*** Philadelphia 4 Fanviews Here 10/31/09 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
edited December 2013 in Given To Fly (live)
October 31, 2009 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Wachovia Spectrum Arena
Opening: Bad Religion

Set List: Why Go, Last Exit, Corduroy, Severed Hand, The Fixer, Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, You Are, Amongst The Waves, Even Flow, Pilate, Unthought Known, Daughter/Another Brick In The Wall Part 2 (Waters), Johnny Guitar, Rats, I'm Open, I Got Shit, Glorified G, Out Of My Mind, Black, Insignificance, Life Wasted

1st encore: Just Breathe w/string quartet, The End w/string quartet, Low Light, Speed Of Sound, Jeremy w/string quartet, Inside Job, Bugs w/string quartet, Spin The Black Circle, Porch

2nd encore: Whip It (Devo), Got Some, Crown Of Thorns (Mother Love Bone), Satan's Bed, Sweet Lew, Do the Evolution, Better Man/Save It For Later (English Beat), Smile, Alive, Rockin' In The Free World (Young), Yellow Ledbetter/Star Spangled Banner

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Please try to keep the thread for Fanviews....
Thank you :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Have anyone videos of whip it surfaced yet??
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • BeanBean Posts: 7
    Incredible.
  • agfyagfy Posts: 133
    LOVED IT!!!!! best show i've been to THANK YOU PJ!!!! :D:D:D:D
    " I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
  • GoatboyGoatboy Posts: 509
    oh boy, where to start with this one. multiple times throughout the show i said out loud "this isn't happening"
    the obvious rarities and unimaginables aside....my FIRST ever Smile after 25 shows!!!!!! sigh...so happy :mrgreen:
    I am in a daze, unable to compute thoughts/feelings at this time.
  • MusicDude415MusicDude415 Philly Burbs Posts: 171
    edited November 2009
    This concert by far exceeded my expectations.

I was in section 316, row 12 (side stage on Stone's side). Only complaint to the night was the drunk people who decided to stand in the stairs right in front of me for most of the night. A fight broke out too between some dude and a chick. I dont know what it was over.

Everything about tonight was aweome. I barely ran into any traffic driving up from West Chester, and had very little leaving. Found the Philly sport shirt by accident. Went to get food after finding my seat and saw them hanging up with a small crowd, so of course I got one. It still doesnt feel real to me. I cannot believe they just played for 3.5 hours. Cant wait for the bootleg!

Highlights:
    - Rocky Video
    - Eddie with the gloves. Anyone on here lucky enough to catch one of them?
    - BUGS!...RATS!
    - Jeremy w/ string
    - Confetti and balloons at the end
    - Mike playing SSB at the end

thats all i can think of for now...tons tons more...A perfect send off to The Spectrum
    Post edited by MusicDude415 on
    5/26/06 - Camden, NJ -- 10/31/09 - Phila, PA -- 10/21/13 - Phila, PA -- 10/22/13 - Phila, PA -- 04/28/16 - Phila, PA -- 04/29/16 - Phila, PA -- 09/14/22 - Camden, NJ
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    the best way to send the Spectrum into history...
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • must have been surreal!
    If you hate somethin don't you do it too!
  • NieraNiera Posts: 208
    This was my 8th PJ show (not counting seeing Ed solo this June) and my 3rd this week (I missed Wednesday) and HOLY F'IN SHITE ....

THAT is what a Pearl Jam show is.. and should be.. and will always be to me.

Beautiful...

Thank you, Pearl Jam.

Good Night.
    Can't wear my mask... your first, my last...
    **PROUD member of the "Stop the Evacuation and Riot Act Hating!" Club**
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,378
    Not the best of the 28 shows I've seen, but definitely the most fun and most unique ever.

Something I'll never forget...
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• That's No. 18, and that's the best — by far. Amazing. I don't know how the band has the energy. I'm 32 and just saw all four at the Spectrum and am wiped out. What to say, what to say ... .
  • TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,354
    Again, wow! I didn't think Friday could be topped, but here they pull this together. I have a bad cold from walking back to the hotel in the rain on Tuesday and I couldn't keep up with these guys tonight, but there was no way I was going to miss this.

Pilate, Bugs, Sweet Lew, Out of my Mind....

Just a hell of a show.

