Options

LA HOTELS/VENUE/FOODS

Comments

• Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,645
    i'm flying into lax from austin because it's cheaper and much faster that way. what's the easiest way to get to universal by public transportation? i heard the train ride takes like 2+ hours. i'm hoping my buddy can pick me up but just in case.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    ComeToTX wrote:
    i'm flying into lax from austin because it's cheaper and much faster that way. what's the easiest way to get to universal by public transportation? i heard the train ride takes like 2+ hours. i'm hoping my buddy can pick me up but just in case.

since there is a sheraton and hilton there there must be shuttles to universal...check around...other than that there is always super shuttle :)
  • Options
    breath123breath123 Posts: 397
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but

the metro (subway) stops across the street from universal

you could stay almost anywhere in Hollywood and take a quick, safe ride to universal. it doesn't run that late so if you want to party after the show, my advice would be to take it back to hollywood.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,645
    norm wrote:
    ComeToTX wrote:

since there is a sheraton and hilton there there must be shuttles to universal...check around...other than that there is always super shuttle :)

thanks! super shuttle is $20 so that's a good option.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    Hey ComeToTX...I am looking for a tik to any of the LA dates, I live right down the street from Universal. I could help with rides and such. Let me know if you are interested..Thanks..Christina:)
  • Options
    surfanddestroysurfanddestroy Posts: 2,786
    breath123 wrote:
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but

the metro (subway) stops across the street from universal

you could stay almost anywhere in Hollywood and take a quick, safe ride to universal. it doesn't run that late so if you want to party after the show, my advice would be to take it back to hollywood.

Agreed, when I was there last year stopped in West Hollywood and found it really easy and cheap to get to universal via the Metro, it was $5 for a day ticket.

Will be stopping at the same place this year so it will be metro all the way for me.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
    Eccch what a mess. I've lived in LA (the Valley) all of my life. Burbank is definitely the preferred airport. For those who don't know, the trip from LAX to the Universal City area can be a Cluster F--K of biblical proportions. Anything that involves the 405 is a bad plan. It can take 1.5 - 2 hours to go on the 405 from LAX over to the 101 E. Burbank on the other hans is a breeze. Really small and easy to use airport. Minutes away from Universal. Look up LA Metro. The Red Line stpos at Universal. So if you want cheap, consider some place in Hollywood along the Red line. I heard you say this was a PJ only trip. So do that. Look at a map of the Red line. Union Station (Downtown) to Universal on the red line is about 45 minutes. Not sure when the last trains are but check the site. Metro trains and subways are clean and safe. The busses are sewers with wheels. Safe, I guess but man... complicated routes and you will get nowhere fast. They have a trip planner and check out the departure and arrival times. You can take 2-4 hours, lots of switching busses, lots of waiting. Blecccch. Also, LA is not like Vegas, Chicago or New York. You wont find a taxi just about anywhere. You can stand at a street and not see one for a very long time. They do lurk around major hotels and if you know where a hotel is, better chance of finding one. Places to eat... In n Out Burger (Any), Tommy's at Rampart & Beverly (Burgers also), Chinese Friends in Chinatown at Bernard & Broadway, if you make it to Newport Beach, Crab Cooker and Sabatino's Lido Sausage Co are great. So is Mallarky's which is a great bar and breakfast hole. They have wonderful SOS. Any beach in Santa Monica bay is not too far from where all the turds in LA go to sea. Pass. Take Pacific Coast Highway north and after Kanan RD, maqke a left on Westward and go to the end at Pt Dume (Westward Beach). You'll say, I've seen this place a billion times in the movies and on TV. Really nice. Also, Corona Del Mar and Crystal Cove near Newport is great. If you really have time, spend a day at Catalina Island. So beautiful in October. Hope this helps.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    Hey ComeToTX...I am looking for a tik to any of the LA dates, I live right down the street from Universal. I could help with rides and such. Let me know if you are interested..Thanks..Christina:)

i have 1 extra ticket for LA night 2 for sale face value which is $87. it not fan club since i used that for night 1, but its still a pretty good ticket im guessing since the venue is really small its LOG 21 ROW M. if interested email me at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:pearljamvegasya@hotmail.com">pearljamvegasya@hotmail.com</a><!-- e -->

Thank You
  • Options
    anyone here that live in LA, how far is it by car from West Hollywood to the Universal venue where PJ is playing?
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    I have some Marriott points so i'll probably be staying at the downtown Burbank Residence Inn, but would prefer somewhere near a metro so I don't have to drive.
    I saw that there was a Renaissance Hollywood Hotel and Spa available but i'm not sure how far away that is from a metro stop? Does anyone know?
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Here's my revised post from a similar thread which is no longer on the front page:

I've lived in L.A. for 20 months. I am car-free, which allows me to afford rent in So Cal.

