Options

Small tours, your opinion?

WhyNotSwedenWhyNotSweden Sweden Posts: 4,266
edited February 2010 in Given To Fly (live)
Looks like PJ not doing "BIG" tours like the 2006 tour any more.

2006, 82 gigs EU +US + Aus

2007, 15 gigs EU + Chicago
2008, 13 gigs US
2009, 32 gigs EU + US + Aus

What do you think of these "small" PJ tours?
-95, Stockholm (MirrorBall Tour)
-00, Stockholm
-07, Copenhagen
-09, Berlin
-10, Berlin
-11, East Troy 1+2
-12, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, EV London 2
-13, London, Chicago
-14, Amsterdam 1+2, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo
-16, TOTD San Francisco 1+2
-17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
-18, Amsterdam 1+2, London 1+(2), Barcelona, London 2
-19, EV Brussels

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I don't think too much about it.

The lads are gettin' on, have families and can't be arsed playing places they don't have to play anymore.
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    Well they played less gigs in Australia this year, but they played bigger venues. Rod Laver Arena was the venue in the past , holding 15000. They would usually do 3 gigs there on a tour. This year it was one gig at Etihad Stadium with around 50000 there. And it was a fucking awesome gig, great set, great performance , under (as ed said) a big fucking roof !! Download it !!
  • Options
    siljosiljo Posts: 2,201

2008, 13 gigs US

I'm fine with smaller tours... I think 2006 tour was their 2nd (or 3rd) biggest tour since 1991...
    Standing on a hill, staring at a mountain...
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    i want people to see them live as more could be possible..better big for people has options where to travel..the issue is to anounce the tour soon and once,not add every month more shows..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    i want people to see them live as more could be possible..better big for people has options where to travel..the issue is to anounce the tour soon and once,not add every month more shows..

Well said Yoda!!!
  • Options
    MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,628
    As long as they repeatedly tour the Northeast US on their small tours, I am fine with it!

Pennsylvannia = Pearljamsylvannia!

There is no better place to live as a PJ fan!
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    MG79478 wrote:

As a European, I refute this statement!
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    MG79478 wrote:

ill vote u for president
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Jennytree wrote:
    MG79478 wrote:

Do you think Europe gets more PJ than the Northeast US? Quality is not even up for debate, State College, Buffalo, Boston, MSG, Philly Spectrum, etc.
  • Options
    HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    MG79478 wrote:
    Jennytree wrote:
    MG79478 wrote:

Do you think Europe gets more PJ than the Northeast US? Quality is not even up for debate, State College, Buffalo, Boston, MSG, Philly Spectrum, etc.
    Have you actually had a taste of shows on this side of the pond? To experience the togetherness, energy and atmosphere that comes with GA?
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Less money for me to spend!
  • Options
    Small tours are awesome, was a great tour downunder this last year. I can not wait till the next time I can see them play.
    Rod Laver Arena - Feb 18, 2003
    Rod Laver Arena - Nov 13, 2006
    Adelaide Oval - Nov 17, 2009
    Etihad Stadium - Nov 20, 2009
    BDO Melbourne - Jan 24, 2014
    New York - May 02 - 2016

Powered by Pearl Jam
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I want the band to stay well and happy and not push themselves or have any hardships on their families. Small tours are band friendly in that way so its a good thing.
  • Options
    Hinn wrote:
    Have you actually had a taste of shows on this side of the pond? To experience the togetherness, energy and atmosphere that comes with GA?

I hate GA shows, so that isn't going to help Europe's case. Ed worries enough about the audience when there are seats, it must be worse when its General Admission.

GA or seated has nothing to do with the quantity of shows or the quality. Northeast US is king! Here in Pennsylvannia we pay a heavy price for so many great shows... we never get Oceans.
  • Options
    MG79478 wrote:
    Hinn wrote:

I hate GA shows, so that isn't going to help Europe's case. Ed worries enough about the audience when there are seats, it must be worse when its General Admission.

GA or seated has nothing to do with the quantity of shows or the quality. Northeast US is king! Here in Pennsylvannia we pay a heavy price for so many great shows... we never get Oceans.
    Does for me. Just seems as though your're dismissive of an environment you've never experienced is all.
  • Options
    Hinn wrote:
    MG79478 wrote:
    Hinn wrote:

Does for me. Just seems as though your're dismissive of an environment you've never experienced is all.
    Hin is right,i dont get some of u Americans that u dont like public and group sex....eee,,i mean GA shows :roll: :roll:
  • Options
    the only thing i hate about ga shows is the having to stand, otherwise i belive they are better
    Rod Laver Arena - Feb 18, 2003
    Rod Laver Arena - Nov 13, 2006
    Adelaide Oval - Nov 17, 2009
    Etihad Stadium - Nov 20, 2009
    BDO Melbourne - Jan 24, 2014
    New York - May 02 - 2016

