New York Giants Official Thread

Comments

• tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    edited December 2009
    mr.pink wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    “I’m not saying that they don’t have pride, but I don’t see where the pride is coming from,” Giants legend Harry Carson told the Daily News’ Tim Smith after today’s game. “Wellington Mara always said, ‘Once a Giant, always a Giant.’ And guys who have played here have a certain sense of pride that we have to adhere to. I don’t necessarily see that same pride amongst the guys who are here now.”
    I agree 100%. Strahan and LT said basically the same thing and then some.
    I'm really glad people are publicly saying these things and hamerring them for having no heart and fight. At this point, I rather them lose to Vikes next week. They may get more out of it long term.

minus the year yall won the SB, hasn't the complaint (from TEAM MEMBERS and others) always been that Tom Cofflin team's never have heart??? Back in Parcell's day yall had heart, but I havn't really seen too much of it since then.

Yall might have to switch from Blue to Green this year and root for the.... uh Jets :lol::lol::lol:
    Never!

I have a feeling the Giants will be back to the playoffs next year. Now that the team's weaknesses are exposed hopefully they'll be better managed in the future.

#1: Fire the defensive coordinator. While it may seem a tad unfair, just look at the production drop from the Spagnuolo years to Sheridan's first season.

#2: I wouldn't go crazy and drop everybody. Osi Umenyiora, under the right system, is a Pro Bowl player. Same with Antonio Pierce. You gotta figure the offseason will give some of these players time to heal their injuries.

#3: Kindly explain to Brandon Jacobs that just because he signed a big contract doesn't mean he has to tiptoe his way around the line of scrimmage so as to not get hurt.
    Post edited by tcaporale on
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    One thing to look forward to next week is Eli getting 4,000 yds passing.
    I miss igotid88
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    igotid88 wrote:
    with a fucked up foot...dude is better than ok, but not great. i hate him b/c i should, but he's getting better unfortunately
  • On a positive note; a consolation prize i suppose -- to an embarrassing heartless season....

ESPN has been running a top 10 NFL football plays of the decade this past week.
    #1 --- Eli scrambles out and finds Tyree who makes the biggest catch in the biggest upset of all time! Leading to Super Bowl 42 champs. I know that now feels like forever ago but no matter what happens in pro sports; thus far...that game is the most memorable to me. Helps that i was there i guess!!!
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    RW81233 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:
    with a fucked up foot...dude is better than ok, but not great. i hate him b/c i should, but he's getting better unfortunately

A far cry from what you were saying after week 2. Gotta respect that.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:

Eli is irritating because you just want to hate him, but then he proves he is not a pussy by playing with that foot injury.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    On a positive note; a consolation prize i suppose -- to an embarrassing heartless season....

#1 --- Eli scrambles out and finds Tyree who makes the biggest catch in the biggest upset of all time! Leading to Super Bowl 42 champs. I know that now feels like forever ago but no matter what happens in pro sports; thus far...that game is the most memorable to me. Helps that i was there i guess!!!

That was not the buggest upset of all time ... even if the Patriots were 18 - 0 heading into that game. The two teams had played a really close game just a few weeks prior.

Jets v Colts Superbowl 3, bigger upset ... hell, even the Pats beating the Rams was a bigger upset.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • jimed14 wrote:
    On a positive note; a consolation prize i suppose -- to an embarrassing heartless season....

That was not the buggest upset of all time ... even if the Patriots were 18 - 0 heading into that game. The two teams had played a really close game just a few weeks prior.

Jets v Colts Superbowl 3, bigger upset ... hell, even the Pats beating the Rams was a bigger upset.
    Hahha... I knew a pats fan would respond to that. i wasn't around for jets colts so for me giants win was the biggest. The Giants were the "Rocky" to the Pats ...beat everyone "Ivan Drago"
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

An interesting look at the possible upcoming changes by Ralph Vacchiano of The Blue Screen and Daily News. I think all changes should start with Sheridan!

Defensive Coordinator Bill Sheridan

I’m still not convinced he’s a lock to be dismissed, but I’d say it’s probably a 95-percent certainty. The numbers say he’s not worth of an encore, but Tom Coughlin is historically loyal to his coaching staff. Plus, it’s not a big leap to say injuries completely submarined Sheridan’s first season. Take away or disable that many key players from any other defense an you might have similar results. Still, it was his job to stop the bleeding. And if Coughlin doesn’t pull the trigger on this, his bosses might.

