Options

Questions about Mansfield, 7-11-03

PJbauer88PJbauer88 Posts: 87
edited April 2008 in The Porch
this is maybe my favorite bootleg. breath is amazing and the GTF is my favorite besides the studio version. the main reason i love this show so much, though, is "the experiment". it's honestly unreal. that's the best long road, in my opinion, and footsteps seriously kicks my ass every time.

did you guys who were there know that was going to happen? i mean ed's one song presets are exciting, but did you not just shit when the whole band came out? have they done that any other time? don't you guys think they should do that on this tour?!!!
drowning, drinking the light
god's eyes are closed, just like yours
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PJbauer88 wrote:
    this is maybe my favorite bootleg. breath is amazing and the GTF is my favorite besides the studio version. the main reason i love this show so much, though, is "the experiment". it's honestly unreal. that's the best long road, in my opinion, and footsteps seriously kicks my ass every time.

did you guys who were there know that was going to happen? i mean ed's one song presets are exciting, but did you not just shit when the whole band came out? have they done that any other time? don't you guys think they should do that on this tour?!!!
    ed metioned the expirement the first night, 7-2. they had a curfew all 3 nights and then said fuck it the last night.
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    PJbauer88 wrote:

I would say the place was at best half full when the preset started.
    It was still very light out when they first got on stage.
    I think it was only about 6pm when it started.

It was announced they would be playing early.
    It was on the website and on the radio.
    Still no way close to being full.

Amazing show. Glad I was there.
    Hope they do something like it again someday.
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    Hands down my favorite show that I've been to prolly tied with Irving Plaza... I'd say Buffalo 03 and Albany 06 follow close behind.

I can't remember how/when it was announced... but I remember getting there just before they took the stage for the experiment... and most of those songs I hadn't ever heard til then and a good amount of them I haven't heard since.

It was surreal.
  • Options
    deek74deek74 Posts: 111
    It was announced and was the best show I have ever seen. I do remember them saying they would never play there again. Wish they were playing at the garden.
    1996 Randals Island NY, Hartford 1998 Hartford, Mansfield I, Mansfield II 2000 Mansfield I, Mansfield II 2003 Mansfield I, Mansfield III 2004 Boston I, Boston II 2006 Boston I, Boston II 2008 Hartford, Boston I, Boston II, Eddie Vedder Boston II 2009 Philly III 2010 Boston 2011 Eddie Vedder Providence, Eddie Vedder Boston 2011 PJ20 I, PJ20 II 2013 Worcester I, Worcester II
  • Options
    VacateVacate Posts: 57
    Awesome show. I remember hearing them start just as i was handing my ticket to the ticket checkers and having to sprint to get to my seat. I think they played "all those yesterdays" which was awesome...and "all or none". def songs i had never heard them do live before.
    www.myspace.com/vacate3
  • Options
    JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
    Vacate wrote:
    Awesome show. I remember hearing them start just as i was handing my ticket to the ticket checkers and having to sprint to get to my seat. I think they played "all those yesterdays" which was awesome...and "all or none". def songs i had never heard them do live before.

Yeah, rarities all over the place in that show. Amazing. Hopefully we'll get somethin like that there or at MSG.

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • Options
    CTMAN07CTMAN07 Posts: 12
    Concert was on my birthday. They did announce earlier in the day (radio??, website??) that PJ would be playing a preset. The entire night was pretty amazing. My birthday, incredible setlist, great seats, what more can you ask for.

I don't think they will ever do something like that again...but we can always hope!!!
    10/2/96, 9/13/98, 8/29/00, 7/11/03, 9/28/04, 5/4/06 Ed Sullivan Theater, 5/13/06, 6/27/08
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    My buddy called me while I was in NYC for the MSG shows and told me about the pre-show experiment having been announced on the radio. It 'got out' maybe 3-4 days before the show. They had to announce it on the radio so everyone would know to get there early.

