Options

LA HOTELS/VENUE/FOODS

pearljamdude420pearljamdude420 Posts: 1,380
edited September 2009 in The Porch
so people who been to LA before. i was lucky enough to get night 1 tickets, and i will try to get night 2 somehow too

what is some good hotels to stay at near universal city? also is there any extended stay hotels in the area, like extended stays of america etc? I am coming from Vegas, and vegas hotels are real cheap. this venue is in universal city, and it a fancy tourist area? I am curious to if there is hotel rooms in the area for $50-$75 a night range? And nothing ridiculous like $200+???

also anyone here been to the venue before? It only holds 6000 i hear , what is it like real small, it is an indoor venue now also? this place used to be outside right, but is there a roof on it now? And how is security like at this venue, has anyone gone to a show there before, where the venue was filled with lets say smoke funny smoke? :lol:

i hear the venue has real good acoustics , so i wonderi f pj do extra acoustic song or somethin there. it is a weird venue to pick in LA kinda isnt it? there is tons of venues in LA, this is a small place.
also anyone got any good tips of nice affordable places to eat in the area? is universal city where this venue is near hollywood?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    2 more question for people who been there

how far is the venue from LAX?

and does anyone know about extended stay hotels for maybe $250-$300 for a weekly price? they have these all over vegas, i hear there is some like these in LA? or decent hotels for $75 or less night in the area?

is anyone here, travelling to LA also? and gonna stay for all 4 shows? there is a big cap between dates, that why i wonder if anyone looking at enteded stay hotels as well ,if anyone else is considering all 4 shows?

i think it silly they split the dates, to go to Austin in between, they could of easily made the 4 shows all before or all after austin, but whatever! PJ IN LA!
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    there are 2 hotel at universal...the sheraton and hilton...down the hill is a holiday inn...a few miles away in studio city is the sportsman's lodge....if you're flying in consider burbank airport...it's 10-15 from universal and there are a couple hotels there

hotels farther away are in glendale or hollywood
  • Options
    I was mapquesting a bit ago. If you are flying in, Burbank is the airport you want. Its about 5 miles. LAX is about 26 miles or something like that. I've never been there, so I can't speak to the local area. I'll be flying down from Portland and was looking at flights and discovered Burbank is much closer.
    Gorge
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,443
    Make sure you do a lot of research for your trip....hotels in L.A. are pricey, and public transportation isn't up to par with other major cities. If you can rustle-up the dough to stay close to the venue, you will be near a subway station, which will make it a bit easier to get around. Keep in mind that the subway mainly serves to Hollywood/Mid-City/Downtown areas, so you will need to take buses of you want to go to the beach, Beverly Hills, UCLA, Disneyland, etc.
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    there are 2 hotel at universal...the sheraton and hilton...down the hill is a holiday inn...a few miles away in studio city is the sportsman's lodge....if you're flying in consider burbank airport...it's 10-15 from universal and there are a couple hotels there

hotels farther away are in glendale or hollywood

do you know what the prices are on these hotel rooms sheraton and hilton? holiday inn doesnt sound too bad, is it within 10 miles from the venue? id have to guess holiday inn would have rooms for $75 or so a night? i just dont want to pay ridiculous hotel prices, i know LA has some real expensive hotels.
  • Options
    gotz idgotz id Posts: 125
    and does anyone know about extended stay hotels for maybe $250-$300 for a weekly price? they have these all over vegas, i hear there is some like these in LA? or decent hotels for $75 or less night in the area?
    L.A is NOT Vegas. Things are a little different.
    I wish I was the 10Club holiday single, the one that never showed up...