If you fly into LAX airport: Take the nice "LAX Flyaway" shuttle bus to Union Station for just $4. It is not a regular city bus. It's tourist quality, with cushy seats. A worker will put your suitcases underneath for you. It takes 30-40 minutes, depending on traffic. The route is direct and without stops. The bus drives on the highest-speed carpool and bus lanes of the freeway. When you exit the airport, go to the little cement islands between the 2 lanes of traffic. Look at the overhead signs for the LAX Flyaway. The bus you want must have the 'Union Station' sign on it. It arrives every 30 minutes- Starting at the first terminal (Southwest Airlines, etc) on the half hour, getting to the last terminal within ten minutes. There are several terminals, but they are mostly in a neat line. When you get to beautiful Union Station with its lovely trees, ask someone to point out where the subway is. At the subway, you can buy a day pass. Then take the Red Line to Universal City (Or Hollywood, Mid Wilshire, etc.)

Save your money and do not rent a car. Look for a hotel on the subway line (Universal City, Walk of Fame area of Hollywood, Downtown L.A.) The Red Line subway has a stop right at the bottom of the hill to Universal Studios/Universal Citywalk. The subway is cheap, fast, and clean. A day pass is just $5, giving unlimited rides on most subways, buses and trains.

I stayed at 2 subway-accessible hotels in November of 2007: I cannot recommend the Ramada on Vermont Ave. in Hollywood. Staff had major attitude, rooms were microscopic, 'free' local calls were $1 each. Crusty neighbourhood.
    I do recommend the Best Western Hollywood Hills on Franklin Ave. Ginormous rooms, nice staff, better location (especially if you walk along Franklin east of the hotel towards ritzy Los Feliz.) It's 2 blocks uphill from the Vine Street Metro stop, if you can handle the climb. It's close to Griffith Park, where you can see the entire L.A. basin from the grounds of Griffith Observatory. The observatory, grounds, and museum are free, but public shuttle only runs on weekends, so you might need a cab for 5 or 10 minutes. Eastern end of the park has the L.A. Zoo, which is as gorgeous and various as the world-renowned San Diego Zoo. EXCEPT that it is half the size, so you can see everything in one day instead of two. Accessing the park will require a bus ride.

I live on the subway line in Mid Wilshire/Koreatown. My mum and her husband recently stayed nearby at the JJ Grand at the intersection of Wilshire Blvd. and Harvard Avenue. They got the online rate of $102. They said it was good. It had FAR better reviews than the larger, more expensive "Wilshire Plaza" right at the subway stop (3 blocks closer.)

I personally LOVE downtown Los Angeles. I have not rented a hotel room there in a decade, so I can't make recommendations. But the business district is full of old and new architecture to explore. The Westin Bonaventure has little walkways connecting it to other tall buildings. The 444 Building (used as the setting for LA Law) and Library Tower (Tallest building west of Vegas at 1077 feet) are connected by lovely rooftop gardens, and a long stairway waterfall. A few blocks east is Pershing Square Park. It has stunning views of the office towers, the ritzy old brick Wilshire hotel. It's also a funky Art Park, with its famous 6 foot high cement balls. There are two 4 star hotels by the 7th street Metro stop. Also right there is "7th & Fig," (short for Figueroa street) a nice open-air shopping centre with an extensive food court. There's a large selection of food court-type shops in the underground mall under the Twin Towers, too. Remember that the business district runs on business hours. It is DEAD by 8 pm, and the shops all close early.
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • Options
    DS114969 wrote:
    I saw that there was a Renaissance Hollywood Hotel and Spa available but i'm not sure how far away that is from a metro stop? Does anyone know?

It's right there above the subway stop! Both are part of the Hollywood/Highland mega structure which consists of the Kodak Theatre, Mann's Chinese, the five level open air mall, and that hotel. With the exception of Mann's, two square city blocks were razed in the late 90s to construct more tacky touristy good times! It's literally Hollywood's "renaissance."