Only PJ would do that. Ed made a promise (to play all songs) they could never keep unless they did something drastic.

What a band.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    deek74 wrote:
    It was announced and was the best show I have ever seen. I do remember them saying they would never play there again. Wish they were playing at the garden.

I would 10x rather see them at the Tweeter Ctr than the Garden. No question.
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,648
    BinFrog wrote:

I'm the exact opposite.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    BinFrog wrote:

fuck that!! i like having the train as my designated driver to the Garden! the drive to Mansfield sucks no matter what time you drive (and I'm less than an hour away)
  • Options
    fuck that!! i like having the train as my designated driver to the Garden! the drive to Mansfield sucks no matter what time you drive (and I'm less than an hour away)

Are you going for the convenience or the sound quality? The sound at the Garden was terrible in 06 (bad night 1, slightly improved night 2).
  • Options
    gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    BinFrog wrote:

Garden is much better.
    Not even close.
  • Options
    kh65kh65 Posts: 946
    PJbauer88 wrote:

It pisses me off to read this. I only went to one of the three shows and I wish I had gone to all 3. However, it sounds like nights one and three were better than the 2nd.
    "If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room."

Gambling=a taxation on stupidity.

Remember, you can walk anywhere, as long as you have the time.

http://www.ryanmontbleauband.com/

http://www.myspace.com/jessedee
  • Options
    I the July 3rd show (2nd show) was great. It doesn't get any attention because of the July 11 show, but it was one of the better shows I have been to. I think with the July 4th holdiday on deck, people let loose that day.
  • Options
    ctvedheadctvedhead Posts: 58
    To this day I still get a little heart flutter when I hear the opening bars of ATY. Hearing them start it that night was like having a little electrical shock going through me.
    if you call me Cupcake again I'll make fun of your knee socks and whistle
  • Options
    PJbauer88 wrote:

no they told us ahead of time. stupid unbelievable summer traffic though, I missed the first few songs.
  • Options
    ctvedhead wrote:
    To this day I still get a little heart flutter when I hear the opening bars of ATY. Hearing them start it that night was like having a little electrical shock going through me.

Yes, my jaw certainly hit the floor. I would have guessed 10 other rarities before I even though about that one.
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    Yes, my jaw certainly hit the floor. I would have guessed 10 other rarities before I even though about that one.

we were running through the ticket gates when they started playing it. I was like "is that...all those yesterdays???" and then we just bolted to our seats. it was like a bad dream when you can't run fast enough to get to some critical resource.
  • Options
    RedMosquito02RedMosquito02 Posts: 2,560
    BinFrog wrote:

Are you serious? This is probably the worst venue to see ANY band let alone, PJ...don't get me wrong I've seen them at Tweeter 7 times, but how can you even remotely think that Tweet is better than seeing them at the Garden? the energy is better in the Garden, sound, etc....

This is kind of along the lines of saying that you would rather see them at Jones Beach than MSG...doesn't make sense to me personally.

They said they would never play the Tweet again and it was the greatest thing I had ever heard PJ related....

So bunmmed that they're playing this shit venue again.....

Oh well, Tweet 8 and 9 here I come : )
  • Options
    deek74 wrote:

I was just about to ask that! I could swear I remember him saying something like , we're all done here, see you at the garden.
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,924
    Are you serious? This is probably the worst venue to see ANY band let alone, PJ...don't get me wrong I've seen them at Tweeter 7 times, but how can you even remotely think that Tweet is better than seeing them at the Garden? the energy is better in the Garden, sound, etc....

This is kind of along the lines of saying that you would rather see them at Jones Beach than MSG...doesn't make sense to me personally.

They said they would never play the Tweet again and it was the greatest thing I had ever heard PJ related....

You really think the sound is better at the Garden than it is at Tweeter? Really? wow

I think the sound is 10x better at Tweeter. Not to mention, the overall feel, environment, people tailgating, ect. IMO, the only thing better about seeing them at the Garden was the transportation aspect of it. It's obviously easier to get there, and get out, but that's it.

