Options

"New Song" Vs. "World Wide Suicide"

2»

Comments

• Options
    Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    I like both songs! :D
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    UpSideDown wrote:
    Got Some is already better than anything on self titled........

Fuck that. Got Some is already the best song ever created in the history of mankind, or even the world.

Or maybe we should tap the brakes a bit, eh?
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    WWS was the most excited I'd been about a new PJ single since Given to Fly. A funky little rhythm, groovy guitars, and a cool chorus. The new song... 2.5 minutes of boring riff with no discernible difference between the chorus and verse... it's as bad as Ramones song, only without the redemption of being as catchy as theirs.

No contest. WWS kicks this song's ass.

Dude, I'm having a hard time figuring you. Based on all your posts yesterday, I would have guessed WWS as a song you'd absolutely loathe.

I wouldn't describe the guitars as "groovy" so much as "chunky" or "clunky" or "punky." I thought you liked soaring choruses (the only thing that redeemed Porch, you said) ... WWS has a punk chorus if I've ever heard one. The best moments in Pearl Jam, you said, are the slow-burning songs. WWS is hardly that.

Your musical taste is confusing me.

Anyway, to answer the original question, when I first heard WWS, I thought, "It's OK, but I hope it's not the best song on the album (it wasn't)." I kind of feel the same about Got Some.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    HailRoad24HailRoad24 Posts: 133
    My problem with WWS, beyond feeling like a disjointed song, was that it is too damned WORDY. The amount of lyrics don't let the song breath IMO, if that makes any sense.

Got Some breathes and has more of a driving rythym to it. So in the end, I will take Got Some over WWS any day of the week.
    -PUSH ME AND I WILL RESIST!
  • Options
    LedbetterdaysLedbetterdays Round Rock, Texas Posts: 555
    Got Some is a better live song
    Got Some has fist pumping quality
    Got Some ascends at the end
    Got Some has bass and rhythm
    WWS is better lyrically
    WWS is kinda weak live
    WWS has better lead/rhythm guitar work
    Neither will end up in the top 20 PJ songs list
    Touring Fan since 1996
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,168
    this one is better than,,wws
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    HailRoad24 wrote:
    My problem with WWS, beyond feeling like a disjointed song, was that it is too damned WORDY. The amount of lyrics don't let the song breath IMO, if that makes any sense.

That makes perfect sense.
    This is something that has irritated me with post Yeild Pearl Jam.

I'm a big fan of Ed's lyrics -always have been- however I think that Eddie has had a habit on the last few records of trying to squeeze too many lyrics into a song. They are great words, but sometimes -like you said- they don't give the songs and music a chance to breathe or get into a groove.

Riot Act and alot of Avacado were plagued with this.

Eddie appears to have trimmed down the lyrics on "Got Some" and "The Fixer".
    There appears to be more of a focus on the music and groove with these two songs.
    They are definately tighter in structure which may be the influence of Brendon O' Brien
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    i think got some is easily better the WWS.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford