Options

How do I break it to my dad...

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,120
    Well if it makes you feel any better, you are spending your money in a good place .... If one is gonna go broke, they should go broke due to going to Pearl Jam shows and other various amazing musical acts :D

Your dad has your best interest at heart but sometimes parents just dont freakin get it. If you have the money...do what you want with it :) Have a good time before your old , decrepit and pearl jam is no longer a band.

Yep, it's always the parents that don't get it. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    SammyK14 wrote:
    wow...didn't expect such a response...i'm 20, just finished my sophomore year of college. i realize i need a job and i'm working on it. i understand my dad's concern and everything, but it was my choice to spend the summer the way i have and its my money i'm burning through, not his, so in that sense it seems fair to me. that being said its increasingly important for college students to get jobs/internships that look good on the resume, and i probably should have locked something up sooner.

Like someone else said, get a job you hippie.

Is your dad paying for college?
  • Options
    SammyK14SammyK14 Posts: 287
    Well if it makes you feel any better, you are spending your money in a good place .... If one is gonna go broke, they should go broke due to going to Pearl Jam shows and other various amazing musical acts :D

Your dad has your best interest at heart but sometimes parents just dont freakin get it. If you have the money...do what you want with it :) Have a good time before your old , decrepit and pearl jam is no longer a band.

how dare you say such words. pearl jam will ALWAYS be a band! till the day i die and beyond! ;) thanks for the kind words, and i assure you i wouldn't waste my life savings on anything other than my favorite band. or maybe poker
    5 years of Jam...

06: Pittsburgh
    07: Lollapalooza
    08: Bonnaroo, DC
    EV (second row!!!!!!) in DC
    09: Philly 2 & 3
    10: Newark
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    Yep, it's always the parents that don't get it. ;)

Ahh...to be in my early 20's again. Limited responsibility, mortgage-free and no job.

Sometimes you have to learn the hard way. ;)

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    time to grow up bro.

credit cards........they're the devil. stay away from em.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 151
    find a job and then invite your father to the next gig with your first pay.

he will be surprise of that move
    11.09.05 Kitchener
    22.11.05 Santiago
    23.11.05 Santiago
    11.06.08 West Palm Beach
  • Options
    Ahh...to be in my early 20's again. Limited responsibility, mortgage-free and no job.

well put
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    I think, while most of us are handing out advice, many of us are envious at the same time. :D

I do suggest you heed some of our suggestions though. ;)

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    Reddev10Reddev10 Posts: 63
    Enjoy yourself while you still can and have fun.
    Terry
    www.myspace.com/terryphilly
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,120
    I think, while most of us are handing out advice, many of us are envious at the same time. :D

I do suggest you heed some of our suggestions though. ;)

PBM

Man, I find anyway I can to hit a Pearl Jam concert. I understand.

BUt he asked the question...though I really think he just wanted this kind of answer....

"Dude!!!! Screw your dad, he don't know nothin'!!!! Money should be no object!!!!" ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Man, I find anyway I can to hit a Pearl Jam concert. I understand.

BUt he asked the question...though I really think he just wanted this kind of answer....

"Dude!!!! Screw your dad, he don't know nothin'!!!! Money should be no object!!!!" ;)

haha i was expecting to get a "get a job you hippie" or 2 then have it fall into message pit oblivion. its cool to hear lots of different perspectives on it (including the "get a job you hippie" perspective). and if i really thought like "screw my dad, he dont know nothin" then i wouldn't have bothered making a thread on it. rumor has it he went to woodstock back in the day, so he must know something
    5 years of Jam...

• Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    meh, :rolleyes: ;) It's in the Dad handbook: Must provide a voice of reason, try to instill moral values and insist offspring avoid making mistakes at all costs, from a middle aged perspective of course.

If you look carefully in your handbook, chapter 10 I believe ;) , in fine print you'll see it written that it's your job to find your feet, make mistakes AND enjoy yourself and experience as many things as possible, even things that don't make sense to your Dad right now. :)

If you were my kid I'd be relieved that you'd saved up the money and you had such a healthy interest in something of value, and perhaps your Dad does see it that way secretly, he's just bound by the handbook to try to whip you into shape.

