Options

Where were YOU when you bought the AVOCADO?

Comments

• Options
    GetALifeGetALife Posts: 553
    ...I can only remember, that I bought it before breakfast (which means a lot in my case)...okay, it wasn't THAT early...I'm a college student ;) ... I believe it was 10 in the morning and I remember meeting a neighbour on my way to or back from the store (a large media store...nearest by to my home) and telling about this...I think she was laughing or smiling about my pre-breakfast-Pearl-Jam-mania :) It was a pretty sunny and warm day here in Oldenburg, North-western Germany...

Around these days of the release me and my girlfriend from that time had a very hard time, she wanted to end the relationsship (for understandable reasons) and I went crazy... "Come back" was killing and healing me both..."Life wasted", "Inside job" were perfectly fitting songs for this time of my life ... the kept me going on in a way...
    #Hamburg 2000 * Berlin 06 # Munich * Dusseldorf 2007 # Berlin * Manchester * London 2009 # Dublin * Belfast * Berlin 2010 # Amsterdam I & II * Berlin I & II * Stockholm * Oslo * Copenhagen 2012# Amsterdam I & II * Milan * Trieste * Vienna * Berlin 2014 ___ # EV 2012 - Amsterdam I & II # 2014: Amsterdam I & II - Milan - Trieste - Vienna - Berlin # 2018: Amsterdam I & II - Prague - Krakow - Berlin # 2021 (hopefully): Amsterdam I & II - Vienna - Krakow - Prague
  • Options
    EdVedHedEdVedHed Posts: 100
    Easy Street Records in West Seattle had a release party on the 1st and sold the CD at midnight. Pizza and $1 PBRs for all....good times
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.......Nietzsche
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    I pre-ordered it through the website- showed up 5-6 days early.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Tower Records right near Astor Place in the city (New York). To my surprise it came with a free ticket to the Irving Plaza show. ;)
    member number: 198,xxx
  • Options
    Brainofdz wrote:
    I waited in line for 30 hrs at the defunct Union Square(NYC) Tower Records to buy the album which came with a free Irving Plaza ticket for the first 400 people.

Me too! But I only waited 12 hours for mine, bought the cd a little after midnight, got the free Irving Plaza ticket. I remember Clive Davis showed up & gave out crispy creme donuts, un-fucking real!!! What an awesome experience I remember meeting a lot great fans that day, I will never forget their kindness & hospitalities. Just for the historical record, Tower wasn't on Union Square it was on West 4th Street and I think they ended up giving out WAY more then 400 tickets that day, that line went around the block.

Also I remember the day of the show some lady who must have been some kind of "mystic 10C ticket fairy" handed out a bunch of tickets to some fans who were out there looking for scalpers, unbelievable.
    Things were different then. All is different now.
    I tried to explain...

http://www.facebook.com/theendlessproof
  • Options
    Big EdBig Ed Posts: 331
    I was sitting in the same spot I am sitting in right now......my desk at work.
    I bought it through the 10 club.....than got another copy from Best Buy after it was in the stores.
    Ignoring Rusted Signs
  • Options
    RedMosquito02RedMosquito02 Posts: 2,560
    Pre-ordered from 10C, but never want to open the speacial edition from them, so I went ot my local record store, Bull Moose Music and bought another copy to wear out ; )

This record store, by the way, somehow gets EVERY piece of promo shit that the band puts out...and they're cool enough to hand it out!!!

For instance: I have a really cool Avacado display with a pad of paper on it that counts down the days until the release; I have one of the "Lost Dogs" plush dogs; and a screen print of the cover of "Immagine in Cornice"

All from this rockin store....cool beans I think : )
  • Options
    Wow can't believe I was in high school when it came out. Damn time flies by quick.

Anyways I got it 4 days early because I pre-ordered it. Got the NYE Boot with it too. Rocked out to it 4 times that night and spent a night on the boards. Now that seems like a distant memory as all it does is collect dust on my shelf.
  • Options
    kh65kh65 Posts: 946
    How the fuck should I know. It's a pretty good guess I was drunk at the time. I'm usually drunk.
    "If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room."

Gambling=a taxation on stupidity.

Remember, you can walk anywhere, as long as you have the time.

http://www.ryanmontbleauband.com/

http://www.myspace.com/jessedee
  • Options
    BinGnarlyBinGnarly Posts: 508
    Arrived home from a heavy night of drinking. Decided to check the mail and to my surprise found it in my mail box. My hang over was gone just like that. Threw it into my computer and blasted it loud. My mom wasn't to happy about that seeing as how I was a senior in high school and still lived with her. But she understood when I told her it was Pearl Jam. She understands my obsession.
    Shows:
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids 2006
    Detroit 2006
    Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    home, ordering it through ten club.
  • Options
    EBowieEBowie Posts: 529
    'Twas a rainy day in Boston. Bought the album at Newbury Comics after work and my first listen was through headphones. The best part about it was that I had only heard World Wide Suicide up to that point. Patience pays off (speaking only for myself of course).
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,860
    waited in line for 23 hours in NYC, got it at midnight along with the ticket to Irving Plaza, one of my favorite shows! Listened to it on the 2 1/2 hour drive home afterwards. Was a little disssappointed that my 10C version came like 2 days later and I didn't get it early, but oh well. Listened to it for 5 days straight until Irving, I don't do leaks, ruins the experience :)

And I've probably listened to Avo too many times since then, it's actually scratched... Life Wasted is one of my top 5 fav PJ songs.

