Counting Crows

2»

Comments

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    Along with PJ and Alice in Chains, the Crows were in my holy trinity of favorite bands growing up.

Today, they suck ass.

Why?

cuz Adam Duritz has fake dreads :x
    and there are like 8 band members...and the only original member left is fake dreads
    and because Adam Duritz feels the need to change the way he sings songs live, which in turn makes them suck ass.
    I used to like them too...i know...its sad.
    Actually, of the seven members that are in the band now 3 are originals (Adam, Charlie and David Bryson), Dan has been with them since just after "August And Everything After" out and, although he didn't officially join until 1999, David Immerglück has played with them since the beginning (including playing on "August And Everything After"). Sorry to be picky but...

Like I've said before, I like the way that Adam changes the way that he sings the songs live. I'd rather that than he forgets the words to his own songs like a certain other singer that we all love so much...
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,833
    goldrush wrote:
    Like I've said before, I like the way that Adam changes the way that he sings the songs live. I'd rather that than he forgets the words to his own songs like a certain other singer that we all love so much...

What and Adam doesn't ever forget words to his songs? Sorry but that seems like a really odd statement you're making there - a rambling tuneless vocal performance can ruin a song, far more so than someone forgetting the odd word here or there. I don't want to sound harsh so please forgive me, but it sounds a little bit fanboy-ish, like you'll accept any old shit just because it's 'unique'. Sure some improvisations can work, but some aren't going to work so well. A lot of the time it just sounds indulgent, like he's forgotten who he's there to sing for.
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    goldrush wrote:

What and Adam doesn't ever forget words to his songs? Sorry but that seems like a really odd statement you're making there - a rambling tuneless vocal performance can ruin a song, far more so than someone forgetting the odd word here or there. I don't want to sound harsh so please forgive me, but it sounds a little bit fanboy-ish, like you'll accept any old shit just because it's 'unique'. Sure some improvisations can work, but some aren't going to work so well. A lot of the time it just sounds indulgent, like he's forgotten who he's there to sing for.
    We've all seen singers butcher the National Anthem trying to be 'unique' or in the name of spicing it up or showing off....from what I've heard of the Crows live....Adam pretty much slaughters every song at some point or another and it is bad....very bad.
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Mr. America, real men listen to the Black Crowes, not the Counting Crows. You'll thank me on your wedding night. Carry on. This has been a public service announcement.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Mr. America, real men listen to the Black Crowes, not the Counting Crows. You'll thank me on your wedding night. Carry on. This has been a public service announcement.
    :clap::D:D :thumbup:
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    eyedclaar wrote:
    my feminine side likes the CCs; my masculine likes the BCs. :shifty:

i know, i know....eyed and the most interesting man in the world don't have feminine sides :?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    eyedclaar wrote:

The Black Crowes fucking own...
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    goldrush wrote:

I didn't say that Counting Crows were perfect, or that I'd "accept any old shit", but I have never been disappointed at a Counting Crows show and I enjoy the way that Adam Duritz sings live. As I said in my first post, it's just one of those things that you either love or hate. The OP and others here clearly hate it but that's their opinion. If that makes me sound "fanboy-ish" then I apologise for having a different opinion to you. Peace.

(Tim Rogers)
    dcfaithful wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

The Black Crowes fucking own...
    ...yes sir, they certainly do! :D

(Tim Rogers)
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,833
    goldrush wrote:
    If that makes me sound "fanboy-ish" then I apologise for having a different opinion to you. Peace.

No the differing opinion isn't what makes it sound fanboy-ish, it's that you're ignoring the fact that sometimes the improv is going to be good - even better than the album version, and sometimes it will be worse. What it seems like you're saying, is that you don't care what it sounds like as long as it's different to the original, and sounds 'unique' to that show.
  • Whatever happened to this band? I know they toured a lot from 2002-2004, and toured a bit intermittently since, but something's gotta happen soon.
    My Pearl Jam shows: 1 in 1995, 2 in 1998, 20 in 2003, 13 in 2006, 3 in 2007, 8 in 2008, 5 in 2009, 4 in 2010, 5 in 2012. EV: 8 in 2011, 1 in 2012. Brad: 1 in 1998, 1 in 2002.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIUAWqLFU9o

Great band. Sure there recent stuff isnt the strongest, but give them their credit. Duritz has talent.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    2 good songs on the last album: Le Ballet D'Or and Los Angeles.

