Options

Any Ireland Vacation Tips!!!

Long Road_WILong Road_WI Posts: 145
edited December 2009 in The Porch
Gonna be going out of the states for the first time to witness some great freaking music and see some sights. Plan on being over in Ireland for probably a week and of course hitting the Dublin and Belfast concerts. :)

I need some tips on where to go!!
United Center - Aug 23, 2009 / Austin City Limits - Oct 04, 2009 / Sprint Center - May 03, 2010
The O2 - Jun 22, 2010 / Odyssey Arena - Jun 23, 2010
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Most of my relatives are in Ireland, and I can honestly say, there isn't a single bad place to go in Ireland. Just drive around and enjoy the sights, the smells, the flavors, the people, etc. :)
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Most of my relatives are in Ireland, and I can honestly say, there isn't a single bad place to go in Ireland. Just drive around and enjoy the sights, the smells, the flavors, the people, etc. :)

most def. Rent a car and map it out yourself an just drive. The people and sights are amazing.

I
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138

most def. Rent a car and map it out yourself an just drive. The people and sights are amazing.

I

definatly, if your spending a few days in the country check out galway and cork, very nice and cater for tourists well without being too touristy
  • Options
    someone once wrote 'the greatest puzzle known to mankind is to walk from one end of Dublin to the other without passing a pub' worth the walk.
    i got a hard hard head
  • Options
    JR86440JR86440 Posts: 741
    Ireland is the best place I have been to, hands down. Only spend a night or two in Dublin. Very similar to Boston but a freaking blast. Galway is very cool and you definitely need to go to the Cliffs of Moher. I spent 6 nights in Ireland about 10 years ago and cant wait to go back....got hooked on Guinness there!!!!!!!
  • Options
    gazgaz Posts: 233
    Bring plenty of money!! This country will rob you blind, seriously.
    23/8/06.
    18/6/07.
    22/6/10.
    23/6/10.
    20/6/12
    21/6/12
  • Options
    JaymacJaymac Posts: 513
    Anywhere outside of Dublin is good to visit (Dublin is great but certainly not all Ireland has to offer, or even close!) - even the wee six have their charm. The Giant's Causeway, Carrick-a-Rede etc on the Antrim coast are worth a visit.

Donegal has some of the best beaches I have ever seen..
    23/08/2006 - Dublin; 29/08/2006 - Arnhem; 30/08/2006 - Antwerp; 18/06/2007 - London; 18/08/2009 - London<br>

Proud member of the European Touring Bus 2006!
  • Options
    Jaymac wrote:

Donegal has some of the best beaches I have ever seen..

I second that. My favourite part of the country. Wouldn't be at all surprised to catch the band surfing there on the days before the show!

I also second the motion for bringing lots of cash. Dublin is one of the most expensive cities in Europe.
    Though the one good thing from yesterday's budget is the reduction of the price of a pint by 12c...
    Buy 40, get one free!!!
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    remortgage your house, sell your granny, rob Oprah and maybe, just maybe you'll be able to buy a pint of Guinness.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    FloFlo Posts: 26
    I love Donegal, my ex in laws were from Derry and we used to visit them often, and nip over the border (mainly to buy petrol but also for the beaches :))

and the Giants Causeway is awesome - as is the Carrick A Rede rope bridge (don't look down :))

Dublin I should know better, as I worked there Monday-Thursday for 18 months, but to be honest all I really used to see was the inside of the office I was working in, and the inside of the hotel I was sleeping in, oh and the cinema on O'Connell street.

We're going to make a lil' holiday of our trip over to see PJ though - flying over early on the morning of the gig and not flying home till the following evening, so I'll finally get to see a bit of the city - I'm tempted to do the open top bus tourist thing :)

Is there a particular pub that you guys are planning on meeting up in before the gig? Would be great to put faces to screen names. Plus for ONCE I won't be driving after a gig so I can actually have a drink! :D
  • Options
    PS can anyone recommend a (preferably not too expensive) hotel close to the venue?
  • Options
    dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
    Flo wrote:
    PS can anyone recommend a (preferably not too expensive) hotel close to the venue?

