they just dont know any better. pity them.
  • Options
    RoeghmannRoeghmann Posts: 968
    Abuskedti wrote:
    actually the 4 girls next to me at Bonnaroo said they really weren't interested in seeing Pearl Jam, they just had a little time to kill. They said, "They added, pearl Jam hasn't had a new album is almost 20 years"

but I am happy to report, they loved the show along with everyone else

like that story.
    I was talking to a new co-worker the other day. He was into rock music and we chatted about Zeppelin, Ac/Dc, Metallica etc. And the he metioned Nickelback as beeing his favorite band. I mentioned Pearl Jam as mine. He responded with a.........WHO?
    Help me here, how can you as a 30+ year old fan of rock music know nickelback and not PJ?
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh see the world.
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    Röeghmann wrote:
    like that story.
    I was talking to a new co-worker the other day. He was into rock music and we chatted about Zeppelin, Ac/Dc, Metallica etc. And the he metioned Nickelback as beeing his favorite band. I mentioned Pearl Jam as mine. He responded with a.........WHO?
    Help me here, how can you as a 30+ year old fan of rock music know nickelback and not PJ?
    :D cmon though... that's funny :D

I've had people genuinely not know who they were either :eek:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,219
    gabers wrote:

screw em. more room for me to dance.

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• Options
    i got a better question............how can your favorite band possibly be nickelback??? Good Lord
    9/1/2000 - E-Centre, Camden, 'Sometimes' started and I was hooked...
  • Options
    noceilingnoceiling Posts: 41
    too many times to count.

personally I believe their best work came from No Code, Yield, Binaural and Riot Act.

The people who make such statements are those who listen to the radio and bands like Incubus.
    Hartford 10/02/96 & 09/13/98
    Pittsburg 8/25/98 & 4/26/03
    Cleveland 8/26/98
    Camden 9/02/00 & 06/19/08 (my birthday!)
    Columbia, MD 9/04/00
    State College 5/03/03
    Reading, PA 10/01/04
    Albany 5/12/06
    Washington DC 5/30/06 & 06/22/08
  • Options
    share wrote:
    it makes me think their musical taste has changed.
    I certainly would not think they are an idiot or have no taste in music
    because of it.

Yeah yeah wet blanket, c'mon, I was just having some fun here. :)
  • Options
    BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    "Wow Pearl Jam...they're still around?"
  • Options
    alexersalexers Posts: 492
    i got a better question............how can your favorite band possibly be nickelback??? Good Lord

HAHA that's what I was thinking! Jeeeeeeez...
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    Doesn't bother me at all. The fact of life is that Pearl Jam's music as a whole isn't for everyone. We enjoy it and thats all that matters.

now if someone told me that the Beatles were better than the Stones or that Aerosmith has original talent or that Led Zeppelin can play live.....then we'd have to have a discussion.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    gabers wrote:

That is a direct invite for their face to meet your FIST!!!!! :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    falconfalcon Posts: 163
    Good bands are good bands. It has less to do with people's opinions, and more to do with good, original SONGWRITING. Even if people say they don't like RHCP, The Who, Cream, Neil Young, U2, you can't dispute their ability to write real songs.
    People have the right to their opinion- I mean hey, this is America- but Nickelback??? Whenever someone says they like a band that I find deplorable, I say "And you like this band because ______?"
    MANSFIELD 7/3/03, 7/11/03
    BOSTON 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    HARTFORD 5/13/06
    BOSTON 5/24/06
    MANSFIELD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    EV BOSTON 8/1/08, 8/2/08
    CHICAGO 8/24/09
    HARTFORD 5/15/10
    BOSTON 5/17/10
    EV PROV 6/15/11
    WORCESTER 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HARTFORD 10/25/13
  • Options
    BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    voodoopug wrote:
    Doesn't bother me at all. The fact of life is that Pearl Jam's music as a whole isn't for everyone. We enjoy it and thats all that matters.

now if someone told me that the Beatles were better than the Stones or that Aerosmith has original talent or that Led Zeppelin can play live.....then we'd have to have a discussion.

