Options

New "Get Some" a clear Devo ripoff

Comments

• Options
    Bugs29Bugs29 Posts: 96
    hahahaha.....Pearl Jam plays a better version though:)
  • Options
    SweetAndLowSweetAndLow Posts: 178
    Only the start of the French song and Guaranteed are similar (though Ed re-uses that intro as the basis for his song).
    2004: Toledo; Grand Rapids
    2006: Grand Rapids; Auburn Hills
    2009: Chicago
    2010: Columbus
    2011: East Troy (PJ20), both
    2013: Wrigley Field
    2014: Detroit
  • Options
    They should go back to ripping off Zeppelin ;)

I second that one. :)

That was a damn good rip off of "Going To California" they pulled off. ;)
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    I finally broke down and watched that Devo clip. Now I'm laughing my ass off. The two sound vaguely similar in parts. I guess. And I think I'm being charitible giving you that.

I mean, the choruses of both songs start with the words "I got." So that's something.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    jambayleafjambayleaf Posts: 646
    It's a carbon copy in my book. As soon as Ed started the chorus over and over, I was wondering if I was listening to a cover song. Seriously.

The melody, chord structure and lyrical cadence - right down to the same two-word chorus delivery - are exactly alike.

How apologists try to defend it, i don't know. I've been as big of a fan as anyone else here since 95, and of course I hear lots of other influences/chord structures/etc on other PJ songs, but this one song is blatantly ripped off.

Sorry, but it is.

And it pains to type that, because I still love the band and I know the album is gonna rock regardless - 99.7 percent of the people who listen will have no idea about Devo's song, just like 99.7 percent of the people out there have no idea The White Stripes' Hardest Button to Button is a complete ripoff of Detroit punker Mick Collins' work (and who knows, we don't know if Ed or someone in the band approached Devo about the song; after all, Jack White and Mick Collins are good friends and jam together).[/u]

Do you always post the same post in two different threads?

You wanna hear ripoff, go listen to Under Pressure and Ice Ice Baby. This Pearl Jam song is not even close to the same as that. You make it sound like they are EXACTLY the same. Same beat, maybe. Lay There and Hate Me by Ben Harper has the same beat as Billie Jean. That must be a ripoff too. Go back under your bridge. Why does new Pearl Jam excite most, and anger some? They could make the next Present Tense, and people would complain. It's new Pearl Jam. That's pretty cool! How about celebrating the fact that after almost 20 years, the same fellas like to get in a room, and make some rock and roll that melts mine and most people's faces. Not everything they do I like, but even their crap is better than other's best, IMO (like Dissident).
    So now I'm drivin the bus- Kramer
    You're batman!- George
    Yeah...yeah...I AM batman!!- Kramer
  • Options
    flyinwhole313flyinwhole313 Posts: 1,651
    It's a carbon copy in my book. As soon as Ed started the chorus over and over, I was wondering if I was listening to a cover song. Seriously.

The melody, chord structure and lyrical cadence - right down to the same two-word chorus delivery - are exactly alike.

How apologists try to defend it, i don't know. I've been as big of a fan as anyone else here since 95, and of course I hear lots of other influences/chord structures/etc on other PJ songs, but this one song is blatantly ripped off.

Sorry, but it is.

And it pains to type that, because I still love the band and I know the album is gonna rock regardless - 99.7 percent of the people who listen will have no idea about Devo's song, just like 99.7 percent of the people out there have no idea The White Stripes' Hardest Button to Button is a complete ripoff of Detroit punker Mick Collins' work (and who knows, we don't know if Ed or someone in the band approached Devo about the song; after all, Jack White and Mick Collins are good friends and jam together).[/u]
    AND YOU ARE PART OF THE 0.3% OF PEOPLE WHO GIVE A FUCK. AND LED ZEPPELIN RIPPED OFF HOW MANY ARTISTS???? CAN YOU SPELL WHAT THIS SAYS??? WHOGIVESAFUCK??????????
  • Options
    hitmanhitman Posts: 469
    over_bends wrote:
    over_bends wrote:
    Sometimes these claims have validity but this is a pretty big stretch. There are stylistic similarities but I don't see how you can call this a clear ripoff.

