Options

Questions about Mansfield, 7-11-03

2»

Comments

• Options
    pjmaniacpjmaniac Posts: 45
    You know, I looked back at that post and realized I may have jumped the gun a bit. The 06 shows at the Garden were great. I guess it was the VFC shows that were a bit underwhelming.

Who am I kidding? All PJ shows are great, and to think that we argue about what venue to see them in. We are spoiled.

To be honest, I enjoy the tailgating with friends at Tweeter much more than I do hanging out in bars in Boston. It's much cheaper, and everyone can be together. Honestly, I have a group of about 30 going down this summer, full on with grills, coolers, and everything else you can imagine. I guess that's what it comes down to for me.......the overall pre-show get together.

I didn't even see your location. I recently just bought a house in So Portland, but have lived on Cumberland Ave, near the base of Munjoy Hill, as well as living in North Deering for awhile. Whereabouts are you?

Chief?? Looking forward to another great time this year at the Tweet. Getting all 30 of us together for a show is always fucking fabulous!
    8.29.00, 7.3.03, 7.11.03, 9.28.04, 9.29.04, 9.28.05, 5.13.06, 5.24.06, 5.25.06, 6.27.08, 6.28, 6.30.08
  • Options
    kh65kh65 Posts: 946
    fuck that!! i like having the train as my designated driver to the Garden! the drive to Mansfield sucks no matter what time you drive (and I'm less than an hour away)

Totally agree. The Garden is much better and central to all the Boston fans.
    "If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room."

Gambling=a taxation on stupidity.

Remember, you can walk anywhere, as long as you have the time.

http://www.ryanmontbleauband.com/

http://www.myspace.com/jessedee
  • Options
    HoochHooch Posts: 37
    locked wrote:
    this is what was posted before night #3 on the PJ site Synergy:

Again, can you believe tickets were still available?
    what kind of an idiot couldn't figure this was a "have to witness this" event????

7/11/2003 - Pearl Jam To Open 3rd Boston Show With Extra One-Hour Set

Pearl Jam
    With Special Guest Sleater-Kinney
    At the Tweeter Center
    Friday, July 11, 2003

Boston – In order to accomplish their goal of performing their entire current repertoire over the course of the three Boston shows while not repeating a single song, Pearl Jam will play an extra one hour set at 6:30 p.m. before Sleater-Kinney takes the stage.

The revised show schedule looks like this:
    - 5:30 p.m. Doors open
    - 6:30 p.m. Pearl Jam plays extra one hour set
    - 7:30 p.m. Sleater-Kinney
    - 8:45 p.m. Pearl Jam

Tickets for Pearl Jam are still available through the Tweeter Center Box Office and at Ticketmaster outlets, including Filene's, by calling (617/508) 931-2000, or (617) 228-6000, or by logging on to http://www.cc.com. Tickets are $38.00 reserved and $34.00 lawn plus a $6.50 facility fee and applicable Ticketmaster service charges. Parking available at no additional charge. DOORS: 5:30 p.m.

Went down without tickets, not knowing there were tons still available. We passed up a few scalpers on our way to the box office. Got in the longest line in history before realizing the ticket window had no line. Got 2 great seats and witnessed one of the best concerts ever... Long Road was amazing; All Or None just blew my mind though. Oh yeah, and then about 3 hours later they closed with Arc...

The only down side was that the dumbass I am only wore a t-shirt and it was cold and drizzling. Didn't matter though, a bunch of beers and an epic performance kept me warm... (would have been perfect if they didn't bring sleater kantsing out for the last encore)
    Been to lots of shows. I love shows...
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,304
    those amphitheaters weren't designed for rock shows IMO. there's too much empty space, I feel too far away from the band and the other fans. Arenas are just more intimate.

uhhh... amphitheaters are specifically designed for rock shows. now, all not designed well, and the sound can blow (i've got the World near me in chicago, which majorly sucks...luckily PJ has never played there...), but they are for shows and shows only. arenas are designed for basketball and hockey. the sound is usually shite in them. in terms of this specific discussion, i can not comment as i have not been to either venue out east. i can understand wanting to see a show at MSG, but the Garden isnt even the Garden anymore...has the new venue retained a nice atmosphere? cause the united center in chicago is cold and sterile, for a concert or ballgame.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    prince119prince119 Posts: 104
    They played the Gorge in '05 by "opening for themselves" I know it is different because there was no scheduled opening act on the tickets (like Sleater was in Mansfiled) but to have the band come out in the daylight and play seated/acoustic for an hour was incredible.