Powered by Pearl Jam
  • Options
    WhyNotSwedenWhyNotSweden Sweden Posts: 4,266
    the only thing i hate about ga shows is the having to stand, otherwise i belive they are better

When Im 80 Ill sit down at a PJ gig, if they still tour then, but the question was if U like small tours. Alot of fans dont have the possibility to travel to other countrys or states 4 a show.
    -95, Stockholm (MirrorBall Tour)
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -12, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, EV London 2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -14, Amsterdam 1+2, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo
    -16, TOTD San Francisco 1+2
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -18, Amsterdam 1+2, London 1+(2), Barcelona, London 2
    -19, EV Brussels

• Options
    belfast1belfast1 Posts: 780
    Hinn wrote:

Have you actually had a taste of shows on this side of the pond? To experience the togetherness, energy and atmosphere that comes with GA?[/quote]

over here in europe there's a real atmosphere at the shows which comes i think from having a standing crowd swaying and getting all sweaty right in front of the band - in the US it seems that all the concerts are seated ? Is that right?
    dublin 1996 london 2000 dublin 2006 prague 2006 copenhagen 2007 london 2007 rotterdam 2009 london 2009 dublin 2010 belfast 2010 vienna 2014 amsterdam 2014 london 2018
  • Options
    Hinn wrote:
    I've been to plenty of GA shows in my life. Atmosphere, GA, seated, has NOTHING to do with the the quantity of shows! (and little to do with the quality) Everyone wants to talk about how great GA shows are, but that is off topic! See my original Post:
    MG79478 wrote:
    As long as they repeatedly tour the Northeast US on their small tours, I am fine with it!

Pennsylvannia = Pearljamsylvannia!

• Options
    as a citizen of england these small tours suit me, id rather have them come over almost every year and do a few shows rather than one big tour.... and wait ages and then another! For example in 2000, there was a long European tour, then Europe had to wait SIX YEARS for the next time. But since 2006 theres been 2007, 2009 and will be 2010. As long as the boys dont completely ignore a section of the planet for too long its all good! sure i want them to play every city in the uk every year... but thats unrealistic... these big one off shows are really special and the band gives it their all! I'm thinking leeds and reading 06, as well as london and manchester last year, and london 2007 so im told! I am pretty confident that hyde park this year will proove my theory! here's hoping.
    this mixing up of indoor n outdoor and festival and non festival gigs will keep them interested, and as they're getting older family and their own health must be prioritised
    listen to the voice inside, so drowned out
  • Options
    i don't like GA because jerks push from behind to get up front. And all the girls that has to be carried over worries me.

BUT from watching liveshows on DVD there is a lot better crowds in Europe - even when seated (Verona 2006 for example). I mean, look at the front row at american shows, it's a joke. Stiffer and more boring people is hard to find.

if only Eddie stopped talking in german/spanish/italian or whatever at European shows they would be perfect.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    if only Eddie stopped talking in german/spanish/italian or whatever at European shows they would be perfect.
    i love when eddie do that...i like it couse he respect the country with that way..very smart and great thing to do..
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341

I think it's really sweet when he does that!
  • Options
    nevmilesnevmiles Ottawa, ON Posts: 1,363
    I think PJ should take a page out of the book of what some bands are doing here in Canada: "big" bands playing smaller theatres . . .

The Tragically Hip and Our Lady Peace, both popular bands in Canada, have recently done tours in small, approx. 1,000 seat theatres . . . .over at least two nights. I would LOVE for PJ to play a few small theatre shows . . . . play 3 or 4 shows in a row. Gives a chance for fans to see the band up close and in an intimate setting
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108

2008, 13 gigs US

They blow huge chunks and reek of older, money grabbing acts like Madonna.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    i love when eddie do that...i like it couse he respect the country with that way..very smart and great thing to do..
    His effort at Polish in 2007 was quite memorable, to say the least :)
  • Options

I think it feels like he's kissing ass and it's Bono-ish in a bad way. Make me cringe. Almost as bad as running and hand clapping with fans during the RITFW (or maybe Alive?) guitar solo... please...

But anyways, european shows are the best i think.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341

I think it feels like he's kissing ass and it's Bono-ish in a bad way. Make me cringe. .

I think it's the polite thing to do! When you go to a country which does not speak your language, do you not learn a few words to be able to communicate with 'locals'? It's just a natural thing.
  • Options
    redrock wrote:

I think it feels like he's kissing ass and it's Bono-ish in a bad way. Make me cringe. .

I think it's the polite thing to do! When you go to a country which does not speak your language, do you not learn a few words to be able to communicate with 'locals'? It's just a natural thing.
    + 1 and if he come to your country Spiritual_Chaos and speak swedish your hair will go up ..remember my words...