Amazing rare song: August & Everything After. Simply incredible. Hard to believe it was left off the album.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Amazing rare song: August & Everything After. Simply incredible. Hard to believe it was left off the album.
    This be true, guv'nor!
    My Pearl Jam shows: 1 in 1995, 2 in 1998, 20 in 2003, 13 in 2006, 3 in 2007, 8 in 2008, 5 in 2009, 4 in 2010, 5 in 2012. EV: 8 in 2011, 1 in 2012. Brad: 1 in 1998, 1 in 2002.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    The Counting Crows are the Van Morrison of Gen X. But with a better band.
  • Adam Duritz has decided to let everyone know he is still alive by making a solo album.
    It's just him and a piano, doing one song in his house per night for the week of Valentine's Day.
    It's mainly rought demos of cover versions, and just a bit of fun.
    Some fan has made an album cover for it.
    The 'album' is called: "All My Bloody Valentines", and can be downloaded from the Counting Crows Facebook page.
    Tracklist:
    Don't Think Twice It's Alright (version 1)
    Don't Think Twice It's Alright (version 2)
    My Sweet Carolina
    Rainbow Sleeves
    You Might Think
    Valentine's Day (version 1)
    Valentine's Day (version 2)
    On the Sunny Side of the Street
    The Dark End of the Street
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    Adam Duritz has decided to let everyone know he is still alive by making a solo album.
    It's just him and a piano, doing one song in his house per night for the week of Valentine's Day.
    It's mainly rought demos of cover versions, and just a bit of fun.
    Some fan has made an album cover for it.
    The 'album' is called: "All My Bloody Valentines", and can be downloaded from the Counting Crows Facebook page.
    Tracklist:
    Don't Think Twice It's Alright (version 1)
    Don't Think Twice It's Alright (version 2)
    My Sweet Carolina
    Rainbow Sleeves
    You Might Think
    Valentine's Day (version 1)
    Valentine's Day (version 2)
    On the Sunny Side of the Street
    The Dark End of the Street

Awesome. Thanks for posting this.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • Here's the original songwriting credits to the songs on "All My Bloody Valentines".

Don't Think Twice It's Alright (version 1) :Bob Dylan
    Don't Think Twice It's Alright (version 2) :Bob Dylan
    My Sweet Carolina :Ryan Adams
    Rainbow Sleeves :Rickie Lee Jones
    You Might Think :The Cars
    Valentine's Day (version 1) :Steve Earle
    Valentine's Day (version 2) :Steve Earle
    On the Sunny Side of the Street :Jimmy McHugh/Dorothy Fields (a Jazz standard)
    The Dark End of the Street :Dan Penn/Chips Morgan (covered by everybody in the world, according to Wikipedia)
  • iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    Counting Crows was the first band I ever got into; I think August is a fantastic album.
    As for them live, I saw them once, and was intrigued that he mashed so many songs together, borrowing lyrics from other songs and switching up the melodies. I don't know if I've ever seen an artist do that before.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • iamica wrote:
    Counting Crows was the first band I ever got into; I think August is a fantastic album.
    As for them live, I saw them once, and was intrigued that he mashed so many songs together, borrowing lyrics from other songs and switching up the melodies. I don't know if I've ever seen an artist do that before.
    I've seen them 25 or so times live. What you've described above is why people either hate them or love them as a live act.

One of the 10 minute or so versions of Round Here they were doing in 2003 had all of Van Morrison's Sweet Thing in it. T'was jaw-droppingly good.
    One less thing for the haters to hate... the dreads are finally gone.

(Tim Rogers)
  • I love pretty much every album and the truth in my eyes is that they suck live :(

• JT167846JT167846 Posts: 780
    Have seen them three times and really enjoyed myself each time. Just got lucky I guess. Deftones are like that too apparently though I'm 3 from 3 for them as well regarding great performances. What Counting Crows do is vary the sets like Pearl Jam and that's great. Have seen a heap of different songs and always appreciate that.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
    New single, 'Elevator Boots'.