Rock on, can't wait until June!
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    kh65kh65 Posts: 946
    EBowie wrote:
    'Twas a rainy day in Boston. Bought the album at Newbury Comics after work and my first listen was through headphones. The best part about it was that I had only heard World Wide Suicide up to that point. Patience pays off (speaking only for myself of course).

Hey that was me you saw at Newbury's. I was the one that was drunk.
    "If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room."

Gambling=a taxation on stupidity.

Remember, you can walk anywhere, as long as you have the time.

http://www.ryanmontbleauband.com/

http://www.myspace.com/jessedee
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    i was studying in my lounge...raced back and got the digital download then waited the week for my CD/Live at the Academy package
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    I was in the LAX airport and got it on ITunes
  • Options
    SoybeansSoybeans Posts: 245
    I got locked out of Tower. I got there too late. I waited for about 9 hours. I ended up getting it at Compact Disc World the next day. That kinda sucked, but PJ delivered on this one, of course.
    90 shows and counting...some of my favs: Randall's Island night 2, Milwaukee '95 night 2, Hawaii '06, St Johns '05, PJ20!
  • Options
    nowayimfaithfullnowayimfaithfull Posts: 2,051
    my hometown
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    Waited 30 hours at Tower Records... and Irving Plaza rocked my world a few days later.
    2004 - 10/1, 10/11
    2005 - 9/15, 9/16, 9/30, 10/1, 10/3
    2006 - 5/5, 5/12, 5/13, 5/27, 5/28, 5/30, 6/1, 6/3, 6/23, 7/22, 7/23, 12/2
    2007 - 6/27, 8/3
    2008 - 6/14, 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/24, 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, 6/30, 7/1
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    i got it at best buy. the guy behind me in line bought it as well. so we chatted about it and what shows we were going to.
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    Waiting in line in NYC @ Tower Records for the CD and a ticket to Irving Plaza :)
  • Options
    jam420247jam420247 Posts: 3
    i got the pre order download but waited till the plane ride to toronto to see the two opening shows of the new tour
    wow
    the best time ever
    cant wait for hartford and mansfield 08
  • Options
    nocodelover22nocodelover22 Posts: 108
    I picked it up at a CD store in my mall on my lunch break from school. I remember I had the afternoon off because I was in the drama club playing the princes father in Cinderella lol. So naturally I smoked a few hash bowls, said my few lines, sat in the back of the auditorium and rocked out to my walkman. Twas a good day.
  • Options
    tmud91087tmud91087 Posts: 97
    Bullmoose Records Portsmouth, NH...ill never forget it.
    5/24/06 - Boston
    5/25/06 - Boston
    6/28/08 - Mansfield
    6/30/08 - Mansfield
    8/2/08 - Eddie in Boston (FRONT ROW!)
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    It's officially May 2nd here...you know what that means...

Avocado was released 2 years ago today! Sure is hard to believe it's already 2 years old.

Where were you when you bought the album and what were you doing that day? Did you order it from 10club?

Me personally, I made the 10-15 minute drive down the expressway to a local Best Buy to buy it. I had already heard about half the record from when it leaked. Remember taking it home and throwing it on the stereo, checking out the liner notes.

I'll have to spin it a few times today.

came home for lunch from work and it was in my mailbox from 10C, though i got it a week early. put it on the "big stereo" in the living room and ate a tuna fish sandwhich with my wife and we listened to about half of the record. the other half in my car on the way back to work.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    pearljamjenpearljamjen Posts: 13,578
    I was living in Prague at the time and when I got done with class that afternoon I went on a hunt for the CD. I spent A LOT of time on the metro and trekking the streets of Prague for this cd and was VERY frustrated that I couldn't find it. :(

After several hours, I was tired, very sad, and I had to get home, I was just about to give up when I walked into another music store and I saw a poster for the new album. I was SOOO excited. But then I went to Pearl Jam section and it wasn't there! :eek: I asked the guy and he said he hadn't unpacked it, and since the store was closing soon they wouldn't put out the cds until tomorrow! NOOO! I begged him for a cd and told him how I had been EVERYWHERE...and I think just to get rid of me he went to the back and got me one. I actually said "THANKS! I LOVE YOU!" and he looked at me like I was mad...

I was a VERY happy girl and put it on as soon as I got back to the flat. So that's my story! :D
  • Options
    jmccue7jmccue7 Posts: 119
    best buy on may 2nd. left for amsterdam that night to embark on a 30 day solo trip to europe. got 10,000 days by tool that same day. awesome records
    Merriweather '00
    East Troy '03
    Boston I '04
    Pittsburgh '06
    Lollapalooza '07
    DC '08
    MSG I & II '08
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,941
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY LIL AVO!

ive been listening to the album a lot lately....good stuff....LOVE army reserve, what song.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    tmud91087 wrote:
    Bullmoose Records Portsmouth, NH...ill never forget it.
    it was two years ago...not like we're talking about where you were when kennedy was shot. :cool: :D

i pre-ordered it. two years already?? wow, where has the time gone...
  • Options
    Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,977
    yep, pre-ordered and downloaded at 56k
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06