Formula One Freaks-this is it!

Comments

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Get_Right wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    This was a very exciting season. All the tops teams had reliability problems and DNF's throughout the season.
    Driver's championship was up for grabs all year. Cant wait for next season. Rygar, hopefully I will make it up there next year! Still pissed I couldn't go this year.
    Aim for 2012, not sure I'm making 2011 ;)

Yes very good point - all the top teams had some reliability issues. Ferrari managed Alonso's engines pretty good, the one he used in AD was low mileage and never race-used.
    Disappointing finish as a fan of a team, but pretty good season as a fan of the sport.
    2012 might find me in Austin, Texas!
    Hey ya never know, maybe me too!
    Another Hermann Tilke track but we'll see, I like the layout.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    Rygar wrote:
    Whats your beef with the Tilke circuits? Yas Marina is spectacular IMHO.
    Beers on me at Stubbs BBQ!
    Although I have to say, the experience in Montreal is tough to beat.
    Couple more years, and my boy will make the trip with me. 15 more years and I can take him to Chez Paris! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Get_Right wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    Whats your beef with the Tilke circuits? Yas Marina is spectacular IMHO.
    Beers on me at Stubbs BBQ!
    Although I have to say, the experience in Montreal is tough to beat.
    Couple more years, and my boy will make the trip with me. 15 more years and I can take him to Chez Paris! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Ha! Nice!
    The beef with Tilke circuits is the complete lack of passing opportunities. Every set up for a good pass is instead ruined with a chicane or worse, common characteristic of his tracks. Yas Marina is a beautiful circuit, yes, I love the look of it and it's really just missing a few tweaks, but those tweaks are the difference between a parade and a race.
    Rygar wrote:
    Ha! Nice!
    The beef with Tilke circuits is the complete lack of passing opportunities. Every set up for a good pass is instead ruined with a chicane or worse, common characteristic of his tracks. Yas Marina is a beautiful circuit, yes, I love the look of it and it's really just missing a few tweaks, but those tweaks are the difference between a parade and a race.
    Long straits=passing opportunities for fast cars
    I dont think the lack of passing opportunities is unique to Tilke tracks.
    Get_Right wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    Ha! Nice!
    Long straits=passing opportunities for fast cars
    I dont think the lack of passing opportunities is unique to Tilke tracks.
    No, it isn't unique to his tracks, but it is common to his tracks.
    I thought that all you needed was a long straight as well, but the turns onto the straights and exits don't lend themselves to a passing setup, especially when these cars are so close in performance.
    I am somewhat surprised that Webber was on the moon every time Alonso went off trying something on Petrov, given his car's advantage.
    Rygar wrote:
    I thought that all you needed was a long straight as well, but the turns onto the straights and exits don't lend themselves to a passing setup, especially when these cars are so close in performance.
    I am somewhat surprised that Webber was on the moon every time Alonso went off trying something on Petrov, given his car's advantage.
    Webber had a bad day. Maybe the rebuilt chassis after Korea? The team sabotaged his car so the golden boy would win without appearing give team orders. ;)

But you may be right, Whitmarsh agrees with you about the Yas Marina circuit.
    http://www.autoweek.com/article/20101116/F1/101119898
    Get_Right wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    Webber had a bad day. Maybe the rebuilt chassis after Korea? The team sabotaged his car so the golden boy would win without appearing give team orders. ;)

But you may be right, Whitmarsh agrees with you about the Yas Marina circuit.
    http://www.autoweek.com/article/20101116/F1/101119898
    We both have motives for thinking that, but I've been complaining about Hilke's tracks all year haha!

I should start those rumours about Webbers car being sabotaged, my Red Bull friends would go crazy.
    Rygar wrote:
    I should start those rumours about Webbers car being sabotaged, my Red Bull friends would go crazy.
    HAHAHAHA go for it.

They probably started doing it a few races back. :lol::lol:
    Get_Right wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    HAHAHAHA go for it.

They probably started doing it a few races back. :lol::lol:
    They don't read autoweek either so I already know who investigated it ;)
    Not funny: Renault race driver Robert Kubica has been diagnosed with multiple fractures to his right arm, leg and hand after suffering a high-speed accident on Sunday while competing in the Ronde di Andora Rally in Italy.

Funny: Top of the list to stand in for the Pole will be Bruno Senna, who raced for HRT last season and was announced as a Renault third driver earlier this week.
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    Can't those guys in Bahrain just stop protesting for one weekend, F1 is suppose to start, ah well I guess it's better they cancelled it. ;)

Can't wait for this season, New cars are looking great, I think Mercedes should be solid this season, the cars also probably one of the best looking of the 2011 machines.

Great web site this

http://en.espnf1.com/
    MrAbraham wrote:
    Can't those guys in Bahrain just stop protesting for one weekend, F1 is suppose to start, ah well I guess it's better they cancelled it. ;)

Can't wait for this season, New cars are looking great, I think Mercedes should be solid this season, the cars also probably one of the best looking of the 2011 machines.

Great web site this

26 days to Australia (or thereabouts) isn't too bad.

