Black Crowes double acoustic album, tour, hiatus, **RETURN**

Comments

• doujodoujo Posts: 285
    Excellent, I will get this once i get home from work
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    Flagg wrote:
    You can get the Croweology version of Jealous Again free from Amazon.

Not a big difference from the album version but very well done.
    Was it the free mp3 of the day? I'm thinking I missed it...damn it
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Flagg wrote:
    You can get the Croweology version of Jealous Again free from Amazon.

Not a big difference from the album version but very well done.
    Was it the free mp3 of the day? I'm thinking I missed it...damn it

Oh, I don't know if it was only for a day.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • bjmjplbjmjpl Posts: 134
    so cool to see - my second and third fave bands getting together...

jovi is the first - any takers :)
  • Man I listened to the leaked version of Croweology on the way to Blacksburg today and it's incredible. One of very few bands that you don't feel ripped off by them rehashing the same songs.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    will most definitely be picking this up on tuesday! :thumbup:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • I'm such a dumb ass I never did get it pre-ordered (though I thought about doing so several times) so if WalMart doesn't have it Tuesday I'll be driving an hour to pick it up after work.
    Glad to hear the good report review of it too.
    Are any of the tunes drastically different from the originals or do any of them really stand out?

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • I'm such a dumb ass I never did get it pre-ordered (though I thought about doing so several times) so if WalMart doesn't have it Tuesday I'll be driving an hour to pick it up after work.
    Are any of the tunes drastically different from the originals or do any of them really stand out?

Well let's put it this way. Each disc has 10 tracks and each disc is over 60 minutes, so they jam some of them out pretty good.

Also, some of the tracks were definitely done live, as you can hear some clapping at the end. I'm not sure how they decided which ones to do that way or why they didn't do them all one way or the other, as I think there were only a few that sounded like that.

Well let's put it this way. Each disc has 10 tracks and each disc is over 60 minutes, so they jam some of them out pretty good.

Also, some of the tracks were definitely done live, as you can hear some clapping at the end. I'm not sure how they decided which ones to do that way or why they didn't do them all one way or the other, as I think there were only a few that sounded like that.
    Cool....I can't wait to hear it

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I ordered the T-shirt, CD, and sticker package. It's going to be very difficult to not go out and buy a copy on Tuesday knowing this is on it's way.

:thumbup: Freak N' Roll!
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • This should be cool....

THE BLACK CROWES
    TO ROLL OUT
    “20 YEARS OF TALL TALES”
    WEB SERIES
    STARTING AUGUST 3,
    THE SAME DAY THE BAND RELEASES
    NEW DOUBLE ALBUM ‘CROWEOLOGY’

“20 Years of Tall Tales” is the title of the web series THE BLACK CROWES will roll out starting Tuesday, August 3, the street date for CROWEOLOGY (Silver Arrow/Megaforce Records), their first-ever double album of all-acoustic material with new arrangements of their best-loved songs and deep cuts.

In a wide-ranging and freewheeling interview marking the 20th anniversary of their landmark multi-platinum debut, 1990's Shake Your Moneymaker, CHRIS ROBINSON talks about where THE BLACK CROWES have been and where they are now.

Throughout the month of August, the band will release via their website (www.blackcrowes.com) one webisode per day. It’s all here: the highs, the lows, the controversies, arrests, feuds and more. “20 Years of Tall Tales” was directed and produced by John Vanover and filmed earlier this month at Robinson’s Los Angeles home.

Chris Robinson (vocals), Rich Robinson (guitar), Steve Gorman (drums), Sven Pipien (bass), Luther Dickinson (guitar) and Adam McDougall (keyboards)--share the ride in “20 Years of Tall Tales.”
    http://blackcrowes.com/

This should be cool....

THE BLACK CROWES
    TO ROLL OUT
    “20 YEARS OF TALL TALES”
    WEB SERIES
    STARTING AUGUST 3,
    THE SAME DAY THE BAND RELEASES
    NEW DOUBLE ALBUM ‘CROWEOLOGY’

“20 Years of Tall Tales” is the title of the web series THE BLACK CROWES will roll out starting Tuesday, August 3, the street date for CROWEOLOGY (Silver Arrow/Megaforce Records), their first-ever double album of all-acoustic material with new arrangements of their best-loved songs and deep cuts.

In a wide-ranging and freewheeling interview marking the 20th anniversary of their landmark multi-platinum debut, 1990's Shake Your Moneymaker, CHRIS ROBINSON talks about where THE BLACK CROWES have been and where they are now.

