Kings of Leon...

Comments

• I think you mean...Mayan-hattay-uhn ;):D

Getting my tix on wednesday *claps*
    Which gig have you decided to go to?
  • DonJonDonJon Posts: 5,089
    Ive given the new album a pretty good listen....plus I hear it on commercials, in lifts, on the radio :rolleyes:

As much as I think its great...I still like Y&YM and Aha albums better so far. Maybe this will change. I like the old raw sound but not to say I dont like the new 'polish/radio friendly' stuff.

Let the Good Times Roll
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • I haven't heard Aha shake yet, but out of the three albums I've heard Only By the Night is probably my favorite. Joe's Head is my favorite song though.
    had ta put a bullet into his head then i lit up a cigarette
    "So forget the other boys because my love is real.
    Come off your battlefield."
  • vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,859
    it is amazing how big they have become in Australia, especially in the last year.
    i remember seeing them supporting the strokes here at a small venue years back

at the start of this year they played 2 sydney shows at a 4000 person venue
    in march next year, they have sold out 2 shows at a 12000 person venue with a third on sale at a 20000 person venue!

and jacked the prices up a lot as well ;) which sucks a lot!
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    I would have probably got into them more if i didn't hear 'sex is on fire' every second for a few weeks.
    it is amazing how big they have become in Australia, especially in the last year.
    i remember seeing them supporting the strokes here at a small venue years back

in march next year, they have sold out 2 shows at a 12000 person venue with a third on sale at a 20000 person venue!

I thought they only played one at Hordern this year?

Amasing numbers there. . Even putting on a 3rd at acer...they are not far behind Pearl Jam in relation to sales.......unbelievable
  • DonJon wrote:
    they are not far behind Pearl Jam in relation to sales.......unbelievable
    VERY unbelievable! :confused:
  • vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,859
    DonJon wrote:
    I thought they only played one at Hordern this year?

Amasing numbers there. . Even putting on a 3rd at acer...they are not far behind Pearl Jam in relation to sales.......unbelievable

not sure!!

i was not in the counrty at the time!
    you might be right
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • EPOTTSIII wrote:
    Ok, been a hardcore PJ fan since TEN hit. I saw kings of Leon a few times and thought they were good. Never thought of buying their shit though...
    I obviously knew that they opened for Pearl Jam a lot in the past tours and still nothing. There is a station 104.5 in Philly and they play all the "popular"
    Kings of Leon stuff and I started to like it. Found out they had a new CD out and bought it. THAT CD IS AMAZING!
    Seriously.....ANYONE..??

Well.. I have all the old CD's now and its still true, the new CD is worth why they are big now. I WANT THAT VIRGINIA BEACH POSTER SOOOO BAD NOW!!

2 reasons : The BEST LOOKING poster of '08 and it's F'n Pearl Jam and Kings of Leon!!!

AGREED???

YES! Only By The Night is amazing! They are so great live that I cried at the Webster Hall show in September. You need to listen to all of their albums though because each album is different, which makes them such a great band...they keep growing as artists.
    "Music could provide the light you cannot resist" -R.E.M., "I'm Gonna DJ"

"My relationship with the band began as a love affair on the phone with Jeff." -Eddie Vedder, Rolling Stone, 10/28/93
  • YES! Only By The Night is amazing! They are so great live that I cried at the Webster Hall show in September. You need to listen to all of their albums though because each album is different, which makes them such a great band...they keep growing as artists.

Agreed... I do have all their old CDs and I do like them. They are all different too like you say. I just seriously think Only by the Night is a great start to finish cd.

So funny update. I had dinner over my moms house the other night and poped in the cd. She likes a lot of the bands I listen to and she said that she likes them. So I get a phone call and she tells me that she got me lower level tickets for the MSG show on 1/29 for my bday which is the 28th!
    9/29/1996 NY
    9/1&2/2000 Camden
    7/6/2003 Camden
    5/27/2006 Camden 6/1&3/2006 NJ
    6/19/2008 Camden, 6/22/2008 Washington DC, 6/25/2008 NY
    8/7/2008 Eddie Vedder NJ, 6/11/2008 Eddie Vedder Philly (3rd Row! Thanks 10c!!)
    10/28,30&31/2009 Philly
  • I am really not liking the sex single. Catchy but almost like they r selling themselves short. Of course it does SELL don't it.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    whgarrett wrote:
    I am really not liking the sex single. Catchy but almost like they r selling themselves short. Of course it does SELL don't it.