MLB Antonio Pierce

He’s 31, has a bulging disc in his neck, is due $4.75 million next year, wants more, and soured the organization with his involvement in l’Affaire d’Plaxico. It’s not a combination that plays in his favor. Yes, his leadership was sorely missed down the stretch. But it seems clear it’s also time for the Giants to develop new leaders. Jonathan Goff doesn’t look ready to step in, but an upgrade through the draft or free agency seems likely.

DE Osi Umenyiora

At 28 with an affordable deal signed through 2012 he’s not going anywhere, unless he pulls a Jeremy Shockey and forces his way out. I don’t think that will happen, but I can’t rule it out. People close to him say he’s really, really unhappy and will be moreso if Sheridan returns. Those people also think that Umenyiora will eventually calm down. However, he’s been unhappy with his contract since the day he signed it in 2005. He also isn’t the same player, no matter what he thinks. Have the Giants just had enough?

RB Brandon Jacobs

The Giants still think he has potential and seem content to chalk up his disappointing season (835 yards on just 3.7 per carry) to his knee injury. But, keep this in mind: If there’s no cap next year then there’s no cap ramifications for cutting someone. If an affordable, more durable free agent is suddenly available, might the Giants make the switch? They might.

RT Kareem McKenzie

His departure was foreshadowed the moment they drafted William Beatty. At 30 with a bad back, groin and knee, he can’t be counted on for more than a dozen games. Beatty has impressed the Giants organization and offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride praised him on Friday. This baton has already been passed.

G Rich Seubert

He’s signed through 2012, but at 30 with a bad shoulder and knee, the ultimate warrior may have to accept life as a backup next season. Kevin Boothe could give him a push, but the Giants might choose a free agent guard, too. If there’s no cap, they likely won’t just cut him. He’s too much of an organizational favorite.

LB Danny Clark

Another baton that has already been passed. His strong-side job belongs to Clint Sintim in 2010.

DT Barry Cofield

He’s keeping a close eye on the CBA talks because if there’s a new one signed he’ll likely be an unrestricted free agent and while the Giants would like to sign him, there’s no guarantee they’ll meet his price. If there’s not a new agreement, he’s restricted and will be back next year.

DT Fred Robbins

Another warrior who has just worn down. At 32 with knee injuries and other assorted ailments, he won’t find many takers in unrestricted free agency. Today is probably the end of a good career.

DT Rocky Bernard

He’s signed through 2012, but after his ineffective season it’s hard to imagine the Giants want to bring him back for another round at age 31. Cap or no cap, he’s a likely cut.

S C.C. Brown

Another player who is watching the CBA to see if he’s a UFA or RFA. It won’t matter to the Giants after this disappointing season.

QB David Carr

The Giants would jump at the chance to have this valuable backup return as an insurance policy for the durable Manning. He’s as talented as any backup QB in the league and they are sure that if Manning ever got hurt, Carr could do more than keep the team afloat. He seems to like it here, too. The only question is: Will anyone give him a chance to compete for a starting job? If the answer is “Yes,” he’ll be gone.

CB Kevin Dockery

After the Giants tendered him at $1.545 million last year, they are almost certainly not going that high again after he regressed on both defense and special teams. He’ll get swept out in a secondary overhaul.

P Jeff Feagles

Tom Coughlin values his veteran leadership, but let’s face it: He’s a punter, so that doesn’t matter much. What matters is performance, and that slipped this season. He says it’s not age-related, but he is going to be 44 in two months That valuable old leg isn’t getting any younger or stronger. If he wants to play a 23rd NFL season, it probably will have to be someplace else.

WR/KR Domenik Hixon

Another one whose fate hinges on the CBA. If he’s unrestricted, the Giants will bid, but they can only go so high because he’s only valuable as a return man for them. The Big 3 at receiver is set for the future (Steve Smith, Hakeem Nicks, Mario Manningham) and Ramses Barden will take his place next season as the fourth.

WR Sinorice Moss

Believe it or not, he could be back next year because, with no new CBA, he’s only a restricted free agent. But even if they control his rights, the Giants need to do the right thing and let him out of jail. He hasn’t gotten a chance here. Maybe that’s his own doing, I don’t know. But he’s handled it with class. Free Sinorice! Please!

WR Derek Hagan, T Guy Whimper, LB Gerris Wilkinson

Three more players whose fate hinges on the CBA. They are more attractive for a possible return if they are restricted free agents, particular Hagan who is a valuable special teamer.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/#ixzz0bZpZdZpV
    I guess you are not allowed to touch Brett Favre either. Why the fuck am I watching this game?
    Why are the Giants this bad? Is there a reason they're getting routed every week?

