Options

ACL...of course PJ, but who else?

2»

Comments

• Options
    KingmidgetKingmidget Posts: 628
    Kingmidget wrote:
    Don't miss Bon Iver!

I'm there! Thanks! We are driving from La Crosse...22 hours but worth it... :)

Ahh perfect! I'm so jealous! I'm from Eau Claire. (hence the constant shameless plugging of Bon Iver) :) I wish I could go down - but I'll be back in school then and it's just not a good time. ACL has the best lineup of the summer. You're going to have a great time!

Bummer you can't go! It would be a bad time for students. Met many WI folks there last year among many other cool folks.

It would be easier for people if it was in the summer, but it was hot enough down there at the end of September...not sure I'd be able to deal w/ the summer temps there (being the heat wimp I am) :)

Who knows...maybe they'll pop up for Summerfest?
  • Options
    ArcticangelArcticangel Posts: 1,443
    Kingmidget wrote:
    Ahh perfect! I'm so jealous! I'm from Eau Claire. (hence the constant shameless plugging of Bon Iver) :) I wish I could go down - but I'll be back in school then and it's just not a good time. ACL has the best lineup of the summer. You're going to have a great time!

Bummer you can't go! It would be a bad time for students. Met many WI folks there last year among many other cool folks.

It would be easier for people if it was in the summer, but it was hot enough down there at the end of September...not sure I'd be able to deal w/ the summer temps there (being the heat wimp I am) :)

They're sure making the festival round this year... last year they played at Outside Lands. This year, ACL, Roo, and Lolla.
    I made it to their homecoming show in December and saw a couple secret shows and impromptu jams at the bar... but we need some more midwest proper Bon Iver shows in EC or MSP...
    I wish so bad I could go to ACL... but it would be irresponsible. I'll bank my yearly allowed irresponsibility for a PJ weekend in Seattle this fall *fingers crossed*
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Kings of Leon, Avett Bros. ( just saw at Sasquatch...AWESOME ) , Dr. Dog, Devotchka, Eek - a - Mouse, The Raveonettes, Dead Weather, Sonic Youth, Arctic Monkeys. Lots of great listening. Glad I bought a three day pass.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Kingmidget wrote:
    I seem to remember that timeframe too....ya, that show at Stubbs was fantastic! It worked out perfectly for me as they played before Robert Plant at the fest, who I wanted to be right up front for, so I missed the Keys show at the fest to keep my spot. Better to see them in a small joint anyway.
    I was right up front for Robert Plant and Alison Krause too! I figured it was a one-off so I chose to see them over Beck although the sound from his stage kept bleeding over. :roll: Remember when they sang Battle of Evermore and at the end Plant said something like "That was really hard to do with the Village People in the background"? :lol:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    Kingmidget wrote:

Summerfest.. Hell Yeah! I'm definitely driving up from Chicago on June 29th for Spoon. Not to derail your thread, but does anyone have any Summerfest suggestions (not counting Marcus Amphitheater). I'm also excited about seeing Bright Eyes there.
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Kingmidget wrote:

Summerfest.. Hell Yeah! I'm definitely driving up from Chicago on June 29th for Spoon. Not to derail your thread, but does anyone have any Summerfest suggestions (not counting Marcus Amphitheater). I'm also excited about seeing Bright Eyes there.

Check out Summerfest.com for side stage line ups. Sometimes its fun to just walk around the grounds and you hear something new and it hooks you. :)
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    Kingmidget wrote:
    So pumped for ACL...PJ is a given, but looking for suggestions for other bands that should not be missed.

Levon Helm, Dan Acherbauer, Bon Iver, Ben Harper, Kings of Leon, The Dead Weather, Grizzly Bear are all a "go!"......any other recommendations?

Any suggestions are appreciated! :)

I havent gone through the 3 pages of thread so the have probaly been suggested already..

KOL on Friday (they are the reason Im traveling to Austin)
    Sonic Youth an Ben Harper on Sunday

(not going on Saturday so not sure about the line up that day)
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    hollyster70hollyster70 Posts: 228
    I ADORE the Avett Brothers...just got back from Portland, OR to catch their show at the Crystal Ballroom. I would suggest anyone going to the ACL try to catch their set. They put on one hell of a show. Never have let me down and I've been following them around since 2006.
    Be Kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    I am in the middle of checking out the rest of the ACL lineup but aside from the headliners here is what I hope not to miss....

Ben Harper, Bon Iver, Brett Dennen, Toadies, Alberta Cross, Deer Tick, Dr. Dog, The Airborne Toxic Event, The Avett Brothers and Andrew Bird.

Any other suggestions?