Albany EV Fundraiser Preparties!

Comments

• 3legged dog3legged dog Posts: 896
    what about tuesday?? :D
    Jeanwah wrote:
    I'm thinking we should have had our own thread on Encompassing Trip if we want to have fun. We're not allowed to have fun on the fundraiser threads.

I've updated Jillians with everything, we're set to go for Monday, kids!
    In my lifetime, I have conquered the Multiverse by force of trUth.
  • ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    I will donate a minty Fresh Camden 2008 night 2 poster. :o

thank you!!!!!!... added
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • quelquefoisquelquefois Posts: 208
    so, i sort of modified this little Albany primer that I had for another purpose, and i thought i would post it here just in case someone find's it handy...

and i know it's been mentioned before, but please be careful walking around downtown alone at night... especially if you could be mistaken for one of the local college kids (they seem to be the target of choice).

Albany, NY: a place not particularly worth visiting.
    (but you’re here anyways, so what the hell?!)

______
    Okay… for those of you staying in the downtown area near the venue (Hampton, Crowne, HI Express, etc.)…

If you need your coffee on the go and you’re around State Street you can grab a cup at Stagecoach Coffee (beware of caffeine starved State Workers). Also, there will be a ton of food vendors around the Capitol area so if street meat is your thang, then giv’er!

If you want to sit down to eat then you’re best bet is to head to Lark Street, which runs between Washington/Central (they merge at Lark) and Madison Ave….

Daily Grind on Lark has good coffee and they also serve food. I am sure you could find cheaper breakfast though… Scratch Café is on Madison a block from Lark, but I haven’t been there so I am not sure of their prices. A lot of the bars that have been thrown around for the after party are clustered around Lark and Madison right near this café.

There are a ton of restaurants on Lark, including falafel, Indian, Thai, Chinese, etc. etc. They range in price and ambiance, but I can’t speak about any of the nicer places, because, well… I don’t go to them. There are also some restaurants just off of Lark St. on Central Ave that are cheap and/or tasty but I caution you not to go any further north than Central Ave because the neighborhood gets dicey. (For the biggest burrito you’ve ever seen head to Bomber’s on Lark. Downstairs is eat-in/take-out and upstairs is a tequila bar where you can order the biggest Margarita you’ve ever seen to go with your gigantic burrito).

Washington Park is a very nice little oasis that is surrounded by Washington Ave, Lark Street and Madison Ave. During the day it’s full of college students, runners, dog walkers, vagrants, biker’s and people playing Frisbee. I would avoid the park at night, unless you want to risk seeing a homeless man’s unmentionables.

There is also the NYS Museum on Madison, which has a stuffed moose and some 9/11 wreckage. And it's free.
    _____
    If you’re staying near the SUNY campus… there are buses that run downtown on both Washington Ave and Western Ave (the 12 and the 10) to get to the show. These buses also stop at Lark St. (see above). The bus fare is $1.50 (exact change) and they stop running at night, around 11 or 12. the website for the buses is http://www.cdta.org

For breakfast in that area, I would say maybe head to Uncommon Grounds on Western Ave. for some very tasty bagels and fresh roasted coffee (this might be my favorite bagel place ever)… for more variety, Stuyvesant Plaza is an outdoor mall that has a bunch of restaurants and shops… Peaches Café is good for breakfast, and Bountiful Bread has pastries and free refills on coffee for as long as you sit there. You could also grab light lunch at any of these places.

There are some pretty cheap places to grab pizza/pub fare type stuff on Western Ave. below the SUNY campus, but if you’re on Washington Ave. this means you’ll have to cut through the campus and that can be confusing (but worth it! see below).

