Options

How Long at Bridge

2»

Comments

• Options
    riffrandallriffrandall Posts: 685
    LongRd. wrote:
    when does Bridge School announce their line ups and news?
    nothing so far in their Web site.

Basically whenever the urge strikes Neil to put one together.

But if I were a betting woman (which I am) I would say look for one after all is set for Farm Aid. Give it another month or so.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    LukinFan wrote:
    i looked up flights the other day, and IF I got it now, I'd be paying around $500. I couldn't even imagine what's it's gonna be like as it gets closer.

That's what pretty much killed my East Coast EV Solo Tour, sigh.

But yeah, Bridge is awesome -- but be forewarned, if there's any inkling that a pretty big named band is on the bill, PJ prolly won't headline. As much as the affinity is there for Neil and PJ and all, I think they still market to the masses. Two years ago, all the playbills, posters, t-shirts and what not had Pearl Jam listed on top of everything ... silly us, of course DMB was the headline. Sigh. (yeah it's on all the material too, no guarantee of order of bands playing....)

Maybe this year?!?!?

Seem to recall announcement is pretty tight -- six to eight weeks prior?
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    NiteLite10NiteLite10 Posts: 144
    I think the line up should be announced in early september with tickets going on sale within a week or two after.

PJ has played anywhere from 25 to 50 minutes each night in the past.

Unfortunately, it usually seems like they are the ones to cut their set short when things are running late. I guess because they have played bridge so often.

To reiterate what someone else said... they usually do not take the headlining spot... (although I imagine they could) ... depends on who else plays.
  • Options
    This would've been a great show. Is there a DVD out there?

http://www.thrasherswheat.org/2006/10/bridge-school-benefit-concerts-2006.html
    model role model
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    UncleNeil wrote:
    Headliners get an hour at most and more like 50 minutes. Ive been to 12 straight Bridge Benefits. The longest headliner I can recall was Neil in '99 when he did over an hour. That was a really bad year weather wise too. Cold, rainy but still a great time.

I think they play closer to 40 minutes (PJ).
    No one ever plays for over an hour unless you count any jam with everyone at the end.
    I went in 99 and it was one of the greatest concerts I've been to especially consdering the ticket cost. Yeah, no one plays very long but if you're lucky you see amazing bands the whole night. If I remember, '99 started at 5:00 and went till 1 or something.

The Who!!! (this was before they toured constantly and The Ox was still alive...seriously how many acoustic shows have the Who ever done???)
    Neil Young
    Pearl Jam
    Tom Waits!!
    Green Day
    Sheryl Crow (meh)
    Brian Wilson (meh, think they gave him almost an hour)
    Billy Corgan & James Iha
    Lucinda Williams (meh)
    Was that it?
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    No one ever plays for over an hour unless you count any jam with everyone at the end.
    I went in 99 and it was one of the greatest concerts I've been to especially consdering the ticket cost. Yeah, no one plays very long but if you're lucky you see amazing bands the whole night. If I remember, '99 started at 5:00 and went till 1 or something.

The Who!!! (this was before they toured constantly and The Ox was still alive...seriously how many acoustic shows have the Who ever done???)
    Neil Young
    Pearl Jam
    Tom Waits!!
    Green Day
    Sheryl Crow (meh)
    Billy Corgan & James Iha
    Lucinda Williams (meh)
    Was that it?

Wow!!
    I forgot how cool that 1999 lineup was for the Bridge.

Neil Young
    Pearl Jam
    The Who
    Tom Waits
    Brian Wilson

All Acoustic performances all in one night ???

Holy Christ!! I would have lost my mind

That is easily the best Bridge School ever. Should have been a DVD released for that one!!
  • Options
    beachdwellerbeachdweller Posts: 1,532
    UncleNeil wrote:
    Headliners get an hour at most and more like 50 minutes. Ive been to 12 straight Bridge Benefits. The longest headliner I can recall was Neil in '99 when he did over an hour. That was a really bad year weather wise too. Cold, rainy but still a great time.

seems longer, especially Sir Paul a few years ago. Though PJ headlining will probably do an hr longer like Bonnaroo, lol - hopefully Kanye won't be playing that night :D
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 615
    UncleNeil wrote:
    pearl jam is one of the few that actually changes their sets each night. most of the bands play the same sets, both days. i enjoyed 99 the best. those songs werent released yet if i recall.

They did play some unreleased songs that year. "Thin Air" & "Nothing As it Seems" were both played for the first time that year. I remember in 2001 when then broke out "Last Soldier". It's never been played before or since.
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    a plane ticket from chicago is $650? are you fucking kidding me?
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    honestly...I've been to about 4 PJ bridge years and they are great, but don't expect them to blow your mind. It seems like they always get screwed on time. Last time they played at Bridge I was more impressed with Trent Reznor!

If DMB plays I will not be going. I can't stand his fans or his half hour jam session. He annoy the living crap out of me!
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    I have gone to 12 bridge shows (6 with pearl jam) Twice Pearl Jam blew me away, and all of the other times they were solid...the beautiful thing about the Bridge School Benefit is that almost every year a band will surprise you and steal the show.
    Not to mention there is a great vibe at the show and it is for a great cause...I would recommend it to any rock music fan
  • Options
    There's been 2 times when Neil has not been the headliner. Once was 2004 when Paul McCartney got it, and then in 2007 Neil stepped aside and let Jerry Lee Lewis & Metallica go after him.
    DMB was not the headliner in 2006.