Scuderia+Ferrari.jpg
    very excited for the new season
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I'm looking forward to this season, more dodgy team orders, surprise results etc. 3 Brits in there this year and I'll be interested to see how they do.

Looking forward to the Moto GP season even more.
    Rygar wrote:
    MrAbraham wrote:

Great web site this

26 days to Australia (or thereabouts) isn't too bad.

Scuderia+Ferrari.jpg

ah The Scuderia!

Ferrari is no doubt going to be quick this season, I like Alonso, not thrilled about the "Massa, Alonso is quicker than you"

As I'm also A Massa fan and don't think he get's the respect he deserves, before his accident he was having a solid season, and the season before that he showed enough class to make me a supporter of him.
    oh and this is the first Season F1 is going to broadcast in true HD...! Wooohooo! :mrgreen:

Not just a Digital Zoom, :ugeek:
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    I'm glad it's starting in Australia again, that Bahrain GP last year was awful.
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/20 ... p=34sports

quick update on final test week..
    MrAbraham wrote:
    ah The Scuderia!

Ferrari is no doubt going to be quick this season, I like Alonso, not thrilled about the "Massa, Alonso is quicker than you"

As I'm also A Massa fan and don't think he get's the respect he deserves, before his accident he was having a solid season, and the season before that he showed enough class to make me a supporter of him.
    I'll always cheer Ferrari!

Massa is definitely a likeable guy, but he was out of it last season. I hope he is a contender this year (along with Alonso, of course, who really impressed the second half of the season).
    RBR is still the team to beat, in my opinion (not that I'm an expert).

A read (for comedic purposes): http://www.planetf1.com/off-on-f1/6806721/Massa-Wins-Bahrain-Grand-Prix
    MrAbraham wrote:

The new Mercedes does look really good. Schumacher probably out for redemption as he was passed like he was standing still by just about everyone last season. Alonso will be in the hunt to run down the Red Bulls but they will be tough to beat again.

Hope Kubica makes a full recovery. Almost lost his hand in that crash.
    I root for everyone BUT ferrari :lol:
    The red bulls will be very tough to beat. Really all I care about is having a competitive season with multiple winners and the championships coming down to the last race.
    Get_Right wrote:
    The red bulls will be very tough to beat. Really all I care about is having a competitive season with multiple winners and the championships coming down to the last race.
    You're one of the rare breeds though that dislikes Ferrari but retains an objective viewpoint ;)
    Hopefully the Red Bulls don't destroy everyone.
    eddiec wrote:
    MrAbraham wrote:

The new Mercedes does look really good. Schumacher probably out for redemption as he was passed like he was standing still by just about everyone last season. Alonso will be in the hunt to run down the Red Bulls but they will be tough to beat again.

Hope Kubica makes a full recovery. Almost lost his hand in that crash.

Schumi was rusty last season, make some big mistakes, but near the close of 2010 he started to get his aim in the right direction, I think with a good car he'll be battling it out for wins.

Kubica is/was one of the best drivers on the grid, a truly skilled driver. But that was a big accident he had,
    Rygar wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    You're one of the rare breeds though that dislikes Ferrari but retains an objective viewpoint ;)
    Hopefully the Red Bulls don't destroy everyone.
    Yeah since the honda and aguri teams bowed out, I have zero loyalty. I do tend to root for jenson and I do like hambone over alonso ;)

Just excited for the season to begin!
    Get_Right wrote:
    I do like hambone over alonso ;)
    ewwww!!!
    I have a Mclaren friend who's jumping ship to Ferrari this year cause he hates hambone hehehe
    Rygar wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    ewwww!!!
    you sound like a girl
    typical ferrari fan :lol::lol::lol:;)
    Get_Right wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    ewwww!!!
    you sound like a girl
    typical ferrari fan :lol::lol::lol:;)
    haha!
    One more week until we get to see what the teams are bringing to the party.
    VERY excited for qualifying.
    I hope Peter Windsor is back doing the on track interviews.
    Cars look good, 107 rule in effect to eliminate the slow cars on race day, lift of the team orders ban, Pirelli tires.

Should be a good season.

Go Jenson and Kamui. And I have to say a part of me is rooting for Renault after the Kubica accident.
    Get_Right wrote:
    Cars look good, 107 rule in effect to eliminate the slow cars on race day, lift of the team orders ban, Pirelli tires.

Should be a good season.

Go Jenson and Kamui. And I have to say a part of me is rooting for Renault after the Kubica accident.

I love watching Kobayashi drive! He's for sure a real racer, attacks and is not scared to make moves. What exactly is the 107 rule?
    MrAbraham wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:

Should be a good season.

I love watching Kobayashi drive! He's for sure a real racer, attacks and is not scared to make moves. What exactly is the 107 rule?

In Formula One, the 107% rule is a Sporting Regulation that affects qualifying sessions from the beginning of the 2011 season as well as previous qualifying sessions from the beginning of the 1996 season until the end of the 2002 season. It stipulates that a driver who does not lap within 107% of the pole position time during the hour-long session the day before the race will not be eligible to compete in the race, subject to the discretion of the stewards.

The 107% rule was reintroduced for the 2011 season with minor modifications due to the knock-out qualifying session format.

I had to look it up myself.