Thank you Pearl Jam!
  • Without a doubt a great show, though I must admit that personally it didn't live up to the hype (shocker). Long setlist with some obscurities (that Buckeye dude from this site got his Bugs wish!) but I honestly felt a more intense vibe from the crowd on Friday night. And so much for the hype of special guests. Don't get me wrong, it was a great show but I honestly liked Friday's show better. All that show lacked was the confetti and balloons. But a fine ending to a fine venue.
  • Let me start off by saying... I hit the Lottery! Front row, dead center. My friend got the little rats Eddie had on stage, he got the whip from Whip It, and a pick. We each got set lists, and I got Stone's hat from whip it. Mike gave us a wave during The End, got an up nod from Jeff... oh yea and not to mention Eddie looking at me during Yellow Ledbetter, and seeing my Navy shirt, said "Thank You Man" right to me in the middle of the song. I was floored. Couldnt gauge the crowd based on where we were sitting, but to me they sounded awesome.
    The songs they played... INfuckingcredible. I've been praying for some unknown reason to hear Bugs for so long. Never thought I'd hear it. They played it. Couldnt believe it. Rats, Sweet fucking Lew, Crown of Thorns. That show blew my mind. The night to end all nights and I hit the lottery.
    I dont know what to say really, usually I see these big long posts after someone hits the lottery. I cant even think straight right now. My throat is sore, I cant speak to save my life. We've got all these goodies i dont even know what to do with. Eddie fucking SPOKE to me... my mind is numb, and I didnt even have any nitrous tonight. I need to sleep or something. Or else I'm gonna go crazy. What a night. Thanks boys.
    In July 2007 Densmore said that he would not rejoin The Doors unless it was fronted by Eddie Vedder. Densmore says, "I play with Jim. If there's someone of that level, OK. I'm not gonna join them with Ian. That's not to diss Ian, he's a good singer - but he's no Jim Morrison. Eddie Vedder? My God, there's a singer."
  • Great show. Probably the best show I've been to. The crowd left something to be desired. I didn't make it to any of the other Philly shows (I flew in from St. Louis this morning), so I don't know how they were the other nights. The people in my section just weren't into a lot of it. They zoned out the entire first encore, sat down and tinkered on their cell phones. There was no drama in my section (that I saw, at least), so that was good. Just a lot of boozed up people.

The lull after the main set and after the first encore were just depressing. No one was clapping for the band. They knew the band would be back, so why clap? Yea, kind of rude.

Still, the show was great and the band was in TOP form. I'm lucky to have been part of such a special night.

Oh, and the Devo stunt was pretty fabulous, especially because I'm from Akron, Ohio — Devo's stomping grounds.
  • over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    Too much fun. Smile and Crown of Thorns were my personal highlights. Never thought I'd see a 40 song show, but here we are. Thanks Pearl Jam for one of the great weeks of my life.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Have anyone videos of whip it surfaced yet??

I did get it on tape but I was behind the stage, i'm in the process of uploading my videos now, might take a few hours.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,378
    The crowd zoned out halfway thru because all of the lame Phillies fans were bummed about the score of the baseball game instead of concentrating on the concert.

Philly dropped the ball on this one... never would have happened in NY or Boston.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• How long was the show?
    CAN'T KEEP CRAZY MARY IN MY TREE NO WAY NOT FOR YOU. ALL THOSE YESTERDAY JEREMY is ALONE, SAD with RATS & BUGS it's HARD TO IMAGINE a JEREMY a BETTER MAN.
    LIFE WASTED, BLOOD on the PORCH, LAST KISS is a WISHLIST DEEP DOWN NOTHING AS IT SEEMS WHY GO COME BACK ALIVE SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE and SMILE.
    How long was the show?

Around 3 and a half.
    Yield!

• How long was the show?

about 3.5 hrs roughly
  • Have anyone videos of whip it surfaced yet??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSq3KHw_VcU
    Eric Morell
  • on2legs wrote:
    The crowd zoned out halfway thru because all of the lame Phillies fans were bummed about the score of the baseball game instead of concentrating on the concert.

Philly dropped the ball on this one... never would have happened in NY or Boston.

THEN DO US A FAVOR...GO SEE THE BOYS IN BOSTON & NY.... PHILLY ROCKED THE SPECTRUM... Phillies or no Phillies, what show were you listening to???
  • TooMuchBloodTooMuchBlood Posts: 312
    edited November 2009
    on2legs wrote:

Ha-ha! Philly fans are louder than Boston or New York fans. I'm not sure what you were expecting. Note that the ring card girl didn't come out often, so it's only the cell-obsessed people who knew the score.
    Post edited by TooMuchBlood on
  • I am all about various opinions but the people complaining about the fucking crowds this week are just delusional elitists who just need to get there heads checked or just stop going to every single freaking show since they will never live up there unrealistic expectations.
    Out of My Mind from behind - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFypyjFvMH0
    Whip It/Got Some - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmBaON1UAns

I focused on Boom a lot with the Devo because he's such a funny dude.
    Yield!

• BUGS
    I f'n called it after Philly1

ASK MARCIA!!!!!!!!
    "You can bomb the world to pieces but you can't bomb into peace"
    Michael Franti
  • Tonight's poster:
    Philly4.jpg
  • inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    on2legs wrote:

Let them close Mellon Arena............. we'll show them.
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    An amazing show to top off four amazing nights. I liked that there were alot of fan club members tonight, pearl fans are the best, no matter where you're from.