You'll only to need to take the Red Line north one stop under the hollywood hills to arrive at Universal City! Simple.
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • Options
    i booked my flight from vegas to burbank. which i hear is alot better, avoid the headache and traffic of lax. now im just looking to book a hotel room somewhere near the venue, i searched universal city hotels. i see alot of ones fairly cheap from $80-$120 a night which is good, compared to some i saw that are like $300 a night. if i book something that like 3 or 4 miles away, will it be pretty easy to catch a cab or call one to the hotel and they come pretty easily? i also trying to find some within walking distance, i think i saw a holiday inn express that said 2 miles from universal city that was like $120 a night

i saw the ramada inn for $70 a night but after reading all teh reviews on it i would not stay in it.

i guess oncei book my hotel room, the only other thing i need is some pot, anyone have a cali medi card for it willing to sell some? i dont drink, but it nice to have some smoke :lol:
  • Options
    and how is the venue for smoking in it, is it smoker friendly? i know all venues you ar not allowed to smoke in, but i have seen pearl jam 28 times, and most venues security doesnt give a flying fuck if they see people smoking some pot :lol:

i think in montreal i didnt need to smoke if i didnt want to i probably could of got buzzed on the 2nd hand smoke there was so much of it :lol:
  • Options
    anyone here that live in LA, how far is it by car from West Hollywood to the Universal venue where PJ is playing?

West Hollywood is a congested area so what looks like a short distance can take quite some time if you do it during rush hour. One route is to take Crescent Heights north and it will become Laurel Canyon. Take that North to the 101 E. 101 E will get you to Universal.

You can also take Sunset East to Highland and make a left (North) to the 101 N. You'll immediately get onn and then off the 101 at Universal. This route takes you through the most congested cluster-f*k of an area, namely Hollywood. Maybe you'll want to see that, people obviously do. I take a blood pressure pill before I do.

I can't give you an exact time because the traffic is horrible and I don't know what time of the day you're driving.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    DS114969 wrote:
    I have some Marriott points so i'll probably be staying at the downtown Burbank Residence Inn, but would prefer somewhere near a metro so I don't have to drive.

That is close to the venue. I would drive that. Olive st cuts right across to the Universal area. Few minutes, maybe 10 to 15 max. Look at it this way, look at a map. There is a small mountain range called the Santa Monica Mountains that stretches from Griffith Park westward to Camarillo. Places like West Hollywood, LA, Hollywood, etc are on one side of the mountains and Glendale, Burbank, Studio City, Encino, Tarzana, etc are on the other side. Crossing the mountains is like crossing water. There are few crossings. Like bridges. Traffic is hell. Universal is on the North flank of the mountains, on the Burbank side. The North side is generally more suburban and less congested as opposed to places like West Hollywood. So being on the "right" side of the mountains in Burbank, you can do well with a car. Or a taxi.

If I remember, there is a Residence Inn on either Barham or Forest Lawn Drive. I forgot. I think the area would be called Hollywood Hills. If that has availability, it is close to Universal. Very close. Not walking distance but maybe 2-4 miles I'd say. Have you checked that out?
  • Options
    people from LA i have questions about hotels. i narrowed it down to 5 hotels i would be looking to stay at for the prices. i am going to post all 5 then ask some questions
    days inn studio city 12933 Ventura Blvd., Studio City, CA US 9160412933 Ventura Blvd., Studio City, CA US 91604
    3.56miles 90dollars

comfort inn and suites 2010 N. Highland Avenue, Hollywood, CA 2.37miles 80dollars

holiday inn beverly garland

4222 Vineland Avenue, Hollywood, CA US 91602 1.12miles 145dollars

Holiday Inn Express LOS ANGELES-UNIV CTY-CAHUENGA 3241 CAHUENGA BLVD, Los Angeles, CA US 90068 .83miles 135dollar

Days Inn Hollywood Near Universal Studios 7023 Sunset Blvd, Hollywood, CA US 90028 2.88mile 110dollar

The 2 holiday inns are within walking distance to the venue right? on the hotel sites they both said .83 mile and 1.12 mile which is not far to walk. the other 3 seem a little far to walk 2.5-3.5 miles just a little too much walking.

if i was to stay at one of the 3 hotels that are not holiday inns, will it be tricky to catch a cab? and what are the cab rates like? i mean for example i can pay 90 a night to stay 3 miles away, instead of 140 a night at one of the holiday inns. but if its gonna cost me 20 buck cab ride each way, then adding up the money, it will just be better off to stay at one of the 2 holiday inns?

and between the 2 holiday inns, is one of them better than the other or they both about the same quality? the vineland avenue one is 10 buck more for some reason but they both about same distance to venue and i can walk?

