PJ Promo CD singles

walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
edited January 2008 in The Porch
Just picked up a "Light Years" promo CD single from a bargain bin at my local record store, and it got me thinking that trying to collect all of PJ's promo singles would be a fun, but relatively cheap, endeavor, now that I have back off from the poster craze.

Just curious: does anyone know which songs actually have promo CD's made for them? Are there any that are generally more or less difficult to find?

Of course, if anybody has one they'd like to sell, I'll probably say yes.

Just to make myself clear, I'm referring to the CD's that are sent to radio stations and record stores before a new single and/or record is to be released. These are almost always one track (if more than one track, it's because there's a radio-edit and album version of the same song). They are labeled either "Promotional Only" or "Demonstration" on the packaging and/or disc.
Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    relatively cheap? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

ah. sorry

it'll be at least as expensive as posters, if not more so.

you just want promo cds? here's a few...

http://www.pjcollectors.com/category.asp?id=9

http://www.pjcollectors.com/category.asp?id=11

keep in mind that just like posters, there are dogs and there are mid-range, and there are high level, and then there are elites and impossibles. have fun. don't count on having any money left. maybe sell a poster or ten

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    dangerboy wrote:
    relatively cheap? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

ah. sorry

it'll be at least as expensive as posters, if not more so.

you just want promo cds? here's a few...

http://www.pjcollectors.com/category.asp?id=9

http://www.pjcollectors.com/category.asp?id=11

keep in mind that just like posters, there are dogs and there are mid-range, and there are high level, and then there are elites and impossibles. have fun. don't count on having any money left. maybe sell a poster or ten

Hmmm...I see your point. I got the "Light Years" one for $1.99. Must be a dog?

Thanks for the info.

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • good luck. i think it would cost you more than posters, if you want ever single.
    i got SOLAT a looong time ago and it was about 100$.
  • TauranTauran Posts: 89
    Collecting promos is not as expensive as some would have you believe. I recently picked up the benaroya hall promo, the lost dogs promo, the 2000 tour promo, given to fly, light years and nothing as it seems promos, each for less than three dollars as part of a package deal some dude was selling.

There are other not-so-expensive ones too. The three radio promo singles from their last album (Worldwide Suicide, Life Wasted, and Gone) are all worthy purchases. I have seen the In Hiding promo sell for less than twenty (albeit this was quite awhile ago).

Of course there are really expensive examples of cd promos. Thats the case with practically any area of Pearl Jam collecting, the trick is to display patience (don't buy anything that will result in you missing a mortgage payment), wait for good deals, search for alternate spellings and listing on ebay and rare cd sites, and start small.

Once I collect all of the low level, inexpensive promos I will move onto the harder-to-find ones, and spread my spending out over a longer time and just bite the bullet and pay the twenty to thirty that is needed for some of them. Its just the name of the game.

~bill
    Cleveland '03 -Columbus '03 -Toledo '04 -Cleveland '06 -Pittsburgh '06 -Cincinnati '06 - Chicago '07 - Columbus '10 - Cleveland '10 - Pittsburgh '13 - Cincinnati '14 - Detroit '14 - Lexington '16 - Wrigley '16 - Wrigley '18
  • Tauran wrote:
    Collecting promos is not as expensive as some would have you believe. I recently picked up the benaroya hall promo, the lost dogs promo, the 2000 tour promo, given to fly, light years and nothing as it seems promos, each for less than three dollars as part of a package deal some dude was selling.

There are other not-so-expensive ones too. The three radio promo singles from their last album (Worldwide Suicide, Life Wasted, and Gone) are all worthy purchases. I have seen the In Hiding promo sell for less than twenty (albeit this was quite awhile ago).

Of course there are really expensive examples of cd promos. Thats the case with practically any area of Pearl Jam collecting, the trick is to display patience (don't buy anything that will result in you missing a mortgage payment), wait for good deals, search for alternate spellings and listing on ebay and rare cd sites, and start small.

Once I collect all of the low level, inexpensive promos I will move onto the harder-to-find ones, and spread my spending out over a longer time and just bite the bullet and pay the twenty to thirty that is needed for some of them. Its just the name of the game.

~bill

Good post! I have found that most promos from "No Code" onwards are relatively inexpensive, with a few exceptions. You should be able to pick up the 3 regular promos from the last album for around $10 each, the CD-R promos with the white paper sleeves go for a little bit more.
    I picked one of these up for £5 ($10) just before christmas.
    http://www.pjcollectors.com/detail.asp?id=675
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,663
    Yeah good luck i spent years collecting them, for example

1. the black promo is expensive and mega rare
    2. the alive promo even more so and with the front cover will seriously cost you - upwards to $500
    3. some of the even flow's are tricky too!!!!