Sarah, I'm going to have a look for hotels later, so can let you knpw what I come up with if it helps?
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • Options
    KinseyKinsey Posts: 197
    Spend most of your time on the west coast - nicest part of the country, and cheaper than the east coast (Dublin).
    When we found the things we loved,
    They were crushed and dying in the dirt.
    We tried to pick up the pieces,
    And get away without getting hurt,
    But they caught us at the state line,
    And burned our cars in one last fight,
    And left us running burned and blind,
    Chasing something in the night.
  • Options
    dottles wrote:
    Flo wrote:

Sarah, I'm going to have a look for hotels later, so can let you knpw what I come up with if it helps?

ta

I'll have a look too when I get a chance

the only hotel I know in Dublin is the Jurys Towers on Lansdowne Road where I used to stay when I was working, on expenses :) I think that one would be a little out of my budget for this trip :D
  • Options
    There is a Jurys hotel on Parnel Street. its quite reasonable. very near to the luas which is a tram that goes up to the o2. for pubs which may be of interest to pj fans. Doyles on D'olier Street, bowes nextdoor to it. savage stout!!! The best place for music is Whelans on camden street. also Bruxelles off grafton street is where pj wen the nightt before point gig in 1996. the morrisson hotel on the quays is also not too bad!

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    remortgage your house, sell your granny, rob Oprah and maybe, just maybe you'll be able to buy a pint of Guinness.

Prices of drink went down in the budget ;)
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    i'm spending between 10 days and 2 weeks in ireland in june...this thread is great! love the tips!
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    nfanel wrote:
    i'm spending between 10 days and 2 weeks in ireland in june...this thread is great! love the tips!

oh man you are breaking my heart with this post!!!!!!!! ahhh ireland!!! fun fun fun!!!!!!!! 8-)

still waiting on my bottle of paddy's from irish al! :D

(goes out to by megamillions tickets)
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    DONEGAL - make sure you go there. just go. its great.

GALWAY -
    Connemara: the Irish speaking area to the west of Galway, absolutely brilliant place http://www.connemara.ie/
    Aran Islands: are well worth the trip. It's like travelling back in time. http://www.aranislands.ie/
    Galway Town: is small, cheap, tons of great bars and hotels.

KERRY -
    Killarney: cute little town by lake (touristy but fun. great hotels, golf courses and some mountains to climb). http://www.killarney.ie/
    Dingle Peninsula: scenic, rocky peninsula with some little fishing villages, great beaches, and old formerly inhabited islands like Skellig Michael and An Blaiscead Mor. http://www.skelligexperience.com/skellig_michael.html
    http://www.blasketislands.ie/

In Cork there are a few nice coastal places to see. South west Cork is a bit off the beaten track, but it's nice. Cork city is the 2nd city of Ireland, cheaper than Dublin, worth going to just to listen to the accent and slang :lol:

Overall, id suggest landing in Dublin, seeing the O2 gig, belfast next, then Donegal, Mayo, Connemara, Galway town, the Aran Island, The Burren, Killarney,and Cork.
    You easily see all this in one trip.

If you like surfing the best places to go on the west coast are Co. Donegal, Co. Sligo and a town called Lahinch in Co. Clare. (near the cliffs of Moher).
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    JordyWordy wrote:

GALWAY -
    Connemara: the Irish speaking area to the west of Galway, absolutely brilliant place http://www.connemara.ie/
    Aran Islands: are well worth the trip. It's like travelling back in time. http://www.aranislands.ie/

KERRY -
    Killarney: cute little town by lake (touristy but fun. great hotels, golf courses and some mountains to climb). http://www.killarney.ie/
    Dingle Peninsula: scenic, rocky peninsula with some little fishing villages, great beaches, and old formerly inhabited islands like Skellig Michael and An Blaiscead Mor. http://www.skelligexperience.com/skellig_michael.html

In Cork there are a few nice coastal places to see. South west Cork is a bit off the beaten track, but it's nice. Cork city is the 2nd city of Ireland, cheaper than Dublin, worth going to just to listen to the accent and slang :lol:

Overall, id suggest landing in Dublin, seeing the O2 gig, belfast next, then Donegal, Mayo, Connemara, Galway town, the Aran Island, The Burren, Killarney,and Cork.

If you like surfing the best places to go on the west coast are Co. Donegal, Co. Sligo and a town called Lahinch in Co. Clare. (near the cliffs of Moher).
    more great info....thanks! june can't get here soon enough!
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,526
    Westport and Doolin were my favorites. I liked Belfast, too, but it kinda freaked my wife out.

