High school reunions

Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
edited February 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I've been thinking about high school reunions lately because we are coming up on 15 years and there has been some talk thrown around about having one. My thing is...I just don't care to go.

My closest friend from high school called me a couple of weeks ago and said it was all over Facebook and how the geniuses who are trying to get it arranged want to have it Memorial Day weekend. My answer was that I sure as hell wasn't going to spend a holiday weekend hanging out with a bunch of people I never liked much in the first place.

My dad happened to overhear that conversation and said that when you think about it most people are lucky to have 5 people from high school they consider true friends and the type of persron you really cared to hang out with....I immediately rattled off five and could name no more. I remain in contact with each of the five I named, so why should I care to go hang out with the rest of them. Reunions just seem like a breeding ground for a pissing contest to me...

So...how does everyone feel about reuniting with their classmates? How did it go for those of you who have attended reunions?

I won't go to mine no way, but I figured this could be an interesting topic
All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I agree with you. Anyone that I want to keep in touch with I do...which is only a few. Although I would like to see some of the under dogs and hope they landed on top.
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,733
    I will never go to one.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    there is not a chance in hell, that i will ever go to one of my reunions.. never gonna happen.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I went to my first high school reunion, we have one every (10) yrs, and it was sooo fake, the amount of boob jobs, and plastic surgury was unbelievable!! I skipped my second reunion because my close friends I see all the time, we talk and get together all the time with our families. The rest of them I do not care to know. You do not need a reunion to keep in touch with close friends. I hope this helps, if you do go just have fun!!
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    i prefer to remember the hot girls as the hot girls they were, not the uhh old models.

seriously - i agree wholeheartedly - no interest in seeing 99.9% of the people I went to school with. Still friends with a few- that's all i need. i was kind of just there in high school, nothing special, so i've never had the warm and fuzzy feelings to see those people again. some fond memories but not the greatest time of my life that's for sure.
  • I have my 10th HS reunion this year and couldnt agree more with the OP. I have 4 close friends from high school that are still and will always be my best friends. I don't do facebook and really don't care a hell of a lot what other people are doing. I hear because my buddies have facebook, but if I want to find out how x person is doing after all these years, Im gonna pick up the phone. I also went to all-boys Catholic school, so it's not like I even have the chance at the whole "Oh man, I remember her. She was so ugly and now look how hot she is" factor. High school reunions Ive heard (in regular co-ed schools) can sometimes turn into and episode of Maury.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • oh there's no way I am going...not a chance.
    i wonder if its different for people from large schools than from small ones? My class had around 70 people in it so we all knew each other fairly well but my friend was recently home for a visit and she happened to have our senior yearbook out from some reason. I was pretty amazed when there were several people in my class who I have absolutely no recollection of whatsoever......perhaps the alcohol has wiped out a few folks :D

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    I'd go to a 15 year if they had one. We didn't have a 10 year. I think I'd go out of simple curiousity. I didn't hate anyone and especially like anyone. I've lost contact with everyone from high school. I don't get making a weekend out of it...screw that. if i lived farther than i do I wouldn't go but i think it would be interesting.
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    it was funny---when my 10 year reunion happened, i had a gig that night literally right down the road from where the reunion was taking place in Houston. i wasn't going to go anyway, so i didn't really think it was a big deal at all. then about halfway though my set, some familiar faces started walking in. i was happy to see a couple of them, but most of them were bigger assholes than they were in high school. they all wanted to go out afterwards, but i'd had my fill. it was a little strange to look out into the crowd & see them, though.

it's true what everyone's said...you keep in touch with those that you want to.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • never been...nor has my husband.
    also kinda how i feel about facebook. if i wanted to keep in touch with you, well, you'd still be in my life. so yea, no interest here but i do know a few people who LOVE em! so whatever blows your hair back.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    i guess i'll be the one who isn't bitter about my high school days ;):D

i went to a small school and my class was fairly tight knit...and i keep in touch with many people from high school but i'm always interested to see what the people i only see at the reunions are up to...i guess i just don't take it as seriously as some do...it's a couple hours out of my life, it ain't a big deal ;)

and at the 20th a couple years back, some of the girls looked as good, if not better, than they did in high school :thumbup:
  • norm wrote:

i went to a small school and my class was fairly tight knit...and i keep in touch with many people from high school but i'm always interested to see what the people i only see at the reunions are up to...i guess i just don't take it as seriously as some do...it's a couple hours out of my life, it ain't a big deal ;)