• Options
    y
    I was mapquesting a bit ago. If you are flying in, Burbank is the airport you want. Its about 5 miles. LAX is about 26 miles or something like that. I've never been there, so I can't speak to the local area. I'll be flying down from Portland and was looking at flights and discovered Burbank is much closer.
    thanks for this information. i will try to book my flight from vegas to burbank instead then, i think southwest fly to both places in la from vegas. 26 mile is kind of far without a car
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Make sure you do a lot of research for your trip....hotels in L.A. are pricey, and public transportation isn't up to par with other major cities. If you can rustle-up the dough to stay close to the venue, you will be near a subway station, which will make it a bit easier to get around. Keep in mind that the subway mainly serves to Hollywood/Mid-City/Downtown areas, so you will need to take buses of you want to go to the beach, Beverly Hills, UCLA, Disneyland, etc.

ya that is why i ask about hotels. i know some are pricy in LA. so near the venue like the holiday inn, is not too expensive? i am not really interested in going to beverly hills or ucla or nothing

this is strictly a pearl jam trip really. so like to stay close to venue for as cheap as possible if i can. the only thing that might sound like fun is the beach, but that would be a day that pj isnt playin we would go to beach maybe the day before or day after. but i want to be close to venue if possible.

what is this holiday inn down the hill? it is in unversal city? does anyone have adress? i will try to google seach it

anyone know other good hotels in area, for less than $80 a night? i hate expensive hotels, cause most arent worth the price. i am here in vegas right now, you can get a 500 dollar room at wynn ya it really nice, but you can get a great room at say flamingo or rio for 80 or so a night which is just as good. that is what im trying to find in LA, somethin that will be nice but not a ripoff. i dont do much in the hotel anyway except sleep :lol:
  • Options
    holiday inn....cobain stayed there a lot :D

http://www.beverlygarland.com/
  • Options
    norm wrote:

this is pricy for a holiday inn it 158 a night. i was hoping for about half that price

would hilton and sheraton be about the same as holiday inn? i guess i have to stay there if i have not many options for hotels in the area, since if i was to take cabs from somewhere far that would be expensive too. la sucks for transportation? what does the subway in LA do, is there some cheaper hotels you might know of, near subway stops?

i have never ever been to LA, so i need to start to google stuff lol. i usualy have a car when i go to pj shows, or they play somewhere, that has easy transportation like toronto and montreal, the subway and downtown where the shit was super easy. i have seen pj 28 times lol
  • Options
    PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    Hi Norm!!! :waves:
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,649
    norm wrote:

would hilton and sheraton be about the same as holiday inn? i lol

I'm at the hilton - its slightly more then the holiday inn.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    Stay at the Universal Hilton.book it now, before it fills up.food and venue and large outdoor shopping area are almost walking distance from the hotel.........
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • Options
    norm wrote:

this is pricy for a holiday inn it 158 a night. i was hoping for about half that price

would hilton and sheraton be about the same as holiday inn? i guess i have to stay there if i have not many options for hotels in the area, since if i was to take cabs from somewhere far that would be expensive too. la sucks for transportation? what does the subway in LA do, is there some cheaper hotels you might know of, near subway stops?

i have never ever been to LA, so i need to start to google stuff lol. i usualy have a car when i go to pj shows, or they play somewhere, that has easy transportation like toronto and montreal, the subway and downtown where the shit was super easy. i have seen pj 28 times lol

try the hotel near burbank airport....they might be cheaper and the cab ride from there is like 15 bucks

if you want to try the subways, there is a stop at universal....so you can try hollywood or downtown la

do some googling and see what you find and ask us...also, we have a resident travel agent here (pearljgirl2010)...see might be able to help :D
  • Options
    cindylcindyl Posts: 63
    deadmantalking says-only way to go cheap is to get room near metro,lots of dives along hollywood blvd, hollywood vagabond inn on hw and vine aint to creepy and its just a couple block walk up vine to metro,you can catch a bus to santa monica pier/venice beach[must see] right on the corner at hotel ,last time i was in LA i stayed at the standerd on sunset and the valet er borrowed my rental, still aint paid the f'in parking tix they rang me up for.dont know if topango ranch motel in malibu still open, was 75 per night and across street from beach if you get a car,
  • Options
    Crazy LarryCrazy Larry Posts: 183
    anyone use the mta from lax? how is that?
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,103
    If you can fly into Burbank, that would be easier.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    Crazy LarryCrazy Larry Posts: 183
    flying into burbank is $260, lax is $120. use of mta = no rental car. just wondering if it is safe? easy to use?
  • Options
    flying into burbank is $260, lax is $120. use of mta = no rental car. just wondering if it is safe? easy to use?

i've never used mta but it's as safe as any major city...probably take an hour to an hour and a half to get to universal via bus
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,272

norm is right. its like any other city. a little crowded depending on the time but still gets you to where you need to be!
  • Options
    the Chadthe Chad Posts: 65
    LA Hotels...

