• Options
    Work on developing a hangover cure that works for you... :o
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257

True. You will need it.

I recommend...

Apple Juice. A litre of the stuff.

Oxtail cupasoups. mmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmm. knocks the shakes right out of you on a cold brisk hangover grey morning.
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Bottle of Lucozade before bed, and another when you wake up.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    belfast1belfast1 Posts: 780
    between dublin and belfast are the mourne mountains - abosultelu amazing and very accessible to drive into and around

20 minutes from belfast and you are on the antrim coast road which runs through carrickfergus and up into the glens of antrim before hitting the giants causeway and the north coast

theres two day trips for ya! :D
    dublin 1996 london 2000 dublin 2006 prague 2006 copenhagen 2007 london 2007 rotterdam 2009 london 2009 dublin 2010 belfast 2010 vienna 2014 amsterdam 2014 london 2018
  • Options
    eldermanelderman Posts: 180
    Feel free to have a peek at my web site www.irishlandscapes.ie
    My favourite places would be-
    Galway city (my home town) and use it as a base to visit the Aran Islands (you should stay a night or two).
    Cliffs of Moher and the Burren (amazing limestone landscape) and Connemara.
    Down in the south west Dingle Peninsula is also great.
    The Gap of Dunloe near Killarney is wild and wonderful.
  • Options
    Two painkillers before bed... works every time... apparently it must be paracetamol though as ibuprofen can make ya nauseous.

If ya'v forgotten the painkillers... a glass of coke the next morning and plenty of greasy junk food... full breakfast works wonders (BEFORE the hangover hits in) :oops: for some reason, I hate the taste of water the next morning.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    inmytree1380inmytree1380 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Posts: 155
    I did my student teaching in suburban Dublin for seven weeks last fall; we toured and saw a lot of the country.

Dublin-you only need to spend a little time in Dublin because it is like most big, American cities. Go tour the Guinness factory (toursity, but fun), book of Kells at Trinity, Queen of Tarts on Dame St. (great pastries), and just walk around the city.

Sligo and Galway-two of my favorite towns.

Lahinch-surf lessons, golf, and just a wonderful little town. Cliffs of Mohr are close as well (you have to check this out!)

If you get a chance, take a ride out to the Wicklow Mountains-probably one of the greatest hikes I've ever been on.

And just go check out all the pubs!
    2000: Pittsburgh
    2003: Pittsburgh
    2004: Toledo
    2005: Pittsburgh
    2006: Cleveland, Pittsburgh
    2008: D.C.
    2009: Toronto, Philly IV
    2010: Cleveland
    2011: East Troy I & II
    2013: Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Baltimore
    2014: Austin I
    2016: Fort Lauderdale, Hampton, Philly II, Chicago II
  • Options
    and if you ARE spending a few days in Dublin and want to do ONE tour... there's one that I make everyone do and they're always blown away. Kilmainham Gaol... it's where the leaders of the 1916 rising were held and executed.. it was also a famine jail... it kinda sums up most of the big parts of Irish history. It's amazing!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Two painkillers before bed... works every time... apparently it must be paracetamol though as ibuprofen can make ya nauseous.

If ya'v forgotten the painkillers... a glass of coke the next morning and plenty of greasy junk food... full breakfast works wonders (BEFORE the hangover hits in) :oops: for some reason, I hate the taste of water the next morning.

Or just get pished again!!!!! :D
    Glasgow 00, Dublin 06, Lisbon 06, Lisbon 06, Munich 07, London 07, New York 08, New York 08, Manchester 09, London 09, Dublin 10, Belfast 10, London 10, Berlin 10, Manchester 12, Manchester 12, Berlin 12, Berlin 12, Amsterdam 14, Amsterdam 14, Berlin 14, Leeds 14,
  • Options

Or just get pished again!!!!! :D
    some people seem to have an issue with that one though :? not sure why... silly feckers :P
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 1,010
    Dont wear green or say "Top of the mornin to ya". You should be ok is you avoid those ones.
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14 Budapest 22 Krakow 22 Amsterdam 22 St Paul 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 24 New York 1 24 Philly 1&2 24 Boston 1&2 24 Gold Coast 24 Melbourne 1 24 Sydney 1&2 24
  • Options
    BALLBOY wrote:
    Dont wear green or say "Top of the mornin to ya". You should be ok is you avoid those ones.

Also, do not say anything complementary of Thierry Henry! :lol:

I'm biased living here and all but come to Cork, its a great little city and was recently in the top ten of places to visit in the Lonely Planet guide. Places to visit: Baltimore in West Cork is really nice, a lazy seaside town. Also Clonakilty and Schull are lovely as well.

If you're going to the city theres also loads to do!

As for outside of Cork, a big + 1 for Galway, really nice city
    Crowd: "UUUUUKKK!"
    Eddie: "I see you've acknowledged the Ukulele"
    Crowd: "UUUUUUUUKKKKK!!!"
    Eddie: "Too bad this is a mandolin you uncultured bastards"
  • Options
    irish breakfast. to die for. with guiness (or murphy's). i prefer mine with murphy's
    14.10.2000 Houston, 09.09.2006 Marseilles, 11.09.2006 Paris, 18.06.2007 London, 17.08.2009 Manchester, 18.08.2009 London, 22.06.2010 Dublin, 23.06.2010 Belfast, 25.06.2010 London
  • Options
    TE171148 wrote:
    irish breakfast. to die for. with guiness (or murphy's). i prefer mine with murphy's
    :D Yep yep yep... my south african friend was really excited when I brought back sausages the last time... she loves the irish ones. But Morrisons sell galtee sausages and white pudding... not the best but it tastes like a normal breakfast to me :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    bump - so i can find some of this info later : )
  • Options
    FloFlo Posts: 26
    elderman wrote:
    Feel free to have a peek at my web site http://www.irishlandscapes.ie

wow! your photographs are beautiful, I could look at them all day
  • Options
    JordyWordy wrote:
    DONEGAL - make sure you go there. just go. its great.

