The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    It's baseball season. Hell yeah!
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

bring the warm weather
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    A pretty fucking fantastic interview of Cashman by NoMass.

http://nomaas.org/2010/02/the-mother-of ... n-cashman/
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    We're goin' for the repeat!
    tcaporale wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    We're goin' for the repeat!

Who do you guys think is going to be the #5 starter?
    tcaporale wrote:

Good question. I would say hopefully Joba since he wont have an innings limit and that means he is where he is supposed to be development wise. Hughes would have a limit and I dont think I can handle that again but at the same time, if Hughes is in the pen again this year, that means he wont get enough innings to be a full blown starter next year.
    I kinda wish that they would have picked up a #5 guy this offseason, putting Joba and Hughes in the pen.

I mean, Joba in the seventh, Hughes in the eighth, and Rivera in the ninth is a killer combo.
    tcaporale wrote:
    I kinda wish that they would have picked up a #5 guy this offseason, putting Joba and Hughes in the pen.

I mean, Joba in the seventh, Hughes in the eighth, and Rivera in the ninth is a killer combo.

Yeah, that would be unreal but I definitely want them both to be starters long term and this is the only way to do it.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    Pitchers and Catchers report today :)

I like Hughes more, but you all make a great point i'm tired of the innings limit thing. I understand it but it would suck to go through it again.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    tcaporale wrote:

gaudin mitre ..we can work with that

they're not gonna but those guys were big last year
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    intodeep wrote:
    Pitchers and Catchers report today :)

I like Hughes more, but you all make a great point i'm tired of the innings limit thing. I understand it but it would suck to go through it again.

I think Hughes is going to be better long term as well. He has great stuff. I think they are both going to be very good but I like Hughes stuff more. When Joba is on though, he can be unhittable.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    tcaporale wrote:

Good question. I would say hopefully Joba since he wont have an innings limit and that means he is where he is supposed to be development wise.

Development wise, they have killed this kid so far. I don't think he's developed one ounce in the past three years with the role shuffling they've put him through.

His K's are decreasing while his walks are increasing, and now, he plays in a homer friendly park.

Makes this Sox fan almost feel bad for him .... almost.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    tcaporale wrote:

Good question. I would say hopefully Joba since he wont have an innings limit and that means he is where he is supposed to be development wise.

Development wise, they have killed this kid so far. I don't think he's developed one ounce in the past three years with the role shuffling they've put him through.

His K's are decreasing while his walks are increasing, and now, he plays in a homer friendly park.

come kiss our rings
    jimed14 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    tcaporale wrote:

I agree that ths shifting him back and forth has really hurt him, big time. At times last year he was lights out though and from everything he has said he has worked his ass off this offseason.

He had a lot of problems last year but I think he will be much much better this year. Dude still has less than 300 innings on his arm so I think it will be a big year for him.
    We'll see ... you are right, he is only 24 ... he should still have a bright future.

But, for someone that scared the bejesus out of me when he was first taking the mound, his supporting numbers last year were very pedestrian.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:
    We'll see ... you are right, he is only 24 ... he should still have a bright future.

But, for someone that scared the bejesus out of me when he was first taking the mound, his supporting numbers last year were very pedestrian.

Very young.

He lost a lot last year but I dont see a reason he cant get that back. Hopefully a new attitude this year as well.
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    Should be an interesting Spring Training for sure! There are plenty of battles to be won. There is a great battle for the 5th spot in the rotation, a battle for the backup catcher, and the dilemma of the outfield.

What do you guys thing Cervelli's chances of being the backup catcher for 2010 are? I liked what I saw last year from that kid, great hustle and a good defensive catcher, just needs to work on the bat. And then they have the complete opposite with Montero, great bat, but needs work behind the plate. I'm hoping the backup position is between these two and they don't bring in a veteran backup.

For the Yankee fans in South Central PA like myself, MLB has screwed us over this year with no early season weekend games in Baltimore. The only weekend game is in September, which sucks since I usually take my nephew to a game down in Camden for his birthday.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
    Should be an interesting Spring Training for sure! There are plenty of battles to be won. There is a great battle for the 5th spot in the rotation, a battle for the backup catcher, and the dilemma of the outfield.

What do you guys thing Cervelli's chances of being the backup catcher for 2010 are? I liked what I saw last year from that kid, great hustle and a good defensive catcher, just needs to work on the bat. And then they have the complete opposite with Montero, great bat, but needs work behind the plate. I'm hoping the backup position is between these two and they don't bring in a veteran backup.

For the Yankee fans in South Central PA like myself, MLB has screwed us over this year with no early season weekend games in Baltimore. The only weekend game is in September, which sucks since I usually take my nephew to a game down in Camden for his birthday.

Yeah man, should be a good spring training.

Cashman said to MoMass yesterday he does not see Montero in the Bronx this year. Talked about how he has one of the best arms in the minors but he needs to shorten it up because of his size. Also said he has been incresible at blocking balls in the dirt. I think Cervelli is definitely the back up this year. Should be fun, I like him.