also how are restaurants/shopping/and nightlife clubs in the area of all 5 of these hotels, especialy like to know about the holiday inn ones

i wont have a car with me, so the closer stuff is to walk like to the venue, restaurants, nightlife i what i am really looking for

is the best bet to stay at one of the 2 holiday inn ones?

and if i was to stay at say comfort suites that 3 miles away, and get a cab , can the traffic be a clusterfuck and take an hour or some bullshit to drive 3 miles??????
  • Options
    the beverly garland is a good hotel although i've never stayed there but i had friends stay there and they said it was fine....not sure about the other holiday inn or the days inn

as for walking...remember that universal is on top of a hill so there is a steep climb if you're walking...but if you're cool with that i'd recommend the beverly garland

night life? well citywalk is next to the gibson and there is a bb kings blues club and a hard rock among other restaurants and shops...there are other bars along ventura near the beverly garland

have checked the prices on the hilton or sheraton? both are right next to the gibson and if the prices aren't that much different, you might want to consider that
  • Options
    hi Norm. i checked info about sheraton and hilton. sheraton is more expensive than hilton, and i read some reviews that its a older hotel in need of remodelling and some of the hotel reviews people gave sheraton wasnt very good. and its more expensive than hilton by about $30. and hilton is more expensive than holiday inn garland by only $20.

so im thinking of staying at the hilton universal city now. if i stay there, the pj venue they are playing at is right next door or across the street to walk to? and there a bunch of restaurants and stuff there as good as if i stayed at the holiday inn garland?

so im narrowed it down to staying between hilton universal city or the holiday in garland. both are pretty nice hotels right? cause like the sheraton one is the most expensive and like i said some reviews on it were not good that its a older hotel in need of being fixed.

i am only 26 year old, so walking up a steep hill for .8 miles is not a big deal to me, but for another 20 or 30 bucks i guess mine as well stay ath the hilton? is hilton as nice as holiday inn garland?
  • Options
    hi Norm. i checked info about sheraton and hilton. sheraton is more expensive than hilton, and i read some reviews that its a older hotel in need of remodelling and some of the hotel reviews people gave sheraton wasnt very good. and its more expensive than hilton by about $30. and hilton is more expensive than holiday inn garland by only $20.

so im thinking of staying at the hilton universal city now. if i stay there, the pj venue they are playing at is right next door or across the street to walk to? and there a bunch of restaurants and stuff there as good as if i stayed at the holiday inn garland?

so im narrowed it down to staying between hilton universal city or the holiday in garland. both are pretty nice hotels right? cause like the sheraton one is the most expensive and like i said some reviews on it were not good that its a older hotel in need of being fixed.

i am only 26 year old, so walking up a steep hill for .8 miles is not a big deal to me, but for another 20 or 30 bucks i guess mine as well stay ath the hilton? is hilton as nice as holiday inn garland?

I have been to that Hilton for business meetings. Never stayed there. It's nice. And the location can't be beat with regard to proximity to Universal Studios, Citywalk and the Gibson. Also, not too far from the Red-Line stop so if you wanted to get into Hollywood, LA and other places, you wouldn't need a car. For example, You could take the Red-Line from Universal to the LA Downtown 7th & Figueroa stop, connect to the Blue Line and take it to Long Beach where the aquarium, rainbow harbor is. So I'd say that Universal Hilton gets you good proximity to the concert, and good proximity to accessing other things. I would strongly recommend flying into Burbank. Just minutes away. Burbank airport is totally easy and uncomplicated. After obtaining your baggage, you can be at the Hilton within 15 minutes.
  • Options

I have been to that Hilton for business meetings. Never stayed there. It's nice. And the location can't be beat with regard to proximity to Universal Studios, Citywalk and the Gibson. Also, not too far from the Red-Line stop so if you wanted to get into Hollywood, LA and other places, you wouldn't need a car. For example, You could take the Red-Line from Universal to the LA Downtown 7th & Figueroa stop, connect to the Blue Line and take it to Long Beach where the aquarium, rainbow harbor is. So I'd say that Universal Hilton gets you good proximity to the concert, and good proximity to accessing other things. I would strongly recommend flying into Burbank. Just minutes away. Burbank airport is totally easy and uncomplicated. After obtaining your baggage, you can be at the Hilton within 15 minutes.

