Options

I wanna get this off my chest.

xkevvxxkevvx Posts: 348
edited January 2008 in The Porch
I bought a Benaroya vinyl. After a couple years, I figured, "I'm never going to get another record player." After all, mine was broken but I figured I was going to get a new one. I ended up getting a couple kids, lost my job...I was broke. Kids needed food. I needed money. I SOLD IT ON EBAY. (the records, not the kids.) Anyhow, I started the auction at what I paid for it, I wasn't paying attention to what they were selling for. I sold it for more than it should be. So I sent the vinyl and sent the guy a LOT of boots to go along with it. I mean, it's something. Anyhow I'm a bad person.

BUT...

October 1st, 2004. I went to the Reading, PA VFC show, right down the road from my house. I had tickets to Toledo the next day. At the last minute the dude I was going to Toledo with backed out. I could not go. I had no way. As I'm leaving the parking garage after the Reading show, I saw a car with an Ohio license plate. I walked up to him and asked if he was going to Toledo. He said no. I thought he thought I was going to ask for a ride, but I wasn't. I said "I have tickets, but can't go. You want them?" He was like "Uh, ok". I said here you go. He said "Uh, thanks". So I gave away a 100 dollar pair of tickets to a stranger. They were RIGHT behind the stage, too.

So I'm not a bad person, right?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    your cool don't worry.And if others say your not who cares.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    UndyTakerUndyTaker Posts: 358
    Benny-bad
    Tix-good

You could have offered the Benny here to one of us who doesn't have it. Plus you weren't supposed to resell it per 10C rules. The tix thing was nice. Again, you could have offered them here to someone and they could have met you and picked them up, but giving to a stranger is pretty nice.

I think you're leaning more on the bad side, to be honest. Have a nice weekend though. :)
    I shit and I stink. I'm real, join the club.

A friend, he called, I didn't mention a thing. The last thing he said was, "Be sound". Sound. I contemplated an awful thing, I hate to admit. I just thought those would be such appropriate last words. But I'm still here.
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    I never understood the guilt trip that people here put on people who sold the Benaroya vinyls. Its a valuable commodity, and could fetch quite a return. I don't think they are less of a fan for buying a collectible and not using it. That's what happens to collectables, and sometimes the price is right enough for the owner to part with it. Obviously people are willing to pay outlandish amounts for it.
  • Options
    UndieTaker wrote:
    Benny-bad
    Tix-good

You could have offered the Benny here to one of us who doesn't have it. Plus you weren't supposed to resell it per 10C rules. The tix thing was nice. Again, you could have offered them here to someone and they could have met you and picked them up, but giving to a stranger is pretty nice.

I think you're leaning more on the bad side, to be honest. Have a nice weekend though. :)

But with Benaroya...I really wanted to keep it, but I was desperate for money and was selling everything I could. Some people get poor and have to do it. I wasn't expecting hundreds of dollars for it, but I needed money.

As for the tickets, it was LITERALLY last minute. I mean, I'm sure the dude I gave them to was a fan...after all, he drove from Ohio to Reading to see them, so I know he appreciated them.

If it was a different situation, and I just plain didn't want the vinyl, I'd have offered to somebody here. I wasn't trying to be a "flipper", I was being desperate.
  • Options
    xkevvx wrote:
    But with Benaroya...I really wanted to keep it, but I was desperate for money and was selling everything I could. Some people get poor and have to do it. I wasn't expecting hundreds of dollars for it, but I needed money.

As for the tickets, it was LITERALLY last minute. I mean, I'm sure the dude I gave them to was a fan...after all, he drove from Ohio to Reading to see them, so I know he appreciated them.

If it was a different situation, and I just plain didn't want the vinyl, I'd have offered to somebody here. I wasn't trying to be a "flipper", I was being desperate.

I don't know why you feel the need to explain yourself. Its a record. A rare one that is valuable. People are willing to buy it. You shouldn't feel guilty. People just get all bent out of shape because they think their sentimentality is more important than your ability to put food on the table. There are more important things than Pearl Jam records.

Next time you sell something of value and make a profit...let's say a house..are you gonna apologize to people who don't have homes?
  • Options
    Igottago wrote:
    I never understood the guilt trip that people here put on people who sold the Benaroya vinyls. Its a valuable commodity, and could fetch quite a return. I don't think they are less of a fan for buying a collectible and not using it. That's what happens to collectables, and sometimes the price is right enough for the owner to part with it. Obviously people are willing to pay outlandish amounts for it.

But being one that sold it, I still understand why people don't like others that sell it. That's why I hate limited edition stuff. As said in a recent thread about Into the Wild vinyl...why not just make enough for everybody? The only ones that lose out are the people who buy it just to sell it. I didn't buy just to go sell...that's why I STILL feel like a dick.
  • Options
    Igottago wrote:
    I don't know why you feel the need to explain yourself. Its a record. A rare one that is valuable. People are willing to buy it. You shouldn't feel guilty. People just get all bent out of shape because they think their sentimentality is more important than your ability to put food on the table. There are more important things than Pearl Jam records.