I have been meaning to get to a Yanks game in B'more. Gotta make it happen this year.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Cashman said to MoMass yesterday he does not see Montero in the Bronx this year. Talked about how he has one of the best arms in the minors but he needs to shorten it up because of his size. Also said he has been incresible at blocking balls in the dirt. I think Cervelli is definitely the back up this year. Should be fun, I like him.

I have been meaning to get to a Yanks game in B'more. Gotta make it happen this year.

I haven't been keeping up on my reading lately, need to get into training as well I guess! Thanks for the heads up! I guess I'll have to get to a AAA Yanks game and check out Montero.

Any word on Brackman or McAllister? I recall those guys being drafted with very high hopes. The Yankees could have a very formidable young rotation down the road. That is if they keep fighting the temptation to trade them!!

As for Camden Yards, nice park and great area surrounding it. You have to really be lost to find areas like they showed on The Wire. ;)
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I haven't been keeping up on my reading lately, need to get into training as well I guess! Thanks for the heads up! I guess I'll have to get to a AAA Yanks game and check out Montero.

Any word on Brackman or McAllister? I recall those guys being drafted with very high hopes. The Yankees could have a very formidable young rotation down the road. That is if they keep fighting the temptation to trade them!!

As for Camden Yards, nice park and great area surrounding it. You have to really be lost to find areas like they showed on The Wire. ;)

Yeah man, I would like to get up to Scranton to see Montero this year as well.

McAllister and Brackmman are pretty interesting. Brackman was pretty bad last year and a lot of people have soured on him. I am far from ready to do that yet, I still think he will be good. He was coming back from Tommy John and is young, way too early to give up on him. Most scouts are a lot higher on McAllister after his stellar year in Trenton last year. I think both have a lot of potential.

Read an article recently that a rival executive thinks the yanks are doing it right stocking up on catchers. They said they think it is going to beome a faster game and good catchers will be much more valuable in the coming years.

I have been to Camden a few times but not in a few years. Also used to go to the Lacrosse final four there every year when it was at M&T
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,144
    Warner Bros Finally Going Ahead With Shocking Film About Yankees Sex Scandal

Ben Affleck is attached to the project. A red sox fan.

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/warner-bros-finally-going-ahead-with-shocking-film-about-yankees-sex-scandal/
    I miss igotid88
    Good article on Brackman

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/19/sport ... nkees.html

River Ave Blues also has a good post on him this morning. Check it out.

http://riveraveblues.com/2010/02/brackm ... him-24094/
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Good article on Brackman

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/19/sport ... nkees.html

River Ave Blues also has a good post on him this morning. Check it out.

http://riveraveblues.com/2010/02/brackm ... him-24094/

Hopefully things workout for this kid. Thanks for the links!
    Pretty awesome to hear how excited Vasquez is to be pitching with Pettitte.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Not sure where it went but, I had voiced thoughts on Vazquez.

I'm a huge supporter of his, and have always felt his underlying skills have hinted at better production than his final stats indicated. Always a target in my roto leagues (and it finally paid off handsomly last year).

That said ... back in the AL and in a homer friendy park, he better keep his ground ball rate up, or it could be the White Sox 4.6+ ERA years all over again.

jimed14 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I'm a huge supporter of his, and have always felt his underlying skills have hinted at better production than his final stats indicated. Always a target in my roto leagues (and it finally paid off handsomly last year).

That said ... back in the AL and in a homer friendy park, he better keep his ground ball rate up, or it could be the White Sox 4.6+ ERA years all over again.

I do remember you saying that. What do the Yankees need to get out of Vasquez though? We are looking at a back of the rotation guy. Last year they won the division in a run away with 3 solid pitchers and spot starters at the end of the year. If he pitches to a 4.2 ERA or so with that lineup he will be just fine, I expect him to be in the 3's but even if he is not, they Yanks will get all they need out of him.
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I do remember you saying that. What do the Yankees need to get out of Vasquez though? We are looking at a back of the rotation guy. Last year they won the division in a run away with 3 solid pitchers and spot starters at the end of the year. If he pitches to a 4.2 ERA or so with that lineup he will be just fine, I expect him to be in the 3's but even if he is not, they Yanks will get all they need out of him.

They need him for depth purposes. As well as those three pitched last year during the postseason, I'm sure the ideal situation for the Yankees is not to have a run to the World Series championship with three guys making all the starts.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    Again, I'm a big fan of his, he's a fantastic #3 guy to have.

The best thing about him is, he's a horse ... 11 of the last 12 years, 30+ starts.

jimed14 wrote:
    Again, I'm a big fan of his, he's a fantastic #3 guy to have.

The best thing about him is, he's a horse ... 11 of the last 12 years, 30+ starts.

I hear you it, it will be awesome to have another 200 inning guy in the rotation.