The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Line of the day had to be Bloomberg saying "We didnt want the Phillies to go home empty handed so I am sending Jimmy Rollins a brand new crystal ball"

ha ha
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    1 MILLION?!?!?!
    1 MILLION?!?!?! that's all?????? :shock:

by some reports we doubled or tripled that number last year...and your city has about 7 million more people! .....

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/yank ... 3CoJ0HcqGM

In the morning, an estimated crowd of 1 million lined Broadway to celebrate the title. The players, standing on floats, made their way through Wall Street toward City Hall Plaza as confetti rained down from nearby office buildings

All my buddies that went to the last Giants parade and this parade said there was a whole lot more people there today than there were for the Giants. They said there were too many people today.

Also, when you only win twice in 100+ years the whole city has to turn out.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    1 MILLION?!?!?!

by some reports we doubled or tripled that number last year...and your city has about 7 million more people! .....

In the morning, an estimated crowd of 1 million lined Broadway to celebrate the title. The players, standing on floats, made their way through Wall Street toward City Hall Plaza as confetti rained down from nearby office buildings

All my buddies that went to the last Giants parade and this parade said there was a whole lot more people there today than there were for the Giants. They said there were too many people today.

hahaha...just busting your chops dude...just seems to go hand in hand with the way the crowd was at the stadium.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    1 MILLION?!?!?!

how did you guys have 3 million people show up for your parade? i thought 98% of philly was arrested for rioting like assholes after the final out.

hahaha...just busting your chops dude...just seems to go hand in hand with the way the crowd was at the stadium.

I was as well. Crowd was weak for at least the first game of the series, but they didnt have much to get into in that game.
    1 MILLION?!?!?!

how did you guys have 3 million people show up for your parade? i thought 98% of philly was arrested for rioting like assholes after the final out.
    you're thinking of another city.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I was as well. Crowd was weak for at least the first game of the series, but they didnt have much to get into in that game.

watching the game i was shocked at how quiet it seemed during the latter innings for game 6 of the world series. seemed like they were more excited to ask pedro who his father was.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

watching the game i was shocked at how quiet it seemed during the latter innings for game 6 of the world series. seemed like they were more excited to ask pedro who his father was.

Then again, I commented to people I was with about how quiet the Phillies fans were in game 4 when the Phillies were only down by a run before they tied it up.

The only game I went to was game 2 of the ALCS and the crowd was great.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Then again, I commented to people I was with about how quiet the Phillies fans were in game 4 when the Phillies were only down by a run before they tied it up.

The only game I went to was game 2 of the ALCS and the crowd was great.

"and at 9:04pm this crowd has come to life"
    Joe Buck. Game 2.

it was obvious the yankee fans were much quiter than phils fans. has something to do with charging a few grand for the best seats in the house i would suspect.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I'd say the Yanks fans were loud as a fuck today
    Over 1 million lined the streets of Broadway and The Canyon Of Heroes
    early today , in very chilly temps .
    In fact they were out there all night, lining up for todays festivities.
    platessmall.jpg
    I know its already November 8th , and even the tickertape
    has already been all swept up and recycled already .

Its almost a long gone memory already,
    but last night at MSG we were still celebratiing.

Even for those who are not avid fans of Springsteen,
    Last night @ The Garden , you can really see and feel
    that he is a diehard NY Yankee fan and has always been .

Take a look at these 2 videos I shot

First , the very end of " Does This Bus Stop at 82nd ? "

Bruce holds up one of the placards we all saw the day of the parade.
    The pinstriped " 27 NY Yankees World Champions "
    He then says " Its gotta be done ! "
    before the opening lyrics and chords, Bruce again says " Congratulations NY ! "
    The band goes straight into Glory Days.
    Into the final verse, Stevie comes and joins in while Bruce starts announcing Yankee names,
    ......Mariano , Jeter, Damon , Girardi, and Swisher were all prominently featured .
    This happens right around 3:09 into the song.

Well received by the hometown crowd.

:)
    platessmall.jpg
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    something i don't understand...

world series champion, what is that?
    what other countries are u.s. teams playing?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,144
    chadwick wrote:
    something i don't understand...

world series champion, what is that?
    what other countries are u.s. teams playing?

