Options

How many times has someone said this to you?

2»

Comments

• Options
    JimMacLeodJimMacLeod Posts: 107
    One of my wife's coworkers trashes on Pearl Jam. She doesn't outright say it, but the basis for her argument is "I liked Pearl Jam before they were cool. Now everybody likes them, so they suck."

I've been dealing with idiots like this for 15 years.
  • Options
    Uncle NeilUncle Neil Posts: 176
    I think the musical ignorance is all relative though. As was said in an earlier post, people just don't keep up with music like all of us do. And to be fair, the guy I sit next to at work is a big "gamer" and he was talking to me about these games that he plays and I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about. I'm a young guy (24) but I could really give two shits about gaming. But he just looked at me like I was an alien because I'd never heard of these games....that's kinda how we are with people about Pearl Jam. Not everyone is hardcore into music.
  • Options
    Röeghmann wrote:
    like that story.
    I was talking to a new co-worker the other day. He was into rock music and we chatted about Zeppelin, Ac/Dc, Metallica etc. And the he metioned Nickelback as beeing his favorite band. I mentioned Pearl Jam as mine. He responded with a.........WHO?
    Help me here, how can you as a 30+ year old fan of rock music know nickelback and not PJ?

Anyone who can choose nickleback as their favorite band is obviously a) an escaped mental patient or b) has never heard good music or c) joking.
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    Anyone who can choose nickleback as their favorite band is obviously a) an escaped mental patient or b) has never heard good music or c) joking.
    Judging by his name... I'm gonna go with d) foreign :p
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    in 11th grade my history teacher grabbed my headphones and put them on while i was listening to Vs and he said "...is this pearl jam?... they haven't had a good album since that pink one, and eddie vedder sounds like his toe got hit with a hammer". when we had a sub, i asked the sub if he knew pearl jam, he said "yea, i used to love them until their third album.." ugh!

but wait!

my cab driver one day when i was going to school noticed i had a bronx accent and asked if i liked daddy yankee. i told him i didnt listen to that kind of music and that i listened to rock. he asked what band, i told him, and he said "isn't that the band with the dead guy?"

UGHHH!

sure it gets annoying and a little frustrating. i always get "oh yeah i used to like them but i stopped listening to them after vi... vital... you know, the third one".. but i've kind of accepted the fact that people stopped liking them and i've learned to say hey, if you want to listen to shitty music, be my guest ;) it makes it that much more exciting to meet someone who actually LIKES binaural

oh, and i always get a lot of "i thought they broke up" or "they're still together?" or "wasn't their last album like 10 years ago?"
    ignorant fools :D
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    BEnglish017BEnglish017 Posts: 455
    yeah i was talking to my manager the other day (who is a drummer in a local band). he knows pearl jam is still around but he is the typical "the 1st 2 were good but..." and i brought up matt camron. he said man i love that guy, what ever happened to him? i was like he is in pearl jam and he had no idea. i was like yeah he's been there for almost 10 years now. he does have decent taste in music though, just not a pearl jam fan for some odd reason.
    Lexington 4.21.03, Chicago 5.16.06, Cincinnati 6.24.06, Lollapalooza 8.5.07, Virginia Beach 6.17.08, Camden 6.19.08, Camden 6.20.08, East Troy (PJ20) 9.3.11, East Troy (PJ20) 9.4.11, Wrigley 7.19.13, Pittsburgh 10.11.13, Cincinnati 10.1.14, Lexington 4.26.16, Wrigley 8.20.16, Wrigley 8.22.16, Wrigley 8.18.18, Wrigley 8.20.2018, Fenway 9.4.18, New York 3.30.20, Nashville 4.2.20, St. Louis 4.4.20, Bourbon & Beyond 9.17.22, Indianapolis 9.10.2023
  • Options
    knittedknitted Posts: 244
    years ago, like, 1998, i was really excited coz i was having lunch with a bunch of people i hadn't seen in a while and i knew one of them was a big pj fan who had seen them in 95, loved it, and was just mad for them. so when she arrived i tried to be cool but could hardly wait to ask her how much of a good time she had had at their more recent gig (yield tour and a fantastic gig) a month or so earlier, she said 'oh i didn't really know the songs so it was kinda boring and all the people crashing into me dancing really pissed me off'

bummed me out for the rest of the lunch. don't think i've spoken to her since.

all these people are losers and we are not coz we love the best band in the world and they don't.
    http://www.sublime-retro.net

when my ears ring, my heart beats
  • Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    my friend said to me once: "I saw them in concert and it was alright, they didn't play too much off of Ten- I'm not sure why because that is all people want to hear" --I wanted to punch him in the face.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    It seems like the majority of people just kind of leave music behind once they leave their teens and maybe early 20's. Then they just remember what they listened to. I think it is strange as here I am in my 40's listening to all of Pearl Jam, and keeping up with new music and new bands, and discovering older ones that I somehow missed. Most people my age and quite younger than me do not. It just seems to be the way the average person is.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    FatalFatal Posts: 821
    It just makes me think that they've missed out on years of great music and great shows...
    Shows: Montreal 98, Barrie 98, Montreal 00, Montreal 03, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Toronto 06, Vancouver Night 1 08 (EV), Vancouver Night 2 08 (EV), MSG1 08, MSG2 08, Montreal Night 2 08 (EV), Toronto Night 1 08 (EV), Toronto 09, Hartford 11 (EV), Ottawa 11, Ottawa 16, Ottawa 22.

• Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    in 11th grade my history teacher grabbed my headphones and put them on while i was listening to Vs and he said "...is this pearl jam?... they haven't had a good album since that pink one, and eddie vedder sounds like his toe got hit with a hammer". when we had a sub, i asked the sub if he knew pearl jam, he said "yea, i used to love them until their third album.." ugh!

but wait!

my cab driver one day when i was going to school noticed i had a bronx accent and asked if i liked daddy yankee. i told him i didnt listen to that kind of music and that i listened to rock. he asked what band, i told him, and he said "isn't that the band with the dead guy?"

UGHHH!

sure it gets annoying and a little frustrating. i always get "oh yeah i used to like them but i stopped listening to them after vi... vital... you know, the third one".. but i've kind of accepted the fact that people stopped liking them and i've learned to say hey, if you want to listen to shitty music, be my guest ;) it makes it that much more exciting to meet someone who actually LIKES binaural

oh, and i always get a lot of "i thought they broke up" or "they're still together?" or "wasn't their last album like 10 years ago?"
    ignorant fools :D
    LMAO!!! :D That cabbie's respond is hilarious!

I might use that at one of the pre-parties since not many people know what I look like. ;)
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    DiRtYyELLoWoCeAnDiRtYyELLoWoCeAn Medford, Ma Posts: 1,605
    I'd say the hell with them and they're missing out! It's their loss MORE PEARL JAM FOR ME!
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• Options
    Rory1223Rory1223 Posts: 46
    My 22 y/o nephew said to me last week, after I mentioned Eddie's solo shows
    (and hoping to get tickets etc), "Oh Pearl Jam? I only like "Jeremy", I cant stand Eddie Vedder's voice..." I just looked at him in total disbelief, here I am 40-something, mother of 3, I was speechless. Even my other sisters,
    not the biggest PJ fans but they appreciate them & Eddie's voice, were like
    "is this kid for real?" I think he's Dropkick Murphy fan but he used to
    be a big Ramones fan, so I just dont get it
  • Options
    indifferentmanindifferentman Goshen, IN Posts: 731
    gabers wrote:
    "Yeah, I used to like Pearl Jam. Their first two albums were good then after that I didn't care for them." Does that make you instantly think that this person is an idiot, has no taste in music, or both? :)

I just smile and think to myself "You have no fucking idea what you're missing out on." :)

If they have any "redeeming value", I'll think about trying to "preach the gospel" and convert them, but if not, who cares? The fact that we are our own little subculture of fans of a band that most people don't care about is what makes us a little more special in a way. Besides, it gives us a little bit of the "Indie credibility" so much of our generation has strived to uphold! LOL
    I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind - E.V.
    06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
  • Options
    Rjonesrm20Rjonesrm20 Posts: 380
    my all-time fav was this tour when i took a cab from my hotel to the pre party in West Palm Beach...the driver asked me who i was goin to see ...so i told him Pearl Jam....he thought they were two different bands....pearl and jam....so i explained it to him that they are one band and the kings of leon were the opening band...he was really confused then...i gave him no tip.
    1998: Indy 2000: Indy, Cincy 2003: Lexington (m.e.o.), Cincy (cancelled),Indy 2004: Toledo 2005: Atlantic City 2 2006: Cleveland, Cincy 2008: Los Angeles1 (EV solo)-front row center!West Palm Beach-2nd row!, Tampa, Chicago 1&2-(EV solo) 2009: Nashville 1&2(EV solo) Memphis(EV solo) Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    Rjonesrm20 wrote:
    my all-time fav was this tour when i took a cab from my hotel to the pre party in West Palm Beach...the driver asked me who i was goin to see ...so i told him Pearl Jam....he thought they were two different bands....pearl and jam....so i explained it to him that they are one band and the kings of leon were the opening band...he was really confused then...i gave him no tip.

Haha. I had a similar experience. I was filling up at Wawa the other day and one of the workers saw a PJ vinyl sticker I have on my back windshield. He says, "Pearl Jam...Whats that" So I said it was my favorite band. Then he goes, "oh, is that some local band or something? I have never heard of them" So I just replied with "Not a local band...they are kind of a big deal" haha...the guy was at least 40 too???
    6/14/08 - Bonnaroo
    6/19/08 - Camden 1
    6/24/08 - MSG 1
    8/07/08 - Newark, EV Solo
    6/11/09 - Upper Darby, EV Solo
    10/28/09 - Spectrum 2
    10/30/09 - Spectrum 3
    10/31/09 - Spectrum 4
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    JaneNY wrote:
    It seems like the majority of people just kind of leave music behind once they leave their teens and maybe early 20's. Then they just remember what they listened to. I think it is strange as here I am in my 40's listening to all of Pearl Jam, and keeping up with new music and new bands, and discovering older ones that I somehow missed. Most people my age and quite younger than me do not. It just seems to be the way the average person is.

Perfectly worded! And don't worry you're not alone...there are a few more of us out there who feel exactly the way you do, myself included.

On a side note here's my funny observation on that whole "They're still around?" discussion. Most people can't remember the lyrics to a song let alone name the artist who sings/wrote the song a major percentage of the time, yet later on you'll have a discussion about movies with that same person and they will start going off reciting lines/quotes directly from random movies. Strange indeed....but to each his/her own.

Peace,

RM
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    gabers wrote:
    "Yeah, I used to like Pearl Jam. Their first two albums were good then after that I didn't care for them." Does that make you instantly think that this person is an idiot, has no taste in music, or both? :)

I think it's like this,
    "yeah, they were cool before, (i.e.me , king/queen of the underground awesome music. I am so interesting and modern.) but now they dont even make it on my stereo, mp3,ipod, etc.

I have found other, more deserving music to listen to. But for you, oh you like them still? well, that's cool for you; I use to listen to them too(you who have no musical experience are unlike me who is all knowing and I have evolved past them. But you are not as cool as me, so yeah, rock on."
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........