Options

The bootlegs SUCK

13»

Comments

• Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    goo wrote:
    the replies in this thread keep bouncing back and forth between how terribly the boots are mixed and how terribly the band has been playing certain songs. 2 totally different topics if you ask me. I'm as sick to death of boots as a lot of you apparently are. I don't care how great a setlist or live show is when you're ACTUALLY THERE TO SEE IT, the "bootlegs" we've been getting just don't capture that energy and live sound that are experienced by the people actually at the show. they need to go back to mixing the shows the way they did back in the '90s... Atlanta '94 is a perfect example. THAT'S how a live recording should sound. that's my rant on the mixing of the actual live recordings of shows. but now on to how the boys as a band have been sounding: many tracks I've heard off these recent bootlegs sound pretty jaded. sure I understand that the band feels some kind of obligation to play Even Flow and Corduroy almost every night of a tour just to appease the fans.... but screw that shit. if it would help them get into it a little bit more, I'd rather them only play those songs once or twice on a tour and actually play them right than to rush through them like they have been. Even Flow is the perfect example... that song is meant to be played slow and groovy. that's how it sounds the best. wouldn't it be so much better to wonder just when the band is going to unleash that song in it's perfect form on a tour? I think so. but instead, it's turned into a bathroom break song for many folks. I hope to see some things get back to their roots and they way they "should" be in future tours to come.

You've precisely summed up everything I've been trying to say. The bootlegs just sound bad. Atlanta 94 sounds incredible... I feel like it can't be THAT hard to produce boots that sound that good? But then they'd have to include the bass guitar in the recordings... maybe they get to cut Jeff out of the royalties if they do it that way? And yes, I still love hearing Even Flow, but not if they're going to go through the motions on it. And that's exactly how it's sounded lately. Corduroy too... like they just want to get them over with.
  • Options
    judjud Posts: 13
    cleveland 2003 was awsome,the whole thing, cavaliers got to game seven the day before and everyone was so into it. i remember ed falling of stage and eveyone going nuts when he finally stood up
    jdc
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    jud wrote:
    cleveland 2003 was awsome,the whole thing, cavaliers got to game seven the day before and everyone was so into it. i remember ed falling of stage and eveyone going nuts when he finally stood up

I think I was the only guy in the building that didn't see that. I was totally wasted and staring at Mike soloing. Never saw Ed fall off the stage or anything.
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    Firecloud wrote:
    there's gonna be plenty of time to enjoy the sad, slow sound of our heroes aging. let's enjoy the fire while we can.
    "we'll ALL be on stools..." - name that show!

atlanta '94. I think. making fun of Jeff right...
  • Options
    Dark StarDark Star Posts: 496
    Wasn't Base Camp doing the boots in 2003? And they are no longer involved maybe? I don't know since I dont own that many boots but I'm sure that is the reason for the difference in quality.

As for songs being played too fast, I've heard that argument a million times on numerous PJ boards. I'm sure it is a conscious decision to play them faster. They are just mixing things up, as they have always done. Do you want every song to sound exactly the same every tour? Now that they are a tight musical unit and they have a decent drummer, it affords them the opportunity to play songs faster if need be.
  • Options
    joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    broloco wrote:
    Firecloud wrote:
    there's gonna be plenty of time to enjoy the sad, slow sound of our heroes aging. let's enjoy the fire while we can.
    "we'll ALL be on stools..." - name that show!

atlanta '94. I think. making fun of Jeff right...

RED ROCKS......ship song....slow jeremy........im i correct???
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • Options
    Dark Star wrote:
    As for songs being played too fast, I've heard that argument a million times on numerous PJ boards. I'm sure it is a conscious decision to play them faster. They are just mixing things up, as they have always done. Do you want every song to sound exactly the same every tour? Now that they are a tight musical unit and they have a decent drummer, it affords them the opportunity to play songs faster if need be.

I just listened to Perth 2006 and it has to be the speediest show they've ever done. The whole show is played at twice the normal speed. They played 19 songs in the main set (more than ususal) and it still fits on one disc, less than 80 minutes! I'm hard pressed to say if this improves the show or not.
  • Options
    As for the bootlegs themseleves...the 2000 boots sound awesome...Matt's drums sound great...the guitars are loud and clear and have lots of balls...perfection...then in 2003 the mix got muddier and the mastering more cooked...then by 2006 I was hard pressed to hear the guitars anymore, especially Mike...then 2008 just sounded like total mush...they need to go back to however they did things in 2000...I can never get enough of those boots...
  • Options
    joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    ...and yes i TOTALY agree with this thread....ill have to say the best boots have to be 94-98....ANYTHING RECORDED BY BLIZZARD RECORDING WAS AMAZING.....they had so many boots out ,you had NO AVAIL...MALARIA...RED ROCKS....NO NONSENCE...they also had a bunch of STP, NIRVANA.RCHP boots that where PERFECT....the crowd level the band...everything was perefect..best recorded boots has to be SEATTLE 7/22/98..SET LIST...BAND...CROWD.....EFFIN PEREFCT

i had them all....spent well over $1000........$50 for a double cd..$25 for a single cd
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • Options
    i agree that the 2003 boots definitely sound the best. i also like the sound from 2000, however i feel like vocals could have been mixed louder and they are not as good as 2003. as far as speed goes... i don't know, maybe i need to sit down and listen to several shows from every tour since then, but i thought the 2000 tour was the one in which everything was sped up ridiculously. i also think that even flow is much better the way it is now. i cannot stand the album version or the older live ones. to each his own. maybe they mess with the speed of songs because some people like them fast and others like them slow. or maybe they just feel like it. i dunno. either way, i'd like to add my name to the petition to bring back the 2003 production!
  • Options
    PappasPappas Posts: 809
    agree wtih you guys, the recent boots suck ass. where's the bass? also i hate the fact some songs are sped up. evenflow isnt as enjoyable anymore, they need to slow it down and Mike needs to get back to sounding like Stevie Ray Vaughan and Hendrix, his solos were alot better in the 90's than today.

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    I agree that they do suck and I also feel PJ at times are just going through the motions at shows sometimes...

But if they suck, you should NOT purchase them. The more people keep buying these boots, the more of the same quality crap they are going to give us. The band makes a f'n fortune on bootleg sales, and now that they don't even have to send a CD, they are making even MORE!

Think of it this way...

Say you paid a guy to landscape your lawn. He was a hell of a nice guy and he did a hell of job in the past, but lately you've noticed that the quality has gone downhill. Then all of a sudden he starts charging you more, and in order for him to cut costs and make more money he's coming out once every two weeks instead of every week.
    Would you still pay this guy to do your lawn? No f'n way!

That's how I feel about the boots. If it was a show I went to, maybe I'd get it for sentimental purposes but there is no way I'm buying anything else.
  • Options
    silvosilvo Posts: 290
    Although I agree with the point that the quality of the boots is inferior to those of '00/03 at least we are still able to purchase them!!!!
    After the '07 shows when they didn't release official boots of the shows everybody kicked off, now they're available again and everyone is bitching! Shouldn't we just be happy the option is there to buy them if we want to?
  • Options
    wayne823wayne823 Posts: 67
    I'm just happy PJ is still playing shows and releasing boots. So many bands don't even make the effort. Ithink we should thank our lucky stars that the band actually cares about the fans.