Options

Ed Ineligible!??!

2»

Comments

• Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Actually... it makes sense. The category is Original Score... which is basically theme music played throughout the movie. Like the Star Wars music or the Godfather music.
    'Into The Wild' is a collection of songs... like the Bee Gees 'Saturday Night Fever'. That doesn't mean there is a possibility of a best Original song nomination out there.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    BoSoxFan11 wrote:
    I think they just have something against Eddie Vedder no nomination for...Singles...

I know you meant for the music (which still wasn't Oscar-worthy), but I can't stop laughing at the idea of him being nominated for his acting.

Does staring at a television program about bees qualify him as Supporting Actor?

:D

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    So, Ed was not nominated for Best Original Song for Film?
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    Wasn't Eddie the guy that told the whole world that he didn't think a Grammy meant anything AFTER WINNING ONE? I don't think he'll be too broken up about this
  • Options
    Does winning an oscar make the song any better? The academy only likes overly produced disney music anyway.
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    tdub wrote:
    I'm not sure what this means. I don't think it means anything. That's just how I feel.

All of a sudden Ed's take on award presentations makes sense, huh?

That's hilarious
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    I think award shows can be fun but screwy.

Its like when I was younger and it was the kiss of death if they started playing a band you liked on the radio.

The Academy awards are very traditional- and perhaps they were afraid if Eddie won- he would put them over schedule with one of his rants.

Many composers haven't been acknowledged- Eddie has some esteemed company.
    None of Bernard Herrmann's innovative and memorable scores for any of Alfred Hitchcock's thrillers won, let alone got nominated. They include "Vertigo," "North by Northwest" and "Psycho," the latter possibly the most imitated score in horror-movie history. In fact, Herrmann was overlooked for 30 years until he received two posthumous noms (in 1976) for "Obsession" and "Taxi Driver."
    http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=awardcentral&jump=features&id=musicii07&articleid=VR1117959350
    You must be the change you want to see in the world
    -Gandhi
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    LongRd. wrote:
    The Oscars have always had some serious weird ass rules.
    For example: Best Foreign Language film. Not only does the film have to be non-English but it has to be PRODUCED* outside the U.S. as well.

*Meaning that even if an American production company help financed the film outside the States, it will be ineligible as well.

and besides I think that these use of songs business is relevant only to the score, the score is the entire group of songs so they probably ruled it ineligible because Society and Hard Sun are covers.

As far as the Best Original Song category, I think that was just not nominated because they didnt feel like it deserved it, not because it was ineligible.
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    gozzo5058gozzo5058 Posts: 611
    http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/01/22/jonny-greenwood-disqualified-from-oscar-race-rolling-stones-may-sell-back-catalogue-snoop-collaborating-with-beckham-and-more/

Jonny Greenwood’s score for There Will Be Blood was shut out of Oscar consideration after the Academy ruled it fell under the heading of “scores diluted by the use of tracked themes or other pre-existing music,” Variety reports. Into the Wild was also ruled ineligible due to “predominant use of songs.” Check back later today for more on the Oscar nominations.

interesting, would like to find out more on this...
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    I thought he was a favorite for the oscar's? WTF? Didn't he have 3 songs on the oscar short list a month ago?

How the fuck didn't they know about these rules back then? This whole time I thought that he was a shoe in for a best original song nomination.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    not this time for EV
    http://www.oscar.com/nominees/
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,088
    I don't think Into the Wild was excluded literally because of "predominant use of songs." I think Rolling Stone was making a joke to illustrate how flawed the nomination process is.

That's my interpretation.

DP
    Not really directed just at you. It's the same reason Enchanted wasn't nominated for score. That same guy kept winning for his song-laden Disney scores ("The Little Mermaid," "Aladdin," "Beauty and the Beast") so they added a clause to exclude movie scores that were mostly songs to favour composers who focus on the business of dramatic scoring, not use of songs. It's a bit unfair, I wouldn't say that it's the same thing at all in this case.

At least it seems to me the point they're making is that the score's (the whole score including the stuff by Michael Brook and Kaki King) best part is the songs and that excludes it from the score award.

As for why Guaranteed did get a nomination for song, it beats me!
  • Options
    NoonieNoonie Posts: 93
    Damn, I totally read this thread's title as "Ed Intelligible!??!"
    My rhymes and records they don't get played
    Because my records and rhymes they don't get made
    And if you rap like me you don't get paid
    And if you roll like me you don't get laid.
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,088
    Noonie wrote:
    Damn, I totally read this thread's title as "Ed Intelligible!??!"
    Don't be ridiculous! :D
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    My thoughts are - (predicting Ed's) predominant use of expletives while bringing up president Bush and the war in Iraq while accepting an award.

That is what I think.

F the Oscars. And F the war.
  • Options
    I HATED "Enchanted". Now I have another reason to hate it

THREE SONGS????

are you kidding me

alan meinken doesn't have enough oscars?

all of those songs are better than "Guarenteed"?

b.s.
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    I think they've got something against Penn. He wasn't up for Director nor was the movie up for anything either.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    that's for the score, and that makes sense to me, but what about the individual song category, no excuse there.

indeed.
    a score is not simply a collection of songs, it's much different from simply a soundtrack. many films have soundtracks, but they don't all have scores.....and i am not educated enough in the language of music to explain the differece, but there IS a difference. however, completely agree regarding individual song category.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    quasiquasi Posts: 492
    Wait a minute, Aimee Mann's "Magnolia" soundtrack which were all songs was nominated back in 2002 I believe for an Oscar. What the hell? Or maybe it was just one of her songs..."Save Me".
    SEA 9/20/92, SEA 12/7/93, SEA 12/31/94 (MS), SEA 11/5/00, SEA 11/6/00, SEA 12/8/02, SEA 12/9/02, BEN 10/22/03, GOR 9/1/05, SD 7/7/06, LA 7/10/06, LA 7/12/06, LA (EV) 4/12/08, LA (EV) 4/13/08, LA 7/12/08, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/7/09, SEA 12/6/13, SEA 8/8/18