Options

High school reunions

2»

Comments

• Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I graduated from HS so long ago, I do not believe that some of you were born then, 1978!

I went to many (way too many) schools through out my life and we moved to a new area when HS began (10th grade, not 9th). I did not know many people and in 12th grade, I had 1 class then went to work for 4 hours at 12:30...also in 10th and 11 grades, I seemed to like/know students that were 1 year older.

so i joined classmates.com a few years ago, and i noticed how often my class seemed to have reunions with classmates.com being the way we found out. I deleted my classmates account and an old friend (found via Facebook) told me that our class has a reunion annually. isn't that unusual? a guy keeps having it at a place where he works. maybe I will finally go with my newly found OLD woman friend ;) I'm so glad I found her.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    iluvcats wrote:
    I graduated from HS so long ago, I do not believe that some of you were born then, 1978!

I went to many (way too many) schools through out my life and we moved to a new area when HS began (10th grade, not 9th). I did not know many people and in 12th grade, I had 1 class then went to work for 4 hours at 12:30...also in 10th and 11 grades, I seemed to like/know students that were 1 year older.

so i joined classmates.com a few years ago, and i noticed how often my class seemed to have reunions with classmates.com being the way we found out. I deleted my classmates account and an old friend (found via Facebook) told me that our class has a reunion annually. isn't that unusual? a guy keeps having it at a place where he works. maybe I will finally go with my newly found OLD woman friend ;) I'm so glad I found her.
    Yea our last was informal at a classmates bar. I graduated in 74 and we have them every 5 years.
    You and your friend will have a blast enjoy! And you won't feel old either cause everybody is!
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:

Yea our last was informal at a classmates bar. I graduated in 74 and we have them every 5 years.
    You and your friend will have a blast enjoy! And you won't feel old either cause everybody is!

well, I have not seen my old friend yet. first she canceled our lunch plans and then i had to cancel.
    i think the reunion is every october.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    oh long time til Oct plenty of time to get reacquainted then
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,750
    I'll have a 10 year reunion coming up next year. I'll probably go even though every weekend is pretty much a high school reunion as pretty much all of my close friends are people I went to high school with.
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    I went to my first one about 10 years ago at 32 (it was a special year 2000 thingy), it was really odd, I didn't really like it. For some strange reason I seemed to go back in time and rediscover all the insecurities that I'd had at 18. Some people it was ok to see, some I was really not bothered about seeing again. The best bit was that I went with a friend that I'd met at school, she was a boy when we were there, some man came over to her near the end of the night and said 'I've been trying to pluck up the courage to speak to you all night', neither of us had a clue who he was and he didn't introduce himself, so she just said 'Ok' and we left.
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    pandora wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:

My grandmother and great-grandmother went to a small rural school where they have reunions ever year for those who have been graduated for 40 years or more. Guess they figure they start dwindling off so they have to lump them all in together at that point. My grandmother would go to reunions with her mom! (Also, I think maybe the nostalgia is a little greater at that age.)
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    Claireack wrote:
    I went to my first one about 10 years ago at 32 (it was a special year 2000 thingy), it was really odd, I didn't really like it. For some strange reason I seemed to go back in time and rediscover all the insecurities that I'd had at 18. Some people it was ok to see, some I was really not bothered about seeing again. The best bit was that I went with a friend that I'd met at school, she was a boy when we were there, some man came over to her near the end of the night and said 'I've been trying to pluck up the courage to speak to you all night', neither of us had a clue who he was and he didn't introduce himself, so she just said 'Ok' and we left.

Wait - so your friend was transgendered??
  • Options
    A couple of years ago, I saw in the newspaper that my 10 year reunion was being planned...I assume they had it. I didn't go but I will say that I considered it, mostly out of curiousity.

I didn't particularly care for the majority of the people but I didn't really have a horrible high school experience either, I just didn't care for it.

I'm only still friends with 1 person and there are a few people I lost touch with that I might enjoy seeing

Maybe I'll go to the next one
  • Options
    OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    I think I would go to punch a couple of guys in the face and let some of the women that turned me down then see me now. BUT.....thats all in the past, I keep in touch with the good people from the time, thats it.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    scb wrote:
    Claireack wrote:

Wait - so your friend was transgendered??