The Four Seasons Beverly Wilshire is only $485.00 a night. A great location and you can have Dinner right in the Hotel at CUT, the Best Steakhouse in LA. They have Rolls Royce Hotel Cars that may be able to drop you off at the show...

Also check out the Standard http://www.standardhotels.com/los-angeles/

Another LA spot I really enjoy is the Four Seasons Beverly Hills, different then the Beverly Wilshire, it is tucked away in the BH residential neighborhood http://www.fourseasons.com/losangeles/ The Lobby Bar is fabulous!
    Just down the street on Robertson is the IVY a great place to sit outside and have a Margarita

Also if you are going to the Oct 1st show, you can hang around on Friday Oct 2nd and check out the Dodgers vs Rockies at Dodger Stadium, always good times at Chavez Ravine

I love LA + PJ :D
  • Options
    When I was in LA for the Vedder Wilshire concerts, he stayed at the W in Westwood (at least thats what I heard the bartender outside saying.), great pool scene.
    Gorge
  • Options
    I've used the metro from LAX to Burbank, and it works well. It's a good (cheap) way to go. Taxis are outrageous here.
  • Options
    JenfarrJenfarr Posts: 643
    Question for the natives...which gets me closer the the Gibson Ampritheater, Preferred Parking or Valet Parking at CityWalk. I'm coming directly from LAX (Burbank times didn't work and no direct flights), and I'm cutting it close time-wise, so I want to park as close as possible. And it seems like the regualr pakrig lot is a far walk.

Also, I found a Comfort Inn in North Hollywood that got good ratings that is under 5 miles away for $93 a night (AAA rate). The Sheraton got horrible reviews (ANTS!) and the Hilton is $160 a night, and we are economizing this trip.
    "McCready played on, lending credence to the theory that he was actually built in Stone’s basement from spare truck parts and vinyl records." - Glide Mag. review of MSG 7/8/03
  • Options
    Jenfarr wrote:
    Question for the natives...which gets me closer the the Gibson Ampritheater, Preferred Parking or Valet Parking at CityWalk. I'm coming directly from LAX (Burbank times didn't work and no direct flights), and I'm cutting it close time-wise, so I want to park as close as possible. And it seems like the regualr pakrig lot is a far walk.

the parking structure is pretty close to the venue if i remember correctly....there is also parking for citywalk but that is farther away....if time is of the essence and you don't mind paying, use valet :D
  • Options
    Thanks norm.
    "McCready played on, lending credence to the theory that he was actually built in Stone’s basement from spare truck parts and vinyl records." - Glide Mag. review of MSG 7/8/03
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,272
    Jenfarr wrote:

Also, I found a Comfort Inn in North Hollywood that got good ratings that is under 5 miles away for $93 a night (AAA rate). The Sheraton got horrible reviews (ANTS!) and the Hilton is $160 a night, and we are economizing this trip.

preferred is pretty close cuz you can take the escalator right up to the universal studios entrance by the giant globe. thats the only entrance to the venue and its a hike from the gate to the actual ampitheatre! :shock: Now if you are VIP or PIT......you get to avoid all this nonsense and go directly to the entrance by the movie theatre! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    From what I've read it sounds like Preferred is closer, I just don't want to waste alot of time walking from the lot. Not VIP, but maybe PIT since I have 10C tix! :D But I need to pick those up from the box office.
  • Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    last time I was in LA I stayed at the Standard on Sunset. I think it was like $300 a night though, but it was an awesome hotel and there was a ton to do outside of it. For those not from LA, like me, ithat hotel makes LA about what you expect LA to be like when you go there.

I got to looking before I went and found that there is no such thing as a cheap hotel in the area unless you want to be somewhere you might get shot. So I just figured if I was going to stay somewhere, I might as well stay somewhere nice for a 25 year old.