Options

How can I get my new girlfriend syched for the Florida shows

stevieraveonstevieraveon Posts: 413
edited April 2008 in The Porch
So I'm 32 and my new girlfriend is 24 (giggity) and she didn't grow up on PJ like I did but rather casually knows some hits. I've got to say I love her taste in music as she's introduced me to Kings of Leon, My Morning Jacket, Band of Horses, Rogue Wave, Shins, etc.....stuff I never listened to before. Since she loves KOL I thought the Florida shows would be great because they're opening.

She definitely is a music appreciater and I want to give her a good taste of PJ before I travel w/ her down to Florida for WPB and Tampa shows. Anyways, trying to figure out a mix-tape type of approach. What do you think are some essential songs for the non-casual fan.

Right now I'm thinking just showing her Single Video Theory might be a good start and listening to No Code.
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,753

Right now I'm thinking just showing her Single Video Theory might be a good start and listening to No Code.

I couldn't disagree more. SVT has too much talking from the band and No Code is No Good for a brand new fan. go Touring Band 2000.....and the greatest hits album
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,841
    You can start by spelling psyched right :)
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    um, why do you have to *make* her CDs. Pearl Jam already made them the way they are supposed to be heard. Just listen to ten, vs, vitalogy, no code, yield, binaural, riot act, and avacado, throw in some b-sides and boots along the way.

also 1) I know a LOT of 24 year olds who grew up on pj 2) I don't understand why everyone tries to "convert" their partners and take them to shows. just take someone who's already a fan. you're not going to get her to love pj as much as you do after 16 years.
  • Options
    You can start by spelling psyched right :)

That's hilarious...I'm the biggest spelling snob, and I'm sitting in Dallas airport bar delayed and drunk and as soon as I hit enter I thought "that can't be the right way to spell it"...but can't change the title.
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • Options
    I couldn't disagree more. SVT has too much talking from the band and No Code is No Good for a brand new fan. go Touring Band 2000.....and the greatest hits album

Good feedback..never thought of Touring Band 2000. I really want to have her listen to Present Tense but don't know if I should have her listen to original version or the speedy live version they do now. Then again, Beats/Minute of album version of any song * 1.5 = Live version of any song
  • Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    So I'm 32 and my new girlfriend is 24 (giggity) and she didn't grow up on PJ like I did but rather casually knows some hits. I've got to say I love her taste in music as she's introduced me to Kings of Leon, My Morning Jacket, Band of Horses, Rogue Wave, Shins, etc.....stuff I never listened to before. Since she loves KOL I thought the Florida shows would be great because they're opening.

She definitely is a music appreciater and I want to give her a good taste of PJ before I travel w/ her down to Florida for WPB and Tampa shows. Anyways, trying to figure out a mix-tape type of approach. What do you think are some essential songs for the non-casual fan.

I'm a big Pearl Jam fan, but it took me a live show to take it to the next step. I was a casual fan, then went to Columbus 2000 and it changed me forever. I got wrapped up in the boots, the different setlists, the covers...everything. That is why I never really listen to any Pearl Jam studio album. I don't even own all the studio albums (Riot Act I never picked up), yet I have well over 800 PJ songs on my computer. For some reason the Live shows and the boots just clicked for me
  • Options
    JForte20JForte20 Posts: 52
    Ive been with my girlfriend for over a year now, introduced her to pearl jam...and we're going to MSG 1-2, Hartford, and Mansfield 1-2, i bought her an ipod last year for her birthday and started her off with a bunch of PJ, worked great
  • Options

