Options

PJ, Inc.

2»

Comments

• Options
    chikevinchikevin Posts: 421
    metsfan wrote:
    ya what fuck it, im not gonna bother getting into what ya came on here for. if you cant stand people on here then why bother coming on here. oh i know why, to do what you always have done on here and thats be a troll
    too bad you edited your whole 'u2' rant. kinda woulda been appropriate.

it has nothing to do with being a troll, it simply has to do with asking a question without being attacked.
    man, if you'd only been strong enough to leave up your last post.

it's fine, though.

here's what i've gotten from you...
    sarcasm is good for those you support, but not those you don't.
    it isn't 1995 anymore...and the band is different 13 years later.
    the old green river and mother love bone bios are useful today.
    you've bashed pj and the 10club.

that last thing about bashing pj and the 10club...wow. you are such an original.

oh, and you can call people a troll for simply asking a question.

man, if the pearl jam universe were only as smart as you.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    i never once attacked you at all or anything. you were the one that took it that way i was merely responding to your post, but whatever. hooray for pearl jam being sell outs. yay for making money.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    metsfan wrote:
    i never once attacked you at all or anything. you were the one that took it that way i was merely responding to your post, but whatever. hooray for pearl jam being sell outs. yay for making money.
    sell out.
  • Options
    chikevin wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    sell out.
    i'll gladly welcome 120 bucks for a ticket.

• Options
    SM10080SM10080 Posts: 234
    metsfan wrote:

"I only play for money,
    I don't give a fuck about the fans.
    I only play for money,
    so leave your autograph books at home,
    I don't give a damn."
  • Options
    Wolf At BayWolf At Bay Posts: 236
    Pearl Jam isn't a music charity.

It's their job. To entertain us and make a living.

If they made shitty music that sold easily to the masses, then it would be ok to bitch.

Its not about how much money they make
    Its about having a track record of supporting indie record stores and shunning corporate tactics and then going back on those stances.
    In this bad economy, to exclude indie record stores from selling a Pearl Jam record is a major snub.
    Will the record stores go under just because of this? No, the deck is already stacked against them.
    But sometimes you stay on the losing side of a fight because its the right side, and you have your integrity to maintain.
    I will have a hard time sleeping tonight, wondering if this rumor is true.
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    GD200917 wrote:

If they made shitty music that sold easily to the masses, then it would be ok to bitch.

Its about having a track record of supporting indie record stores and shunning corporate tactics and then going back on those stances.
    In this bad economy, to exclude indie record stores from selling a Pearl Jam record is a major snub.
    Will the record stores go under just because this? No, the deck is already stacked against them.
    But sometimes you stay on the losing side of a fight because its the right side, and you have your integrity to maintain.

really? lose sleep?

why don't you wait for this to be revealed as a fact before you need some sleeping pills ...
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    GD200917 wrote:

Will the record stores go under just because of this? No, the deck is already stacked against them.
    tons of band do the one big corp store and have there cd's still on sale at local indie shops.

• Options
    edited June 2009
    jimed14 wrote:
    GD200917 wrote:

Will the record stores go under just because this? No, the deck is already stacked against them.

really? lose sleep?

why don't you wait for this to be revealed as a fact before you need some sleeping pills ...

"the waiting is the hardest part"
    Post edited by Wolf At Bay on
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:
    chikevin wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    sell out.
    i'll gladly welcome 120 bucks for a ticket.
    now you're sounding like a PJ fan!

for what it's worth, i've just been fucking around.

i happen to agree with most of what you've said here (except for the thought i'm 'backdating' the band) :

but onto your original point. this isn't 95 anymore. stop holding onto something that hasn't been there for years. the band moved on years ago. if a band wasn't in it to make money, then why be in a band in the first place. who cares what weather there on cold case or in a stupid video game or having the new cd at target only. you will still be able to purchase it in the goods section or at your local indie store. if it really bothers you that the band is making money, then go find a band that isn't bout supporting there family or bettering themselves. go read the green river bio on myspace and look closely at the part that says jeff and stone wanted to became famous or how mother love bone wanted to become famous. i'm sure its old useless shit that everyone knows. i'm using it to make a point, thats all. i'm by no means a pj apologists at all. i've probably bashed pj and the 10c more times then i can remember

to be honest, i think your conclusions are sound...i just hope you don't think you need to qualify your PJ credentials...

i'd like to think i'm as 'up' on PJ things as anyone.

anyway...that's that.

sorry to come off as a dick. to be honest, i'm glad to see there are still some very well thought out PJ fans here.
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    you should all take lots of sleeping pills... :lol:

... enough already!
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    einatshaul wrote:
    you should all take lots of sleeping pills... :lol:

... enough already!

:lol::lol::lol:
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    GD200917 wrote:

really? lose sleep?

yeah, you really shouldn't lose sleep over this. You do know that there is a war going on, the economy is in the shitter, and North Korea just test fired a rocket that can house a nuclear device, right?
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:
    GD200917 wrote:

tons of band do the one big corp store and have there cd's still on sale at local indie shops.