Throughout the month of August, the band will release via their website (http://www.blackcrowes.com) one webisode per day. It’s all here: the highs, the lows, the controversies, arrests, feuds and more. “20 Years of Tall Tales” was directed and produced by John Vanover and filmed earlier this month at Robinson’s Los Angeles home.

Chris Robinson (vocals), Rich Robinson (guitar), Steve Gorman (drums), Sven Pipien (bass), Luther Dickinson (guitar) and Adam McDougall (keyboards)--share the ride in “20 Years of Tall Tales.”
    http://blackcrowes.com/

Just when I think The Black Crowes couldn't get anymore awesome, badass, classy, and the way a band should be.

:clap:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • So true DC. I also noticed they are going to be on The Artist's Den on PBS and that it was recorded up the road from me. I don't think our local affiliate carries that show though...I've never seen it but then again I don't normally tune to PBS

Listening now. Too wrapped up in it to gather thought, but I will. Initial reactions:

That version of Let Me Share the Ride is um, interesting . . .

Remedy sounded refreshed to me.

Hotel Illness - best track so far.

Soul Singing - Love that song and it sounds great here, not much different though.

Cold Boy Smile sounds great. Nice to hear a studio version of a song that has only been heard live.

She Talks to Angels - the strings breathe new life into this one for sure. Probably haven't listened to this song in forever, but I love what they have done with it. The strings make it . . . sadder? Maybe? Love it.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Flagg wrote:
    Listening now. Too wrapped up in it to gather thought, but I will. Initial reactions:

That version of Let Me Share the Ride is um, interesting . . .

Remedy sounded refreshed to me.

Hotel Illness - best track so far.

Soul Singing - Love that song and it sounds great here, not much different though.

Cold Boy Smile sounds great. Nice to hear a studio version of a song that has only been heard live.

She Talks to Angels - the strings breathe new life into this one for sure. Probably haven't listened to this song in forever, but I love what they have done with it. The strings make it . . . sadder? Maybe? Love it.
    Cool! I've been super busy this morning and haven't had a chance to hit my local WalMart to see if they have it or not, but I'll being going during lunch for sure.
    A tad envious I am that you're already listening! Enjoy...hopefully it won't be long before I join you in doing so

• eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    My initial thoughts are that it does sound really good, but I am let down by the tracklist. Seems every studio and live compilation they have released all have the same songs (the known tracks from the first 4 records). Are they still trying to market their music to the majority of fans that haven't listened to the Crowes since like 96?
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
    eyedclaar wrote:
    My initial thoughts are that it does sound really good, but I am let down by the tracklist. Seems every studio and live compilation they have released all have the same songs (the known tracks from the first 4 records). Are they still trying to market their music to the majority of fans that haven't listened to the Crowes since like 96?

I thought about this too, but then thought Before the Frost/Until the Freeze was just released less than a year ago. And the majority of those songs are acoustic (or acoustic/electric mix) anyway. I think they would sound exactly the same.

But I don't understand not having a single track from Warpaint on there. I don't know about you guys but I put Warpaint (and BTF/UTF) up there with their best stuff. So yeah, I would have picked a slightly different tracklist.

If PJ were to do something like this, I bet we wouldn't get much, if anything, post-Yield.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    edited August 2010
    OK, here is my review! With a lot of goosebump moments and even a little tear in my eye while listening.

Jealous Again – pretty straightforward take. With Mona and Charity singing along it does sound better, but really it is pretty standard. I have gotten used to hearing Rich take the vocals on a few lines when they play this live, but that doesn’t happen here. Just a solid take on a great song.

Share the Ride – Probably the most drastically changed track and I am not sure I like it yet. A drum machine? Really? Clapping? I guess it is OK. This is like when Pearl Jam takes one of their old songs and completely rearranges it (Jeremy, In My Tree, Garden, etc.). It is just so jarring. There is also a banjo and slide guitar. Just a crazy track. Chris’s vocals are top-notch though. Really countrified.

Remedy – Refreshed is what I said before and I think that holds. Like Jealous Again, not much of a change from the original take. Solid. Not sure what that weird effect is that Luther is using though, in the verses. Voicebox maybe? Chris is strong here! I love the little ad libs. He has always been great like that. Makes it hard to sing along with him sometimes! Luther’s solo is electric.

Nonfiction – Already acoustic and “stripped down” on Amorica, the only difference here is there is the long jam at the end and even that is unchanged from the numerous live versions I have heard. This isn’t my favorite song of theirs so maybe I am being a little harsh on it. Does nothing for me. I think I would have left this off for a different choice. Sven is stout on this one though.

Hotel Illness – Still the best track on the record with My Morning Song a close second. It has been transformed into a stomping, hillbilly, jug band, hoe down and just leaps out of the speakers. A++ . Perfect way to take an older song and breathe new life into it. Love every second.