I think they are selling themselves short on the whole new album and their new sound is refined down to something that is way too clean and nova pop/rock.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    DonJon wrote:
    Ive given the new album a pretty good listen....plus I hear it on commercials, in lifts, on the radio :rolleyes:
    which makes me glad i don't listen to the radio.. but every fucker is covering sex on fire.. even buskers on Melbs Southbank as filmed by my parents on their holiday ha

i played the album at their place... and my dad recognised it...
    the new album adds to their greatness indeed

they deserve it...

i was at both sydney shows last time :eek: heh
    they were $74 each at hordern... not much of a rise.
    Zoso wrote:
    I think they are selling themselves short on the whole new album and their new sound is refined down to something that is way too clean and nova pop/rock.
    with fame comes more money to refine production :) better equipment....
  • EPOTTSIII wrote:
    Agreed... I do have all their old CDs and I do like them. They are all different too like you say. I just seriously think Only by the Night is a great start to finish cd.

So funny update. I had dinner over my moms house the other night and poped in the cd. She likes a lot of the bands I listen to and she said that she likes them. So I get a phone call and she tells me that she got me lower level tickets for the MSG show on 1/29 for my bday which is the 28th!

My mom likes KOL too! She also loves The Who so I guess I get my musical tastes from her :)
    Anyway that's so exciting that you got tickets to MSG for your b-day! I'm going too. I can't wait. I hope the pit isn't too crazy.
    "Music could provide the light you cannot resist" -R.E.M., "I'm Gonna DJ"

"My relationship with the band began as a love affair on the phone with Jeff." -Eddie Vedder, Rolling Stone, 10/28/93
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Zoso wrote:

Maybe the production but certainly not the music. I just got aha shake heartbreak and that album sounds much more like pop/rock then Only By Night. Only By Night IMO is a much better record.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • yellowled24yellowled24 Posts: 3,118
    sorry but pearl jam is mainstream too. are you sick of them now?
    I dont agree with this....the only songs of PJ that I ever hear on the radio is Last Kiss and Alive...

They never play the new stuff.

I have never, EVER heard the radio play anything off the last 4 albums.

KOL on the other hand are commercial now, which is good for them if they want it - but bad for me coz I look like im trying to be cool, haha :D
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
    vital5 wrote:
    which makes me glad i don't listen to the radio.. but every fucker is covering sex on fire.. even buskers on Melbs Southbank as filmed by my parents on their holiday ha

i played the album at their place... and my dad recognised it...
    the new album adds to their greatness indeed

My flatmate even knew Use Somebody and SOF when I put it on the other week.

This is coming from an individual that has never heard of Pearl Jam, The Who or Led Zep. She did know Foo Fighters tho
  • DonJon wrote:
    My flatmate even new Use Somebody and SOF when I put it on the other week.

This is coming from an individual that has never heard of Pearl Jam, The Who or Led Zep. She did know Foo Fighters tho
    If there's anyone in Aus that hasn't heard those songs - they must be living in a cave :rolleyes:
    Even my kids are getting sick of them.
  • yellowled24yellowled24 Posts: 3,118
    If there's anyone in Aus that hasn't heard those songs - they must be living in a cave :rolleyes:
    Even my kids are getting sick of them.
    Its pretty embarrassing when your 6 year old starts to sing it at the shops...doesnt sound good :rolleyes:

"This SEX is on fiii-iihur"

Also, on that subject, when that friggen Veronicas song was played to death "Take Me On The Floor", my son would sing along....

"I wanna kiss a boy, I wanna kiss a boy"......he IS a boy and was singing that :eek:
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
    Its pretty embarrassing when your 6 year old starts to sing it at the shops...doesnt sound good :rolleyes:

"This SEX is on fiii-iihur"

Also, on that subject, when that friggen Veronicas song was played to death "Take Me On The Floor", my son would sing along....