and at the 20th a couple years back, some of the girls looked as good, if not better, than they did in high school :thumbup:

hahaha...no bitterness. just no interest.
    i went to an all-girls catholic HS. so yea. :lol:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

norm wrote:

yeah all girls (or boys) school might be a bit much

i just find it fun every 10 years to catch up and retell old 'war stories' from high school...we had a lot of fun!! :mrgreen:
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    mfc2006 wrote:
    it was funny---when my 10 year reunion happened, i had a gig that night literally right down the road from where the reunion was taking place in Houston. i wasn't going to go anyway, so i didn't really think it was a big deal at all. then about halfway though my set, some familiar faces started walking in. i was happy to see a couple of them, but most of them were bigger assholes than they were in high school. they all wanted to go out afterwards, but i'd had my fill. it was a little strange to look out into the crowd & see them, though.

it's true what everyone's said...you keep in touch with those that you want to.

OMG ! you lived what could maybe be one of my worst nightmares !!! a fucking gig with those people in the crowd ?!?!?
    I'd bet anything I would be asked my management to never come back to the bar/club by the end of the night.

I now have even more respect for you my friend !! wow ! fuck that , a whole bunch !!
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I met(remet) my husband at our 5 year. We go to all of them with the 35th being this last fall. Leaving that night after a great time my Hubby says" Look how popular you are now- I couldn't get near you" which is ironic cause I was definitely not in high school. Thats sort of the moral- people are very different then when they were in school.We starting see this by the 10-15 year. The whole "persona" thing is gone. People share interests and a common age group. We share growing up in the same neighborhoods and some of us have children in the same age group. And big factor we are all getting old together and lately we share the sadness of those that have passed. So if you are thinking of going get the big picture of a lifetime shared.
    I highly recommend going and having fun with an open mind. You'll be surprised people aren't who you thought they were. They actually become your friends.
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    I have mixed feelings about it. When my 10 year reunion came up, I didn't want to go. I didn't really enjoy high school or most of the people there and didn't care to see them again. Plus, as many have said, I figured I was still in touch with anyone I wanted to stay in touch with. But my friends convinced me to go. I went mostly because I didn't want to wonder if I had missed out on anything. I actually had a good time. Turns out there were some people who I was really happy to see, even though I hadn't kept up with them. Plus, there was a bar and a DJ who played all the old high school music I missed.

Since then a 15 year reunion came up for the high school I went to before I moved to this town. I went and had a fantastic time! It was great to see old friends. (I hadn't kept up with most of the people from there.) I rekindled friendships with people I'd lost touch with. It was great to be back in the neighborhood I hadn't seen for so long. I ate at the places I used to hang out. I went to visit my ex-boyfriend's mom. I found out what had happened - for better or worse - with so many people who helped shape my life back then. I even made new friends. It was bittersweet, but I'm so glad I went!
  • norm wrote:

No bitterness here either....I never had any major issues with anyone in my class and maybe it wouldn't be so bad to hang out with some of the folks I haven't seen or heard from in years, but I just don't care. Have no interest in it. My life is full with new friends and those valued old friends, so what Sally Sue and Jim Bob are up to is really of no concern to me.

Like someone else, it's whatever blows your hair back, but it's just not for me. I do run into classmates who I don't keep in touch with on a fairly regular basis and we speak, but that, in a way, just reminds me that there is no connection there. Plus, there were a whole bunch of losers in my class too.

norm wrote:
    i just find it fun every 10 years to catch up and retell old 'war stories' from high school...we had a lot of fun!! :mrgreen:

I enjoyed this part as well. There were stories I had forgotten or had never known in addition to the ones I remember but rarely have the chance to reminisce about.

It was also really interesting to hear other people's perspectives of my past. For instance, at my 15 year reunion, this guy who I totally couldn't remember followed me around telling me (and anyone who would listen), "You were (she was) the hottest girl in high school!" Hahaha!! It was great for my ego! :mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen: Also, my grandparents taught in the middle school that everyone had attended and many people at the reunion told wonderful stories about how my grandparents had touched their lives. It was so great to hear, especially now that my grandmother has passed away. :(
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I'll only be out of high school 4 years this June....but I don't really know if I'll go to a reunion. Most of the people I'd like to see probably wouldn't even be there. I'd just show up to find all the people that I intentionally didn't run around with. :?

