Options

Could Rancid support?

pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,728
edited June 2009 in The Porch
Just a thought given they have a new record out, and Eddie seems to have great respect for Tim.....

plus Pearl Jam seem to connect with the punk movement a great deal and draw inspiration from it

or are Rancid too big for this? I'm not so sure they are in the current day, especially in Europe
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    they could but wont.

I just hope they don't grab some Brit Rock garbage eg: Supergrass
  • Options
    MH80359 wrote:
    they could but wont.

my god that would be horrific
  • Options
    thebettermanthebetterman Posts: 657
    I would love to see Rancid open, and Rancid isn't too big, they're opening for Rise Against this summer (June-July)
    -one thing to remember, always have a good time, all the time
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,885
    I thought they opened some shows for them back in 98
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    dislocateddislocated Posts: 599
    rancid to big? :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,565
    Rancid would be excellent! PJ have covered one of their songs in the past, Time bomb. I am still looking hear this cover... anyone?

Bad Religion would be awsome also!
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    europe is gonna be epic..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    dislocated wrote:

yeah hilarious, dont forget they are the single biggest selling indie band of all time, have the biggest selling punk record of all time, and are in their rights a huge name still on th punk circuit?

so are they too bid to support? I'd say thats a fair question.

They still sell out every tour of the uk on their own.....but this would be a great place to showcase their new stuff
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    pdalowsky wrote:
    dislocated wrote:

have the biggest selling punk record of all time
    Which one?
    NERDS!
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    dislocated wrote:

Which one?

wolves.
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,583
    pdalowsky wrote:
    MH80359 wrote:
    they could but wont.

my god that would be horrific

Paul i know i'm going to get flamed in your books for saying this, but i really dig Supergrass (especially the earlier albums). i had a chance to hang out with the band at the '00 Montreal show right before they hit the stage and they are honestly a great bunch of guys. PJ really enjoyed having them on tour as well,...
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    ZidaneZidane Ottawa Posts: 362

Yes they did!

And by the way, Supergrass is awesome. They're more respected than some of you think. Geez... it's one of Fat Mike's favorite band! You also have Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters and a bunch of bands that respect Supergrass!
    You're not what you own - Ian MacKaye, Fugazi

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    05 - Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    09 - Toronto, Philly (Show #3-4)
    10 - Cleveland
    11 - Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa
    13 - London (ON), Philly (x2)
    16 - QC - Ottawa

• Options
    pdalowsky wrote:

Which one?

wolves.

That record went gold. So you're saying this sold more than Dookie?
    NERDS!
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:

Which one?

wolves.

I actually think that Offsprings "Smash" sold the most (or is it the most selling independant record (Epitaph))? Don't remember anymore...

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    10 - Cleveland
    16 - QC - Ottawa

• Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,583

Rancid opened both West Palm Beach shows on the '98 tour,...

Stone is also a big Rancid fan!
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    I think I confused Smash for the wolves, regardless the Wolves has gone platinum - I'm sure of that

and Smash pissed all over Dookie....rightly or wrongly.

100 Pacer - I've seen Supergrass a few times, they just dont do it for me...I think its that alright song, theres something about it that gets on my tits :D They were the band of Glastonbury for a few years with the summer songs they put out. But it all got murdered on the radio over here....I was glad when it all sank, much like the kula shaker thing, the space thing, and all the other dross from that era. The onyl band that kept their mantle (aside from the obvious big hitters like Oasis, Blur and to some degree Embrace) were Ocean Colour Scene, but only becuase they refocused their sound to the a more stripped down folk....and have continued strongly in that vain, albeit without the media hype and mass public appeal.
  • Options
    100 Pacer wrote:

Cool, I recall Eddie was talking about Tim on the wes coast solo leg from last year?
  • Options
    and all arguments aside, does anyone agree that The Wolves is as solid a punk rock record as you'd ever hope to find?

Pearl jam should book them to open and just play that record right the way through....it really doesnt have a single weak moment.
  • Options
    Zidane wrote:
    pdalowsky wrote:

Which one?

wolves.

I actually think that Offsprings "Smash" sold the most (or is it the most selling independant record (Epitaph))? Don't remember anymore...

Smash - 16,000,000 copies worldwide

Dookie - 15,000,000 copies

Wolves only went gold ;)
    NERDS!
  • Options
    wolves went platinum in the early 2000's....
  • Options
    How does it work in the states for Platinum - 1,000,000 and gold 500,000?
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    and all arguments aside, does anyone agree that The Wolves is as solid a punk rock record as you'd ever hope to find?

Pearl jam should book them to open and just play that record right the way through....it really doesnt have a single weak moment.

I like Rancid, much better better than Supergrass or the Offspring IMO :mrgreen:

I was more of an Operation Ivy guy.

My favorite punk records are London Calling, Punk in Drublic and Everything sucks :mrgreen:

I wouldn't mind Rancid as an opener though.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    GoGatorsGoGators Posts: 40
    My favorite is Life Won't Wait......i love Rancid...but the last 2 records (Indestructible and Let the Dominoes Fall) suck.
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:

I like Rancid, much better better than Supergrass or the Offspring IMO :mrgreen:

My favorite punk records are London Calling, Punk in Drublic and Everything sucks :mrgreen:

London Calling is a classic but not as good as the self titled for me, we sure agree on punk in drublic though...

indestructible is a great record....to say it sucks is a little harsh - pisses all over anything the Offspring put out since Ixnay, and Green Day for that matter..

I dont think there are many better Punk bandsout there live these days either, which is why they would be perfect for this slot, although the gImmes are great fun to watch
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,017
    rancid support? why not! :)

just watched that ramones tribute show with ed & rancid doing i believe in miracles & shenna is a punk rocker. with that punkish tune 'got some' etc.. and ed's love of punk, rancid opening for pearl jam '09 would be wicked. ed playing a few tunes during their set, rancid will play a few tune or 2 with pearl jam (aka sonic reducer).

:mrgreen:
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:

Punk in Drublic? Really? I prefer White Trash, Two Heebs and a Bean or Ribbed. But I hear you on London Calling and Everything sucks! But I have to add Steady Diet of Nothing from Fugazi!!!!

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    10 - Cleveland
    16 - QC - Ottawa

• Options
    Green Day is dookie and not punk
  • Options
    surforiasurforia SoCal Posts: 346
    pdalowsky wrote:
    100 Pacer wrote:

Cool, I recall Eddie was talking about Tim on the wes coast solo leg from last year?
    What did he say?
    9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 8/18/00, 10/8/00, 10/9/00, 4/28/03, 6/22/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 10/2/04, 10/5/04, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/28/06, 6/20/08, 6/25/08, 10/27/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/22/16, 9/26/21, 10/1/21, 10/2/21, 5/3/22, 5/6/22
  • Options
    Green Day is dookie and not punk

Sorry dude but back in 94, for a lot of people, IT WAS!!!!!

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    10 - Cleveland
    16 - QC - Ottawa