Transexual, was basically living in the wrong body. It's all sorted now and she is so much happier.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    You're in high school again....
    You're in high school AGAIIIIIN!!!!
    NO RECESS! NO RECEEEEEESS! NOOOOOO RECESS!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    never been...nor has my husband.
    also kinda how i feel about facebook. if i wanted to keep in touch with you, well, you'd still be in my life. so yea, no interest here but i do know a few people who LOVE em! so whatever blows your hair back.

My thought *Exactly*...
  • Options
    i_lov_it wrote:
    never been...nor has my husband.
    also kinda how i feel about facebook. if i wanted to keep in touch with you, well, you'd still be in my life. so yea, no interest here but i do know a few people who LOVE em! so whatever blows your hair back.

My thought *Exactly*...
    Its really not about keeping in touch necessarily- its one night of fun. I too have a couple people that I consider as friends from 35 years ago+- cards emails once a year get to see each other. Reunions are fun cause its just that a reunion. That want to punch someone out etc- you know after years of going you learn most of those people aren't so bad- forgive and those that are still jags you see life/karma kind of got em in the end which is fun to watch :mrgreen:. This last reunion a friend who talked a bunch of girls into ditching me from walking to school together at the tender age of 13 came up and apologized. After 35 years this was her first reunion. I gave her a little one back not what she deserved and we talked about where life took us.
    As far as I'm concerned I'm always up for a party- a party full of people you once knew and those you can get to know- its all fun.
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,087
    I have no problem with them. We had one that was six months after we graduated and now we have a virtual reunion on facebook. I started a group for my class, so I guess that means I'm expected to do planning. Since many people have kids in my class, I suggested a summertime BBQ in a park but nobody responded to it.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I have no interest in my HS. Since the day I walked out, I've never been back. Really no interest in catching up and probably would't recognize anyone anyways. The couple people that I would be interest in catching up with would not be there as well and I have no clue where they have gone off to. I grew up in a small town, so when we graduated everyone went away to school or moved away for work, it was also a time of no internet or cells phones (1985), so real easy to lose contact. I think the kids that graduate in the last 10-12 years might likely stay in contact because of cell phone phones and email (could be wrong), maybe younger people could let us know if they stay in contact after they graduate because of the increased use of technology. If I really wanted to stay in contact with certain people I guess I would have. I will admit to a couple a people that would be interesting to know what they've been up to.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I have no interest in my HS. Since the day I walked out, I've never been back. Really no interest in catching up and probably would't recognize anyone anyways. The couple people that I would be interest in catching up with would not be there as well and I have no clue where they have gone off to. I grew up in a small town, so when we graduated everyone went away to school or moved away for work, it was also a time of no internet or cells phones (1985), so real easy to lose contact. I think the kids that graduate in the last 10-12 years might likely stay in contact because of cell phone phones and email (could be wrong), maybe younger people could let us know if they stay in contact after they graduate because of the increased use of technology. If I really wanted to stay in contact with certain people I guess I would have. I will admit to a couple a people that would be interesting to know what they've been up to.

sometimes with small towns you can find out by running into people at the store during holidays if you go back to visit or via their family (hasn't happened to me, but it has for my husband.)
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    pandora wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Either that or I can go rent a really awesome suit with a top hat and monicle and act like I'm the next Warren Buffet.
    Or Mr. Peanut...
    5398.jpg
    :lol: clever 8-)

...and convincing. I'm going to my five year as Mr. Peanut.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    High School reunions are good for seeing girls that you fucked and ones that you should have. Kind of like a walking trophy case and wishlist.

A good portion of the reason I don't want to attend. :oops:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    I have about 5 people from school I see regularly, but there are more that I was close with and we just went our seperate ways thru the years. I have met up with a few here and there and it felt like there was no time between our seeing each other, yet in all of the cases we didn't start hanging out again. Just the 5 I usually do.
    Weird, eh?
    Save room for dessert!