GALWAY -
    Connemara: the Irish speaking area to the west of Galway, absolutely brilliant place http://www.connemara.ie/
    Aran Islands: are well worth the trip. It's like travelling back in time. http://www.aranislands.ie/
    Galway Town: is small, cheap, tons of great bars and hotels.

KERRY -
    Killarney: cute little town by lake (touristy but fun. great hotels, golf courses and some mountains to climb). http://www.killarney.ie/
    Dingle Peninsula: scenic, rocky peninsula with some little fishing villages, great beaches, and old formerly inhabited islands like Skellig Michael and An Blaiscead Mor. http://www.skelligexperience.com/skellig_michael.html
    http://www.blasketislands.ie/

In Cork there are a few nice coastal places to see. South west Cork is a bit off the beaten track, but it's nice. Cork city is the 2nd city of Ireland, cheaper than Dublin, worth going to just to listen to the accent and slang :lol:

Overall, id suggest landing in Dublin, seeing the O2 gig, belfast next, then Donegal, Mayo, Connemara, Galway town, the Aran Island, The Burren, Killarney,and Cork.
    You easily see all this in one trip.

If you like surfing the best places to go on the west coast are Co. Donegal, Co. Sligo and a town called Lahinch in Co. Clare. (near the cliffs of Moher).

+1 for the Aran Islands, I've only been to Inis Mór but if you have the time definitely worth a visit.
    You're in your own world, let's see the whole world. Let's pick up your soul.
  • Options
    I did two weeks in Ireland about two months ago and it was absolutely fantastic. Definetely rent a car and see the sights on your own time frame. Driving on the "wrong" side of the road can be harrowing at first, but you'll get used to it pretty quick. We started in Dublin, headed south, and basically covered the entire coastline in two weeks. I really enjoyed from Galway north to Doenegal. Absolutely beautiful countryside. And definetely check out the Giant's Causeway. You're going to love it.
  • Options
    JaymacJaymac Posts: 513
    I did two weeks in Ireland about two months ago and it was absolutely fantastic. Definetely rent a car and see the sights on your own time frame. Driving on the "wrong" side of the road can be harrowing at first, but you'll get used to it pretty quick. We started in Dublin, headed south, and basically covered the entire coastline in two weeks. I really enjoyed from Galway north to Doenegal. Absolutely beautiful countryside. And definetely check out the Giant's Causeway. You're going to love it.

Drop in for a pint if you do - it's about 10 minutes from my house :)
    23/08/2006 - Dublin; 29/08/2006 - Arnhem; 30/08/2006 - Antwerp; 18/06/2007 - London; 18/08/2009 - London<br>

Proud member of the European Touring Bus 2006!
  • Options
    eldermanelderman Posts: 180
    Flo wrote:
    elderman wrote:
    Feel free to have a peek at my web site http://www.irishlandscapes.ie

wow! your photographs are beautiful, I could look at them all day

Hey thanks, much appreciated. :D
  • Options
    eboweddie wrote:
    There is a Jurys hotel on Parnel Street. its quite reasonable. very near to the luas which is a tram that goes up to the o2. for pubs which may be of interest to pj fans. Doyles on D'olier Street, bowes nextdoor to it. savage stout!!! The best place for music is Whelans on camden street. also Bruxelles off grafton street is where pj wen the nightt before point gig in 1996. the morrisson hotel on the quays is also not too bad!

I have some friends staying here over the holidays this year. Can you recommend any reasonable pubs and restaurants in the vicinity? Please pm me any suggestions. Thanks, really appreciate your input. :D
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• Options
    eboweddie wrote:
    There is a Jurys hotel on Parnel Street. its quite reasonable. very near to the luas which is a tram that goes up to the o2. for pubs which may be of interest to pj fans. Doyles on D'olier Street, bowes nextdoor to it. savage stout!!! The best place for music is Whelans on camden street. also Bruxelles off grafton street is where pj wen the nightt before point gig in 1996. the morrisson hotel on the quays is also not too bad!

I have some friends staying here over the holidays this year. Can you recommend any reasonable pubs and restaurants in the vicinity? Please pm me any suggestions. Thanks, really appreciate your input. :D
    they're all pubs :D there are so many pubs in Dublin that sometimes it's good to just do a pub crawl until you find your home.

My favourite restaurant in Dublin is The Boxty House in Temple Bar... the food is delish! It's a little expensive though.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    My favourite restaurant in Dublin is The Boxty House in Temple Bar... the food is delish! It's a little expensive though.

I went there the morning after the last Dublin show... had a Broxty Brunch which was genuinely superb. :thumbup:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    Huh, i've never heard of that place, must check it out!

Even us locals can pick up tips from these threads! 8-)
  • Options
    JordyWordy wrote:
    Huh, i've never heard of that place, must check it out!

Even us locals can pick up tips from these threads! 8-)
    it's across the road from gogartys... so bang in the middle of temple bar. I've been there a few times... the food is excellent. It's not boxty as I know it though... but it's bloody good :D You probably haven't been there cos it looks shit... it looks like a place only tourists would go to.

I like the mexican beside it too... the Alamo I think it's called. Elephant and Castle's really good too... I love the restaurants in Temple Bar.

They're both really cosy... considering how many sittings they must go through in a night.

http://www.boxtyhouse.ie/
    BOOK a table though.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life