If you are in the mood to look at something ugly, check out the SUNY campus… it’s the world’s second largest concrete structure, and we are very proud of it.
    _____

again, sorry if this isn't useful... :geek:
  • and i know it's been mentioned before, but please be careful walking around downtown alone at night... especially if you could be mistaken for one of the local college kids (they seem to be the target of choice).
    the whole post was awesome. thanks.

i have said this part before as well. i have my own story to tell about this, from less than 2 months ago. 4am, leaving Justin's (jazz bar), alone (i know, stupid). "almost" got jumped by 5 guys, standard line "hey, didn't i see you at the club", walking up to me very fast. I ran until i found a cop (who confirmed they were gang related, and normally rolled college kids... felt pretty good at 33, that I looked like a college kid... lol, j/k). don't want to shy people away... but Please don't walk alone after the show. i can take care of myself (not a small dude), but not against 5 guys. bottom line, if you think you're gonna have a chance to be that person, walkin alone, shoot me a pm, i'll give you my phone number and i'll either drive you where you need to go (not planning on drinking), or walk you there.

good luck. be safe... and have craploads of fun.
  • GremmieOOC wrote:
    what's been so crazy about these threads?? :lol:

They only locked 3 threads on us. I am sure there was nothing crazy going on in any of those threads. :D

BTW, if you add up all the pages in these 4 threads we are on page 97. Just a few more pages to go to get to the goal of 100.
    don't know if i love u or hate u for posting this! was watching like a hawk from the background, lurking waiting for the 100th page. planning to "bump" more times than normal... etc. :-)

j/k.... hope to see you soon. safe drive.

ofed.
  • pjbugs007pjbugs007 Posts: 1,078
    information overload!! lol my brain cant handle it all ..esp before 6am!!
  • mostdefiledmostdefiled Posts: 158
    Count me in for night 2 as well... I'm so excited... I tried to post this on the face-book page, but I'm not sure if it went through. 8-) :!:
    she holds the hand that holds her down, she will rise above!
  • That was alot of good info, now if you can just bring us to all those spots. LOL!
  • ahhh....seedy characters, gang members, vagrants & college kids....it's like I'm not even going on vacation :mrgreen: Ed....you could just as well be playing in my home town...LOWELL, MA.

3legg D...you know what I'm saying ;):lol:
  • CalumCalum Posts: 635
    Hello everyone.. just wanted to say this is my last post for a couple of weeks, but I will of course being meeting some of you mon/tues.

Tomorrow, I will be arriving in JFK at 11:40am, then catching 2:30pm Amtrak to Albany, and then getting a good nights sleep at holiday inn :)

I hope everyone has a safe journey getting to venue, see you all soon 8-) peace out
    London Astoria - Dublin - Wembley - Shepherds Bush - London 02
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    what about tuesday?? :D
    Jeanwah wrote:
    I'm thinking we should have had our own thread on Encompassing Trip if we want to have fun. We're not allowed to have fun on the fundraiser threads.

I've updated Jillians with everything, we're set to go for Monday, kids!
    oops! Meant Monday and Tuesday, of course!!
  • Calum wrote:
    I hope everyone has a safe journey getting to venue, see you all soon 8-) peace out

thanks man...you too...try not to look like a tourist up in NYC ;):mrgreen:

be safe & hope to see ya in Albany!
    ahhh....seedy characters, gang members, vagrants & college kids....it's like I'm not even going on vacation :mrgreen: Ed....you could just as well be playing in my home town...LOWELL, MA.

YES. I will feel right at home!! Is their a crack st. in Albany? Do gangbangers hang out on mon/tues nights???
    To bad I cant bring my handgun to NY, I tend to creep out the gangsters when I mow my lawn w/ my gun to my hip.........lol. "GET OFF MY LAWN"!
    Have a safe trip Calum!
  • how about pizza joints...i love me some NY pizza...anything good in Albany??
  • ahhh....seedy characters, gang members, vagrants & college kids....it's like I'm not even going on vacation :mrgreen: Ed....you could just as well be playing in my home town...LOWELL, MA.

YES. I will feel right at home!! Is their a crack st. in Albany? Do gangbangers hang out on mon/tues nights???
    To bad I cant bring my handgun to NY, I tend to creep out the gangsters when I mow my lawn w/ my gun to my hip.........lol. "GET OFF MY LAWN"!

:lol::lol::lol:
    how about pizza joints...i love me some NY pizza...anything good in Albany??

haha. there are a bunch of places called I LOVE NY PIZZA... but i think it's false advertising...
    so, i sort of modified this little Albany primer that I had for another purpose, and i thought i would post it here just in case someone find's it handy...

and i know it's been mentioned before, but please be careful walking around downtown alone at night... especially if you could be mistaken for one of the local college kids (they seem to be the target of choice).