Good Luck!!!
  • Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,539
    No matter how much effort you put into this, you will never be able to complete this collection.. Its just too many of em.
    I will swallow poison
  • Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Yeah good luck i spent years collecting them, for example

1. the black promo is expensive and mega rare
    2. the alive promo even more so and with the front cover will seriously cost you - upwards to $500
    3. some of the even flow's are tricky too!!!!

Good Luck!!!

I got the alive promo (without the cover) for $6
    And I know where there's another one.
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,663
    Yeah, I only paid a few bucks myself, not sure why but that front cover - small type piece of paper - is worth a mint!!!
  • ravilloriasravillorias Paris Posts: 458
    The same question I wrote in another (simlar) post: where do you search for it?, I am not in the States, I'm in Paris, and in the "Rare" CD stores I do not find any rare-pearl jam-CD-related !!! :S

So, I some tmes go to ebay... I the itmes are quite expensive :S
    -- rafa
  • I think the hardest thing is finding them all. There are ALOT of promo cds out there.
    Back in 94-95 that was my goal, to get them all. All the singles, not just the radio promos. About a two years into it I had like 5-6 not for you's, tremor christ's, stbc, and i cant remember how many different versions of Alive or Evenflow there are. Its like every country got there own single.
    The only thing I would say is dont buy the CD-R's from EIL. They are usually in the hundreds there. Which is just silly.
  • There is a giant record fair in Utrecht Holland every April and November. There are hundreds of stalls and it's on for 3 days. If you're in Europe around that time it is well worth a visit. Always found lot's of PJ stuff for sale. Got a nice sealed copy of the Ten yellow digipack CD last year for 35 euros, it was up for 70 euros all weekend, but the guy selling had a half price sale on the sunday afternoon. There was also a guy selling quantities of the Life Wasted CD promo for 3 euros!
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    I picked up what I believe are promotional singles (CD's) off of Ebay week or so ago....originals...9 of them and paid $11.00. Had no idea on value......but for the price just had to "win" them.

description below...any info would be appreciated

PEARL JAM - 9 CD SINGLES SET. DESCRIPTIONS STARTING FROM LEFT TO RIGHT, THEN TOP TO BOTTOM:

"EVEN FLOW" / "DIRTY FRANK" / "OCEANS" (REMIX) 3-TRACK CD SINGLE. EPIC RECORDS #34K-77934. COPYRIGHT 1992.
    "GO" 1-TRACK PROMO CD SINGLE. EPIC RECORDS #ZSK-5487. COPYRIGHT 1993.
    "GO" / "ELDERLY WOMAN BEHIND THE COUNTER IN A SMALL TOWN" (ACOUSTIC) / "ALONE". 3-TRACK AUSTRIAN IMPORT CD SINGLE. EPIC RECORDS #659795-2. COPYRIGHT 1993.
    "SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE" / "TREMOR CHRIST" 2-TRACK CD SINGLE. EPIC RECORDS #34K-77771. COPYRIGHT 1994.
    "SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE" / "TREMOR CHRIST" 2-TRACK AUSTRIAN IMPORT CD SINGLE. EPIC RECORDS #661036-2. COPYRIGHT 1994.
    "NOT FOR YOU" / "OUT OF MY MIND" 2-TRACK AUSTRIAN IMPORT CD SINGLE. EPIC RECORDS #661203-2. COPYRIGHT 1995.
    "ANIMAL" / "JEREMY" (LIVE) / "DAUGHTER" (LIVE) / "ANIMAL" (LIVE) 4-TRACK AUSTRALIAN IMPORT CD SINGLE. EPIC RECORDS #660519-2. COPYRIGHT 1994.
    "ANIMAL" / "JEREMY" / "OCEANS" / "ALIVE" (LIVE) 4-TRACK AUSTRALIAN IMPORT CD SINGLE. EPIC RECORDS #660338-2. COPYRIGHT 1993.
    "JEREMY" / "FOOTSTEPS" / "YELLOW LEDBETTER" 3-TRACK AUSTRIAN IMPORT CD SINGLE. EPIC RECORDS #658180-2. COPYRIGHT 1992
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • godpt3godpt3 Posts: 1,020
    I've got the Love, Reign O'er promo CD. Actually managed to score it off ebay for a reasonable price, too :D
    "If all those sweet, young things were laid end to end, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised."
    —Dorothy Parker