Soul Singing – Pretty standard. No long jam or anything in the middle. Just a straight-up rendition. Sounds like they added some maracas or something. This songs takes some crap from BC fans but I don’t know why. Nothing wrong with it. The chorus is so uplifting you can’t help but sing along. I mean, what is not to like?

Ballad in Urgency/Wiser Time – Ah yes, here we go. Sven’s bass playing dominates here. Really strong. He’s underappreciated anyway and better than Johnny Colt in my opinion. And Adam finally nails Wiser Time. Actually Adam sounds fantastic on this whole CD. Too bad they are going on hiatus. I think he was really starting to gel. These takes are pretty standard. If you have seen them live, there isn’t much difference here.

Cold Boy Smile – This is one of the songs written when Marc Ford rejoined the band in 2005. Sadly, that reunion only lasted a couple of years and we never got an album (they scrapped all their song ideas when Luther and Adam joined and came up with Warpaint). Anyway, cool song and nice to finally hear a studio version. Like the mandolin.

Under a Mountain – Pretty straightforward. Not much difference other than it is acoustic. I don’t like the reverb thing he’s got going on his voice though.

She Talks to Angels – Heard it a million times right? Well the strings are just the right touch to give it new life. I said “sadder” before and I think that’s true. This is a sad song if you really pay attention to the lyrics. There is reason it was a hit and that’s because it is a great song, no matter how many times you’ve heard it.

My Morning Song – OK, we’ve had awhile to digest this one. Traditionally they break into a long jam session during the breakdown of this song and they do that here too, with the jam being a gospel infused romp that lifts the song to new heights. The girls sound perfect, the clapping is snappy, and the solo is spot on.

Downtown Money Waster – Fun take on the Amorica song, complete with a little jamming. Another track with the drum machine. Or if it isn’t, it sure sounds like one. I guess it isn’t. Maybe just Steve’s tone, but it works. Nice job on the ragtime piano. Chris is rocking the harmonica. Someone’s got a fiddle going. And a banjo. Great time!! I love the lyrics to this. “Too many late nights, and you don’t get to heaven!”

Good Friday - Pretty straightforward. Not much difference other than it is acoustic.

Thorn in My Pride – The perfect song? I think Southern Harmony is a perfect rock record and this is a reason why. Beautifully done version here. And you know they have to jam out the middle section and so jam they do and it is what they do best. This time it is a toe-tapping little jig that gives a lot of room for Chris’s harmonica followed by turns from Luther and Rich. This is what I will miss most about the Black Crowes. These moments of “Fuck it, we are going to play this song for 20 minutes and build and build and see where it goes.”. This jam isn’t that long, but still perfectly executed. I have a feeling these three shows in Texas are going to be very bittersweet for me.

Welcome to the Good Times – I love the lyrics to this song. It sounds much better with the horn section usually, but they did a good job without them here. The fiddle and banjos are a nice touch and Chris’s vocals are strong here as well. It has been awhile since I have heard this one live so maybe this time.

Girl From a Pawnshop – I was curious about this one because it has always been one of Marc’s signature songs live. I am going to have to get used to the Spanish guitar they added to it. I find it distracting and not sure why they decided to layer that over the simple introduction. Hmmm …. But the chorus is nice. Rich using a 12-string on this song? Because it sounds rich and full and bright. Again with the fiddle. Not sure it works as well here. I think there is too much going on with this one. Too many additions in what should be a very simple song. And the fiddle plays Marc’s solo. Meh. Not cool. Although the Soul Sisters get to do their thing and that’s always a plus.

Sister Luck – Perfect. Perfectly executed. I saw them in a small club in Dallas called The Basement in 1990. And I remember the show being great, but I distinctly remember this song. I remember the absolute wall of sound coming from the stage during the last section of this song. I remember that being the moment I was going to be a fan for life. I had already seen them opening for Aerosmith and thinking they blew them off the stage, but it was at the Basement on that night they had me. This song has a great deal of meaning for me and I am glad they included it. God that was 20 years ago.

She – Master of like 5000 covers and they pick this one. Its OK. But it should have been Oh Sweet Nuthin’ or Sing Me Back Home or something. But this is the one on there so. It is OK. Like the other tracks, there is a fiddle and a honky tonk vibe to it.

Bad Luck Blue Eyes Goodbye – OK, I don’t like the tone of finality of this song. Ha ha. I think this hiatus is temporary, maybe, but after hearing this track . . .Yikes. Sounds like good-bye to me. Nice to hear the venom in the “So you think you’ve seen it all and that’s a fact” part. I think that has been missing in recent renditions. This is a bitter song so that bitterness should be reflected in the vocal deliverance. It is here. As in “Hey baby, you had your fucking chance now I’ve had enough so bye bye! See ya!”. But the final “good-bye” delivered with a much softer tone seems more like it is directed at the listener. I hope I am wrong.