ok thank you for the info, i think i will either stay at hilton or at the holiday inn express thati posted. norm said that beverly garland is walking distance up a steep hill, but i hear there is no restaurants really near the beverly garland is this true?
    yes i am flying into burbank already booked my ticket
  • Options
    I don't know the Beverly Garland. Sorry. I hope you enjoy your stay!
  • Options
    ok thank you for the info, i think i will either stay at hilton or at the holiday inn express thati posted. norm said that beverly garland is walking distance up a steep hill, but i hear there is no restaurants really near the beverly garland is this true?
    yes i am flying into burbank already booked my ticket

there is a restaruant at the beverly garland but if i were you i'd stay at the hilton...everything is right there :D
  • Options
    smaksmak Posts: 232
    If you're just staying 1 or 2 nights, the $20 extra will be so worth it because you'll be within walking distance of a lot of stuff to do, at other times besides concert time.

I live right by the Beverly garland, and besides the hotel restaurant, there is a little shopping center that has a Togo's, a City Wok and that's about it for food.

It's also an awkward walk, because the freeway and L.A river block a direct walk.
  • Options
    JW0422JW0422 Posts: 170
    I have stayed at the hilton a number of times it is a ok hotel, all you have to do is walk across the street and you are at Universal, I also stayed at the Sheraton and it is not worth the money I didn't like it, as far as things to do after the show the citywalk as previously mentioned is right next to the Gibson amp. there are many places to eat and bars and shops, pretty nice, also a movie theater there. I always enjoy my time in LA!
  • Options
    are the wildfires near the venue at all? i am in vegas and i can smell the smoke all the way out here
  • Options
    heyjoseheyjose Melbourne, Australia Posts: 503
    norm wrote:

there is a restaruant at the beverly garland but if i were you i'd stay at the hilton...everything is right there :D

Have booked the Hilton for our entire LA stay (coming over from Oz) in the hope that I can find a spare for LA2. Looks like a good enough hotel - can't wait!
    1995: Melbourne 1
    1998: Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2003: Sydney 1, 2, 3, Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2006: Sydney 1, 2, Melbourne 1, 2, 3, Sydney 3, Newcastle, Adelaide 1, 2, Perth
    2009: LA 1, 2, Melbourne, Sydney
    2014: Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney

• Options
    are the wildfires near the venue at all? i am in vegas and i can smell the smoke all the way out here

No, the wildfires are not close. They are 15 miles to the Northeast and moving Northward. The prevailing winds have been from the Southwest and Las Vegas is Northeast of the fires so that's why you smell the smoke. Beginning mid September and lasting through March, there is always a chance of a "Santa Ana Wind" event. These are the ones that most people associate with Southern California fires. These winds are strong, hot and dry, and come from a Northerly to Northeasterly direction. October is a prime month for these winds. However, Universal is in a fairly protected area with respect to the fire impact from these winds. People more at risk are below mountains and canyons which are to the North. With respect to weather around the time of the LA shows, it can be anything from highs in the 60's to highs in the upper 90's or even low 100's. If a Santa Ana event is in progress, it would be on the high side of the scale. At that time, the air is often dry with a large disparity between the high and low temperatures. You can have a high in the upper 80's and a low in the upper 40's or low 50's. So if you are out both day and night, prepare for both hot and cold. Here is the best source of information: www.wrh.noaa.gov/lox This is the Los Angeles area office of the National Weather Service. Keep in mind that because Southern California has a varied geography, it has varied weather, even on the same day. For example, Santa Monica could have a high of 65 on a day that Los Angeles is 80 and Universal is 90, When you look at the forecast, Universal is in the San Fernando Valley. LA, West Hollywood is considered "coastal plain, inland".
  • Options
    Hunger StrikeHunger Strike Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 229
    BrainofJ and I are staying at the Hilton Universal it's right down the hill from the entrance. We're not renting a car, which is a lot of $$ for just a couple of days. So when you figure the price of a car rental for a couple of days and parking, the price of Universal is totally worth it. And, we don't have to worry about paying for parking, gas, driving while having fun, etc. If we want to go anywhere else, we'll take a taxi or public transport. See you there, shows 1 & 2!

And Universal has buy one day get one free, and it's a pretty good time!
  • Options
    Here is my situation. I am flying in from Portland with my wife for the 10/1 show. We are flying into Burbank and staying with my wife's brother in Westwood. We do not arrive until about 4:30pm, so we do not have time to get to Westwood to drop off luggage. Which means we need to rent a car to keep our luggage in. So I will be driving from Burbank to Universal City. Can anyone give me ideas or options for parking in the area. I know its better not to drive, but because of our timeline, we felt the need to rent a car. Thanks in advance!
    Gorge