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6902/conspiracytheoriesxt6qt8.jpg
    callen wrote:
    I picked up what I believe are promotional singles (CD's) off of Ebay week or so ago....originals...9 of them and paid $11.00. Had no idea on value......but for the price just had to "win" them.

description below...any info would be appreciated

PEARL JAM - 9 CD SINGLES SET. DESCRIPTIONS STARTING FROM LEFT TO RIGHT, THEN TOP TO BOTTOM:

"EVEN FLOW" / "DIRTY FRANK" / "OCEANS" (REMIX) 3-TRACK CD SINGLE. EPIC RECORDS #34K-77934. COPYRIGHT 1992.
    "GO" 1-TRACK PROMO CD SINGLE. EPIC RECORDS #ZSK-5487. COPYRIGHT 1993.
    "GO" / "ELDERLY WOMAN BEHIND THE COUNTER IN A SMALL TOWN" (ACOUSTIC) / "ALONE". 3-TRACK AUSTRIAN IMPORT CD SINGLE. EPIC RECORDS #659795-2. COPYRIGHT 1993.
    "SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE" / "TREMOR CHRIST" 2-TRACK CD SINGLE. EPIC RECORDS #34K-77771. COPYRIGHT 1994.
    "SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE" / "TREMOR CHRIST" 2-TRACK AUSTRIAN IMPORT CD SINGLE. EPIC RECORDS #661036-2. COPYRIGHT 1994.
    "NOT FOR YOU" / "OUT OF MY MIND" 2-TRACK AUSTRIAN IMPORT CD SINGLE. EPIC RECORDS #661203-2. COPYRIGHT 1995.
    "ANIMAL" / "JEREMY" (LIVE) / "DAUGHTER" (LIVE) / "ANIMAL" (LIVE) 4-TRACK AUSTRALIAN IMPORT CD SINGLE. EPIC RECORDS #660519-2. COPYRIGHT 1994.
    "ANIMAL" / "JEREMY" / "OCEANS" / "ALIVE" (LIVE) 4-TRACK AUSTRALIAN IMPORT CD SINGLE. EPIC RECORDS #660338-2. COPYRIGHT 1993.
    "JEREMY" / "FOOTSTEPS" / "YELLOW LEDBETTER" 3-TRACK AUSTRIAN IMPORT CD SINGLE. EPIC RECORDS #658180-2. COPYRIGHT 1992

the only promo in that lot seems to be the go 1 track, unless they are stickered or drilled promo marked retail versions. compare your catalog numbers to pjcollectors.com

of course, hard-cores will tell you that there is some value in promotional stickered versions of retail singles, though, which sorta adds a third category of singles: promo only, promo retail version, and retail version.

• callencallen Posts: 6,388
    dangerboy wrote:
    the only promo in that lot seems to be the go 1 track, unless they are stickered or drilled promo marked retail versions. compare your catalog numbers to pjcollectors.com

of course, hard-cores will tell you that there is some value in promotional stickered versions of retail singles, though, which sorta adds a third category of singles: promo only, promo retail version, and retail version.
    thank you...
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
    np

• Fu_ManchuFu_Manchu Posts: 422
    I picked up the Light Years Promo off amazon for about £1.00 before postage costs
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    I am under the impression this new box set if it is true will have all the b-sides so save your money. I am not sure, just guessing from what I have read. So think of it as a lsot dogs 2 with all the shit not on lost dogs like maybe SOLAT, Breath, Alone (orginal), h2i cab version, Elderly acoustic, Gremmie etc etc

I would wait one more month before dropping 100 bucks on a bunch of singles.

if someone already mentioned this oh well I am too lazy to sift through thee whole thread
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    I am under the impression this new box set if it is true will have all the b-sides so save your money. I am not sure, just guessing from what I have read. So think of it as a lsot dogs 2 with all the shit not on lost dogs like maybe SOLAT, Breath, Alone (orginal), h2i cab version, Elderly acoustic, Gremmie etc etc

I would wait one more month before dropping 100 bucks on a bunch of singles.

if someone already mentioned this oh well I am too lazy to sift through thee whole thread

I think you completely misunderstood my original post.

The promo CD singles that I'm looking for don't have any b-sides. Most only have one track. I'm just interested in them as collectibles.

Thanks for the input, though.