Then they came out and rocked for a full set and encores.

It was a very special experience.

Mansfield is one of my fav boots by the way.......that and Katovice.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Hooch wrote:
    Went down without tickets, not knowing there were tons still available. We passed up a few scalpers on our way to the box office. Got in the longest line in history before realizing the ticket window had no line. Got 2 great seats and witnessed one of the best concerts ever... Long Road was amazing; All Or None just blew my mind though. Oh yeah, and then about 3 hours later they closed with Arc...

(They didn't close with Arc)
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    NewJPage wrote:
    uhhh... amphitheaters are specifically designed for rock shows. now, all not designed well, and the sound can blow (i've got the World near me in chicago, which majorly sucks...luckily PJ has never played there...), but they are for shows and shows only. arenas are designed for basketball and hockey. the sound is usually shite in them. in terms of this specific discussion, i can not comment as i have not been to either venue out east. i can understand wanting to see a show at MSG, but the Garden isnt even the Garden anymore...has the new venue retained a nice atmosphere? cause the united center in chicago is cold and sterile, for a concert or ballgame.

they are designed for music, yes, but not ROCK music. they are more for like andrea boccelli.

as I said, the sound is not technically as good in arenas as they are not designed for music, but I like how LOUD it gets and how CONTAINED the sound is. I like how it sort of distorts against the metal ceilings and stuff.
  • Options
    they are designed for music, yes, but not ROCK music. they are more for like andrea boccelli.

as I said, the sound is not technically as good in arenas as they are not designed for music, but I like how LOUD it gets and how CONTAINED the sound is. I like how it sort of distorts against the metal ceilings and stuff.

Places like the Tweeter Centers are most certainly designed for rock music.
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    Places like the Tweeter Centers are most certainly designed for rock music.

really? they seem like, dorky to me. and they're so big and spread out.
  • Options
    really? they seem like, dorky to me. and they're so big and spread out.

Some venues like SPAC were setup for shows like you have in mind, but the 1-size-fits-all ampitheaters like Mansfield/Hartford/Camden/Chicago are primarily for rock concerts and music in general.
  • Options
    HoochHooch Posts: 37
    BinFrog wrote:
    (They didn't close with Arc)

My memory says... yes they did close with Arc, but then again my memory is a bit burnt. I'm pretty sure they did though.

Nope, you're right, I'm wrong, they opened the 2nd encore with it. Whatever, it was very cool. I'd never heard it before then and I was just blown away...
    Been to lots of shows. I love shows...
  • Options
    Hooch wrote:
    My memory says... yes they did close with Arc, but then again my memory is a bit burnt. I'm pretty sure they did though.

Nope, you're right, I'm wrong, they opened the 2nd encore with it. Whatever, it was very cool. I'd never heard it before then and I was just blown away...

It was a very cool moment, I agree.
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Posts: 250
    Actually the story of The Experiment goes back to a lucky group of fans who met Ed before a show earlier in the tour while Ed was riding his bike in the parking lot. Ed mentioned they were going to try to play ever song in the catalogue during the boston shows. (Ed also was seen riding his bike thru the tailgaters in Mansfield before night one).

There were rumors on this board and speculation to what was in store for the Mansfield run, and then mid set on night one Ed made the announcement...the place went beserk.

Nobody was sure how they were going to pull it off with the curfew at Tweeter Center and after the first two nights PJ was on the road toward NYC. It was before MSG2 that the official announcement was made that PJ would "open for themselves."

I was in NYC for the MSG shows and got a call from a friend in boston who heard about it on the radio...even casual fans and non fans knew it was going to be historic, there was a buzz on radio and among the people.

The place was packed although not sold out by the time they came out at 845, but it was half full at best for the pre set. watching people sprint, not run, sprint to their seats as the band was playing their acoustic set was fun to watch. traffic was horrible and there were plenty of people who missed long road. by the time Indifference was played the place had filled up a bit.

One of the wildest concerts I've ever been to. The emotion in the crowd was incredible, blissfully drunk, happilly stoned, everyone geeking out to the music.

People refused to leave the venue after the encore of covers and Tweeter at that point was furious w/ PJ so the guys had to come out and let everyone know the show was over by playing YL---the only song they repeated in the three amazing nights.

An incredible run of shows. All brilliant performances. If you look at that two week stretch of shows in 2003, it may be one of the best stretch of shows in the bands history.

Longtime Globe music writer Steve Morse included that show in his top 10 boston performances.

Can't wait for June!
    "I remember when you sang that song about today, now it's tomorrow and everything has changed." - Bu$hleaguer