Part of being a grown up is speaking your truth to your parents. You're both on the cusp of a whole new relationship dynamic, are in the process of learning how you will interact now, both as adults. You're probably going to have a little back and forth while you sort that out. He's got to learn to let go of the reigns a little and you've got to learn to start steering this ship on your own.

Just do the dance, find the job, tell him the truth and go enjoy yourself. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    moses562moses562 Posts: 1,382
    Just tell your dad you found a job and the day of the concert is your first day... then just go to the show... Haha!

I can see your dad asking, "Where were you for 'X' hours?"

You, "Working dad! Sheesh."

Just have a good fake job in mind.
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • Options
    pjten77pjten77 Posts: 225
    Restless Soul, Enjoy Your Youth!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Toronto-96/Barrie-98/Pittsburgh-00/Toronto-00/Buffalo-03/Toronto-03/Kitchener-05/Toronto-05/Hamilton-05/Toronto I-06/Toronto 2-06/E.V. Toronto- 08/ Toronto- 09/Buffalo-10/Hamilton- 11/ London- 13/ Buffalo- 13/Detroit- 14/Ottawa-16/Toronto II-16/Fenway I & II- 16
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    tell him you want to be a rock critic.....then you can go to all the shows you want and you can chalk it up to "on the job experience" :)
  • Options
    edpearsonedpearson Posts: 331
    Hey, I was in your shoes. The simple fact is that your father provides for you in so many ways and he's just being a dad. Show some respect and get a job. You'll both be very grateful! When I had my summer's off in college, I'd hit about 4-5 Grateful Dead shows (and whatever bands came to town -- including PJ, Lollapalooza back when it was a travelling circus, etc.). So some travelling was necessary. I worked and worked a lot! The way I got around to travelling to some of these shows was by taking time off. It's not like you're working everyday so if you can schedule your work around your concerts, it's not an issue. I successfully used these as reasons to take time off and you should, too: summer vacations with the family (good for at least a week off), out-of-state family reunion (good for a 3-day weekend), and a grandparent just passed away (good for 3-4 days off, but use this excuse in extreme emergencies). Good luck and enjoy your youth!!!
    Rock on!
    ~Edward

===========================
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Yeah, I have advice....get a damn job and get your priorities in line because they seem incredibly out of whack.

I agree with your dad.
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Just tell your pops you plan on banging a hot cheerleader Friday night, but not to worry, you'll bring two jimmy hats in the rare case that one should break :)..Okay, off to MSG again..Sadly, no lotto win tonight..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    cuyler41cuyler41 Posts: 383
    Get a Job at a concert venue!
  • Options
    AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    SammyK14 wrote:
    That I am seeing YET another PJ show? (hartford on fri)

He is already on the verge of castrating/disowning me for not yet having a summer job (I can't talk to him for 30 seconds without having it come up) and spending all the money I've saved up over the past 3-4 years to see some of my fav bands this summer (PJ and others at Bonnaroo, DC, Hartford, and also STP, Tom Petty, DMB). I think he's just about convinced at this point that I must be dealing drugs to not be broke yet, and I am in fact very close to that (the being broke, not dealing drugs)! So any words of advice?

Your daddy loves you
  • Options
    F5F5 Posts: 791
    I would say maybe your dad is right.
    Bridge - 10/25/03
    Mansfield I - 6/28/08
    Eddie NYC - 8/4/08
    Seattle - 9/21/09, 9/22/09
    Salt Lake City 9/28/09
    LA 9/30/09, 10/07/09
    San Diego 10/9/09
    Alpine Valley 9/03/11, 9/04/11
    Ashbury Park 9/18/21
    LA 5/06/21, 5/07/21
    Phoenix 05/09/22
    NYC 9/11/22
    Denver 9/22/22
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    djonesr wrote:
    Tell your dad that I told you it's OK!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

In all seriousness, my dad likes PJ. So i wouldn't know the feeling.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    moses562 wrote:
    Just tell your dad you found a job and the day of the concert is your first day... then just go to the show... Haha!

I can see your dad asking, "Where were you for 'X' hours?"

