Options

New "Get Some" a clear Devo ripoff

124»

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,313
    Zidane wrote:
    Congrats! You win a Pearl Jam magnet that you can stick on your fridge!!!!!!!
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    jimbojones1138jimbojones1138 Posts: 3,640
    "hey...DEVO!!!"
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Maybe Pearl Jam will do a scooter ad too ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRrAuANh ... re=related
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    jimed14 wrote:
    Maybe Pearl Jam will do a scooter ad too ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRrAuANh ... re=related

wow jim you just blew my mind...i had totally forgot that :shock:

i can see it now.....rearviewmirror for the smart car :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    ripoff huh?.....has anyone seen the writing credits for 'got some'?

that's what i thought

;):mrgreen:
  • Options
    tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    Have any of you people, that are saying this song is a rip off of a Devo song, stopped to think that maybe Devo heard this Pearl Jam song in 2009, built a time machine, and then traveled back to the 70's and recorded a song kind of like it.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,483
    i don't hear it.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Have any of you people, that are saying this song is a rip off of a Devo song, stopped to think that maybe Devo heard this Pearl Jam song in 2009, built a time machine, and then traveled back to the 70's and recorded a song kind of like it.

Of everything I've ever read in my entire life... This seems the most plausible. :lol:
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    thecorythecory Posts: 290
    Allan Cross did a show on a topic like this a while back. It's definitely worth looking up if you get a chance. He compares a lot of songs by other bands, and he goes through some cases that actually ended up in lawsuits.

Some of them are:
    Offspring/Beatles
    Chillie Peppers/Tom Petty
    Nickleback/Nickleback

A lot of pearl jam songs have been influenced by others:
    Bushleaguer - I believe in Miracles
    Ledbetter - Little Wing
    Given To Fly - Goin' to Callifornia
    I Got Shit - Cinamon Girl
    Got Some - That Devo Song?
    Footsteps - Times of Trouble (doesn't really count)

For some reason I feel like this list is missing something, but I can't put my finger on it???
    my friend was playing the alive solo for me and he says the main riff in the solo is straight out of a doors song
  • Options
    say_hisay_hi Posts: 311
    "Talent borrows, genius steals" - Oscar Wilde
    4/30/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/4/06 (Letterman Mini-Concert), 5/5/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10
  • Options
    thecory wrote:
    my friend was playing the alive solo for me and he says the main riff in the solo is straight out of a doors song

It's a Kiss song which Mike has openly acknowledged as being an homage to Ace Frehley. Can't remember the name of the song, but it's not even the entire song, just this one lick from a solo.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    ZidaneZidane Ottawa Posts: 362
    thecory wrote:
    Allan Cross did a show on a topic like this a while back. It's definitely worth looking up if you get a chance. He compares a lot of songs by other bands, and he goes through some cases that actually ended up in lawsuits.

Some of them are:
    Offspring/Beatles
    Chillie Peppers/Tom Petty
    Nickleback/Nickleback

A lot of pearl jam songs have been influenced by others:
    Bushleaguer - I believe in Miracles
    Ledbetter - Little Wing
    Given To Fly - Goin' to Callifornia
    I Got Shit - Cinamon Girl
    Got Some - That Devo Song?
    Footsteps - Times of Trouble (doesn't really count)

For some reason I feel like this list is missing something, but I can't put my finger on it???

Here's the quote from the "100 greatest guitar solos" that Guitar World released back in 98:
    Alive, #44, McCready:
    “Basically, I copied Ace Frehley’s solo from ‘She,’ ” says Pearl Jam guitarist Mike McCready. “Which, of course, was copied from Robby Krieger’s solo in the Doors’ ‘Five to One.’ ”

Don't worry, it seems that you're not crazy!
    You're not what you own - Ian MacKaye, Fugazi

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    05 - Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    09 - Toronto, Philly (Show #3-4)
    10 - Cleveland
    11 - Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa
    13 - London (ON), Philly (x2)
    16 - QC - Ottawa

• Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,750
    Scary similar, but a 'clear ripoff' not-so-much...
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    Zidane wrote:
    Here's the quote from the "100 greatest guitar solos" that Guitar World released back in 98:
    Alive, #44, McCready:
    “Basically, I copied Ace Frehley’s solo from ‘She,’ ” says Pearl Jam guitarist Mike McCready. “Which, of course, was copied from Robby Krieger’s solo in the Doors’ ‘Five to One.’ ”

Nice find.
  • Options
    ZidaneZidane Ottawa Posts: 362
    HeavyHands wrote:
    Zidane wrote:
    Alive, #44, McCready:

Nice find.

Don't know why but I just remembered that quote. I remember bying the issue back in 98 and going through all the solos to see if McCready was in there. Let's say I was a bit disapointed to see his quote; I was expecting a more interesting story behind the solos 'cause everyone else had a great one for their own solos! That's how stupid you can be when you're 18! It's at the same time that I got interested in old bands, especially punk bands like Minuteman, The Clash, Gang of Four and Fugazi (which were still around) and that I could see how many bands were taking ideas from older bands. I already had a great idea of what "ripping off" meant when Creed and bands like Godsmack showed up and basically "stealing" everything from Pearl Jam and Alice In Chains... in a really bad way. But others were just pushing the enveloppe in a better way. PJ was a good exemple with Satan's Bed which could've been a Dead Boys song. Soundgarden with Sabbath, Radiohead with Pink Floyd and Talking Heads, etc.

That's why I don't really care if PJ's new song sounds a bit like Devo because I see it more as a sign of respect and (maybe) trying to diverse the public into other bands that should have more respect than a sign of wanting to steal something out of them.
    You're not what you own - Ian MacKaye, Fugazi

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    05 - Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    09 - Toronto, Philly (Show #3-4)
    10 - Cleveland
    11 - Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa
    13 - London (ON), Philly (x2)
    16 - QC - Ottawa

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,074
    the difference here is that pearl jam do not wear flower pots on their heads :lol::lol::lol:

i've alway's wanted to see pearl jam wearing flower pots on their heads! :|

:lol:
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    Zidane wrote:
    That's why I don't really care if PJ's new song sounds a bit like Devo because I see it more as a sign of respect and (maybe) trying to diverse the public into other bands that should have more respect than a sign of wanting to steal something out of them.

This is a good point.
    Pearl Jam has always worn their influences on their sleeve. I've always felt that this was more of a nod to their influences rather than a complete rip off.

Ed mentioned in either the Rolling Stone article or the Jools Holland interview -I can't remember which one- that Pearl Jam was merely an extention of past bands like The Who, Neil Young, Beatles and The Stones. They work from the foundation built by these past artists and come up with something all their own.

There is a big difference between the way Pearl Jam approaches this and the way Creed or Nickelback approach it.
  • Options
    jimc3jimc3 Posts: 230
    there's a line between a real "ripoff" and direct "influences" that can sometimes be hard to pin down.

I see this as a pretty similar situation to 'Spin the Black Circle' (arguably PJ's premiere punk tune). It's very close to Husker Du's 'Beyond the Threshold', from the legendary Zen Arcade, an album quite like Q: Are We not Men? A: We are Devo! in the sense that both are seminal alternative punk albums from well-respected but not crazy-popular bands. I think if rock bands today are leaning twords those types of influences, to me that is a very good thing. did anyone get all up in arms when Kurt Cobain literally admitted that 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' was a direct attempt at a ripoff of the Pixies?
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    edited June 2009
    You know, after all these years of Rock music, big deal.

I have always enjoyed hearing PJ's influences come through. They pay homage to the people that laid the ground work. Good for them. Is it any secret that Pearl Jam were heavily influenced by Punk? Devo is a great band and if you are going to pay homage or be influenced by a band, why not a band like Devo? Pretty sure that is a DEVO t-shirt Ed is wearing.

EddieVeddera_Mazur_16647328.jpg
    Post edited by PJ_Lukin on
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,749
    How anyone can say otherwise after having a listen needs their head examined. Listen to Devo's "Gut Feeling" AT LEAST until the 2 minute mark of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YievWIX9AKk

Then, listen to "Get Some" from Conan last night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9bScneEUOs

It's as blatant as Jack White/White Stripes' "Hardest Button to Button" ripoff of seminal Detroit punk rocker Mick Collins and his old band The Gories' "Sovereignty Fight."

yeah...so?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    PJ_Lukin wrote:

I have always enjoyed hearing PJ's influences come through. They pay homage to the people that laid the ground work. Good for them. Is it any secret that Pearl Jam were heavily influenced by Punk? Devo is a great band and if you are going to pay homage or be influenced by a band, why not a band like Devo? Pretty sure that is a DEVO t-shirt Ed is wearing.

Nice find on that pic .... another band I love, Buffalo Tom, have covered DEVO live, and this picture reminded me that on the back of BT's debut album, drummer Tom MaGinnis wa swearing a DEVO shirt on the reverse side picture of the band ... can't find that pic on the back of the album on line but it was this album ...

buftom.jpg
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    I don't think they purposely set out to steal it, but the comparisons are very, very, very similar. Chord progression is pretty much identical, and the "Got some if you need it" sounds exactly like the "I got a gut feeling." Exact.

If they managed to avoid getting sued for Given to Fly, they can probably avoid getting sued for this one. Probably. :)
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    PJ_Lukin wrote:

RED HANDED!!
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    TWHoltTWHolt Moncton, NB Posts: 403
    Eddie was sporting the Devo t shirt last night in Albany!! :lol::lol:
    |Montreal 03|Halifax 05|St. John's 1 05|St. John's 2 05|Toronto 1 06|Toronto 2 06|NYC 1 08|NYC 2 08|Toronto 09|Hartford 10|Boston 10|Newark 10|NYC 1 10|NYC 2 10|Alpine Valley 1 11|Alpine Valley 2 11|Montreal 11|Hartford 13|Ottawa 16|Chicago 1 16|Chicago 2 16|Boston 1 18|Quebec City 22|Ottawa 22|Next~Boston 1 24|Next~Boston 2 24|
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,543
    If this has been mentioned, sorry......

"Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)" is a rock song by Neil Young. Combined with its acoustic counterpart "My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue)", it bookends Young's successful 1979 album Rust Never Sleeps. Inspired by proto-new wave group Devo, the rise of punk and what Young viewed as his own growing irrelevance, the song today crosses generations, inspiring admirers from punk to grunge and significantly revitalizing Young's then-faltering career. The song is about the alternatives of continuing to produce similar music ("to rust" or — in "My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue)" — "to fade away") or to burn out, as John Lydon of the Sex Pistols did by abandoning his Johnny Rotten persona.

A part of a lyric from the song, "it's better to burn out than to fade away," became infamous in modern rock after being quoted in Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain's suicide note. Young later said that he was so shaken that he dedicated his 1994 album Sleeps with Angels to Cobain.

"Out of the blue and into the black" was a Vietnam War-era phrase that originally referred to jumping out of the daylight into the darkness of a Vietcong tunnel, and was later generalized to refer to various situations, including death.

"Uncle Neil's" first recording of this song was with none other than Devo. :mrgreen:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,313
    CJMST3K wrote:
    PJ_Lukin wrote:

RED HANDED!!
    great foto!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”