Options

Jones Beach NY

13»

Comments

• Options
    http://www.brookhavenamphitheater.com/index.html

talk about a waste of a venue, look at this for NYers / Long Islanders that never has good acts and its a perfect location. Run by the town of brookhaven so its restricted on what comes in there

You hit the nail on the head. I saw Live and Collective Soul there for like 20 bucks 2 summers ago. Collective Soul was surprisngly sick, Live sucked. I would love to see PJ at the amphitheatre, its so small and practically down the road.
    Hartford '06 Camden '06 East Rutherford '06
    Madrid '07 Munich '07 London '07
    Camden '08 MSG I '08 MSG II '08 Hartford '08 Mansfield '08
    Philly II '09 Philly III '09 Philly IV '09
    Hartford '10 MSG I '10 MSG II '10
    Made in America Fest Philly '12
  • Options
    jimbojones1138jimbojones1138 Posts: 3,640
    great shows, i went to all three... just not a fan of the venue, yeah its nice on a summer evening, but its just so out of the way... i prefer the garden... 08/23/00 was the night i got turned onto sonic youth... great stuff... ive seen sy like 14 times since
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    Randalls Island aka Icahn Stadium would be nice again
    NOW WE ARE TALKING
    a return to that venue is long overdue

...and that was a 3.5 hour exit, if anyone remembers.
    I actually walked over the triborough bridge from Astoria the 1st night. Great show even with the rain. 2nd night only took me seconds to get out by car. I saw how bad the traffic leaving there the night before was so I parked the car at a special spot 8-) and left the stadium around the west side exit!
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Options
    RubberbandmanRubberbandman Posts: 439
    You hit the nail on the head. I saw Live and Collective Soul there for like 20 bucks 2 summers ago. Collective Soul was surprisngly sick, Live sucked. I would love to see PJ at the amphitheatre, its so small and practically down the road.
    Live sucked? suprised seen them a bunch of times and they were very good
    but besides those two acts nothing even as close, i emailed the head guy over there and he pretty much said its brookhaven and up to them, which means g rated bands with g rated agendas which equals BORING lol
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    so pretty much everyone is oppsosed to Jones Beach and that being the only Outdoor NY area venue?

Id rather see them play the brand new Keyspan Park, Coney Island, Brooklyn , NYC-- only the 2nd oceanfront baseball stadium in the US of A .
    Everythings brand new,
    closeby are
    the subway ,
    the NY Aquarium ,
    famous nathans ( The Nathans )
    and the Cyclone Roller coaster,
    Candy Apple Shop,
    & the Coney Isl Freakshows .
    There are also 2 brand new ballparks out in Queens and the Bronx.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    its been 9 yrs since Jones Beach NY and i didnt go that night , so what do you say Ed and the gang Jones Beach this summer?

i would love, love, love this!i am really not one for 'regrets'...but i will admit, missing out on the 3 jones beach shows is one! honestly, i wasn't a 'fan' then....barely knew em. my husband actually wanted to go to a show, but as we went to about 5-7 other shows that summer, MANY at jones beach b/c we had a *connection* then (even more regret worthy since we'd have gotten nice seats) we had spent so much $$$ that summer i said eh, let's not bother....and we didn't.

i know many people slag on jones beach, the no drinking, the cops in the lot, etc, etc......but i LOVE the venue....love being right on the water....the sound can be GREAT with the right sound techs(and yes shit w/o em).....and i have NEVEr had a problem drinking in the lot, etc. it's a bit of a bitch to leave the lot after the show, but soooo many venues are like that....so oh yes, i heartily agree

pearl jam come back to jones beach!!!
    8-)

*for my own selfish reasons tho....i need it to happen before august 15th or after september 15th. thank you. :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,803
    Speaking completely selfishly, I'd rather they play somewhere else. It's a great, scenic venue, but the no booze policy sucks-- and here's the thing, I was bone sober for Jones Beach 3 in 2000, and remember thinking "this place is the coolest venue ever." It was! The vibe was great... You don't have to be drunk yourself for alcohol to make a PJ show better (or worse, I suppose :lol: ), it's more fun when the most amount of people are simply enjoying themselves. I've gone to 3 or 4 shows at Jones Beach since, and you can tell the difference in the crowd with a no alcohol policy... Now, I realize I'm not comparing apples to apples since those other shows weren't PJ-- the problem is probably that it's just a great outdoor venue that is just that much better with a beer in hand.

