Options

ACL...of course PJ, but who else?

KingmidgetKingmidget Posts: 628
edited June 2009 in The Porch
So pumped for ACL...PJ is a given, but looking for suggestions for other bands that should not be missed.

Levon Helm, Dan Acherbauer, Bon Iver, Ben Harper, Kings of Leon, The Dead Weather, Grizzly Bear are all a "go!"......any other recommendations?

Any suggestions are appreciated! :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    CLUTCH, SONIC YOUTH
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    bret dennen is amazing

hes also hidious. looks like rocky from the mask
  • Options
    Don't miss the decemberists. They rock and they put on a great show. If I were lucky enough to make the trip I would probably also check out Airborne Toxic Event, The Walkmen, and Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears (Black Joe's connections to Britt Daniels/Spoon are enough to interest me)

Oh... And make sure you catch Vince Mira. I don't know much about his music but he has recorded and played with Stone many times and it looks like he is playing earlier on Pearl Jam's day. I would be up close just for the chance to see Stone in a unique setting. Check out twofeetthick article on Sasquatch that talks about Vince.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Thanks so much everyone! Patrick....forgot to throw Sonic Youth on my list....a must see!

Also love the Decemberists...the list is too long! :)
    Post edited by Kingmidget on
  • Options
    Kingmidget wrote:
    Thanks so much everyone! Patrick....forgot to throw Sonic Youth on my list....a must see!

Sonic Youth is the shit. :D
  • Options
    Kingmidget wrote:

Sonic Youth is the shit. :D

I've seen them at a few PJ shows....love 'em big guy!
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Toadies
    B-52s . . . possibly my favorite "dance band" ;):lol:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    Don't miss the decemberists. They rock and they put on a great show. If I were lucky enough to make the trip I would probably also check out Airborne Toxic Event, The Walkmen, and Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears (Black Joe's connections to Britt Daniels/Spoon are enough to interest me)

Oh... And make sure you catch Vince Mira. I don't know much about his music but he has recorded and played with Stone many times and it looks like he is playing earlier on Pearl Jam's day. I would be up close just for the chance to see Stone in a unique setting. Check out twofeetthick article on Sasquatch that talks about Vince.
    Saw Black Joe Louis at last years acl....INCREDIBLE! I think my fav stage ended up being the local or Texas bands...he was incredible and hope to see him again this year....amazing guitar player!
  • Options
    Toadies

Toadies..yesssssssssss! B52s were never to my taste, but I'll check them out! :)
  • Options
    ramblinponyramblinpony Posts: 115
    Rev. Paytons Big Damn Band....Saw them a few times here in KC. Always a great time
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    I'm going to recommend Reckless Kelly again. Maybe you guys won't like 'em, I don't know. They would probably be classified as alt-country, sort of along the lines of Wilco or Son Volt.

If you like those bands, you'll probably like Reckless.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    It's gonna be a fun time. :)
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Kingmidget wrote:
    Toadies

Toadies..yesssssssssss! B52s were never to my taste, but I'll check them out! :)
    I couldn't get into the B-52s when I first heard them either but they are so fun live. I don't know how anyone can listen to their music without dancing. :D
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    FRI: kings of leon, andrew bird, avett brothers, reckless kelly, the walkmen, dr. dog
    SAT: the decemberists, dave matthews band, levon helm band, bon iver, deer tick
    SUN: pearl jam, ben harper & relentless7, sonic youth, dead weather, heartless bastards, dan auerbach, clutch, black joe lewis, white lies, girl talk, lisa hannigan

so many great bands to choose from. i'm just hoping that there isn't a major scheduling conflict!! (but they're inevitable, it seems) one of my favorite things about ACL is discovering & listening to all of these new bands prior to going to the festival. can't wait to see a list of aftershows! 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    todd snider

alt-country/folk type...amazing songwriter and storyteller
  • Options
    RedlegsRedlegs Posts: 160
    Make sure you all try to see Blitzen Trapper. Album of the year in '08 for me and a damn fun live act.
    mfc2006 wrote:
    FRI: kings of leon, andrew bird, avett brothers, reckless kelly, the walkmen, dr. dog
    SUN: pearl jam, ben harper & relentless7, sonic youth, dead weather, heartless bastards, dan auerbach, clutch, black joe lewis, white lies, girl talk, lisa hannigan)

Damn man, looks like I'll be pretty much exactly where you are most of the time.
  • Options
    LedbetterdaysLedbetterdays Round Rock, Texas Posts: 555
    Bands I can recommend:

Friday:
    Beastie Boys, Kings of Leon, Mos Def, The Walkmen, Nelo,

Saturday:
    DMB, John Legend, Decemberists, Flogging Molly, Mute Math, The Scabs, Grizzly Bear

Sunday:
    Pearl Jam, Ben Harper and Relentless Seven, Sonic Youth, Toadies, Arctic Monkeys, Black Joe Lewis, State Radio
    Touring Fan since 1996
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    todd snider