Either that or I can go rent a really awesome suit with a top hat and monicle and act like I'm the next Warren Buffet.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I'll only be out of high school 4 years this June....but I don't really know if I'll go to a reunion. Most of the people I'd like to see probably wouldn't even be there. I'd just show up to find all the people that I intentionally didn't run around with. :?

Either that or I can go rent a really awesome suit with a top hat and monicle and act like I'm the next Warren Buffet.
    I like the later
    And I fought going but my friend "made me" and like I posted above- I met my husband of almost 29 years- you never know what will happen
    pandora wrote:
    And I fought going but my friend "made me" and like I posted above- I met my husband of almost 29 years- you never know what will happen

That's a GREAT story! :)
  • dcfaithful wrote:
    Or Mr. Peanut...
    5398.jpg
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • norm wrote:
    norm wrote:

yeah all girls (or boys) school might be a bit much

yea.
    we live only about 3 miles from our respective childhood homes.
    ( i married the boy around the block :))
    i now live in the town i went to elementary school in, am surrounded by all the towns i visited/hung out in during my youth....and i run into people i went to HS with here or there in various places now and again. we still hang out with most of my husband's HS friends and have most of our relationship. i think the fact that my husband still plays in a band, with friends from HS, helps. :lol: who knows, maybe i'll go to my 25th when it rolls around in the not too distant future, but...probably not. ;)

i run into former students of mine ALL the time....now THAT is a trip! :shock: :o:mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

yea.
    i now live in the town i went to elementary school in, am surrounded by all the towns i visited/hung out in during my youth....and i run into people i went to HS with here or there in various places now and again. we still hang out with most of my husband's HS friends and have most of our relationship. i think the fact that my husband still plays in a band, with friends from HS, helps. :lol: who knows, maybe i'll go to my 25th when it rolls around in the not too distant future, but...probably not. ;)

well that makes sense if you see most of the people from time to time :)
    i run into former students of mine ALL the time....now THAT is a trip! :shock: :o:mrgreen:

my friend taught at our high school after graduating from college and from time to time we'll be out like at a concert, and these 20-something girls come up to him and i'm like 'whoa' wtf?? then he says they were his students :shock: :lol:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Or Mr. Peanut...
    5398.jpg
    :lol: clever 8-)
  • norm wrote:
    yea.

well that makes sense if you see most of the people from time to time :)

my friend taught at our high school after graduating from college and from time to time we'll be out like at a concert, and these 20-something girls come up to him and i'm like 'whoa' wtf?? then he says they were his students :shock: :lol:

oh not most....not even close. just the occasional run-in. but still, it's enough for me. ;)
    hubby's HS buddies are who we see all the time.

as to students, first encounter was the videostore while i was still teaching (i taught in a school only one town over from where i live) and that was weird. then it happened, and still happens with regularity, the checker at the market being a former student. the weirdest was, and still is, at our fave local italian place....having 1 of my students as our waiter. :? firstly, to think i have former students old enough to serve alcohol (but when i think about my first year teaching and the 8th graders at that time...well holy hell, they'd be about 28 now!) and secondly, for him to see how much i like to drink. :mrgreen: hahahaha. eh well......
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

scb wrote:
    pandora wrote:

That's a GREAT story! :)
    funny thing was he called me once in high school, he and I both had a steady then and I carved his initials into a table in the basement,kind of weird now that I think about it. A couple years ago we were back home and my house I grew up in was for sale,this we knew, but we drove past and it was an open house.So cool! Got to walk thru. Very weird after a whole generation had gone by. It was sold by my Mom 30 years previous. I was hoping the table would still be there as it was a built in my Dad had made but it wasn't. That would have been so very cool though if JB and I could have seen it.
    Anyways reunions rule!
  • High School reunions are good for seeing girls that you fucked and ones that you should have. Kind of like a walking trophy case and wishlist.

Other than that, they're complete horseshit. As mentioned earlier, the people I really loved, I still talk to. That's about a handful of people.

However, during my 10 year reunion, I did get to play and sing Betterman. We had a live band and I got to play towards the middle of the evening. It was actually very fun.
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    My H.S didn't even have one. Not that I would probably go to it. I found all the people i was friendly with on facebook, that's good enough for me. :)
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Not interested, 99% of the people from school were idiots.
    Only 1% I see often, who is my best mate.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014