Options

Come Back is a song based on something very real...

jorgemsjorgems Posts: 276
edited April 2008 in The Porch
My mom died July of last year after fighting a tough battle against diabetes...At nights sometimes I have these dreams where I swear shes still alive and shes talking to us...

When I hear come back I always think of her and how it is true that when you meet a person who died in your dreams you REALLY feel like its happening...When you wake up you feel sad that it was just a dream though...

It is a very underrated song which I think is very deep and emotional...
Albuquerque 98, BSB 99, Houston 2000, San Antonio 2003, Monterrey 2005, Las Vegas 2006, Los Angeles Night 2 2008 (Ed Solo)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jorgems wrote:
    My mom died July of last year after fighting a tough battle against diabetes...At nights sometimes I have these dreams where I swear shes still alive and shes talking to us...

When I hear come back I always think of her and how it is true that when you meet a person who died in your dreams you REALLY feel like its happening...When you wake up you feel sad that it was just a dream though...

interesting, ive never had that happen, but it must be very exillerating.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Beautiful song; love it
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    OneLoveOneLove Posts: 563
    jorgems wrote:

Yep. Gave me chills the first time I heard it. Deffinately had those dreams with one of my dear friends in it...
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    I agree. This song couldn't have captured these feelings any better. The guitar still gives me chills every time I hear it.
  • Options
    TEEJAM11TEEJAM11 Posts: 335
    jorgems wrote:

You are not alone, I lost my best friend and have had this happen as well.
  • Options
    rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    It's a great song. Sorry about your mom too. Keep on listening and spreading the word of Come Back. Pearl Jam.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Options
    knittedknitted Posts: 244
    TEEJAM11 wrote:
    You are not alone, I lost my best friend and have had this happen as well.

me too, so i knew exactly where ed was coming from the first time i heard this song.
    http://www.sublime-retro.net

when my ears ring, my heart beats
  • Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    I can't listen to it at the moment, not that it stops the dreams, but I've always loved this song. It's very special to me.

I'm really sorry about your Mum jorgems, but it's so soothing to see them in your dreams isn't it? Gives a lot of comfort and peace, well I think so anyway. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    jorgems wrote:

my mom died like 4 years ago and I still have those dreams.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    indifferentmanindifferentman Goshen, IN Posts: 731
    Interesting perspective on the song, I guess I always associated it with losing someone in a relationship, not in death. Of the songs that really touch me from a "feeling of loss" standpoint, I think Other Side and Man of the Hour have always had a strong emmotional effect on me.

The following lines in the song really hit me hard:

"I'm not the same without you here
    How can I quit to be there
    Sit and stare
    Stare..
    Begging for a prayer"

They make me think way too much about losing my Grandpa to cancer 2 years ago. The "Sit and stare, stare.. begging for a prayer" part captures that helplessness of watching someone slip away, while you know you can't do anything to stop it. I think my Grandparents love for each other really is typified in the song too.

Man of the Hour really makes me think of my Grandpa too. "A snow flake falls in May" has really hit me in retrospect. We found out he had cancer in May. The idea of the anomoly of a snowflake in May, and the unexpectedness of that occurance, just seemed to really strike me when I found my own meaning to it I guess. I think the idea of the farewell for a really special person really is something I relate to my Grandpa too. His funeral was held at the church itself, and I swear a 1,000 people must have come to pay their respects that day. It really made me think about how many lives he touched.

Light Years always struck me as a good "farewell song" too. Unfortunately a little more poignant to me lately as one of my best friends died in a car accident the week before Easter. He was only 28.
    I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind - E.V.
    06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
  • Options
    indifferentmanindifferentman Goshen, IN Posts: 731
    Interesting perspective on the song, I guess I always associated it with losing someone in a relationship, not in death. Of the songs that really touch me from a "feeling of loss" standpoint, I think Other Side and Man of the Hour have always had a strong emmotional effect on me.

The following lines in the song really hit me hard:

"I'm not the same without you here
    How can I quit to be there
    Sit and stare
    Stare..
    Begging for a prayer"

They make me think way too much about losing my Grandpa to cancer 2 years ago. The "Sit and stare, stare.. begging for a prayer" part captures that helplessness of watching someone slip away, while you know you can't do anything to stop it. I think my Grandparents love for each other really is typified in the song too.

Man of the Hour really makes me think of my Grandpa too. "A snow flake falls in May" has really hit me in retrospect. We found out he had cancer in May. The idea of the anomoly of a snowflake in May, and the unexpectedness of that occurance, just seemed to really strike me when I found my own meaning to it I guess. I think the idea of the farewell for a really special person really is something I relate to my Grandpa too. His funeral was held at the church itself, and I swear a 1,000 people must have come to pay their respects that day. It really made me think about how many lives he touched.
    I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind - E.V.
    06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    This song is just fucking amazing in every way, easily beats Marker for me to be the best tune of Advocado........simply awesome
  • Options
    jdwyer02jdwyer02 Posts: 110
    Although I have never lossed anyone close to me pass away, 'Comeback' has always hit me very hard. Maybe it's the fact that I feel very sorry for the people who have lossed someone close. The lyrics are very well written and I love the song.

I am truly, deeply sorry for anyone here who has lossed a loved one.
    "Many people don't know what their life is worth. I do....70 Grand!"
  • Options
    jorgemsjorgems Posts: 276
    I guess seeing a passed away loved one in your dreams is kind of comforting, but when you wake up you do feel very sad...Its a really intense feeling actually...

Actually when we were at the funeral, Come Back just kept playing in my head automatically, it was weird, because before that I hadnt paid too much attention to the song...
    Albuquerque 98, BSB 99, Houston 2000, San Antonio 2003, Monterrey 2005, Las Vegas 2006, Los Angeles Night 2 2008 (Ed Solo)
  • Options
    SammyK14SammyK14 Posts: 287
    i have never made that connection with come back before even though i have lost a loved one, but perhaps i will perceive the song differently after reading this thread
    in that sense, i think i've had more of an emotional connection with Sad...the first time i heard it i really felt like i could relate to the message
    5 years of Jam...

06: Pittsburgh
    07: Lollapalooza
    08: Bonnaroo, DC
    EV (second row!!!!!!) in DC
    09: Philly 2 & 3
    10: Newark
  • Options
    MargoMargo Posts: 256
    My father died 5 years ago and I have found a lot of comfort in this song. Very meaningful and powerful song.
    Amsterdam 1996, Arnhem 2006, Nijmegen 2007, Dusseldorf 2007, Rotterdam 2009
    London 2009, Dublin 2010, Belfast 2010, Nijmegen 2010, Manchester I & II 2012, Amsterdam I 2012, Stockholm 2012, EV Amsterdam I 2012