My boyfriend sucessfully got me to love Pearl Jam a few years back. I would highly reccomend getting her the RVM greatest hits CD's. Those CD's have all the hits but also some lesser known songs. The reason I recommend this is all the songs us hardcore Pearl Jam fans love are alittle harder to get into then their more commercial songs. I remember I asked my boyfriend to make me a CD of his favorites, when I first started to get into Pearl Jam, and I hated it-now most of those songs are on my favorites list. I started with the RVM CD's then I move on to CD like no code and lost dogs. JUst give her an introduction and dont worry, the second she see them live she will be hook. Well, at least that is what did it for me.
    2005: Montreal, Ottawa, Pittsburgh
    2006: Camden I & II, Continental II (NJ)
    2008: Camden I & II, DC, MSG I & II (NYC), & EV: NYC II
    2009: Spectrum last 2 nights
    2012: EV: Orlando I & II, Ft. Lauderdale I
    2013: Brooklyn I & II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale & Miami
  • Options
    Uncle NeilUncle Neil Posts: 176
    I spent forever with my last girlfriend getting her to dig PJ, and when I was finally getting through to her we broke up!! Now I have a new gf and all she likes is country and hip hop...so I definitely have my work cut out for me. It's good to hear feedback from other girls that have been down this road. I'm so obsessed I like everything from PJ, so I need to step back and think about what made me like them in the first place...
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    two words venus butterfly

j/k
    :)
  • Options
    I got my GF into them by playing RVM on every road trip we took. She was a very casual fan who only new the radio hits so RVM let her experiance they're best album tracks. She was always down to go to a show so I took her to the Forum 1 show of 06. It was beyond perfect for a first show bc the band played all the hits and some rare stuff that was really cool (Here's to the State w/ Tim Robbins, Crown of Thorns, Last Kiss j/k).

After that she begged me to take her to the Santa Barbara show.

Now she is going with me to see them in MSG2 as well as tonight's Eddie show in SB.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Options
    homeratbathomeratbat Posts: 219
    the live show should work...but is it really important if she likes it? my gf doesnt really like pj but it doesnt bother me in the least! her loss :)
  • Options
    goldenegggoldenegg Posts: 367
    homeratbat wrote:
    the live show should work...but is it really important if she likes it? my gf doesnt really like pj but it doesnt bother me in the least! her loss :)

I was just about to ask the same thing. Sure, we'd all love our significant others to love everything we do, but it's not going to happen. My ex loved PJ. Given that she's now my ex, you know how well that worked out LOL
  • Options
    kh65kh65 Posts: 946
    Fuck her to every song in the PJ catalog :)
    "If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room."

Gambling=a taxation on stupidity.

Remember, you can walk anywhere, as long as you have the time.

http://www.ryanmontbleauband.com/

http://www.myspace.com/jessedee
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509
    yield

and show her the Pics where eddie looks HOT thread.

:p
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    I am going to Tampa with my girlfriend, also her first show. I am a PJ freak and she accepts me for that thank God. She, like most, knows all the hits but refuses to watch DVD's (of any band for that matter). Here is the list I gave her for her Ipod. I called it less common PJ songs. Hope this helps.

Breakerfall
    Light Years
    Of the Girl
    Soon Forget
    Slight of Hand
    Crown of Thorns (live at the Gorge)
    Fatal
    Hard to Imagine
    Dead Man
    All Night
    Sad
    Sometimes
    In my tree
    off he goes
    lukin
    Present Tense
    Parachutes
    Gone
    Come Back
    can't keep
    love boat captain
    you are
    arc
    faithful
    no way
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,841
    That's hilarious...I'm the biggest spelling snob, and I'm sitting in Dallas airport bar delayed and drunk and as soon as I hit enter I thought "that can't be the right way to spell it"...but can't change the title.

