Options

Are CD boots pressed or burned?

2»

Comments

• Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    antero wrote:
    I really think santos or somebody else from the management SHOULD clarify us what exactly we eill get from our CD purchase.

Are we will going to receive a CD-R with no artwork package? no labeled? if the answwer is yes i want my money back since i bought ALL the Cds available and plans to get the rest aswell.... this silence from the responsible people looks too long..... please somebody post a preview of the CD package
    They are working on it. That's why there is a 3 week delay after the purchase.

I hope they have a different design for each venue. :D
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    BrezBrez Posts: 570
    What's the difference between a CD and a CD-R?
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,089
    antero wrote:
    I really think santos or somebody else from the management SHOULD clarify us what exactly we eill get from our CD purchase.

Are we will going to receive a CD-R with no artwork package? no labeled? if the answwer is yes i want my money back since i bought ALL the Cds available and plans to get the rest aswell.... this silence from the responsible people looks too long..... please somebody post a preview of the CD package
    Since they haven't shipped them yet, why don't you ask them to cancel your order(s) and wait until someone reports receiving it to decide if it's good value or not? They're going to be available for a while I'd think, so there's no loss if you order next month rather than right now.
  • Options
    corduroy10corduroy10 Posts: 199
    Brez wrote:
    What's the difference between a CD and a CD-R?

Technically, a CD is mass produced in a factory, using machines that give us a final finished product.

A CD-R is a recordable CD, that you can burn data onto using an ordinary computer ROM drive. The advantage to the 10C is that they can offer a hard copy product that people have been asking for, without having to comission minimum orders to a factory only to have piles of unsold bootlegs sitting in a warehouse somewhere. This way they can literally "Make-to-order" in house, while driving costs down significantly.

Where this becomes an issue of controversy is that CD-R's can sometimes be spotty on quality and definately degrade faster than a "pressed" CD.

However, word has it on the board that 10C is using very high quality CD-R's and are guaranteeing them, so this may not be an issue.
    Barrie '98
    Saratoga Springs, Toronto '00
    Toronto, Montreal '03
    Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto '05
    Toronto I & II, Albany, Hartford, Gorge I '06
    Camden I & II, Washington DC '08
    Toronto, Chicago I '09
    Columbus, Indianapolis, Buffalo '10
    Alpine Valley I & II, Toronto I & II, Hamilton '11
    London, Buffalo '13
    Detroit '14
    Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I & II '16
  • Options
    dr teethdr teeth Posts: 115
    I don't give a shit if it's a CD-R. I'm buying the 'Roo boot anyway!

Thnx 10C!!!

Right On!
    jeter drinks wine coolers
  • Options
    Good CDR's last a long time, shitty ones don't. Lots of people bought shitty cheap CDR's back in the 90's and assumed that they would be just as good as any other. Now they're paying the price. I haven't had a CDR detriorate since I started using TDK's back in the 90's. A lot of people are still clueless about it. I can't even tell you how many CDR "demos" bands have given me when we go on tour, and by the time we get home and listen to them, half of them are already unplayable, either because they used cheap-o CDR's or put one of those fucking paper labels on the disc.
  • Options
    anakin_pdxanakin_pdx Posts: 389
    I'm still happy with guaranteed CD-Rs. I've purchased all three so far, and plan to buy the rest. $2 more for not having to burn and label the discs myself is fine. Actually less than $2 because I won't have to buy blank cds and labels or cases.

Although all this got me thinking. I don't know what Santos looks like, but I'm picturing this guy sitting at his computer in the same clothes for the 5th straight day in a row pulling out a burned cd and inserting a blank back into the drive and clicking "burn" again. And then checking and getting pissed every time someone orders another boot because it's another 2 minutes gone from his life...

Obviously that's not what's happening, but it's funny to think about it!
  • Options
    Frank GibsonFrank Gibson Italy Posts: 107
    I woun't buy any cd for now
    i want to see the artwork and how they will do the all work
    OCEANS ::: A Tribute To PEARL JAM

www.myspace.com/oceansweb
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    the artwork will certainly be like the 2000 and 2003 boots.
    looking at the good section page on pearljam.com and looking at verizon website, it seems clear to me that we'll have someting like the previous boots.
    And the news says: CDs will be made-to-order using recycled material.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    absolutely right...they'll come in a cardboard sleev of some sort.....

The cd's will be great, I've ordered the lot so far.,....and cant wait to get them...

Flacs for two bucks less makes this a very easy choice!!! its a bargain
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Flacs for two bucks less makes this a very easy choice!!! its a bargain
    true !
    and seeing the change rate EURO/USD, $17 isn't that much
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    BrezBrez Posts: 570
    corduroy10 wrote:
    Technically, a CD is mass produced in a factory, using machines that give us a final finished product.

A CD-R is a recordable CD, that you can burn data onto using an ordinary computer ROM drive. The advantage to the 10C is that they can offer a hard copy product that people have been asking for, without having to comission minimum orders to a factory only to have piles of unsold bootlegs sitting in a warehouse somewhere. This way they can literally "Make-to-order" in house, while driving costs down significantly.

Where this becomes an issue of controversy is that CD-R's can sometimes be spotty on quality and definately degrade faster than a "pressed" CD.

However, word has it on the board that 10C is using very high quality CD-R's and are guaranteeing them, so this may not be an issue.

Thanks man.
    And before his first step... He's off again...