Options

Are CD boots pressed or burned?

Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
edited June 2008 in The Porch
Can we please get confirmation on this one, because several people have asked and I havn't seen an answer yet.

Thank you.
What the fuck is this world?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,359
    Since it says that they are "manufactured to order", I have a hard time believing that they would be anything but pressed.
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    TrAvELAr wrote:
    Since it says that they are "manufactured to order", I have a hard time believing that they would be anything but pressed.
    me too, no way we would be paying for a burnt cd.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,772
    my guess is that they have some nice screen-printed CD-Rs placed in decent packaging. has the quality look of the 2003 bootlegs, but burned via CD-R or similar.
  • Options
    anakin_pdxanakin_pdx Posts: 389
    I just got this reply to my question I sent this morning...

>The Cds are CD-Rs, but lifetime guaranteed and will be made using recycled material.
    >
    >Best,
    >~10c

So CD-Rs, but assuming the 10C is around for life if anything happens they will replace the actual disc even 20 years from now which is cool. I ordered the first two already.
  • Options
    Frank GibsonFrank Gibson Italy Posts: 107
    I can't believe it
    OCEANS ::: A Tribute To PEARL JAM

www.myspace.com/oceansweb
  • Options
    OmahaJammerOmahaJammer Posts: 261
    I can't believe it

What's the big deal? When a band has a cd mastered...the audio engineer puts the final product (the MASTER copy) on a high quality Cd-R. So, if the quality of the audio is not compromised, and the cd-r has a lifetime guarantee from the 10-club....who cares? 9 out of 10 people are just going to immediately rip it to their computer/iPod anyway, right?
    Maybe all I need is a shot in the arm....
  • Options
    What's the big deal? When a band has a cd mastered...the audio engineer puts the final product (the MASTER copy) on a high quality Cd-R. So, if the quality of the audio is not compromised, and the cd-r has a lifetime guarantee from the 10-club....who cares? 9 out of 10 people are just going to immediately rip it to their computer/iPod anyway, right?

Yeah, I see it the same way and many don't realize that. I think it's kind of cool and personal this way anyways. More heart goes into making them and they don't end up overkill past demand. Saves them money and ensures us more future bootlegs at future tours.
  • Options
    i don't care to have the mp3
    i would like to have a boot with a beautiful art work and cd too
    i don't like that
    it's only my opinion cause for that reason i think price could be less than that

• Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    i don't care to have the mp3
    i would like to have a boot with a beautiful art work and cd too
    i don't like that
    it's only my opinion cause for that reason i think price could be less than that
    wait that you see the product before complaining.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options

Good point...I'm a little surprised. Top of the line studio-used cd-rs (Taiyo Yuden for example) are about $.39 each. There's no doubt they'll make a killing on these.
  • Options
    Julien wrote:
    wait that you see the product before complaining.

Also a good point.
  • Options
    I have bought all available shows to date for this your in mp3. If I really enjoy certain shows then I am going to by them on CD-R from TenC just to have that personal touch. I wanna see what the CD artwork and stuff looks like first though.
  • Options
    moses562moses562 Posts: 1,382
    tschav wrote:
    my guess is that they have some nice screen-printed CD-Rs placed in decent packaging. has the quality look of the 2003 bootlegs, but burned via CD-R or similar.

I agree.
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Good point...I'm a little surprised. Top of the line studio-used cd-rs (Taiyo Yuden for example) are about $.39 each. There's no doubt they'll make a killing on these.

not really. they only way for them to make a killing on these would be if they sold MILLIONS of each show. doing it this way cuts costs for them, when it will no doubt be such a small run for each show. making "high quality" cd's for what 11 shows would cost them waaaay to much and in the end they would not recoup the expense. its not like each show is a "major" release or anything here.

c'mon people, what if they just say "fuck it, no more boots" they have to cut costs where they can.

ease up.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    People bitched when there were no more CD's and only digital bootlegs were made available, now they have both options and people are still complaining!! :rolleyes:

I guess Tim was right yesterday, making everyone happy will never ever happen.
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    tschav wrote:
    Sounds good to me. :)
    What the fuck is this world?
  • Options
    i dont complain
    i would like only to have good artwork and packaging
    do you know the old boots by tory amos?
    that was a particula artwork
    i only hope to have something like that

i don't like only that stupid things about mobile phone ecc. ecc. but i understand that we are going into the future

• Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    So the MP3 version and the CD versions are of the same quality?
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    can someone explain to me why it takes so much to make a bootleg?

surely you just tape it? divide it up ? maybe alter levels? then just burn to a cd :S
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,359
    thunderDAN wrote:

Not really... since MP3 is compressed audio, it will never rival the quality of a CD.
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    thunderDAN wrote:
    No. The CD's are equal to the FLAC version.
  • Options
    My only problem with CD-Rs instead of factory-pressed CDs is that I think the original announcement regarding CDs was misleading. Since when are burned CD-Rs considered to be "manufactured" CDs?
    "I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,089
    My only problem with CD-Rs instead of factory-pressed CDs is that I think the original announcement regarding CDs was misleading. Since when are burned CD-Rs considered to be "manufactured" CDs?
    The original announcement definitely said "burn-to-order". Then later, in the announcement it had made to order and manufactured as well.
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    I'm going to look at it this way...

The MP3 d/l is $10, the Flac is $15, the CDs are $17 with free shipping.

So figure shipping is like... $2 first class w/mailer.

So if you go with that logic, you're essentially getting the CDs/packaging for free since sound quality is basically a FLAC. I can't argue with that pricing at all - you're basically paying $2 more for the CDs, packaging, shipping, mailer and the time it takes to do all of that... no way is that making a killing (although obviously being able to sell the bootlegs in general is since there's not much cost involved in that, but for the argument of the CDs they aren't).

Now I would REALLY love to hear what (if any) artword will be on the CDs/packaging. Because if its nothing much I'd probably just d/l the songs since as someone else already said its going on an ipod anyway.

Santos... care to provide a preview? ;)
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    This board never ceases to amaze me
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    uglybabouglybabo Posts: 518
    When I put the CD version in my cart it says the delivery charge is $4.50.

Is it only free shiping in the US?
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    mwilmot4 wrote:
    When I put the CD version in my cart it says the delivery charge is $4.50.

Is it only free shiping in the US?
    Yes- $4.50 internationally
  • Options
    uglybabouglybabo Posts: 518
    drsluggo wrote:
    Yes- $4.50 internationally

Thanks.

Since I'm only getting a couple of shows, I think I'll still go for the CD.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I don't give a shit if it's a CD-R. I'm buying the 'Roo boot anyway!

Thnx 10C!!!
  • Options
    anteroantero Earth Posts: 21
    I really think santos or somebody else from the management SHOULD clarify us what exactly we eill get from our CD purchase.

Are we will going to receive a CD-R with no artwork package? no labeled? if the answwer is yes i want my money back since i bought ALL the Cds available and plans to get the rest aswell.... this silence from the responsible people looks too long..... please somebody post a preview of the CD package
    www.anteroboots.com