Canada.
    I miss igotid88
    Jeter and Tex win Gold Gloves.
    I miss igotid88
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    igotid88 wrote:

Did Jeter win his for playing the rover? Or left field?
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:

Did Jeter win his for playing the rover? Or left field?

shortstop.
    I miss igotid88
    was he better this year defensively, probably ... is he the best defensive shortstop in the AL ... no.

Gold Golves are a joke.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:
    was he better this year defensively, probably ... is he the best defensive shortstop in the AL ... no.

Gold Golves are a joke.

Like when Rafael Palmeiro won when he only played like 30 games at 1st. Tino should've won that year.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

Gold Golves are a joke.

Like when Rafael Palmeiro won when he only played like 30 games at 1st. Tino should've won that year.

exactly.

but hey, Jeter had an outstanding year at the plate, so, he deserves the gold glove.

• Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    jimed14 wrote:
    is he the best defensive shortstop in the AL ... no.
    his numbers say otherwise
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

metsfan wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

there is no composite stat that has Jeter as the best defensive SS in the AL. No way.

On stright fielding percentage, perhaps ... but that doesn't account for the fact his range is far less than most and he's also got a gold glove 1st basman to help him avoid some errors.

I'm sure if you look at those range inclusive (UZR?) ratings, Jeter's not #1 ... more likely the fringe of the top 5.

jimed14 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

there is no composite stat that has Jeter as the best defensive SS in the AL. No way.

On stright fielding percentage, perhaps ... but that doesn't account for the fact his range is far less than most and he's also got a gold glove 1st basman to help him avoid some errors.

I'm sure if you look at those range inclusive (UZR?) ratings, Jeter's not #1 ... more likely the fringe of the top 5.

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable_playe ... imeFrame=1

the glaring stat is jeter had 8 errors this season while everyone else was in the top 10 had 8-25 errors

metsfan wrote:

Proving my point. His fielding percentage is great ... but that number next to it ... "RF", is range, and Jeter's is the lowest in the top 20 shortstops.

Tough to make errors when you can't get to as many balls.

jimed14 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

Proving my point. His fielding percentage is great ... but that number next to it ... "RF", is range, and Jeter's is the lowest in the top 20 shortstops.

Tough to make errors when you can't get to as manhy balls.
    so because he has no range your gonna discredit his 8 errors :roll: :lol::lol:. he's 35 years old and isn't even the best ss on his time. lets factor that in than.

I'm as big as a yankee hater as the next person, but you can't deny jeters stats are the best outta the top 5 ss. baseball is a stats game and jeters got the stats year in and year out.

metsfan wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

Tough to make errors when you can't get to as manhy balls.
    so because he has no range your gonna discredit his 8 errors :roll: :lol::lol:. he's 35 years old and isn't even the best ss on his time. lets factor that in than.

I'm as big as a yankee hater as the next person, but you can't deny jeters stats are the best outta the top 5 ss. baseball is a stats game and jeters got the stats year in and year out.

Doesn't it make sense that if one has a limited range, that does discredit the error factor a bit? He's going to have less chances than others, thus, less errors.

Again, he had a good year defensively ... but, he's not the best defensive shortstop in the AL, no way.

Let me find the composite stats ... I'll bet he's top 5 because the low error total, but that's it.

jimed14 wrote:

Doesn't it make sense that if one has a limited range, that does discredit the error factor a bit? He's going to have less chances than others, thus, less errors.
    well than you have to factor in age and games played in the season

metsfan wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

well than you have to factor in age and games played in the season

age? Why should someone's age factor into who's the best defensive shortstop?

Are you stating Jeter should get a handicap because he's older?

jimed14 wrote:

age is def a factor cause it limits your range. go look at the ages of players in the top 10 ss and range and than look at jeters age and range.

metsfan wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

age is def a factor cause it limits your range. go look at the ages of players in the top 10 ss and range and than look at jeters age and range.

I agree, age is a definite factor ... but, he shouldn't get a break because he's older and can cover less ground, that's silly.

jimed14 wrote:

I agree, age is a definite factor ... but, he shouldn't get a break because he's older and can cover less ground, that's silly.
    i wasn't saying he should get a break at all. i was merly saying cause of his age his range is gonna be less than other players. 8 errors is still 8 errors no matter what your range or age is.