I haven’t heard Boomer’s Story or Willin’ yet because I have the iTunes version at home. But I like both of those songs so I am sure they are fine.

Overall, the record sounds amazing. If you are happy with the country/bluegrass route they have taken lately (I am) then you will dig the hell out of this. If you haven’t heard them since the early days, it will be a nice refresher on songs you remember from back when. Either way, it does its job.

I think I would have chosen a slightly different track list. Maybe dumping Nonfiction for Oh Josephine. Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution should have made an appearance and they have a vast well of covers to pull from, rather than She. Feathers would have been an excellent choice on this disc too. An acoustic Twice as Hard would have been fun to hear too. But you can’t get them all.

This band is on top of their game. Warpaint was great, but Before the Frost/Until the Freeze was a brilliant masterpiece. This new incarnation of the band is clearly clicking and it really shows on Croweology. That’s good, but also a shame. I was looking forward to what was to be next. Adam is playing with confidence he didn’t show at first and Luther fits like a glove. If they come back it needs to be this version. I love Marc to death, but that ship has sailed twice and who knows even where Ed is.

I mentioned above that the upcoming shows will be bittersweet and I feel that way even more now after having heard this record. I just don’t know of another band I will love this much. They regularly take the top spot from PJ (it goes back and forth). I wish I would have traveled more to see them. But they did it their way and they leave us with an enormous body of work and I will enjoy the studio records, covers, live stuff and bootlegs forever.
    Post edited by Flagg on
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,024
    Nice review Flagg

The Black Crowes may be one of the most underrated and purposely overlooked rock bands of all time. It seems to me frustration with the state of the music business is more the reason of this hiatus..maybe even their frustrations of being underappreciated. Maybe their going away now will make us realize how much the music scene misses and needs them...and we do need them.

As far as the Croweology goes...It's a semi acoustic record in the spirit of MTV's unplugged...but far superior. I hear every change in each song as subtle as some are. It really is a nod to the old fans but is careful in not isolating new or causal fans. Oh and it sounds incredible.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Can't wait for the vinyl to drop. Went to the record store expecting it and it's not out til 8/31.
    Still waiting on my Tshirt bundle from TBC.com.

Can't wait to listen. I have a sneaking suspicion that my girlfriend has the vinyl on it's way for my birthday. :D
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    bobasfeet wrote:

The Black Crowes may be one of the most underrated and purposely overlooked rock bands of all time.

Amen, brother.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    dcfaithful wrote:
    bobasfeet wrote:

The Black Crowes may be one of the most underrated and purposely overlooked rock bands of all time.

Amen, brother.

no doubt about it.

also....thanks for the review, Flagg!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • I plan to get the vinyl, but I saw the CD at Best Buy today for $7.99 and thought that was too ridiculous to pass up. EVERYBODY should buy it at that price!
    Thought I'd just say again:

God DAMN! I love The Black Crowes! :D
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,963
    sorry i'm late to this and for any repeated comments here, but caught the pbs performance last night and thoroughly enjoyed them. kind of got away from them after 3 snakes, but i'm so glad with pj on a break that i can catch up on the crowes. saw them open for aerosmith in '89...still one of the greatest combo shows i've ever seen. crowes were promoting 'shake your $ maker' and aerosmith had 'pump'...great blues show!!!
    I love to turn you on
  • joely_91joely_91 Posts: 795
    watching the 20 years of tall tales....chris has a sweet record collection on that wall behind him 8-)
    Came home to see mine on the kitchen counter, with the shirt, and sticker...opened it up, found another sticker....a very cool packaging set up. I had a lot of fun finding all the signs of their albums in the artwork.

So far, I think my favorite re-working is "Thorn In My Pride". I mean originally it kicks a ton of ass, but this version being stripped down is awesome and the sounds quality is excellent.

I swear everytime I hear new recordings of Chris's voice, it just gets better and better...
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • En La ClandestinidadEn La Clandestinidad Telford, PA by way of Kansas City, MO and Milwaukee, WI, Phoenix, AZ and East Greenbush, NY Posts: 3,622
    I plan to get the vinyl, but I saw the CD at Best Buy today for $7.99 and thought that was too ridiculous to pass up. EVERYBODY should buy it at that price!

That's why I picked it up as well. I have heard good things about them and bought it based on that.

Haven't even gotten to the 2nd disc and already really like it. I picked up Before the Frost today, too.
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.