Formula One Freaks-this is it!

Comments

• IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    Rygar wrote:
    MrAbraham wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    Kimi Raikkonen going to NASCAR.
    Ugh.

Kimi got a bit lucky winning the F1 title, he's not doing much in rally, perhaps NASCAR will be his thing. :lol:
    Lucky in what way?
    All F1 contenders get a bit of luck throughout the season.

Yeah that's true, but Kimi was a poor champion. Also that season he won, meh, he hardly raced like a world champion during it.

I'm not going to call him a selfish racer, but rather a lazy racer, which when he is really racing he is pretty good.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    MrAbraham wrote:
    Yeah that's true, but Kimi was a poor champion. Also that season he won, meh, he hardly raced like a world champion during it.

I'm not going to call him a selfish racer, but rather a lazy racer, which when he is really racing he is pretty good.
    Well he raced fine, but he acted like a statue as he always does :P
    Rygar wrote:
    MrAbraham wrote:

Well he raced fine, but he acted like a statue as he always does :P

I liked Kimi in F1, cause he always made me laugh, and when he speaks in interviews! classic, who knows what hes saying? Its too funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykz8AsUOC_o
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    F1 politics must be even more messed up then I could possibly imagine if drivers are leaving their road course and technologically superior cars to compete in oval track NASCAR. I can't imagine leaving an F1 car to race a stockcar.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,472
    Jason P wrote:
    F1 politics must be even more messed up then I could possibly imagine if drivers are leaving their road course and technologically superior cars to compete in oval track NASCAR. I can't imagine leaving an F1 car to race a stockcar.
    In Kimi's case, he is just being stubborn about his fee to race in F1.
    He has had plenty of offers from strong teams, but he refuses to take a pay cut.
    Considering Ferrari paid him $50 million a year, its not surprising he does not have an F1 ride.
    Get_Right wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    He has had plenty of offers from strong teams, but he refuses to take a pay cut.
    Considering Ferrari paid him $50 million a year, its not surprising he does not have an F1 ride.
    And he hasn't been in F1 for 2 years.
    Get_Right wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    Good lord that is a bunch of money! So Kimi said, "Piss off, no paycut for me! I'm off to race rally and NASCAR Truck Series!"?

Anyway, I hope F1 and Indy can get back together. It sounds like F1 management may have some new faces and Tony George is no longer working for I.M.S. so maybe there is a chance to reconcile from the 2005 Michelin tire mega-travashamockery debacle.
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Jason P wrote:
    Anyway, I hope F1 and Indy can get back together. It sounds like F1 management may have some new faces and Tony George is no longer working for I.M.S. so maybe there is a chance to reconcile from the 2005 Michelin tire mega-travashamockery debacle.

probably not

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 11198.html
    Jason P wrote:
    Good lord that is a bunch of money! So Kimi said, "Piss off, no paycut for me! I'm off to race rally and NASCAR Truck Series!"?
    Basically.
    norm wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

probably not

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 11198.html
    I had not heard of the Austin track. Texas seem like an odd choice. Maybe they are hoping for lot of Central American attendance

A lot of bridges must have been burned in Indy.
    Jason P wrote:

well yeah, they had to deal with tony george...the man that took gold and turned it into aluminum :roll:
    Jason P wrote:
    I had not heard of the Austin track. Texas seem like an odd choice. Maybe they are hoping for lot of Central American attendance

Nah. Oil millionaires and short flights from CA and NY. And cheap land-relatively speaking.
    http://response.jp/article/2011/03/30/154043.html

this made me laugh
    you have to paste it and scroll down the page to see the vid
    They want the Austin track to be the first F1 track to offer artificial rain :cry: wtf is that about?

Come on Bernie, artificial rain? You crazy?
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,834
    When are they just gonna stop the crap and make Laguna Seca (or whatever Mazda thing they call it now) the official home of the F1 US GP?

I never liked F1 at Indy. An oval track modified. Doesn't work for me.
    eddiec wrote:
    When are they just gonna stop the crap and make Laguna Seca (or whatever Mazda thing they call it now) the official home of the F1 US GP?

Laguna Seca would suck for F1 cars, at least from my perspective.
    Rygar wrote:
    eddiec wrote:

why?
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,834
    Rygar wrote:
    eddiec wrote:

I've heard people say it's small for F1 (seating) but the champ cars worked really well there. There just aren't that many good permanent tracks in the US. Watkins Glen is a great track but not sure if it can hold enough people to support an F1 race. I'm interested as to what people think would be a good US race.
    Any suggestions?
    eddiec wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    eddiec wrote:

I've heard people say it's small for F1 (seating) but the champ cars worked really well there. There just aren't that many good permanent tracks in the US. Watkins Glen is a great track but not sure if it can hold enough people to support an F1 race. I'm interested as to what people think would be a good US race.
    Any suggestions?
    As long as Bernie is alive, I highly doubt you will see F1 in the US anywhere but on a built for F1 track unless a city is willing to do a street circuit-and given the state of most local budgets these days, that is highly unlikely.