You, "Working dad! Sheesh."

Just have a good fake job in mind.
    get a job at a concert venue. Then you are doing both things, seeing shows and working. :D
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    Dude... just stop wasting that money on Pearl Jam shows. I think he's more upset that you're "wasting" the money. Yes, live music is good to see but Pearl Jam aren't anything great. There are plenty of underground bands you can see for 5 bucks that are just as good if not more entertaining then Pearl Jam. Don't get sucked into the whole "Pearl Jam is some rare phenomenon band" that some people on here think cause trust me their not. Get a job if you have to and show your dad you know how to manage money. I know he thinks by seeing Pearl Jam twice you are just wasting money cause you seen them once already. Show him you understand.
    "If you lack creativity... you lack a mind!"

MSG 1 & 2/2008
  • Options
    Redmosquito91Redmosquito91 Jackson, WY Posts: 48
    wow sammy... four pages of replies.. u impress me with your abilities to generate hot topics. maybe you lead some of that magic to my thread so that u can accompany u to Hartford and we can have a blastie like we did at DC!!
    Pittsburgh 4/26/03, State College 5/3/03, Reading 10/1/04, Toledo 10/2/04, Toronto 9/19/05, Pittsburgh 9/28/05, Cleveland 5/20/06, Pittsburgh 6/23/06, Cincinnati 6/24/06, Washington D.C. 6/22/08, Cleveland 5/9/10, Pittsburgh 10/11/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, Los Angeles 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Missoula 8/13/18, Denver 9/22/22, St. Paul 8/31/23, St. Paul 9/2/23
  • Options
    SammyK14 wrote:
    i appreciate the advice, its good to hear some different perspectives. i'm living with him, so i eat and sleep for free when im home, but beyond that i'm supporting myself. also during the school year he sends me a monthly check to pay for food and school stuff

"Supporting yourself?" I have a son your age & he still lives at home and he "supports himself" too. Except when he blows his paycheck going out of town visiting friends at out-of-state college or buys another stupid video game he can't afford and then can't make his car insurance payment or put gas in his car (my car that he drives) to get to school and work. Who does he turn to then? His dear sweet mommy. He's also a college sophomore living at home but at least he works, I can give him that.

Dude, get a job. You're 20. Watch PJ on youtube and then go to as many concerts as you possibly can after you've finished college, have a place to live and have good health insurance. And then see how fun it is to break it to you wife that you're going to see yet another PJ show. You think your Dad is tough...

Sorry to rant - this is an issue close to my heart.
    And if there's something you'd like to do. Oh, just let me continue to blame you.

EV Chi 1, 08/21/08
    EV Memphis, 06/20/09
  • Options
    wow sammy... four pages of replies.. u impress me with your abilities to generate hot topics. maybe you lead some of that magic to my thread so that u can accompany u to Hartford and we can have a blastie like we did at DC!!

haha i guess people get great pleasure out of dissing a jobless college student...and im TRYING to get a job, obviously, but apparently i either have the worst resume ever or just bad luck. i guess waiting till the end of june didn't help either.
    on that note, if anyone has an extra hartford ticket they're willing to part with in exchange for a WPB 03 poster PLEASE pm Redmosquito91. he's a long time fan and a great friend, i don't think he can afford a ticket but the poster looks pretty sweet!
    5 years of Jam...

• Options
    JzacurJzacur Posts: 64
    Nah It is probably a more likely solution you are ghey. Is it too early to call Shotgun for Hartford? Does this count?
    9/28/05 PNC Park Pittsburgh- 6/23/06 Mellon Arena Pittsburgh- 8/02/07 The Vic- 8/05/07- Lollapalooza 6/22/08 DC
  • Options
    oh yeah...how did i not think of that?
    haha if i have my car back by then i suppose we can work something out
    5 years of Jam...

• Options
    JzacurJzacur Posts: 64
    yea this whole car "thing" is troubling to say the least.
    9/28/05 PNC Park Pittsburgh- 6/23/06 Mellon Arena Pittsburgh- 8/02/07 The Vic- 8/05/07- Lollapalooza 6/22/08 DC