Options

Even Flow Bonnaroo - "Never vote Republican."

Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
edited July 2008 in The Porch
Just noticed that at the end of "Even Flow" Ed says, "Never vote Republican." Does he usually say this, or is it only on this performance. I always thought he was making a random noise.
Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,729
    Brain Of E wrote:
    Just noticed that at the end of "Even Flow" Ed says, "Never vote Republican."

yeah we should vote for Ralph Nader instead.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Like voting Democrat will change anything? That Democrat congress we elected a couple of years ago has done jack shit to turn anything around. They renewed the Patriot Act, they just granted the administration more wiretapping authority (and Obama voted for it), etc... Ed needs to grow up and realize that neither the Republican nor the Democrat party is interested in liberty. I know Ed only seems to be able to speak about politics in soundbytes, so this isn't particularly surprising.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jeffbr wrote:
    Like voting Democrat will change anything? That Democrat congress we elected a couple of years ago has done jack shit to turn anything around. They renewed the Patriot Act, they just granted the administration more wiretapping authority (and Obama voted for it), etc... Ed needs to grow up and realize that neither the Republican nor the Democrat party is interested in liberty. I know Ed only seems to be able to speak about politics in soundbytes, so this isn't particularly surprising.

okay? thanks for that but you really didn't answer my question.
  • Options
    Brain Of E wrote:
    okay? thanks for that but you really didn't answer my question.

No he usually doesn't say "Never vote Republican" during Evenflow. it was an ad-lib. question answered.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    He says it on most boots I have.
  • Options
    ovechkin8ovechkin8 Posts: 491
    No he usually doesn't say "Never vote Republican" during Evenflow. it was an ad-lib. question answered.

question answered wrong

i would say more than 50% of the time (probably closer to 75%) he says something like "never go republican" or "don't go republican" at the end of evenflow.
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    I went to both Camden's and both MSG's and grew extremely tired of his political rants. I can't recall ever voting republican but to just say "never vote republican" is obnoxious and ignorant.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,115
    "Never let a rock star determine how you vote"
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    jeffbr wrote:
    i agree......democratic congress did not accomplish anything that is on the populations "most important" list.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    From the live versions I have, he said it...

MTV Unplugged
    Atlanta '94
    Springfield, MA (unsure of date)
    Live @ the Gorge 7/22/06
    Live @ the Gorge 7/23/06
    Live on Two Legs
    NYC 7/8/03
    MSG 9/11/98 (actually says "Fuck all Republicans")
    Philly 10/3/05
    Randall Island, NY '96
    Seattle '98
    Seattle '00 ("Vote, but don't vote Republican")
  • Options
    ovechkin8 wrote:
    question answered wrong

i would say more than 50% of the time (probably closer to 75%) he says something like "never go republican" or "don't go republican" at the end of evenflow.

wow after giving a more thorough listen the end of the 2008 Evenflows, I have to concede that you're right. He's done this in prior years too?

either way George Bush completely owns Eddie Vedder and has for the last eight years so Eddie should probably give it a rest.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    WilliedogWilliedog Posts: 43
    eh, you just gotta kind of go to a Pearl Jam show and expect a political rant from Eddie. At Camden 1 the girl I took was having a good time and was kind of brought down when Eddie went into a political rant. Sometimes it can kind of ruin the flow or vibe of a concert. You just gotta expect it at a pearl jam show though.
  • Options
    binauralsoundsbinauralsounds Posts: 1,357
    jeffbr wrote:
    Like voting Democrat will change anything? That Democrat congress we elected a couple of years ago has done jack shit to turn anything around.

We have a BINGO..
  • Options
    ovechkin8 wrote:
    question answered wrong

Whoa, guess i never noticed how much he says it. Not that Ed had any influence, but i would never vote Republican anyways. makes no difference anyway, the GOP always wins Texas in every presidential election.
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,316
    yeah we should vote for Ralph Nader instead.
    Yeah, that was great advice in 2000.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    jeffbr wrote:

Actually they're making things worse. Anyone hear about that Global Warming Energy Bill they almost passed last month? Would've sent energy prices through the roof with all the goddamn regulations they wanna impose.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    Aliveguy1Aliveguy1 Posts: 50
    Things only get worse because their solution to everything is - raise taxes, get more money in to government, create more programs and try to help everyone.

Meanwhile they put the onus on people who are working their butts off to get ahead and taxing them 42% of their income.

Their programs just throw money away and things that are hugely ineffective and their solution to fix them? More money needed, more taxes.

Things like personal responsibility, adequate healthcare, incentive, etc, all are foreign concepts to that party.