You would think the folks in vegas would might find a way to bring F1-but maybe vegas it too trashy for bernie.
    norm wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    eddiec wrote:

why?
    I like LS a fair bit but seems to me it's too slow for F1. I'm very familiar with the track, but eddiec says it's good for champ so I could be wrong I guess.
    on a side note, the lap record for Laguna Seca was set by the 2006 Toyota F1 car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QUxMXQ9D64
    MrAbraham wrote:
    on a side note, the lap record for Laguna Seca was set by the 2006 Toyota F1 car.

Shouldn't an F1 car be able to set a lap record on any track (not including a rally track, of course)?

On another side note, f@%# you, Red Bull.
    Rygar wrote:
    MrAbraham wrote:

Shouldn't an F1 car be able to set a lap record on any track (not including a rally track, of course)?

Yeah we think that would be the case when we consider that F1 cars are at the top of class, but some tracks are just not conducive to F1 cars, be it not allowing enough room to get up to speed/flow, allowing proper grip around corners etc etc.

Laguna Seca was thought to be one of those tracks, but the video shows that it's not the case. I like Seca, play it all the time in GT5 :lol:
    ---

Red Buuuuuuull! hahah, but Hamilton was right on the edge of that McLaren, should be a great race start tomorrow.
    MrAbraham wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    MrAbraham wrote:

Yeah we think that would be the case when we consider that F1 cars are at the top of class, but some tracks are just not conducive to F1 cars, be it not allowing enough room to get up to speed/flow, allowing proper grip around corners etc etc.

Laguna Seca was thought to be one of those tracks, but the video shows that it's not the case. I like Seca, play it all the time in GT5 :lol:
    ---

Red Buuuuuuull! hahah, but Hamilton was right on the edge of that McLaren, should be a great race start tomorrow.
    Yeah Laguna usually gets lots of playtime in GT5, Forza, etc, etc.
    Turn one should be a hoot tomorrow morning!!
    SPOILER

Aside from Vettel's domination, GREAT RACE. Pirelli needs to get its act together before someone gets hurt.
    The soft compound tires are shite. Couldnt help but notice that the seats were almost completely empty for qualifying.
    man the audio has been sucky last two races,

Anyway, good race, Heidfeld drove well for that 3rd, a few other good battles, good stuff. Red Bull sucks :lol:
    Get_Right wrote:
    SPOILER

Aside from Vettel's domination, GREAT RACE. Pirelli needs to get its act together before someone gets hurt.
    The soft compound tires are shite. Couldnt help but notice that the seats were almost completely empty for qualifying.
    But that's exactly what everyone (FIA, FOTA) asked Pirelli to come up with. Sorry, just figured out you might be talking about the marbles that pelt the drivers during the race, in which case I agree with you :P
    MrAbraham wrote:

Anyway, good race, Heidfeld drove well for that 3rd, a few other good battles, good stuff. Red Bull sucks :lol:
    In what way? If you're watching Brundle and Coulthard, I know what way ;), but otherwise do you mean how far off the video it is?

And I wonder if Heidfeld used to be a jockey...
    Rygar wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    SPOILER

But that's exactly what everyone (FIA, FOTA) asked Pirelli to come up with. Sorry, just figured out you might be talking about the marbles that pelt the drivers during the race, in which case I agree with you :P
    MrAbraham wrote:

In what way? If you're watching Brundle and Coulthard, I know what way ;), but otherwise do you mean how far off the video it is?

And I wonder if Heidfeld used to be a jockey...

lmao! I mean the commentary audio seems too low, I have to turn my tv up to hear them clearly, but it could have something to do with my tv, I'll have to check out my settings again.

I'm not a fan of these Pirelli tires, I also thought it was a bit silly to ask for them to degrade quickly. Why not throw oil over the track before races, that will 'improve the show too' :lol:

In any sport, when you need to downgrade materials or whatever to make things more fun, well I find that to be a problem.
    Rygar wrote:
    Placing that much emphasis on tire management and increasing pit stops is supposed to make the races more interesting? I guess it evens the field a bit if you make strategy more important than performance. But isn't top performance what F1 is all about? Why would the FIA want anything other than a top performing tire for each circuit?
    Get_Right wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    Placing that much emphasis on tire management and increasing pit stops is supposed to make the races more interesting? I guess it evens the field a bit if you make strategy more important than performance. But isn't top performance what F1 is all about? Why would the FIA want anything other than a top performing tire for each circuit?
    Very true, but they asked Pirelli to make 'em that way and that's what they got.
    Best part is the results are near the same as last year even with the multiple pit stops.