Obviously the sound at Jones Beach sucked, and who in their right mind would choose any venue over MSG?

None of the garden shows (except maybe in 94) hold a candle to the Tweeter shows.

It's all my opionion, of course, am I'm sure everyone will have a blast no matter where they are.
  • Options
    I was just about to ask that! I could swear I remember him saying something like , we're all done here, see you at the garden.
    Yeah, supposedly they were banned from performing there...beacuse of the lack of recognition of the cerfew...Ed also threw out a nice comment about "all the poeple in the trailer park are going to be pissed"...

Inceredible show....

The venue probably looked at the revenue loss from them playing the Garden instead and decided that PJ would be allowed back ; )

I have a horrendous story about the pre-set...I heard it but wasn't able to see it bacause of the bitch at the ticket wondow. I purchased my 10C tix with a friends CC and he was stuck in traffic....the woman wouldn't give me MY tix because I didn't have the CC that was used to purchase them...I had his address/DOB/everything but the actual card, I even had him call the box office to try and get them to release the tix...I had to do all I could to restrain myself from getting booted from the venue....then I would have missed the whole show : /
  • Options
    VacateVacate Posts: 57

My only guess is that the Garden was already booked or maybe some sort of conflict with the Celtics playoffs? Who knows. I think Eddie only said they would never play the Tweeter again was because they kept getting fines and complaints from locals for playing too long. But i would rather see them at the Tweeter, sound is better, setup is better, and you don't have to worry about paying $40 for parking. Plus everyone tailgates and it just has more atmosphere to me then getting lost in the clusterfuck of Boston. And the shows i did see at the Garden a few years ago did have Horrible sound as an earlier post stated.
    www.myspace.com/vacate3
  • Options
    You really think the sound is better at the Garden than it is at Tweeter? Really? wow

I think the sound is 10x better at Tweeter. Not to mention, the overall feel, environment, people tailgating, ect. IMO, the only thing better about seeing them at the Garden was the transportation aspect of it. It's obviously easier to get there, and get out, but that's it.

Obviously the sound at Jones Beach sucked, and who in their right mind would choose any venue over MSG?

None of the garden shows (except maybe in 94) hold a candle to the Tweeter shows.

It's all my opionion, of course, am I'm sure everyone will have a blast no matter where they are.

I respect your opinion fellow Mainer...where you at, by the way dude?
    The transportation itself is probably why I hate the Tweet so much...I have passed up some of my favorite bands there, because of the venue...

Wait, you're trying to say that 5/26/06 (Leash show) doesn't hold a candle to any Tweeter shows? You are wrong there sir, I'm sorry....
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,924
    I respect your opinion fellow Mainer...where you at, by the way dude?
    The transportation itself is probably why I hate the Tweet so much...I have passed up some of my favorite bands there, because of the venue...

Wait, you're trying to say that 5/26/06 (Leash show) doesn't hold a candle to any Tweeter shows? You are wrong there sir, I'm sorry....

You know, I looked back at that post and realized I may have jumped the gun a bit. The 06 shows at the Garden were great. I guess it was the VFC shows that were a bit underwhelming.

Who am I kidding? All PJ shows are great, and to think that we argue about what venue to see them in. We are spoiled.

To be honest, I enjoy the tailgating with friends at Tweeter much more than I do hanging out in bars in Boston. It's much cheaper, and everyone can be together. Honestly, I have a group of about 30 going down this summer, full on with grills, coolers, and everything else you can imagine. I guess that's what it comes down to for me.......the overall pre-show get together.