Like Ed's ripoff of that French song for the guitar for Guaranteed... THAT'S clear. This is most certainly not.

Can someone tell me what song you are talking about for Guaranteed? I never heard this before

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rodnvh2BbZw

wow.... i just listened to that for the first time.... that's pretty weird....

that being said, when screwing around on guitar it can be easy to find chord progressions that just seem to fall under your hands... and given the history of the guitar, it's really likely that the same progression fell under somebody else's hands too.....

i wrote a song that went Dmaj-Bmin-Amaj-Gmaj in high school... (19993) 8 years later Creed came out with a song using the exact same chords (One Last Breath)... as soon as I heard it on the radio, I was like... "hey!"

mostly i was pissed because Creed forced me to retire that little ditty... bastards...
  • Options
    jambayleaf wrote:

Sorry, but it is.

Do you always post the same post in two different threads?

You wanna hear ripoff, go listen to Under Pressure and Ice Ice Baby. This Pearl Jam song is not even close to the same as that. You make it sound like they are EXACTLY the same. Same beat, maybe. Lay There and Hate Me by Ben Harper has the same beat as Billie Jean. That must be a ripoff too. Go back under your bridge. Why does new Pearl Jam excite most, and anger some? They could make the next Present Tense, and people would complain. It's new Pearl Jam. That's pretty cool! How about celebrating the fact that after almost 20 years, the same fellas like to get in a room, and make some rock and roll that melts mine and most people's faces. Not everything they do I like, but even their crap is better than other's best, IMO (like Dissident).

Present Tense is such a ripoff of the Beach Boys' "Kokomo." It's uncanny!
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    ***GASP***
    A Rock 'n' Roll song that sounds like another Rock 'n' Roll song?

BALLS!!! I DON'T BELIEVE YOU!!

Anyways... You ever wonder how many times Chuck Berry thought to himself:

"Hey!! that guitar sound is rippin' me off"

Or

how many times Wille Dixon said to his buddies:

"Wow!! those there Led Zeppelin lyrics sure sound familiar"

Hmm...I guess it's all just inadvertent imitation

Yeah?
  • Options
    Labmonk_eLabmonk_e Posts: 26
    How anyone can say otherwise after having a listen needs their head examined. Listen to Devo's "Gut Feeling" AT LEAST until the 2 minute mark of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YievWIX9AKk

Then, listen to "Get Some" from Conan last night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9bScneEUOs

It's as blatant as Jack White/White Stripes' "Hardest Button to Button" ripoff of seminal Detroit punk rocker Mick Collins and his old band The Gories' "Sovereignty Fight."

I think its called "influential" in the music industry, And on that note ( no pun intended :mrgreen: ) hasn't EVERYONE been ripping off the Beatles over the last 40 years, or David Bowie, and Hey, how about how Led Zeppelin ripped off Muddy Waters and BB King?
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    you know ... I found out what Ed's ripping off ... it took me a while (it was bugging me), but, I figured it out ...

ok, here's the clip form last night, from Conan's site .... so, it shouldn't be deleted ...

check Ed's hand to the forehead move with 1:55 remaining (the clock counts down, not up)

http://www.thetonightshowwithconanobrie ... 9/1116201/

Now .... check out Russell Crowe as John Nash in a Beautiful Mind .... at the 1:10 of this clip ... (sorry for the Sting music, it was the only clip I could find of this video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qPeAEe2 ... re=related

it's the same move .... Ed's totally ripping off Russell Crowe's John Nash move.

(wow, this was a useless post ... haa haa)
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options

Sorry, but it is.

Can I song that's only existed in the public consciousness for 18 hours have "apologists"? I'm a pretty pretentious guy but that's even a stretch for me...
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • Options
    Labmonk_eLabmonk_e Posts: 26
    Now .... check out Russell Crowe as John Nash in a Beautiful Mind .... at the 1:10 of this clip ... (sorry for the Sting music, it was the only clip I could find of this video)

it's the same move .... Ed's totally ripping off Russell Crowe's John Nash move.