Trust me when I tell you, if PJ is on the bill this year, they will not headline over Neil. That would never happen.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • Options
    UncleNeilUncleNeil Posts: 120
    In all the years I went, I think the biggest 'show stealers' were Tom Waits, Tenacious D & Billy Idol. Especially Idol. Steve Stevens blew the crowd away. What an awesome guitarist (which I had already known to begin with). I'm not saying I thought they were the best acts over the years, I am saying that every year there is a band that surprises you and catches you off guard.

That said, I have seen some real crap at The Bridge too. Tegan & Sara, Bare Naked Ladies & others who aren't coming to mind right now.

And to echo other peoples thoughts, I don't recall PJ ever headlining either night of The Bridge.
    Bridge Benefit 99, 01, 03, 04 (EV), 06
    Las Vegas 03, 06, MSG I & II - 2008
    Halloween Philadelphia, MSG II 2010
  • Options
    rocketmanrocketman Posts: 68
    LukinFan wrote:
    Does anyone remember how long PJ usually plays at Bridge? I'm assuming about an hour and a half and just the one day.

Trying to see if it's worth making the trip.

I would quash this rumor right away. Until the announcement is posted dont count on anything. I dont care who said they talked to Mike in some restaurant. No way Mike would leak that info, especially in July. The lineup is not even announced until the mid to end of September and even then the lineup is subject to change. Ed cancelled last year at the last minute. No explanation.

That being said, if tradition holds, this is a PJ year to play and Ed owes Neil a gig. But until it announced on the Bridge School web site I would not book it quite yet. You might end up really pissed.

It is usually a great weekend of music. PJ is around this summer. So are the Foos and The Who will be touring around that time to name a few.
  • Options
    UncleNeil wrote:
    In all the years I went, I think the biggest 'show stealers' were Tom Waits, Tenacious D & Billy Idol. Especially Idol. Steve Stevens blew the crowd away. What an awesome guitarist (which I had already known to begin with). I'm not saying I thought they were the best acts over the years, I am saying that every year there is a band that surprises you and catches you off guard.

That said, I have seen some real crap at The Bridge too. Tegan & Sara, Bare Naked Ladies & others who aren't coming to mind right now.

And to echo other peoples thoughts, I don't recall PJ ever headlining either night of The Bridge.
    There is no headlining at this gig. The year the Who played they actually opened the show and Neil closed it. The next night the order was changed. Its not that kind of gig.
  • Options
    UncleNeil wrote:
    99 was the best show ever.
  • Options
    UncleNeil wrote:
    pearl jam is one of the few that actually changes their sets each night. most of the bands play the same sets, both days. i enjoyed 99 the best. those songs werent released yet if i recall.
    Was that the year they debuted Corduroy for the first time with Jack Irons on bongos?? THAT was amazing,
  • Options
    rocketman wrote:
    I would quash this rumor right away. Until the announcement is posted dont count on anything. I dont care who said they talked to Mike in some restaurant. No way Mike would leak that info, especially in July. The lineup is not even announced until the mid to end of September and even then the lineup is subject to change. Ed cancelled last year at the last minute. No explanation.

That being said, if tradition holds, this is a PJ year to play and Ed owes Neil a gig. But until it announced on the Bridge School web site I would not book it quite yet. You might end up really pissed.

It is usually a great weekend of music. PJ is around this summer. So are the Foos and The Who will be touring around that time to name a few.

Thank you!!! Finally someone else who knows what they are talking about.
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    pearl jam...or no pearl jam...

i will be partying on that lawn in san jose.....
    Nice shirt.
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    There's been 2 times when Neil has not been the headliner. Once was 2004 when Paul McCartney got it, and then in 2007 Neil stepped aside and let Jerry Lee Lewis & Metallica go after him.
    DMB was not the headliner in 2006.

Trust me when I tell you, if PJ is on the bill this year, they will not headline over Neil. That would never happen.

If by headliner you mean going last, Neil also did not headline in 1999. The Who played last...at least on Saturday they did... Sunday they might have played earlier and switched around.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    Smashing Pumpkins played last one year(and brought out surprise guest Marilyn Manson), and I think Simon and Garfunkel closed the show once...I don't know if that means they "headlined" or not... but it really doesn't matter, every year two or three of the performers could easily be considered a headliner
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
  • Options

Neil Young
    Pearl Jam
    Tom Waits!!
    Green Day
    Sheryl Crow (meh)
    Billy Corgan & James Iha
    Lucinda Williams (meh)
    Was that it?

That was THE most epic show I have ever been to. Were you there when Brian Wilson got the heebie geebies and walked off the stage right in the middle of Good Vibrations? Classic. He is brought back out on stage supported by Eddie and Roger Daltry on vocals and Neil on Organ. Amazing moment.
  • Options
    stickfig13 wrote:
    honestly...I've been to about 4 PJ bridge years and they are great, but don't expect them to blow your mind. It seems like they always get screwed on time. Last time they played at Bridge I was more impressed with Trent Reznor!

If DMB plays I will not be going. I can't stand his fans or his half hour jam session. He annoy the living crap out of me!
    I agree. I was really annoyed at the DMB hogging the stage and going over their time by like 20 minutes. I walked out on them.