I didn't even see your location. I recently just bought a house in So Portland, but have lived on Cumberland Ave, near the base of Munjoy Hill, as well as living in North Deering for awhile. Whereabouts are you?
  • Options

totally agree with you red.

the sound is probably technically better at the tweeter center, but I love how loud and contained it is in arenas. and you're right the energy is better. those amphitheaters weren't designed for rock shows IMO. there's too much empty space, I feel too far away from the band and the other fans. Arenas are just more intimate.

also, living in the city, it bums me out to have to drive out to god knows where for a show. all that traffic and stuff, blegh. when they play the garden, you just hop on the T and you're home in bed in 30 minutes.
  • Options
    You know, I looked back at that post and realized I may have jumped the gun a bit. The 06 shows at the Garden were great. I guess it was the VFC shows that were a bit underwhelming.

Who am I kidding? All PJ shows are great, and to think that we argue about what venue to see them in. We are spoiled.

To be honest, I enjoy the tailgating with friends at Tweeter much more than I do hanging out in bars in Boston. It's much cheaper, and everyone can be together. Honestly, I have a group of about 30 going down this summer, full on with grills, coolers, and everything else you can imagine. I guess that's what it comes down to for me.......the overall pre-show get together.

I didn't even see your location. I recently just bought a house in So Portland, but have lived on Cumberland Ave, near the base of Munjoy Hill, as well as living in North Deering for awhile. Whereabouts are you?

Originally from Waterville...Right now I'm living on Grant St. (ghetto as I'm sure you're aware of), but will soon be moving into Baxter Place on Commercial....

My good friend has a coffee shop on the hill, Hilltop Coffee, I'm sure you've been there...it's a great little place.

I work in marketing at a small agency, emg3, in town....love it

I bring my dog over to Hinckley Park daily, over in So Po.....you in that area?

Taker easy dude....
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,004
    I the July 3rd show (2nd show) was great. It doesn't get any attention because of the July 11 show, but it was one of the better shows I have been to. I think with the July 4th holdiday on deck, people let loose that day.

agreed.. Mikey was going apeshit on the guitar all night..
    wicked rowdy crowd! (saturday night)

(Animal, LBC, Corduroy and Crazy Mary in particular )

and what a setlist!
    July 3, 2003 - Tweeter Center; Mansfield, Massachusetts
    Opening: Buzzcocks
    Ed solo before opening band:
    You've Got to Hide Your Love Away

Set List:
    Release, Animal, Gods' Dice, Do The Evolution, Insignificance, Love Boat Captain, I Got Shit, Low Light, Rival, Lukin, Not For You, Daughter, You Are, In Hiding, I Am A Patriot, Once, Rearviewmirror;

1st encore: Driven To Tears, Corduroy, Soldier Of Love, Crazy Mary, Alive;

2nd encore: Baba O'Riley, Yellow Ledbetter
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,004
    this is what was posted before night #3 on the PJ site Synergy:

Again, can you believe tickets were still available?
    what kind of an idiot couldn't figure this was a "have to witness this" event????

7/11/2003 - Pearl Jam To Open 3rd Boston Show With Extra One-Hour Set

Pearl Jam
    With Special Guest Sleater-Kinney
    At the Tweeter Center
    Friday, July 11, 2003

Boston – In order to accomplish their goal of performing their entire current repertoire over the course of the three Boston shows while not repeating a single song, Pearl Jam will play an extra one hour set at 6:30 p.m. before Sleater-Kinney takes the stage.

The revised show schedule looks like this:
    - 5:30 p.m. Doors open
    - 6:30 p.m. Pearl Jam plays extra one hour set
    - 7:30 p.m. Sleater-Kinney
    - 8:45 p.m. Pearl Jam

Tickets for Pearl Jam are still available through the Tweeter Center Box Office and at Ticketmaster outlets, including Filene's, by calling (617/508) 931-2000, or (617) 228-6000, or by logging on to http://www.cc.com. Tickets are $38.00 reserved and $34.00 lawn plus a $6.50 facility fee and applicable Ticketmaster service charges. Parking available at no additional charge. DOORS: 5:30 p.m.
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford