Whale Wars= total incompetance

Tenzing N.Tenzing N. Posts: 466
edited March 2013 in A Moving Train
I know its been discussed before but after watching several episodes tonight I am further reminded of the total failure that is the Sea Shepherd. They obviously lack a safety management system, they have a very, very poor communication system in place and are clearly ill prepared to be doing what they are doing.

I give them credit for operating in the environment they're in and obviously my view may be highly tainted due to the filming and editing of the film crew but even considering this I feel the evidence is there.

If I were any of the benifactors or major donors I would seriously question the entire operation.

What type of training do the volunteers recieve?
Is there a thourough safety management system in place?
Is there a culture of risk management and loss prevention?

Sorry whales- your protectors are in need of protection from themselves.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• markin ballmarkin ball Posts: 1,066
    Hippies are terrible at running shit! Ever go to a store ran by hippies, like a used book store or something like that? Half the time the store is closed during business hours because somebody just didn't show up that day. Ever take a yoga class? Same thing. They get cancelled all the time without notification. You show up but the instructor doesn't and then the next week he says he wanted to call but..."you know"? It's anarchy. :lol:

"Never follow a hippie to a second location."
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
  • SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    Your first problem is you are watching a reality tv show thinking it is "reality".
  • Tenzing N.Tenzing N. Posts: 466
    Yes- I know it's "reality" TV but this stuff is happening down there and even with the most outrageous editing or set ups it's pretty clear that those people are wasting a lot of money.
  • whygohomewhygohome Posts: 2,305
    Hippies are terrible at running shit! Ever go to a store ran by hippies, like a used book store or something like that? Half the time the store is closed during business hours because somebody just didn't show up that day. Ever take a yoga class? Same thing. They get cancelled all the time without notification. You show up but the instructor doesn't and then the next week he says he wanted to call but..."you know"? It's anarchy. :lol:

I'm a hippie and I'm entering my second year of a PhD program. How dare you sir!!!!
  • markin ballmarkin ball Posts: 1,066
    whygohome wrote:

I'm a hippie and I'm entering my second year of a PhD program. How dare you sir!!!!

First of all I call bullshit. No hippie every called anyone "sir". Secondly, I didn't know you could get a PhD in hackysack. :lol: JK. I kid because I love.
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Didn't hippies evolve after Jerry Garcia died?
    whygohome wrote:

First of all I call bullshit. No hippie every called anyone "sir". Secondly, I didn't know you could get a PhD in hackysack. :lol: JK. I kid because I love.

MA in hacky sack.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    It is unreal how awful these people are at this. I have watched the show quite a bit and I don't think I have ever seen them implement any of their plans or ideas successfully. For some reason I enjoy watching it but it is pitiful how unsuccessful they are.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    if the appropriate governments enforced the law thered be no need for the sea shepherd.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    if the appropriate governments enforced the law thered be no need for the sea shepherd.

Any idea what government is responsible for enforcing these these laws?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

yes. in the southern ocean it is at least the responsibility of the australian govt. but a blind eye is turned cause the japanese are a big trade partner of ours.

but considering its international law its the repsonsibility of ALL nations to enforce the law.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

yes. in the southern ocean it is at least the responsibility of the australian govt. but a blind eye is turned cause the japanese are a big trade partner of ours.

but considering its international law its the repsonsibility of ALL nations to enforce the law.

Interesting, as always, its all about the money. It's a shame the sea shepard can't do a better job but the Japanese seem to be very well prepared for them.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Interesting, as always, its all about the money. It's a shame the sea shepard can't do a better job but the Japanese seem to be very well prepared for them.

well of course they are. these damn hippies are interfering in their economic livelihood.

i have to say im not against hunting whales in sustainable quantities. but what shits me is how they pretend its for scientific purposes and we pretend to believe them.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Tenzing N.Tenzing N. Posts: 466
    So you've got one country who would like to harvest a number of whales, several countries (mostly Australia?) knows this isn't research but is willing to let it slide and a group of highly persistant people who are down there trying to stop them.

Solution: Bring all three groups together and agree on a number that the Japanese CAN take- unhindered. The number will be less than the Japanese want and more than the rest of the world wants. Then asign and share the costs of maintaining a group to monitor the actions of the Whalers. The Sea Shepherd, the Japanese, and the rest of the world gives and takes. Everyone concedes something, everyone gets something and no one dies.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    At least they were competent enough to get a few weeks out of their $3M super boat, the Ady Gil, before sinking it. I'm actually surprised they were able to just get it from L.A. to the whaling waters without scuttling it.

Amazingly enough, there appears to be enough wealthy donors out there to support the construction of the Ady Gil 2 whose cost is estimated between $3M - $5M.
  • ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    There's no doubt that there is incompetence running wild on those boats. My daughter and I watch this show, and my blood boils every time. There's a part of me that wants to see them just ram the shit out of the Japanese whalers, or drop butyric acid from the helicopter onto the deck of the processing ship. You know, just go nuts. I realize that this would probably end up with them dead or in jail, therefore not helping the whales at all, but damn it! I believe the show is edited in a way to make them look as good as they possibly can, so you know the situation is probably much worse than what is being presented.
  • I don't know a lot about the show, and have only watched it a few times... but who is financially backing these people? I admire their passion and what they are trying to do, but man... it just seems like a waste of money to give it to these people.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • aerialaerial Posts: 2,319
    I don't know a lot about the show, and have only watched it a few times... but who is financially backing these people? I admire their passion and what they are trying to do, but man... it just seems like a waste of money to give it to these people.
    I was wondering the same thing about the financial backing for this project...I watched the show twice and came to the conclusion they are wasting money ...wish they would send someone to college, feed the hungry or something that would help a human.
    “We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln
    I don't know a lot about the show, and have only watched it a few times... but who is financially backing these people? I admire their passion and what they are trying to do, but man... it just seems like a waste of money to give it to these people.
    bob_barker.jpg

Although I don't agree with where he sending his money, the first person to badmouth Bob Barker gets their thumbs broke.
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    aerial wrote:
    I was wondering the same thing about the financial backing for this project...I watched the show twice and came to the conclusion they are wasting money ...wish they would send someone to college, feed the hungry or something that would help a human.

You do understand that saving the animals of the oceans and such IS helping humans, yeah?
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
    the wolf wrote:
    aerial wrote:

You do understand that saving the animals of the oceans and such IS helping humans, yeah?

its a delicate balance isnt it?? but i refuse to feel more emotional about cetaceans than other marine lifeforms.

i have this argument with my father every time he advocates the killing of great whites. hes a smart man but it horrifies me he doesnt seem to get it. mind you he lives on an island not that far from a known great white shark environment.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    Tenzing N. wrote:
    So you've got one country who would like to harvest a number of whales, several countries (mostly Australia?) knows this isn't research but is willing to let it slide and a group of highly persistant people who are down there trying to stop them.

Solution: Bring all three groups together and agree on a number that the Japanese CAN take- unhindered. The number will be less than the Japanese want and more than the rest of the world wants. Then asign and share the costs of maintaining a group to monitor the actions of the Whalers. The Sea Shepherd, the Japanese, and the rest of the world gives and takes. Everyone concedes something, everyone gets something and no one dies.
    That's sensible, but also how it IS done. The international whaling comittee (dont remember it's exact name) sets quotas for what's allowable to fish for "scientific purposes". And although they are quite high and maybe more than science strictly would need, the general ban is in place. Basically only Norway and Japan have much interest in whaling and are keen to allow more. The rest of this comittee are comprised of countries who doesn't really have much of an interest anymore, at least not enough to withstand the bad public PR that can be rallied behind cute mammals in the sea.

So today's practice is the dirty compromise that leaves all parties a little unhappy. The whale populations have recovered a deal from their crash, although I do not know the latest numbers.

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
    the wolf wrote:
    aerial wrote:

Not many people see the connection between humans and the natural world anymore. The more we destroy the environment, the more we destroy ourselves. Unfortunately, biological necessity has given way to economic/material necessity. We are cyborgs.
  • MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    Jason P wrote:
    At least they were competent enough to get a few weeks out of their $3M super boat, the Ady Gil, before sinking it. I'm actually surprised they were able to just get it from L.A. to the whaling waters without scuttling it.

Amazingly enough, there appears to be enough wealthy donors out there to support the construction of the Ady Gil 2 whose cost is estimated between $3M - $5M.
    The wrecking of the Ady Gil was, I think, the one scene I've actually watched of that show. Is it just me or did it seem like they went out of their way to get rammed, like they shut their motor off and just sat there? Like it was a caculated cost, worth it to make a point about how aggressive the Japanese are about killing their whales. The fact that they arlready have another backer, willing to throw another $3-5M at Ady Gil II, lends credence to that view.
  • OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    Some is going to get killed on that show due to stupidity.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
    The Bob Barker gets sandwiched ....

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/51124/dramatic+collision+in+southern+ocean+leaves+anti-whaling+boat+damaged/

Time to pass the collection hat out again ...

:corn:
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Just reading through this thread for the first time reminds me of the summer of 1970 when I worked for UAL cleaning airplanes between semesters. My hair was half way down my back, not that that means anything but... one night one of the mechanics saw me and belted out, "Hey guys, looks like we have a HIPPIE on the cleaning crew. HAHAHA!" One of the other mechanics I had recently met snapped back at the guy, "He's working, isn't he? There are no hippies here!" That was cool!

As for the video posted above, good enough reason for me to send a donation to the Sea Shephard Conservation Society. No hippies there. Those people are working!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    The activists are volunteers, and I just think it's pointless to squirt water at another ship as an act of protest.

The best moment of that show is when the Japanese ship completely smashed the brand new vessel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycyCfK14axw :lol::lol:

animal planet is really running out of ideas.. I love South Park

I agree at least they are working. But It makes my mind numb
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    brianlux wrote:

Awe the Peppers.... Dang it!
    :)