I might add though, that no one was being hassled about filling the drinking void with a little smoke action, so that's cool :D
  • Options
    born2runqtborn2runqt Posts: 109
    Jones Beach sucks
    ...tramps like us...

I miss you Daddy.....10/12/07
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    I wasn't at any of the shows, but the boots are among my favorite's, along with the Sarasota Springs show right before or after the JB shows. In alot of ways this was the 2k version of the Boston experiment.
  • Options
    RubberbandmanRubberbandman Posts: 439
    think they are going to play CT,NY,NJ,PA ???? dont care at this point if they play a parking lot at walmart :)
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,016
    It's a great, scenic venue, but the no booze policy sucks--
    :shock: :shock: :shock:

why is it like this?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    because its a state park. venue owned by the state too.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    edited August 2009
    I remember when the company name associated with this venue was miller genuine draft.
    there once was a time when you were able to pull out a blanket and go lay on the sand and hear the entire concert uniterputed or bothered.
    no more.,
    the venue has long lost the sense of intimacy it once had.
    they keep building up on top of it, ....
    getting larger and larger every summer.
    It run by a bunch of knuckleheads,
    maybe ( hopefully ) pearl jam realizes most of all of this
    even tho we are spoiled by fan club allocation of tickets,
    not everyone is satisfied with this and has to resoprt to their own devices in acquiring tickets.
    i tried sleeping out there in that tourstop of 3 nights,
    but the state troopers turned us away at the front and said to return at sunrise .
    i pulled off the side of the loop parkway ( the circle around the needle ) and rested until just before sunrise.
    but by the time we drove up to the front, there were 6 cars inline and the sun hadnt fully risen yet.
    Youd think we woulda been in the top 10 online.
    WRONG.

The scalpers had tents pitched and had obviously been alowed in when we were turned away overnight.

The folks immediately in front of us on the mystreriously extended long line
    admitted to us that they indeed werent fans they were in line for someone.
    They later got a delivery from some shady slooking dudes with multiple cell phones and bags of donuts ;
    bagels and coffeee for all of them .
    I shit you not, they all were securing all the max number of tickets at the box office than everyone waiting in line after them .

Bottom line, this place has been run in the past by some shady people somewhere along the lines, getting preferential advantageous perks that even the biggest diehard out there couldnt contend with.
    I was able to get what I was looking for, but these folks were clearly there for reselling purposes .

anyhow i shot these yesterday as i drove by and i remembered that entire fiasco,

i still hope PJ doesnt play there unless its a fanclub only show.

:)

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a375/ ... 1242076578
    Post edited by Bathgate66 on
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,340
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    I remember when the company name associated with this venue was miller genuine draft.
    there once was a time when you were able to pull out a blanket and go lay on the sand and hear the entire concert uniterputed or bothered.
    no more.,
    the venue has long lost the sense of intimacy it once had.
    they keep building up on top of it, ....
    getting larger and larger every summer.
    It run by a bunch of knuckleheads,
    maybe ( hopefully ) pearl jam realizes most of all of this
    even tho we are spoiled by fan club allocation of tickets,
    not everyone is satisfied with this and has to resoprt to their own devices in acquiring tickets.
    i tried sleeping out there in that tourstop of 3 nights,
    but the state troopers turned us away at the front and said to return at sunrise .
    i pulled off the side of the loop parkway ( the corcle around the needle ) and reested until just before sunrise.
    by the time we drove up to the front, there were 6 cars inline and the sun hadnt fully risen yet.
    youd think we woulda been in the top 10 online.
    WRONG.

The scalpers had tents pitched and had obviously been alowed in when we were turned away overnight.

The folks immediately in front of us on the mystreriously extended long line
    admitted to us that they indeed werent fans they were in line for someone.
    They later got a delivery from some shady slooking dudes with multiple cell phones and bags of donuts ;
    bagels and coffeee for all of them .
    I shit you not, they all were securing all the max number of tickets at the box office than everyone waiting in line after them .

Bottom line, this place has been run in the past by some shady people somewhere along the lines, getting preferential advantageous perks that even the biggest diehard out there couldnt contend with.
    I was able to get what I was looking for, but these folks were clearly there for reselling purposes .

anyhow i shot these yesterday as i drove by and i remembered that entire fiasco,

i still hope PJ doesnt play there unless its a fanclub only show.

:)

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a375/ ... 1242076578

You my friend just nailed why that place sucks so much all of the above is true PLEASE PJ NEVER EVER PLAY THIS DUMP AGAIN ........unless like you said it's a members only show but knowing how this place is i truly doubt that it could ever happen ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....