Fly over to Scotland for a few days! It's amazing.

Those roads aren't like ours. After 100 miles, you'll be DONE! Have your pints AFTER you drive. ;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    highly recommend the ring of kerry,
    dave grohl visted and mentioned it onstage at one of the foo fighters gigs.
    killarney is a great little town to stay in
    1996:Cork 2000:Dublin 2006:Dublin,Barcelona,Madrid 2007:London,Dusseldorf,Nijmegen
    2009:Manchester,London 2010:Dublin,Belfast,London,Berlin 2012: Manchester 1 +2,Stockholm,copenhagen 2013: New York ,Philadelphia
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 2018: London 1, Lisbon 2022: London 1+ 2, Krakow 2023: Austin 1 + 2
  • Options
    I've been to Ireland 8 or 9 times, and I don't remember it being that expensive as other people are saying in this thread. Sure, if you spend every waking minute in the pub, or in the shoppes in the big cities you're going to be broke, but it's nothing like spending the same amount of time in NYC or LA. Not even close. What does it cost to drive around and see a whole bunch of amazing, beautiful places, and meet some friendly people? Just the cost of diesel or petrol.:)
  • Options
    gazgaz Posts: 233
    Try living here!!!
    23/8/06.
    18/6/07.
    22/6/10.
    23/6/10.
    20/6/12
    21/6/12
  • Options
    JordyWordy wrote:

GALWAY -

KERRY -

Great tips... haven't been to Kerry in years but have very fond memories... Galway is possibly my favourite place in the world... Lahinch... well there's a fabulous little campsite on a stoney beach where I brought newagehippie and buru in 2006... I think they kinda liked it :D you open the tent in the morning and you're looking at the sea. We got back from the pub and brought our seats out to the beach and sat there singing til we got frostbite :D and of course it's only a few miles from the cliffs of moher... Doolin too isn't too far away. Yep, I love Clare.

I recommend picking some random town and just staying there for a night too... I love the small towns... you'll know everyone by the time you leave the next day.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    embraceembrace Posts: 849
    We spent 2 weeks in Ireland early in the year and cannot wait for the opportunity to go back. The graciousness and hospitality of the people is so refreshing and the 365 degree views from any highway are breathtaking. My favorite stops included Lahinch (super cool, laid back beach village), Cork (especially the town of including the English Market-don't miss the Farmgate restaurant) and the Cliffs of Moher. Wanted to spend some time in Galway and visit the Aran Islands but we lingered rather than racing and ran out of time (more reason to go back ;). Dooley Vacations ( http://www.dooleyvacations.com/) does a great job for any person on any budget. There are fantastic ways to see much of the country or very little from an extended stay in villas to a mix of Hotels, Bed and Breakfasts and Castles. They will actually send you a B&B book that allows you to plan your stay a bit and view the property's to some extent online (www.irishfarmholiday.com or www.reservebandb.com) I think are the portals for the B&Bs. If you are into food and want to experience the greatness that Ireland has to offer check out Good Food Ireland( http://www.goodfoodireland.ie/ ) We were not dissapointed once with any of the choices, you can actually call a central operator from the road and they will direct you and make reservations. so many great things to to say and much love to express for this country- the best thing I have to offer is "go! go! go!"
    got a car...got some gas...oh let's get out of here-get out of here fast...
    I hope you get this message but your not home...I will be there in just a minute or so...
    I want to go but I want to go with you.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -MT

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough. I'm fine, still in it.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,526
    embrace wrote:
    If you are into food and want to experience the greatness that Ireland has to offer check out Good Food Ireland( http://www.goodfoodireland.ie/ )

Good food was something I never experienced in Ireland. Not even once. :shock: :lol::lol::lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Let me know if you're hitting Galway, I can show ye around the place! It's a gorgeous city with great character and charm! :)
  • Options
    mohomoho Posts: 540
    Stay off the beaten track, stay West. Try and hit Dublin, Belfast, Derry, Galway and Cork in that order! :)
    JUST PLAY THE F***ING NOTE!!!
  • Options
    Ireland is fairly boring i guess because i live there :lol::lol:
    DUBLIN~~22-6-10
    BELFAST~~23-6-10

"Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight,"