I'm an editor for a living, so I guess I constantly correct spelling. I'm glad you also took it this way, because I could see how people would be annoyed by people like myself.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    kh65 wrote:

That would work assuming this guy is a good fuck, lol. If not he could ruin PJ for her. ;)
  • Options
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    She's got good taste. If she likes all those bands you list, then I'd say you have nothing to worry about. It takes just one time to see this band do their magic on stage for someone to sink into that deep hole we call Pearl Jam fandom. She will be a convert in no time. Did she see Immagine in Cornice? Just show her that but remember, you're taking the risk that she might fall in love with the most charismatic frontman of all times :-P

Thats true, my boyfriend turned me on to PJ and now he has to deal with my fascination with Eddie... But the truth of the mater is, I think my boyfriend is equally as fascinated with Eddie as I am. I also think that Eddie would be on the top of his list of guys he would mind fucking...lol. =)
  • Options
    14RAY5514RAY55 Mami Posts: 109
    Let the live PJ magic bring another convert into the fold.
    Still Alive And Well In Miami
    4-23-92 Miami,8-22-92 Miami,3-28-94 Miami,10-07-96 Ft.Laud.,9-22-98 WPB,9-23-98 WPB,8-9-00 WPB,8-10-00 WPB,4-11-03 WPB,7-16-06 S.F.,7-18-06 S.F.,7-22-06 Gorge,6-11-08 WPB,6-12-08 Tampa,10-23-10 Moun.View,10-24-10 Moun.View
  • Options
    That would work assuming this guy is a good fuck, lol. If not he could ruin PJ for her. ;)

Assume away ;)
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    1 word... yield
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 786
    Isn't this show Downtown?
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    songs that NEEED to be included on a mix, because they truly show the remarkable talent of the band .. and diversity

In Hiding
    Sleight Of Hand
    Present Tense
    Release
    In My Tree
    Tremor Christ
    Inside Job
    Nothing As It Seems
    Rearviewmirror
    Corduroy
    Red Mosquito
    Low Light
    You Are
    Garden
    W.M.A.
    Dissident
    Not For You
    Off He Goes
    Wash
    Hard To Imagine
    I Got Shit
    Long Road
    Of The Girl
    Can't Keep

ETC ... that's what i got off the top of my head
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    SBC03SBC03 Posts: 502
    kh65 wrote:

I took TB2k on my honeymoon :) :-->
    See this needle...a see my hand...
    Drop drop dropping it down...oh so gently...
    Well here it comes...I touch the plane...
    Turn me up...won't turn you away...
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    I highly suggest going in order of their discography. Just start with Ten, and move on. I think it really gives a more clear idea of how the band has changed over the years, and helps you appreciate SVT much more when you watch it after you've already listened to the previous 4 albums.
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,239
    SBC03 wrote:
    I took TB2k on my honeymoon :) :-->

I'm sure the Bride loved that!!! lol

RM
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,239

SOLAT just took the words out of my mouth. If she loves the Kings of Leon, then she'll definitely be blown away by PJ's performance. Here is my suggestion, don't make her any cd's at all....just let her go and experience it for herself. I've found that when you try to make a cd for someone that it never achieves the affect that you would of hoped. Sounds like she has alright taste so let her discover it for herself instead of you force feeding it to her.

My wife knows that I'm a major PJ freak and has attended 7 shows with me. Some of them she has loved (Vegas '03, SF 3rd show '06), others she just said she had fun and I'm alright with that. The cool thing is that regardless if my wife loves PJ or not, she supports my love for the band and never gives me any hassles when it comes to going to see them play. I think that is the more important thing to have in a significant other, a supportive partner who doesn't try to hold you back from the things you love and vice versa. I'll take that over having her be a fellow PJ freak any day.

Peace,

RM
  • Options
    cgroxcgrox Posts: 58
    Its very simple...

You either get it our you dont.

in the world there are blind sheep... and then there are PJ fanatics.

PJ = air. Period.

It shouldnt be difficult to give gold to someone fer free...

"take a bottle drink it down, pass it round" and listen to PJ

worst case scenario... find another girlfriend... hehe, just kidding bro.

some people have the bible... i have ed's words.
    Member # 173***

21 Shows and counting... Finally met Ed @ Zellerbach night 1!!!

• Options
    58823005882300 Posts: 813
    Just throw PJ on and give her some good lovin'. Repeat