"I wanna kiss a boy, I wanna kiss a boy"......he IS a boy and was singing that :eek:
    nothing wrong with a bit of anal... oh wait they're just kissing... :p
  • SOLAT319 wrote:
    How could you not have heard of Pearl Jam? Seriously! I mean we're all fanboys here so our views are "slightly" biased. But even without that, how can someone not have heard Pearl Jam? Who or Zep I'd kinda understand depending on the person's age but Pearl Jam? Come on! Really?
    You'd be amazed the amount of people I speak to that haven't heard of them :eek: I quite often find out from someone commenting on a PJ shirt I'm wearing at the time. I have to do everything in my power not to slap them around a bit ;):D
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    KoL at the superdome. nope sorry i cant do it.
    i knew something was wrong when my #1(usually a connoisseur of doof doof and screamo) started singing sex on fire. now she wont stop. and when she borrowed my aha shake et al to burn onto her ipod i knew it was all over.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Stu42Stu42 Posts: 178
    Maybe the production but certainly not the music. I just got aha shake heartbreak and that album sounds much more like pop/rock then Only By Night. Only By Night IMO is a much better record.

That's crazy, which is better is your own opinion, but there's no way aha shake has more pop/rock then only by the night. The new one is an unashamed stab at making popular music, especially lyrically, and theres so many times where you know they would have jammed a bit before, but hold back on the new one
  • I have been listening to KOL for the past couple weeks, and it seems as if they have sold out. :( They turned from a hard rocking raw riff driven band to poppy music. The lead singer has completely changed his voice. He ads those gay little gasps a lot that singer from My Chemical Romance does. There aren't many solos and it seems that they have completely left their bluesy roots behind to become popular. Maybe it is harder to see for people who have been fans for a few years, but for a first time listener the differences are clear. Really, this band truly sold out. I have never really said that about a band before.

Or maybe they did all this just to get popular, then on their next album they are going to kick some serious ass and throw they whole pop scene into disarray. Then maybe real rock might become popular again. That is my dream, and I have always wanted one of these new bands to do that. :)
    Nathan
  • stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    KOL RULE!! They are my new fav. band beside PJ of course.
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,894
    My wife, who only really knows the new album, and some of the BOTT album, recently went to a live show with me. She had a great time, and is really getting into the new album. She loves Use Somebody, Manhatten, Revelry, and adores Cold Desert.

I was showing her some youtube videos the other night, and pulled up an old Molly's Chambers vid.

She takes one look at the video and says, "My god, they've sold out!" Now, she based this primarily on their appearance, as she doesn't know a ton of their older material.

I don't think it's any stretch of the imagination to say that KoL has sold out a bit, at least in the way they are trying to market themselves. Doesn't really matter to me either way. I enjoy the new album, not as much as the older stuff, but I still like it.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I have been listening to KOL for the past couple weeks, and it seems as if they have sold out. :( They turned from a hard rocking raw riff driven band to poppy music. The lead singer has completely changed his voice. He ads those gay little gasps a lot that singer from My Chemical Romance does. There aren't many solos and it seems that they have completely left their bluesy roots behind to become popular. Maybe it is harder to see for people who have been fans for a few years, but for a first time listener the differences are clear. Really, this band truly sold out. I have never really said that about a band before.

Or maybe they did all this just to get popular, then on their next album they are going to kick some serious ass and throw they whole pop scene into disarray. Then maybe real rock might become popular again. That is my dream, and I have always wanted one of these new bands to do that. :)

I find Their new cd to be MUCH less poppy then Aha Shake. I think that one is pretty basic and unoriginal pop/rock music. Only By Night is much more mature IMO.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    i got into the kings a couple years ago. because of the times is their best in my opinion. this new cd is pretty damn good though. sex on fire is great. and i am happy to see them finally get some mainstream attention. i actually heard sex on fire on wmmr in philly last night--and that station is SO far behind when it comes to playing "new" music i was shocked. good to hear it though.

and i have never seen them live but i would love to
    chinese-happy.jpg