The Beatles ARE better than the Stones :p
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Röeghmann wrote:
    like that story.
    LOL, that's great :D That's a question I think we would all like to know
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    "Wow Pearl Jam...they're still around?"

i HATE that one!!!! But then again, when I start to tell them how the boys are still touring and have more cds out, they feel like morons! :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I was at a barbeque last weekend and someone said that to me..he said something to the effect if you go see PJ and they play all of the 2 first albums you are lucky..I was like huh? lol...Im a big Yield fan so that seemed ridiculous but I have a lot of people when I tell them I went to see PJ or Im a fan..they look at me all confused and say "I didn't think they were still together"

I really don't think they are idiots though...I guess they weren't really the type of fan that embraced change. :)
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Statements like that just make me think some people don't seek out and enjoy music for their own sake and just go with the flow.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    voodoopug wrote:

absolutely agree with your first statement. :)
    musical taste is subjective.

however, the beatles vs. stones discussion i most definitely would DISagree with you there. :D aerosmith, whateva....and once upon a time, i think led zep probably could, although i never got to see the full band live, just page/plant at live aid. anyhoo, differing perspectives.......:p
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    TKDTKD Posts: 163
    voodoopug wrote:

yeah, I think we need to have a discussion about that zeppelin comment :-)
    Im a million miles away from home and I cant find a telephone...
  • Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102
    I get that all the time. It kinda bothers me, but most people are into poppy crap that lacks substance. So, great albums like No Code, Yield and Avocado completely pass them by. People are just musically ignorant.

However, music ignorance is not limited to Pearl Jam. Here's a couple of other examples of musical ignorance.

1. March of 2007, I took my wife to see Aaron Lewis do one of his solo shows (Wife really likes Staind and it was a really, really good show with PJ covers) at HOB in Chicago. You wouldn't have believed the blank faces that I got when I explained to coworkers that I was going to see Aaron Lewis. I would say, "you know the lead singer of Staind." They would reply "who's Staind?" or "I don't think I know who that is." This is a band with a shit load of radio hits in the early 2000's. They got lots of radio play, and people don't even know who they are.

2. My second example is when I was telling people (back home) about going to the Roo. Of course people didn't really know much abot the Roo, but people showed their lack of knowledge when I started naming bands that were going to be at Roo. Barely anybody knew who the Racontuers, Phil Lesh, Death Cab, MMJ or OAR were. Even less people knew great bands like DBT, Umphrey's, State Radio, MGMT, or Vampire Weekend. The bands most people knew were PJ, JJ, Metalica, Kanye, BB, and Willie Nelson. That's it.

I guess what I am tying to say is that most people don't know their head from their ass when it comes to music. Don't be offended by PJ ignorance, because they are probably ignorant about alot of other music. It's their loss.
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Options
    Oh well, guess PJ will have to be our secret. No inclination on my part to educate the ignorant. Don't need any more competition for 10c seats than we already have!!
    "What is this, the stage diving Olympics"?
  • Options
    Spot In The SkySpot In The Sky Posts: 1,175
    Just proves they werent big fans, just radio listeners and then when they had no more radio songs- they assumed they broke up or died.
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • Options
    LedbetterdaysLedbetterdays Round Rock, Texas Posts: 555
    Happened at a 4th BBQ for me. I talked about the show in Tampa and was asked if they even had any new songs. Then today was told that No Code was a terrible album and that the person was mad he bought it.
    Touring Fan since 1996
  • Options
    PJBuckeye wrote:
    2. My second example is when I went to the Roo. Of course people didn't really know much abot the Roo, but people showed their lack of knowledge when I started naming bands that were going to be at Roo. Barely anybody knew who the Racontuers, Phil Lesh, Death Cab, MMJ or OAR were. Even less people knew great bands like DBT, Umphrey's, State Radio, MGMT, or Vampire Weekend. The bands most people knew were PJ, JJ, Metalica, Kanye, BB, and Willie Nelson. That's it.

How can you go to Bonnaroo and not know who the Raconteurs and MMJ are??? Some people blow my mind.
  • Options
    gabers wrote:

A few weeks ago i was drinking with a buddy of mine, and he asked me once earlier in the night if i could play once on guitar, and i told him yeah, and played it for him. He insisted to tell me that Ten was the ONLY good album, and the rest was dog shit, but he did really like once. After he got obliterated later that night he asked me three other times if i knew how to play once (forgetting i had played it all the times before). People really need to get off the ten bandwagon. Theres more to pj than just evenflow and jeremy.
    "I feel the same way about disco as I do about herpes." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, 1977
  • Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102
    gabers wrote:
    How can you go to Bonnaroo and not know who the Raconteurs and MMJ are??? Some people blow my mind.

I think I wrote that poorly. Not people at Roo. The people in Chicago that I was talking to about Roo didn't know all of those bands. Sorry, I have cleaned up my post.
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    gabers wrote:

I know this is probably off topic but I think Im the only PJ fan who doesn't like MMJ..I just can't get into them...I do like the Raconteurs though :)
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.