Options

Where were YOU when you bought the AVOCADO?

Comments

• Options
    AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    wow, 2 yrs?
    I was most likely at home b/c i pre-ordered it and also got that snazzy NYE live cd, which is really cool.
    I don't remember what I was doing though
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Options
    EisiEisi Posts: 61
    Reykjavik, Iceland.

Bought it at Skífan Record Store witch sucks huge ass cause it's as corporate as hell. If you're ever in Iceland please shop somewhere else :)
    Gordon Brown is fuckin' clown
  • Options
    augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    Brainofdz wrote:
    I waited in line for 30 hrs at the defunct Union Square(NYC) Tower Records to buy the album which came with a free Irving Plaza ticket for the first 400 people.

30hours? omg!

i bet it was worth it! ;)

i thought it was very cool that the 10c offered up a special version of this cd(packaging) and ESPECIALLY the instant download option. kudos to them!!
  • Options
    75Tammy7575Tammy75 Posts: 18
    I had just fallen in love with my Other Half. My birthday is May 1 and he had gotten me a iPod. He needed one more accessory for it and went by Best Buy on May 2 to get it. Saw PJ and naturally picked it up.
  • Options
    G-forceG-force Posts: 218
    Great Question. I was just thinking of this.

I bought the Avocado CD at that MEGA Virgin store at Downtown Disney in Disney World. I vividly recall popping the disc into the rental car's CD player and cranking track after track on the way back to the hotel. The stereo sucked but the music was great.
  • Options
    HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    The glorious gleaming Hastings...Where true rock n soulers buy their music.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Bought it from Borders so I'd have it to listen to while roadtripping the first leg of the 2006 tour. I originally purchased it from 10C because the opportunity to purchase both the new album AND the 92 New Years Eve disc. Both Pearl Jam and NYE 92 are still in heavy rotation.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
    Sleeping out front of Tower with a few hundred of my favorite people ;)
  • Options
    Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    Hard at work when I pre-ordered
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    I was in Germany when i purchased it. I won a free trip from a manufacturer we purchase products from at work and I made our tour guide take me to the local electronic store and I bought Avocado there. Everyone in our group thought I was insane. Something I wont forget.
    9/16/96, 7/18/98, 11/02/00, 08/4/01, 12/08/02, 4/13/03, 10/22/03, 9/24/04, 3/18/05, 9/01/05, 9/02/05, 7/06/06, 7/07/06, 7/09/06, 7/10/06, 7/20/06
    7/22/06, 7/23/06, 04/07/07, 8/3/07
  • Options
    i got it during my semester abroad in Bologna, Italy. I listened to it non-stop that summer while traveling around Europe. great memories!
  • Options
    Elderly ManElderly Man Posts: 235
    #30 on line at tower records in nyc
    MSG 2 - 03
    Ed Sullivan Theater - 06
    Irving Plaza - 06
    Albany - 06
    Hartford - 06
    East Rutherford 1 & 2 - 06
    San Francisco 1 & 2 - 06
    Bonnaroo - 08
    MSG 1 & 2 - 08
    Hartford - 08
    Mansfield 1 - 08
  • Options
    BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    woa, I can't believe it's been 2 years!
    It didn't feel like it was time for a new one but after realizing how long it's actually been I guess we should be getting close.
  • Options
    bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    I was in school that day, couldn't concentrate on a fucking thing! Just thinking of the songs I heard on AOL sessions. I decided not to listen to the leaked songs. Headed over at lunch, and listened to that baby for hours and hours.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    WOW i COMPLETELY forgot it has been two years...WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well i remember it like it was yesterday. I drove right after school may 2nd with my freind to the local tower records, it was a bright sunny day. Right as I stepped out of my car This metal head comes up to me and asks if I'm buying the new tool album... i said "Nah pearl jam" he goes "oh thats cool, let me guess you alreadfy got 10,000 days? im like "yup, downloaded it, its pretty good." after that i just bought the album and left home with my friend and played it in my room

Im gonna have to blast avocado today in honor........after im done with LOTL :D
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    I don't remember... I think I both ordered it online AND got it from the recordstore near campus. I remember my students had a midterm that day. I had told them I would lecture during the second hour of class, but then I just said: "it's a beautiful day outside, and there is some great music coming out today, so go and enjoy" :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    I drove around to stores the day on May 1st and finally found a place that would sell it to me.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    errr.....at home, on my computer...did the 10c preorder thing. however, i also got another copy at tower records in the village, so as to to get the single, free ticket for the irving plaza gig. :cool:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    i was at Tower Records in Manhattan.

I waited on line for a day and a half.
    :)
    "Find myself singing the same songs every day....
    ones that make me feel good when things behind the smile ain't ok...." -Hoon
  • Options
    TEEJAM11TEEJAM11 Posts: 335
    work and pre-ordered it from 10c
  • Options
    Dylan StoneDylan Stone Posts: 1,145
    Ten Club!

I love Avocado! :)
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736

Where were you when you bought the album and what were you doing that day?
    this is a great thread idea u came up with there pal!
    me and a friend from here went to wait in line at tower records on sunset blvd. There were ALOT of TOOL fans there in line too. We got the avocado and they gave us these like backstage passes for souvenirs. After that we got in my car and cruised up sunset thru beverly hills listening to the cd LOUD. The minute it started i knew it was great. We made a deal we wouldnt look at song titles and just pick our favorite one randomly. As SOON as BIG WAVE started......THAT was my favorite!!! And then i discovered it was the WAVE song everyone was talking about. That was a good night. Thanks for that, you know who u are! :)
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Sat at my computer and ordered it from the 10C
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    I got it at either Target Best Buy or Walmart. Not sure, but I think it was almost a year after it came out.
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."
  • Options
    Best Buy!!!
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    I resisted the temptation to download the leaks. Ordered it through 10C and listened to it for the first time when it arrived in my mailbox a few days before the official release date.

I remember being blown away by "Gone" and a tad disappointed in the song I had heard so many great things about -- "Inside Job."

Two years later, the Avocado is my favorite PJ album and "Inside Job" is probably my favorite track on the disc. Oh, and "Gone" still rocks, too. :D
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,500
    I got it from 10c but what I really remember was watching the Letterman webcast (at work :eek: ) and just getting sooooooooooooo fired up for the tour :D!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    I also ordered it from the Ten Club. I think it came a day early or something no? Either a day early or a day late. I didn't download the tracks. I think that was about the last time I looked at the cover art too :) Ugly, ugly booklet.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    I just remember I was in grad school and I had class all day. Then, that night, I had to go out and do something class related. I wasn't even going to pick it up, because my car lacks a CD player. But I bought it anyway, had it beside me for the entire evening, but couldn't play it until I sat down in my apartment. Then, my stereo was broken, so I had to listen on my laptop using headphones to get any decent sound. It definitely wasn't the fun of buying Riot Act or Binaural, but it sufficed.
  • Options
    3inputchick3inputchick Posts: 845
    Thank god I'm decent looking and the guy I was dating at the time showed up with it......
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.