Holy Shit! :shock: :o:o
  • Options
    SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    jimed14 wrote:
    SolarWorld wrote:
    If there was no devo the world would be a slightly better place...

if there were less moronic comments like this, the world would be a much better place.

Go whip yourself with your red toy hat, and wrap yourself in black tape :roll: ... Devo is garbage...
  • Options
    This thread is retarded. It reminds me of people saying WWS sounded like Offsprings "Keep Em' Seperated" when that came out. The chord progression is vaguely similar on the verse (different key though) but so what?

Agreed. :D
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,450
    I wonder if people would have the same opinion if some other band recorded a song that sounded like a pearl Jam rip-off?
  • Options
    Cinnamon GirlCinnamon Girl Posts: 1,854
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    I wonder if people would have the same opinion if some other band recorded a song that sounded like a pearl Jam rip-off?

Yeah, the folks at the Devo message board must be pissed. :? :D
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

People have made similar threads on here before. I think they're jackfucks, too.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,085
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Yeah, the folks at the Devo message board must be pissed. :? :D
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    If anything I think Got Some is very Who influenced, I hear alot of "The Real Me"
    Good shit.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    jimed14 wrote:
    you know ... I found out what Ed's ripping off ... it took me a while (it was bugging me), but, I figured it out ...

ok, here's the clip form last night, from Conan's site .... so, it shouldn't be deleted ...

check Ed's hand to the forehead move with 1:55 remaining (the clock counts down, not up)

http://www.thetonightshowwithconanobrie ... 9/1116201/

(wow, this was a useless post ... haa haa)

that;s a lot of work for a useless post...bravo ;) :P :lol:
  • Options
    If nothing else, watching the Devo clip has inspired me to check out old Devo stuff. Thanks PJ for a great new song and continuing to turn me onto music I would not have otherwise listened to.

Hard to make anything that hasn't been influenced in some way especially for rock bands but as long as its rockin' I really don't care. :D
    "She knows there is no success like failure
    And that failure's no success at all."

"Don't ya think its sometimes wise not to grow up."

"Cause life ain't nothing but a good groove
    A good mixed tape to put you in the right mood."
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    norm wrote:

I'm the master of useless knowledge, and long forgotten references like this ... I swear ... you should see me at pub quiz night ...

as for this ....
    SolarWorld wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:
    SolarWorld wrote:
    If there was no devo the world would be a slightly better place...

if there were less moronic comments like this, the world would be a much better place.

Go whip yourself with your red toy hat, and wrap yourself in black tape :roll: ... Devo is garbage...

saying you don't like a band is ok in my book ...

calling music "garbage" is intollerant douchebaggery ...
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    thecorythecory Posts: 290
    there are only so many chords that sound good together i mean listen to 'smells like teen spirit' and then 'more than a feeling'
    it happens non stop worst case they tag 'got some' with a little devo just like 'better man' w/ 'english beat'.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    jimed14 wrote:
    norm wrote:

I'm the master of useless knowledge, and long forgotten references like this ... I swear ... you should see me at pub quiz night ...

i could probably give you a run for your money in the useless knowledge department :lol::lol:
  • Options
    That Devo song rocked! Really groov'n on it. I might check out more of them. You can tell their influence on many of today's band.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,450
    norm wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:
    norm wrote:

i could probably give you a run for your money in the useless knowledge department :lol::lol:

I bet the trio of us would dominate a pub quiz!
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Clear rip off? Oh yea because the Chorus of a song is the one part of a song to tell if your ripping another song off? You know how many choruses there are that are similar to eachother?!?!? The beginning sounded NOTHING like Pearl Jam. I dont know about the ending because I X'ed out realizing you don't know what your talking about.

Plus, nearly everything nowadays is recycled and redone in some way. Its almost impossible to write something that hasnt been done. You could listen to ANY song and find similarities of another song.

Im not defending this song because its a good song, im just saying your being ridiculous. I actually don't really like the song THAT MUCH yet.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    lukinrepriselukinreprise Posts: 125
    Thats weird, I thought the song sounded like that Devo song as well, but it was late when i watched it, and very tired so i thought it might be me.
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    jimed14 wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10