Thank God they're done playing after this, I can't take much more.
    Over/Under of 48 hours until Sheridan is fired.

I am hoping for the under
    Congrats Eli on getting your first 4,000 yard season.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    Congrats Eli on getting your first 4,000 yard season.
    Eli along with Steve Smith are basically the only bright points I could think of.

Their running game really needs to step up next season.

And I still don't know what happened to their defense.
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:

He still throws the ball blindly occasionally, but he only cost you one game this year instead of his usual 2-3. I was also sad to see the disappearance of his 10 step drop and throw off his back foot into the middle of the field.
  • From ESPN...

Mara on Monday ripped his team after it ended its season with a second straight embarrassing loss. Mara said he was disappointed and unhappy with everyone in the organization after the Giants, who started 5-0, lost eight of their final 11 games.

Mara promised changes, but said that neither coach Tom Coughlin nor general manager Jerry Reese would be fired.

There are coaches and players in jeopardy. Mara said he was angry at the lack of mental and physical toughness as the season progressed and the lack of effort in the last two weeks, particularly in their final game in Giants Stadium -- a 41-9 loss to Carolina. Then not showing up or caring yesterday.

**Agree with it all. Great season by Eli and Steve Smith. That's all in my opinion.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5

• Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    From ESPN...

Mara on Monday ripped his team after it ended its season with a second straight embarrassing loss. Mara said he was disappointed and unhappy with everyone in the organization after the Giants, who started 5-0, lost eight of their final 11 games.

Mara promised changes, but said that neither coach Tom Coughlin nor general manager Jerry Reese would be fired.

There are coaches and players in jeopardy. Mara said he was angry at the lack of mental and physical toughness as the season progressed and the lack of effort in the last two weeks, particularly in their final game in Giants Stadium -- a 41-9 loss to Carolina. Then not showing up or caring yesterday.

**Agree with it all. Great season by Eli and Steve Smith. That's all in my opinion.
    wfan.com has the full interview. mara just rips the team apart and i was shocked at how bluntly honest he was.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Let's be honest, that 5 - 0 start was a sham. Oakland, KC, Tampa and Washington were 4 of those 5 wins.

Still, the laydown in the last 2 weeks was pretty embarassing.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    metsfan wrote:
    From ESPN...

wfan.com has the full interview. mara just rips the team apart and i was shocked at how bluntly honest he was.

I loved how honest he was. He sounded really frustrated and pissed.

Sheridan is gone!! That didnt take long thankfully.
    jimed14 wrote:
    Let's be honest, that 5 - 0 start was a sham. Oakland, KC, Tampa and Washington were 4 of those 5 wins.

Still, the laydown in the last 2 weeks was pretty embarassing.
    Totally agree, there's no excuse for being blown out.

The fact that they weren't even competitive worries me for next season.
  • D Line coach fired too. Not sure about this one bc I know he was a very popular guy. From watching superbowl dvd I noticed he was a very intense and fiery guy which i like. I dont really understand why he was next on the chopping block given the secondary and LB's were sooooo bad. My guess is bc the DLine underachieved BIG time.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5

D Line coach fired too. Not sure about this one bc I know he was a very popular guy. From watching superbowl dvd I noticed he was a very intense and fiery guy which i like. I dont really understand why he was next on the chopping block given the secondary and LB's were sooooo bad. My guess is bc the DLine underachieved BIG time.

I did read that he was very popular among the players so I am sure this is one more thing Osi will be pissed about but the fact of the matter is the D Line which was supposed to be the best apsect of the team really underperformed. Its tough to put too much blame on the secondary or the coaches will all the injuries. Heads had to roll and I am a bit suprised by this but not shocked.
  • The Osi unleashing we were expecting has begun!
    Tell WFAN yesterday...
    -He'd stop playing football before he ever plays backup again like this year.
    -"I felt like I had worn out my welcome, because for certain people, no matter what happens, they'll never take them out of the lineup, you understand what I mean?"
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5

the demolition has started
    I miss igotid88
    Shockey gets his Super Bowl ring
    I miss igotid88
  • Happy for shockey. Get his ring and a td! one thing i always give the guy is he is an animal & competitor.
    what a 2nd chance for him too, go to the super bowl in miami of all places!
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5

AP released. Saw it coming but sad to see him go.
  • Wow. It was time....
    I heard they interested in Dansby. From one 58 to another;.....make it happen!
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5

• In 2.5 hours Giants front office better be calling antrel rolle and carlos dansby.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5

In 2.5 hours Giants front office better be calling antrel rolle and carlos dansby.

Rolle is in NY I am reading.