Albany, NY: a place not particularly worth visiting....
    Awesome info. Now all we need is a map of all these places ;) j/k!
    there was a map kicking around... maybe OFED had it?? but really, once you get here you'll be navigating the streets like a local... they don't call it Smallbany for nothin' :D .
    there was a map kicking around... maybe OFED had it?? but really, once you get here you'll be navigating the streets like a local... they don't call it Smallbany for nothin' :D .
    I've been to the Palace quite a few times, it's easy to get to, but maybe it's me. Those streets can be confusing, but then again, I'm just not in the area enough. You're right Ofed did have a map.
  • Surf RiderSurf Rider Posts: 813

Okay… for those of you staying in the downtown area near the venue (Hampton, Crowne, HI Express, etc.)…

If you need your coffee on the go and you’re around State Street you can grab a cup at Stagecoach Coffee (beware of caffeine starved State Workers). Also, there will be a ton of food vendors around the Capitol area so if street meat is your thang, then giv’er!

If you want to sit down to eat then you’re best bet is to head to Lark Street, which runs between Washington/Central (they merge at Lark) and Madison Ave….

Daily Grind on Lark has good coffee and they also serve food. I am sure you could find cheaper breakfast though… Scratch Café is on Madison a block from Lark, but I haven’t been there so I am not sure of their prices. A lot of the bars that have been thrown around for the after party are clustered around Lark and Madison right near this café.

There are a ton of restaurants on Lark, including falafel, Indian, Thai, Chinese, etc. etc. They range in price and ambiance, but I can’t speak about any of the nicer places, because, well… I don’t go to them. There are also some restaurants just off of Lark St. on Central Ave that are cheap and/or tasty but I caution you not to go any further north than Central Ave because the neighborhood gets dicey. (For the biggest burrito you’ve ever seen head to Bomber’s on Lark. Downstairs is eat-in/take-out and upstairs is a tequila bar where you can order the biggest Margarita you’ve ever seen to go with your gigantic burrito).

Washington Park is a very nice little oasis that is surrounded by Washington Ave, Lark Street and Madison Ave. During the day it’s full of college students, runners, dog walkers, vagrants, biker’s and people playing Frisbee. I would avoid the park at night, unless you want to risk seeing a homeless man’s unmentionables.

There is also the NYS Museum on Madison, which has a stuffed moose and some 9/11 wreckage. And it's free.

Good info...thanks.
  • Jeanwah wrote:
    I've been to the Palace quite a few times, it's easy to get to, but maybe it's me. Those streets can be confusing, but then again, I'm just not in the area enough. You're right Ofed did have a map.
    OFED shared a map on the original thread... and shares it again now. It's been updated since the first time but I didn't put any of the things from NIE's post.
    Albany, NY: a place not particularly worth visiting....
    This is spot on IMHO.
    edited June 2009
    Lark Street isn't too big... only a few blocks really, so if you can make it there you're all set for an afternoon of untold delights. If you're staying near the venue I wouldn't walk down Clinton Ave to Lark though... cut down to one of the other main drags, like Washington or Madison. There is more stuff on those streets anyways.
    Post edited by quelquefois on
    I am sure I will end up seeing ex-convits..that I seen while at work..lol..
    listen to have a shit load of extra tickets for night 1 and night 2...if you anyone that wants a ticket for 50$ please let me know ok?...anyone..pretty please...i may even sell them for 40$
  • it's almost show time folks...are you ready for some Eddie?

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-fucking-hhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    it's almost show time folks...are you ready for some Eddie?

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-fucking-hhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

Yeah man, can't believe it's less than 48-hours to go!!!

Everybody have fun at show(s)and safe travels where ever you're traveling from.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • LONGRD wrote:
    it's almost show time folks...are you ready for some Eddie?

Yeah man, can't believe it's less than 48-hours to go!!!

Everybody have fun at show(s)and safe travels where ever you're traveling from.

It's even more for us Tuesday folk! I feel like it's never going to get here!
    I get party with the best fans in the universe!!!!!
  • I get party with the best fans in the universe!!!!!
    oh yeah! bring it! gonna be great!