Seconded.
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    todd snider

Seconded.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

wait there is another shithead here????

there were a couple on the old board...maybe you were one i can't remember...outstanding!! :D

new album next week :mrgreen:
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    norm wrote:
    todd snider

Seconded.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

wait there is another shithead here????

there were a couple on the old board...maybe you were one i can't remember...outstanding!! :D

new album next week :mrgreen:

That wasn't me. And I'm not a huge Snider fan. Yet. But I do like what I've heard from him, and I do like the couple songs of his that Ragweed does.
  • Options
    That wasn't me. And I'm not a huge Snider fan. Yet. But I do like what I've heard from him, and I do like the couple songs of his that Ragweed does.

cool....judging by what you said about santa cruz, you should like todd's lyrics :)
  • Options
    check out Sarah Jaffe on Saturday. She is from Denton, TX

well worth your time..

http://www.myspace.com/sjaffe
  • Options
    AvocadoLadyAvocadoLady Posts: 680
    So much to dig on this lineup!

Friday: The Low Anthem, The Greencards, Daniel Johnston, Blitzen Trapper, Dr. Dog, The Avett Brothers, Medeski Martin & Wood, Andrew Bird, Mos Def, KoL, Beasties

Saturday: The Dexateens, The Soul Stirrers, Mimicking Birds, Cotton Jones, The Henry Clay People, Deer Tick, Sam Roberts Band, Alberta Cross, Robyn Hitchcock & the Venus 3, The Felice Brothers, The Raveonettes, Grizzly Bear, Devotchka, Bon Iver, Flogging Molly, Levon Helm, DMB

Sunday: Lisa Hannigan, Alela Diane, Rebirth Brass Band, Rodriguez, Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears, Preservation Hall Jazz Band, The Dodos, Dan Auerbach, Heartless Bastards, Girl Talk, The Dead Weather, Ben Harper, PJ!

ACL did a great job of getting a lot of the SXSW buzz bands this year. Of the lesser-known bands, I think PJ fans might really dig Alberta Cross (sounds a bit like Blind Melon), the Henry Clay People (sound a bit like Pavement) and maybe Rodriguez (seriously interesting backstory, it's a dude who put out two albums of psychedelic folk in the 60s and then basically disappeared. He's a huge cult favorite in Australia and South Africa but not very well known here, just started touring the US again, should have a full band with horns at ACL).

So excited!
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:
    SUN: pearl jam, ben harper & relentless7, sonic youth, dead weather, heartless bastards, dan auerbach, clutch, black joe lewis, white lies, girl talk, lisa hannigan

so many great bands to choose from. i'm just hoping that there isn't a major scheduling conflict!! (but they're inevitable, it seems) one of my favorite things about ACL is discovering & listening to all of these new bands prior to going to the festival. can't wait to see a list of aftershows! 8-)

Great recommendations from everyone...does anyone remember when the aftershows were announced last year? Snared tix to the Black Keys at Stubs and had a ball! Left that night at 1 AM, heading back to WI. Luckily we set more time asside for the fest this year,,,
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Kingmidget wrote:
    Great recommendations from everyone...does anyone remember when the aftershows were announced last year? Snared tix to the Black Keys at Stubs and had a ball! Left that night at 1 AM, heading back to WI. Luckily we set more time asside for the fest this year,,,

i seem to remember the aftershow announcements start right around the time the "official schedule" comes out....which should be in July/August. but i seem to recall that the "big names" are announced a little later on. i was at that Black Keys show!! it was awesome! 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:
    Kingmidget wrote:

i seem to remember the aftershow announcements start right around the time the "official schedule" comes out....which should be in July/August. but i seem to recall that the "big names" are announced a little later on. i was at that Black Keys show!! it was awesome! 8-)

I seem to remember that timeframe too....ya, that show at Stubbs was fantastic! It worked out perfectly for me as they played before Robert Plant at the fest, who I wanted to be right up front for, so I missed the Keys show at the fest to keep my spot. Better to see them in a small joint anyway.

It will be fun to if PJ chooses to do an aftershow! It wouldn't surprise me....
  • Options
    ArcticangelArcticangel Posts: 1,443
    Don't miss Bon Iver!
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
  • Options
    Don't miss Bon Iver!

I'm there! Thanks! We are driving from La Crosse...22 hours but worth it... :)
  • Options
    ArcticangelArcticangel Posts: 1,443
    Kingmidget wrote:
    Don't miss Bon Iver!

I'm there! Thanks! We are driving from La Crosse...22 hours but worth it... :)

Ahh perfect! I'm so jealous! I'm from Eau Claire. (hence the constant shameless plugging of Bon Iver) :) I wish I could go down - but I'll be back in school then and it's just not a good time. ACL has the best lineup of the summer. You're going to have a great time!
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009