Next time you sell something of value and make a profit...let's say a house..are you gonna apologize to people who don't have homes?

You're right, but...I don't know...it's a big deal around here.
  • Options
    xkevvx wrote:
    You're right, but...I don't know...it's a big deal around here.

That's because its like a cult here. And people get jealous when they miss out on something. Its quite rediculous actually.
  • Options
    Igottago wrote:
    That's because its like a cult here. And people get jealous when they miss out on something. Its quite rediculous actually.

Yeah, it's ridiculous, but I know what they're saying. I remember trying to get tickets for those Borgata shows a couple years ago. I didn't get any. I was pissed at those assholes that bought them just to sell them for profit. Benaroya vinyl was like one of those tickets to some people...even better...

But yeah, I did give away a pair of tickets to one of the best Pearl Jam shows ever, if you're a Neil Young fan. Where's my free tickets!!!
  • Options
    I dunno, I personally never give two shits if I don't get a limited edition vinyl or particular tickets. There's always something you're gonna miss out on. At the end of the day stadiums only fit so many people, someone has to miss out. And if I really, really need to see a show, I know I might have to be willing to pay a higher price to get seats I want. Its the way it works. Otherwise I just go home and chill the fuck out.
  • Options
    Igottago wrote:
    And if I really, really need to see a show, I know I might have to be willing to pay a higher price to get seats I want.

You're right. Philly '05 I had to buy scalped tickets in the parking lot for $80 each. I didn't come here after the show to cry.

(I just went to bed with my emptier than it should be wallet and cried.)
  • Options
    UndyTakerUndyTaker Posts: 358
    Personally, I'm not being bitter or trying to put a guilt trip on anyone. The fact is that 10C put the no resale rule on it, and people did. So if you are going to get rid of it, at least offer it to someone who doesn't have one.

I didn't get one, it's true. Do I like that? No. But am I bitching? No. Am I mad at the original poster for not selling Benny here? No. But it would have been nice. And maybe not against the rules.

The thing I really don't like is people who sign up everyone in their household for 10C memberships, and try to get multiples of items. That's bullshit. I don't care if you are your wife both have memberships, it should be one item per household. That's one reason why some of us didn't get Benny's. And that sucks really bad. It's not fair.

You can bitch about people being bitter, but that's not necessarily fair. There are some of us who collect things(ie: posters, vinyl, etc.) and it sucks when we can't get what we want because of greedy bastards. If people played by the rules, there would be A LOT less bitching. Plain and simple.
    I shit and I stink. I'm real, join the club.

A friend, he called, I didn't mention a thing. The last thing he said was, "Be sound". Sound. I contemplated an awful thing, I hate to admit. I just thought those would be such appropriate last words. But I'm still here.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,721
    your a fucking top man, dont worry about it, if someone wnats something so bad they'll pay a lot of money for it so be it. I spend loads on Pearl jam, but thats becuase I want to, i dont hold it against the people who sell to me, they've got what I want and I pay the price that the open market brings.

Chill, and smile
  • Options
    what do you wanna hear man???

'dude you're a top guy who actually deserves a 10 grand job and a supermodel girlfriend just because your thoughts are wayyyyy better than the dalai lama's...'

i tell you something...never should have sold the vinyl ( 'kids and food'...tss..come on...should have sold your bike or your never-used golfbag instead)...and the thing with the tix....dude i'm speechless...are u such a dastard not to go there just by yourself?? or ask the guy to join you???...

but hey....just to make you feel better....you're a priceless benefactor man...
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah slaves to consumerism......
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    chinobaezachinobaeza Santiago Posts: 2,489
    xkevvx wrote:
    So I'm not a bad person, right?
    you are not a bad person.....he is: http://forums.pearljam.com/showpost.php?p=5119285&postcount=1
  • Options
    pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306
    pdalowsky wrote:
    your a fucking top man, dont worry about it, if someone wnats something so bad they'll pay a lot of money for it so be it. I spend loads on Pearl jam, but thats becuase I want to, i dont hold it against the people who sell to me, they've got what I want and I pay the price that the open market brings.

Chill, and smile

Word.

You did what you did and that's it. Someone wants Benny or anything else it's there for a price, albeit a ridiculous one. I've been lucky in a lot of ways with PJ stuff but I've also missed out. I've either have paid the price or I don't have it, no big deal in the scheme of life.

Enjoy the things that you have and look forward to the things yet to come :)
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,721
    the last posters thoughts are superb and must make sense in the grand scheme of things, why is then that i cant get out of my head that damn vitalogy jack daniesl set i missed last November on ebay over a few extra quid....aaaarrrgggghhhhh
  • Options
    pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306
    pdalowsky wrote:
    the last posters thoughts are superb and must make sense in the grand scheme of things, why is then that i cant get out of my head that damn vitalogy jack daniesl set i missed last November on ebay over a few extra quid....aaaarrrgggghhhhh

Well when you do get it it'll be that much more enjoyable! :)
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.