Options

PJ Take Note: "Metallica gig for FANS ONLY" (Tickets: $10!!!)

jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,575
edited September 2008 in The Porch
Just saw this:

Thrash metal rockers Metallica have revealed they will play a gig at London's O2 Arena on September 15th.

Fans of the group can see them perform in the capital for just £5 a ticket, the band has said on its website.

The rockers say they want to "hang" with some of their closest friends from their fan club and Mission Metallica group and as a result, tickets will only be available to those who are registered on the sites.

"Because this is a celebration, tickets prices will be, shall we say, 'retro?' Only ten euros for Berlin, five pounds in London! And the best part is that all the proceeds from the sale of tickets will be donated to charity," the band said on its website.

http://www.tourdates.co.uk/news/12547-Metallica-announce-London-gig
"Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Slip KidSlip Kid Posts: 1,175
    yeah PJ needs to do this I agree
    I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,082
    Can you imagine how this place were to IMPLODE if you were not chosen as one of their "closest friends from the fanclub"??!!!! :eek:
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    Lizard wrote:
    Can you imagine how this place were to IMPLODE if you were not chosen as one of their "closest friends from the fanclub"??!!!! :eek:
    do i dare say seniority?
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Lizard wrote:

It was done by three days of pre-sales (different levels of membership ... including free) with each member having an individual pre-sale code that could only ebe used once. So all the fan club members that wanted to go got tickets in the first day of the pre-sale.

Second day those signed up to the premium mailing list (I bought tickets through this) ... this is also getting them e-mailed tracks from the album over the next few days.

Third day ... free mailing list peeps.

Something else that it might be good for PJ to do .. you could buy 1 or 2 tickets
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    I got tickets for this show, wwwwwwwoooooooooooooooooooo
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • Options
    jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,575
    mole1985 wrote:
    I got tickets for this show, wwwwwwwoooooooooooooooooooo

SOooooooooooooooo Jealous!!!! Have a great time bro!
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • Options
    All the North America dates come with a free download of the show PLUS tickets are the same price they were in 2004.
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    Chime wrote:
    Something else that it might be good for PJ to do .. you could buy 1 or 2 tickets

I would hae to agree that IF PJ did sometihng like this where they played one or more places that are small, they could go to 1 ticket per member. That way if it holds 2,000 people then 2,000 TCers get in, and not half that.

It's a cool thing but probably financially not at all worthwhile for an act. It sure would be cool if they could toss a few into the next tour though... ;)
  • Options
    petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    wonder if they'll play $10 worth of good music
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • Options
    petrocs wrote:
    wonder if they'll play $10 worth of good music

:D I couldn't agree more... Can't stand Metallica
    PJ FANS ROCK!!!

Finally got that "One for the Thumb"!!! Got the "Six Pack". Now we're on a "Stairway to Seven"

Some words when spoken...can't be taken back.

"Seeing a brick wall straight ahead and stepping on the gas." Eddie...Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • Options
    Metallica has alienated a lot of their fans over the years, from Napster, to releasing crappy music. They need to do something to regain the goodwill they squandered.
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    vedderelf wrote:
    Metallica has alienated a lot of their fans over the years, from Napster, to releasing crappy music. They need to do something to regain the goodwill they squandered.

Not a bad start.
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Another Metallica thread on the PJ message pit?

I like Metallica and the new CD is great but they are just aweful live. I've only seen them myself once in 1985 and it was pretty good then but all of the live recordings I hear these days suck. I don't know if it's their style or what but it just doesn't come across good IMHO.
    #FHP
  • Options
    My housemates got tickets for this, I think it's a great idea :)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    Horos wrote:
    Another Metallica thread on the PJ message pit?

I like Metallica and the new CD is great but they are just aweful live. I've only seen them myself once in 1985 and it was pretty good then but all of the live recordings I hear these days suck. I don't know if it's their style or what but it just doesn't come across good IMHO.

You have to be there to experience it. I'd say Radiohead and Metallica are the only 2 bands I would put ahead of Metallica in terms of a live show.
  • Options
    You have to be there to experience it. I'd say Radiohead and Metallica are the only 2 bands I would put ahead of Metallica in terms of a live show.

typo
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    any band where the drummer exerts that much influence should be avoided.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    Nice !!!!You're a fellow guitarist EH....
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    I saw Metallica, they were OK, $10 is about right.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    It's a shame that even if PJ did do this, it still wouldn't cut out the loud, drunk asshole that pisses in their seat type of fan. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    please do not bash the tenclub and pj or say they should do this or that like metallica...it is not necessary
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    Just saw this:

Thrash metal rockers Metallica have revealed they will play a gig at London's O2 Arena on September 15th.

Fans of the group can see them perform in the capital for just £5 a ticket, the band has said on its website.

The rockers say they want to "hang" with some of their closest friends from their fan club and Mission Metallica group and as a result, tickets will only be available to those who are registered on the sites.

"Because this is a celebration, tickets prices will be, shall we say, 'retro?' Only ten euros for Berlin, five pounds in London! And the best part is that all the proceeds from the sale of tickets will be donated to charity," the band said on its website.

http://www.tourdates.co.uk/news/12547-Metallica-announce-London-gig

PJ already does more than any band for their fans, by all the demands made on this site, I sometimes wonder why they do it.
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,740
    Metallica lost it years ago, hence why they play 90% of their set from the 80's albums still......
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,740
    dunkman wrote:

and has to play the show stood up so people can see him and notice how much he's putting into it.......Sit down Lars!!
  • Options
    It is good that they are doing it for charity.
    I really don't listen to them though.
    Hold On
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Meh. Pearl Jam could do 25 shows like this in 25 different cities (so could Metallica for that matter) and still not accomodate all those that probably think they deserve a "fans only" show.

I'd just settle for them touring more.

Donating cheapened ticket sales to charity also strikes me as a little...cheap.

Hey, I like Metallica and will probably try to see them on the Death Magnetic tour if they come my way, but while this isn't anything worth stroking them over, sorry. An OK idea but I don't really care if PJ ever attempts anything like this or not.
  • Options
    the funny thing is we dont even care about the tickets costing 10 bucks if pj does this. i would pay a sick amount for a 10c only show as would a ton of us. and yes, 1 per member......no bringing dates or buddies who only know jeremy and daughter!
    Mansfield II: # 23, since '03

routine was the theme..

there aint gonna be any middle any more
  • Options
    This is pretty cool. Lars on You Tube talking about people covering their music and posting their videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl2qocBpM1U
  • Options
    PJ already does more than any band for their fans, by all the demands made on this site, I sometimes wonder why they do it.

Pearl Jam will never ever come close to what Metallica does for their fans. I could go on and on but the most recent notable thing...yesterday Metallica did a nationally broadcast radio show with Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins interviewing them. Metallica brought a bunch of fan club members and radio station winners to their headquarters in the San fran area. Not only did they get to hang out at the HQ but the band even had a 2 hour cookout for them. The whole band and their families were there eating and mingling with the fans (As well as Dave and Taylor). That's pretty awesome. That is just one of the numerous things they do for their fans (Functioning ticket pre-sales, a functional website, news directly to the fans first, staff in chat rooms for customer assistance when high demand items go on sale, meet and greets, etc)

I have been into Paearl Jam since 1991 and Metallica since 1996. Being a diehard fan of both bands with no bias, I can honestly say Metallica are leaps and bounds better to their fans than any other band out there. I get the impression that the fans are much farther from the minds of Pearl Jam than they were 10 years ago.
  • Options
    there going to make a whopping $20
    Tour with fucking NOFX