Is that really true? Do you have an example? Because if that's the case, then this whole argument is really stupid. Who gives a crap if they freeze out one big chain in favor of another as long as the indie shops are still in play.
  • Options
    chikevin wrote:

to be honest, i think your conclusions are sound...i just hope you don't think you need to qualify your PJ credentials...

i'd like to think i'm as 'up' on PJ things as anyone.

anyway...that's that.

sorry to come off as a dick. to be honest, i'm glad to see there are still some very well thought out PJ fans here.
    i dont need to qualify myself on pj anything.what pj stuff i know is from old fans who aren't holier then thou and love to share info bout the old days of the band or the seattle 80s scene. i could careless bout all this target bs. just make fucking music and i'll be happy. yea you kinda did come off as a dick to me. its all cool though

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    GD200917 wrote:
    Is that really true? Do you have an example? Because if that's the case, then this whole argument is really stupid. Who gives a crap if they freeze out one big chain in favor of another as long as the indie shops are still in play.

well put it this way...do you really think ed would allow this to happen?

they have to get the album out there and without a major label backing them this is their best solution....big chains don't care about indy shops
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:
    just make fucking music and i'll be happy.

i'll get right on this for ya.
  • Options
    SM10080 wrote:
    yeah, you really shouldn't lose sleep over this. You do know that there is a war going on, the economy is in the shitter, and North Korea just test fired a rocket that can house a nuclear device, right?

The economy is involved in this debate, because its these big retail chains that are part of problem.
    Secondly, its things like your listening to your favorite band that get you through all the other shit going on in the world (not to mention Pearl Jam are strongly anti-war). Its all related.
  • Options
    GD200917 wrote:

a former coworker of mine bought the new ac/dc that came out last year at the local indie store near him and it was freezed out to wallmart. take that for its worth. but the best way to find out bout all this pj cd store selling bs is ask your local indie store if there selling it.

• Options
    GD200917 wrote:
    SM10080 wrote:

The economy is involved in this debate, because its these big retail chains that are part of problem.
    Secondly, its things like your listening to your favorite band that get you through all the other shit going on in the world (not to mention Pearl Jam are strongly anti-war). Its all related.

It may all be related, but PJ's record distribution is kind of small compared to an economy comparable to the 30's, a war, and a nuclear threat, don't you think? Just get a little perspective.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,224
    chikevin wrote:
    so...
    ...is it about the money these days?

target?
    rock band?
    cold case?
    box set(s)?

i can't take credit for the following, this is brought to us by everyone's friend, arturdent...

unfortunately, PJ Inc. has now taken over. It used to be about the music, but now the business aspect seems to be taking more and more control. It's sad to realize your idols are merely human.
    You asid it all with this one statement:
    "... but now the business aspect seems to be taking more and more control.".
    It is business because with the demise of the Record industry, the bands have to take on more of the business end of the deal. Resources that giant Record Companies can bring to bear are now bing taken over by the band's business unit.
    Think about it this way... if you work for a place like a McDonalds, for example, you don't have to worry so much about the workings of a burger joint business. But, strike out on your own and try to run a burger shop on your own... you incur a huge amount of responsibility.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,355
    I am so FUCKING of these threads
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    Bugs29Bugs29 Posts: 96
    I don't really care so much about marketing as long as they make an album that is real. Now, Avocado is an album that pisses me off; i can't shake the feeling it was intended to attract a wider audience; it should be ONLY about music, and when it is not the album sounds inorganic, and Avocado definitely qualifies at least consideration.

If these Target rumors are true it would def. be strange considering their loud support of the indie record stores, ie. Easy Street Records.
  • Options
    BMo-643BMo-643 Posts: 220
    RM181658 wrote:
    I don't really care so much about marketing as long as they make an album that is real. Now, Avocado is an album that pisses me off; i can't shake the feeling it was intended to attract a wider audience; it should be ONLY about music, and when it is not the album sounds inorganic, and Avocado definitely qualifies at least consideration.

If these Target rumors are true it would def. be strange considering their loud support of the indie record stores, ie. Easy Street Records.

Agreed - Avacado is my least favorite album, could be because its had the least amount of time to grow on me or it could be just as you said. I get the feeling it was a sure fire hit type album, no risks or anything....There isn't a song on the whole album that is a must have song it was a great album when I first listened to it and it never left my rotation for about the first 6-9 months, but I don't think I've listened to that album since probably 2007, doesn't stick out in my mind at all.
    Cincinnati 06'
    Lollapalooza 07'
    Bonnaroo 08'
    Columbus 10'
    Noblesville 10'
    Alpine Valley 11'
    Alpine Valley 11'
    Music Midtown 12'
    Wrigley Field 13'
    Cincinnati 14'
    Lexington 16'