The Republicans aren't much better and some of their more rightware ideals, particularly the social ones, are wholly out of date and out of touch. The lesser of two evils.
    4.7.94 9.29.96 10.1.96 6.29.98 8.20,22,23,25,26.98 9.10,11,13,15,16,19.98 8.3,4,6.00 8.23-25,27,28,29.00, 10.4.00, 10.9.00 4.29,30.03, 5.3.03 6.29.03 7.8,9,12.03 9.15,16.05; 6.24,25,27,28,30.08
  • Options
    PlantPage55PlantPage55 Posts: 136
    I prefer "Never vote" - but then it kind of cuts off early syllable-wise. XD
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?
  • Options
    Aliveguy1 wrote:
    Things only get worse because their solution to everything is - raise taxes, get more money in to government, create more programs and try to help everyone.

Meanwhile they put the onus on people who are working their butts off to get ahead and taxing them 42% of their income.

Their programs just throw money away and things that are hugely ineffective and their solution to fix them? More money needed, more taxes.

Things like personal responsibility, adequate healthcare, incentive, etc, all are foreign concepts to that party.

The Republicans aren't much better and some of their more rightware ideals, particularly the social ones, are wholly out of date and out of touch. The lesser of two evils.

I will be voting Democrat not a republican regime.
  • Options
    Pats54Pats54 Posts: 276
    Williedog wrote:
    eh, you just gotta kind of go to a Pearl Jam show and expect a political rant from Eddie. At Camden 1 the girl I took was having a good time and was kind of brought down when Eddie went into a political rant. Sometimes it can kind of ruin the flow or vibe of a concert. You just gotta expect it at a pearl jam show though.

I agree that you expect this from Ed at a PJ show but he should just shut up already. I for one go to concerts, sporting events etc. to escape the day to day political reality BS. At Mansfield he went on a rant about the Marines b/c they had a booth at one of the shows. He should be glad he lives in a country where he can do what he does. If I recall they have yet to tour in Iran, although that would be interesting.
  • Options
    Pats54Pats54 Posts: 276
    I will be voting Democrat not a republican regime.
    How is voting Dem working out for you in our lousy state. It is a democat regime here. Dem Governor and the state house is what 88% dem's. This state is a mess losing population, high tax rates etc.

This country will be relly messed up if we get Obamma with a Dem house and congress. Back to the Carter days.
  • Options
    Pats54 wrote:
    I agree that you expect this from Ed at a PJ show but he should just shut up already. I for one go to concerts, sporting events etc. to escape the day to day political reality BS. At Mansfield he went on a rant about the Marines b/c they had a booth at one of the shows. He should be glad he lives in a country where he can do what he does. If I recall they have yet to tour in Iran, although that would be interesting.

If he just shut up, it wouldn't be eddie vedder. Then it wouldn't be Pearl Jam.

And this dem vs rep shit is stupid. Just a way to divide us apart and keep us down. You know what the dems and reps have in common? They're politicians.
  • Options
    If he just shut up, it wouldn't be eddie vedder. Then it wouldn't be Pearl Jam.

Totally agree! I have no problem with Ed saying stupid things. He's got the mic.
    And this dem vs rep shit is stupid. Just a way to divide us apart and keep us down. You know what the dems and reps have in common? They're politicians.

Again, totally agree. Anyone who votes strictly by party is part of the problem. Vote the issue. Vote the person. Fuck the party.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    jeffbr wrote:
    THANK YOU! :D
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    Pats54 wrote:

why should be shut up? he has the same right to say whatever he wants as you do to type this post. if someone thinks your thoughts are BS are you going to say "ok i'll shut up now." so if you don't agree then fine, you don't have to, just don't think that he's ever gonna shut up because of that. besides, you already know Ed goes on these rants, and if you don't want to hear them, don't go to the shows or don't listen to the boots. and even if you do go to the show, i'd think it's worth it if you have to listen to a few minutes of Ed talking about something you don't agree with if it gets you a couple hours of good music.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,419
    He says it at the end of the Even Flow video.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i dont know if it makes me an idiot, but i never noticed that he said that at the end of the song live. i think its awesome.
  • Options
    Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
    How can the Dem congress do anything with Nazi Bush vetoing everything?
  • Options
    bernmodibernmodi Posts: 631
    Dogman3 wrote:

You're absolutely right, except, please don't call Bush a Nazi, he's just an asshole.

Guess American Politics are just a riddle to most Europeans. After the last 8 years, how can any American really believe he will be better of with another republican president?
  • Options
    Dogman3 wrote:

Congress is relegated to inaction due to fear of a veto? Better to take up a cause and get vetoed than be seen as capitulating, as far as I'm concerned. But I don't believe your reasoning about why congress hasn't done anything. I think congress hasn't done anything because Democrats and Republicans are more alike than different when it comes to growing government and taking liberties. The FISA wiretapping issue highlights this. It wasn't inactivity, or fear of a veto. Most Dems (including Obama) voted FOR it. They actively voted in favor of violating the 4th ammendment. So quit making excuses for that worthless congress.