Options

How do I break it to my dad...

SammyK14SammyK14 Posts: 287
edited June 2008 in The Porch
That I am seeing YET another PJ show? (hartford on fri)

He is already on the verge of castrating/disowning me for not yet having a summer job (I can't talk to him for 30 seconds without having it come up) and spending all the money I've saved up over the past 3-4 years to see some of my fav bands this summer (PJ and others at Bonnaroo, DC, Hartford, and also STP, Tom Petty, DMB). I think he's just about convinced at this point that I must be dealing drugs to not be broke yet, and I am in fact very close to that (the being broke, not dealing drugs)! So any words of advice?
5 years of Jam...

06: Pittsburgh
07: Lollapalooza
08: Bonnaroo, DC
EV (second row!!!!!!) in DC
09: Philly 2 & 3
10: Newark
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Yeah I have advice--get a job you hippie.
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    Just like the Fresh Prince says...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI0dCVwdedE
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    Yeah definitely get a job asap.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    djonesrdjonesr Posts: 73
    Tell your dad that I told you it's OK!
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,595
    you can always make more money..you've got your whole life ahead of you..$800-$1000 will be nothing to you in a few years when you have a career..it may be alot now..but enjoy your youth
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    Rjonesrm20Rjonesrm20 Posts: 380
    Play your Dad a PJ Boot at high volume.....he will then understand
    1998: Indy 2000: Indy, Cincy 2003: Lexington (m.e.o.), Cincy (cancelled),Indy 2004: Toledo 2005: Atlantic City 2 2006: Cleveland, Cincy 2008: Los Angeles1 (EV solo)-front row center!West Palm Beach-2nd row!, Tampa, Chicago 1&2-(EV solo) 2009: Nashville 1&2(EV solo) Memphis(EV solo) Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    you can always make more money..you've got your whole life ahead of you..$800-$1000 will be nothing to you in a few years when you have a career..it may be alot now..but enjoy your youth
    I don't know about that- I have a career and that's still a lot of money to me. But saying that, I'd still go
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    woundedorganwoundedorgan Posts: 607
    the term "Summer Job" has disappeared from my lexicon a long long time ago...I am so jealous.
    God Loves Pearl Jam
  • Options
    LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,422
    how old r u ?

SammyK14 wrote:
    That I am seeing YET another PJ show? (hartford on fri)

He is already on the verge of castrating/disowning me for not yet having a summer job (I can't talk to him for 30 seconds without having it come up) and spending all the money I've saved up over the past 3-4 years to see some of my fav bands this summer (PJ and others at Bonnaroo, DC, Hartford, and also STP, Tom Petty, DMB). I think he's just about convinced at this point that I must be dealing drugs to not be broke yet, and I am in fact very close to that (the being broke, not dealing drugs)! So any words of advice?
  • Options
    TKDTKD Posts: 163
    my advice...
    start dealing drugs asap
    stay on tour
    screw work and school
    that way when look back, or maybe through the jail bars, you can tell yourself you stuck it to the man

or you could go to the nearest temp agency tom and submit your resume
    Im a million miles away from home and I cant find a telephone...
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    Definitely get a job...he has a great point, it is nearly July 1......should have had a summer job by now. You may want to aggressively spread fliers throughout the neighborhood offering to mow yards for cash as this will show initiative and you can work on your own schedule.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    Young people should avoid wracking up bad debt as much as possible as it will only kick you in the ass when you actually try to become a responsible adult. $1,000 can quckly become $50,000 if you are not careful (assuming your father isn't going to bail you out). Your father is only looking out for your long-term well being which you are obviously avoiding doing for yourself at this point in time.
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    Avoid living beyond your means.

If you choose to do so, you will have to pay for it eventually.

I say this not in a condescending way, but as someone who has just paid off credit cards with numerous Pearl Jam items on them.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    Avoid living beyond your means.

If you choose to do so, you will have to pay for it eventually.

I say this not in a condescending way, but as someone who has just paid off credit cards with numerous Pearl Jam items on them.

PBM

well put
  • Options
    iwasthereiwasthere Posts: 511
    Funny thing is... I'm 29.... and my Dad stills thinks it's ridiculous how much money I spend on it.
    tacos
  • Options
    wash his car then tell him.
  • Options
    I_Got_ShitI_Got_Shit Posts: 325
    When I was 20 I worked as one of those douchebags who stop you on the street and try to get you to donate money to save the environment. They have these in most cities. It was an awful job but I made decent money and worked with a lot of hot chicks. Anyways, I went to all three Mansfield shows that summer, and I never could have pulled that off without a job.

It's also a good idea to do something constructive over the summer for when you're applying for internships/jobs later on. Just so you don't have that blank space on your resume.

You might not care now, but someday you'll need a job where you can sit all day and read this message board.
    *Does not include encore of Garden and Leash.
  • Options
    how old r u ?

wow...didn't expect such a response...i'm 20, just finished my sophomore year of college. i realize i need a job and i'm working on it. i understand my dad's concern and everything, but it was my choice to spend the summer the way i have and its my money i'm burning through, not his, so in that sense it seems fair to me. that being said its increasingly important for college students to get jobs/internships that look good on the resume, and i probably should have locked something up sooner.
    5 years of Jam...

• Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    SammyK14 wrote:
    wow...didn't expect such a response...i'm 20, just finished my sophomore year of college. i realize i need a job and i'm working on it. i understand my dad's concern and everything, but it was my choice to spend the summer the way i have and its my money i'm burning through, not his, so in that sense it seems fair to me. that being said its increasingly important for college students to get jobs/internships that look good on the resume, and i probably should have locked something up sooner.

Are you living with him or supporting yourself? While it may be your money to spend, he may want you to concentrate on money-management.

You're young...have fun...but you also need to be responsible and practical.

Again, not judging because we all have done things we've learned from...just passing along some advice.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    take your dad with you....after he experiences a show, he'll probably want to pay for the next one.....

or like others have said, get a job...
  • Options
    LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,422
    u r 20? y do u have to tell ur dad?

and it seems like u know u screwed up, soooo go get a job, internship something, if it doesnt happen, make sure u have one for the next time

SammyK14 wrote:
  • Options
    Are you living with him or supporting yourself? While it may be your money to spend, he may want you to concentrate on money-management.

You're young...have fun...but you also need to be responsible and practical.

Again, not judging because we all have done things we've learned from...just passing along some advice.

PBM

i appreciate the advice, its good to hear some different perspectives. i'm living with him, so i eat and sleep for free when im home, but beyond that i'm supporting myself. also during the school year he sends me a monthly check to pay for food and school stuff
    5 years of Jam...

• Options
    take your dad with you....after he experiences a show, he'll probably want to pay for the next one.....

or like others have said, get a job...

after seeing them in dc, i have some serious doubts as to whether he is physically capable of handling a show lol
    5 years of Jam...

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,120
    SammyK14 wrote:
    i appreciate the advice, its good to hear some different perspectives. i'm living with him, so i eat and sleep for free when im home, but beyond that i'm supporting myself. also during the school year he sends me a monthly check to pay for food and school stuff

I can understand why he may be angry with you. It's not about the concerts themselves, it's about the pattern you're falling into. Living at home for free, not working, spending a lot of $ on non-necessities.

Have you ever thought about helping pay for things around the house or your own schooling?

Have fun, but the best way to have fun is to be responsible and allow yourself to have fun without worrying about the cost as much.

Your father doesn't want you to continue on this pattern, because if you do, it won't be fun for you or him. So, enjoy the show, but start thinking about how you can get yourself ready to live on your own, and that doesn't mean away from home with your dad paying the bills.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    SammyK14 wrote:

That means you are not supporting yourself. I was the same way when I was your age. I hate to sound clichéd but.....you will also understand when you get a few more years under your belt.

It is great to have fun with a summer away from school, but remember, you will have the most fun if you are doing it productively. By the time I was 21, I was working two jobs (70 hours total per week) in the summer, and guess what, I always had money to do what I wanted to do, I was able to move out on my own directly after college, and new how to make a buck and support myself. Ten years later, I am running a small business and living a very comfortable life with a wonderful wife and two great kids.....alot of this comes from work ethic as a college student, and the rest came from falling flat on my face and picking myself back up and learning from that defeat.

Best of luck to you.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    SammyK14 wrote:
    after seeing them in dc, i have some serious doubts as to whether he is physically capable of handling a show lol
    well, it was worth a shot...
  • Options
    voodoopug wrote:
    That means you are not supporting yourself. I was the same way when I was your age. I hate to sound clichéd but.....you will also understand when you get a few more years under your belt.

It is great to have fun with a summer away from school, but remember, you will have the most fun if you are doing it productively. By the time I was 21, I was working two jobs (70 hours total per week) in the summer, and guess what, I always had money to do what I wanted to do, I was able to move out on my own directly after college, and new how to make a buck and support myself. Ten years later, I am running a small business and living a very comfortable life with a wonderful wife and two great kids.....alot of this comes from work ethic as a college student, and the rest came from falling flat on my face and picking myself back up and learning from that defeat.

Best of luck to you.

you need a couple extra hands around the office?
    5 years of Jam...

• Options
    ByYourSideByYourSide Posts: 14
    I would say your best bet would be to not dissappiont your dad, and, oh I dunno... Give your ticket to me? Haha
  • Options
    SammyK14 wrote:
    you need a couple extra hands around the office?

Thats the attitude to take....use your networking contacts such as this board!

Sadly, I already hired all of my summer help and I am located near Chicago anyway.

Cheers!
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    Well if it makes you feel any better, you are spending your money in a good place .... If one is gonna go broke, they should go broke due to going to Pearl Jam shows and other various amazing musical acts :D

Your dad has your best interest at heart but sometimes parents just dont freakin get it. If you have the money...do what you want with it :) Have a good time before your old , decrepit and pearl jam is no longer a band.