2»

Comments

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    got ma tickets, and planning on it.

but Im not so psyched about the lineup
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Never been to a festival except taking the kids to WARPED and I dont wanna count that.

Is Austin easy to get around for a newbie like me. My daughter will probably prevent us from going, as she will be in the thick of her freshman volleyball season, but I am entertaining the idea.

Are the motels within walking distance?

Will I get to meet Sandra Bullock?

Are there many vegetarian venders?

How hot is Austin in October?

Thanks in advance. PM me if you want to really feel me in.
    Some Austinites can probably answer your questions better than I can but I'll make a stab at it.

Austin is a friendly city but it has grown rapidly and traffic can be a nightmare. So getting around is probably not too difficult but traffic jams can be expected.

Define "walking distance." Actually, the answer would be no. Those rooms will be booked by now. But you will be doing plenty of walking. We always go with a group of friends and one guy lives in Austin. He scopes out a parking deal in advance for the weekend. We usually walk at least a mile (one way) every day to the gate.

Sandra Bullock? Any other hopeless fantasies you'd care to mention? ;)

Plenty of vegetarian options. I have been very impressed with the selection and quality of the food available.

Texas is still hot in early October although we may get lucky. But don't be surprised if we have temps in the 90s.

ACL is a great festival. Looking forward to meeting lots of folks. :D
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:

Yeah, I got mixed feelings about the lineup too.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Get_Right wrote:

i think it's pretty solid, actually. one of my favorite things about ACL is discovering new music. there are a lot of bands that i've never heard of & i'm looking forward to checking them out before the festival. there was no "wow" factor-type bands for us last year, but we had a blast & were turned on to a lot of great new (to us anyway) music.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    My Corduroy JacketMy Corduroy Jacket Austin, TX Posts: 571
    mfc2006 wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:

i think it's pretty solid, actually. one of my favorite things about ACL is discovering new music. there are a lot of bands that i've never heard of & i'm looking forward to checking them out before the festival. there was no "wow" factor-type bands for us last year, but we had a blast & were turned on to a lot of great new (to us anyway) music.

Totall agree. I was disappointed initially about the lineup last year, but I had a great time all three days! ACL is a blast and the fans are pretty cool
    Austin, TX
  • Options
    flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
    i'm always there for 3 days so i'm sure as hell there for pj!!!!!
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,614
    always great but with PJ i'm sure it will be my favorite. Can't wait to see the felice brothers either.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:

Totall agree. I was disappointed initially about the lineup last year, but I had a great time all three days! ACL is a blast and the fans are pretty cool
    I felt good about the lineup last year although some of the bands I was interested in hearing turned out to be disappointments. I heard some new (to me) acts that I really enjoyed, especially Gogol Bordello, Rodney Crowell, Alejandro Escovedo, Drive-By Truckers, Adele. Robert Earl Keen always puts on a good show. Gillian Welch was amazing. Gnarls Barkley, The Fratellis, Mars Volta, Manu Chao, all very good. Plant and Krauss--better than I expected and at least I can say I've seen them because I don't expect that one to happen again. The friends I was with wanted to hear John Fogerty and David Byrne, otherwise I'm not sure I would have stayed for their whole sets. They were good but I could have done without Byrne's interpretative dancers. :roll: The Foos were great and played longer than closing acts usually do at ACL. Worst act, hands down, was Flyleaf on Sunday afternoon. I only heard 2 songs and could not believe how they sucked. My husband told me I was lucky that I didn't hear more than that. He called them Flypaper. After they finished I could hear people all around me complaining about them.

I noticed a trend last year of chicks playing violins, like every band had to have one.

But as ya'll have pointed out the great thing about ACL is the new music so I expect to be introduced to a lot. As we get closer to the fest I'm sure I'll be getting feedback about some of the bands that are playing too. 8-)
  • Options
    Rapunzel64Rapunzel64 Posts: 129
    I can't wait to finally see PJ in Texas. This festival is always good. This year it will be fantastic!
  • Options
    RedlegsRedlegs Posts: 160
    Most definitely in, and have some old friends from Ohio flying in. Stoked
  • Options
    Red Mosquito75Red Mosquito75 Moline IL Posts: 1,034
    I am talking my wife into going. Since pj isn't doing a us tour soon I would love to see them. It looks like a great lineup
    This is Not For You
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    mfc2006 wrote:

I agree, just would have liked to see two more headliners that I would like to see.
    As this moment, its pretty much PJ.
    I have zero interest in seeing Ben harper, KOL, beasties or DMB

the undercards are always interesting at ACL, but I think the headliners for Fri and Sat are a bit weak
  • Options
    PJStatTrackerPJStatTracker Posts: 2,400
    I'm there.

I bet Ed will sing Under Pressure w/ Ben Harper...
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    KingmidgetKingmidget Posts: 628
    mfc2006 wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:

+10

Compared to other festivals ACL really mixes it up! Besides some of the big acts, we had as much fun checking out the "local stage"...Texas has allot to offer for bands...blues, folk, metal...what a blast. HIGHLY recommended and leave a day or two open to explore Austin itself...a great city.

ACL 2009... yeah babyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
  • Options
    I'm working on my wife for this one... there's plenty of bands she'd like to see too. It's either this or Cancun in March.
    Minneapolis 98, Chicago 00, San Fransisco 00, Fargo 03, Thunder Bay 05, St Paul 06 (night 2), Chicago 08 (EV) both nights

Don't it make you smile?
  • Options
    PJStatTrackerPJStatTracker Posts: 2,400
    s_rockvam wrote:
    I'm working on my wife for this one... there's plenty of bands she'd like to see too. It's either this or Cancun in March.

just tell her that march happened a month ago, so she has to go to Austin now.
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    tazwwtazww Posts: 22
    got my tickets a week ago! it's going to be great!
  • Options
    pjsycopjsyco Wilmington, NC Posts: 642
    I'm there. Never been to Austin and always wanted to go. This is the perfect reason to visit.
  • Options
    Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    s_rockvam wrote:

I think you can rule out Cancun now...with the swine flu going around. :?
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13