Options

The bootlegs SUCK

soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
edited April 2009 in The Porch
since 2003. I'm listening to an 03 boot and it sounds fucking incredible! There's a bass guitar! Holy shit!

The band also seems to be downhill since this tour. Corduroy sounds normal, played at usual speed. Then suddenly in 2006 they start playing it (and half their catalogue) twice as fast. What gives?

Cleveland 2003... one of the most underrated PJ shows ever. Even better than State College imho.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jimbojones1138jimbojones1138 Posts: 3,640
    i think they've picked up there pace a lot since 2000... listen to even flow off of one of the spain shows from 00, it sounds nice and slow... by the end of the tour it picked up pace... dont know if thats cause they are trying to fit more songs into a set or what
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,505
    I would tend to agree.

I thought they played their songs way too fast this past tour, and the boots were definitely missing some sounds.

I know they gotta be tired of playing Even Flow, Corduroy, etc over and over and over again, so maybe they challenge themselves a bit by playing it faster. Or just to get through it.

But I would prefer them somewhat closer to the studio versions.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    I would tend to agree.

I thought they played their songs way too fast this past tour, and the boots were definitely missing some sounds.

I know they gotta be tired of playing Even Flow, Corduroy, etc over and over and over again, so maybe they challenge themselves a bit by playing it faster. Or just to get through it.

But I would prefer them somewhat closer to the studio versions.

Just to get through it is honestly what it sounds like to me.

In any event, whoever mixed these 03 boots needs to be brought back. The Gorge box set sounds like a bad joke compared to this. Even Flow is on now and it's kicking fuckin ass... Mike wailing, the band taking their time and jamming it out. This is the live PJ I know and love!
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,882
    really hard for me to want to listen to any shows past 2003.

I always blamed Matt, but after Ed's solo tour and how fast he played "Sometimes" I think he may be to blame as well. too bad. Even Flow used to be a great, groovy song. Corduroy has been destroyed.

I still blame Matt for playing way too heavy on the soft stuff. he should go back and listen to Dave or Jack play Black, Indifference, Off He Goes, etc.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    OffMeGoesOffMeGoes Posts: 483
    CLEVELAND 2003!!!!! How good is Patriot from that show?? You are right, that show was just awesome.......I thought Pittsburgh the next night was pretty underrated too for the Riot Act tour......"Steal Town on a Saturday night, I got Steal Pipes for singing" Or something like that.....
    Formally known as Tackalac before being formally known as Vedderwt,,,,....release my old name and posts....

I saw a wino eating grapes, I said, "Dude, you have to wait"
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    non-entity wrote:

I always blamed Matt, but after Ed's solo tour and how fast he played "Sometimes" I think he may be to blame as well. too bad. Even Flow used to be a great, groovy song. Corduroy has been destroyed.

I still blame Matt for playing way too heavy on the soft stuff. he should go back and listen to Dave or Jack play Black, Indifference, Off He Goes, etc.

It's just the way they play them now. You can't blame Matt for playing fast or even "heavy". The songs you mentioned were played very differently by Matt in '00 and even parts of '03. If I had to bet, I'd say the band playing all of those songs that fast is mostly due to Ed.

Anyways, I agree with the thread topic. Songs are being played waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too fast anymore.
    SOLAT on the Italian tour DVD is horrific. It's a pretty fast song to begin with but that version it seemed like they were playing it to a) see how fast they could or b) to get it out of the way for another song.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    this is a great thread by the way.....

ive noticed all this too that they have sped everything way up and some of the songs tend to suffer because of this...2003 was definitely the year for boots but i still have a love affair with my St. Louis 1998 boot, the band just sounded raw and ready to go
  • Options
    pjalive21 wrote:
    this is a great thread by the way.....

ive noticed all this too that they have sped everything way up and some of the songs tend to suffer because of this...2003 was definitely the year for boots but i still have a love affair with my St. Louis 1998 boot, the band just sounded raw and ready to go

98 was a great tour. I saw my first show on that tour. They were amazingly tight, considering they were playing with a brand new drummer.
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    non-entity wrote:

It's just the way they play them now. You can't blame Matt for playing fast or even "heavy". The songs you mentioned were played very differently by Matt in '00 and even parts of '03. If I had to bet, I'd say the band playing all of those songs that fast is mostly due to Ed.

Anyways, I agree with the thread topic. Songs are being played waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too fast anymore.
    SOLAT on the Italian tour DVD is horrific. It's a pretty fast song to begin with but that version it seemed like they were playing it to a) see how fast they could or b) to get it out of the way for another song.

That's a good point. Matt didn't speed up the songs in 98, 00, or 03. I don't know what the deal is since, but the tempo has been doubled on a lot of songs and it makes it sound like they're just going through the motions. I don't know who is responsible, but I wish it would stop. It's also killing Ed's singing, he can't keep up at that pace and his voice ends up sounding ragged, like all his energy is going into just getting all the words in.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    I have to agree i can't listen to any boots from the last two tours, good set list don't = great sound ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    I feel so robbed that I didn't see the YIELD tour. Man.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    redeyeredeye Posts: 620
    nice thread, and have to agree, solat has been destroyed live, just doesnt sound right so fast,
    the groove of the songs gets lost, even unofficial boots stand up better than anything after 03... :mrgreen:
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    fanch75 wrote:
    I just wish I had money then to go to more shows. Luckily they did two at Alpine and one Chicago so doing 3 was nice, but I wish I could have expanded a bit more into the other surrounding states. Those were amazing shows, and a good handful of songs from that tour never really came back into regular rotation in shows.
  • Options
    fanch75 wrote:

That feels like something wrong with the universe. Like in the movie Dogma, where the angels would prove God wrong and negate existence... fanch not seeing a Yield show is kinda like that.
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I agree with the 2008, 2006 and 2005 bootlegs sounding average but at the end of the day that's all they are; bootlegs.

anyway as for the other topic on this thread. I agree obviously that everything has gotten faster (even the new harder songs are fast songs... big wave, save you, life wasted, severed hand, get right, green disease etc.).. I would love them to slow down even flow and severed hand for the next tour...Also yes SOLAT is too fast nowadays.

in saying this every bands catalogue changes slightly over time without noticing... I mean Led Zeppelin changed pretty much everything slightly by the end of their reign.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I quite like the faster versions :roll:
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    Vedderwt wrote:
    CLEVELAND 2003!!!!! How good is Patriot from that show?? You are right, that show was just awesome.......I thought Pittsburgh the next night was pretty underrated too for the Riot Act tour......"Steal Town on a Saturday night, I got Steal Pipes for singing" Or something like that.....

It is good. I think even the band acknowledged that... they scrapped the setlist about 6 songs in and re-did it because the crowd was so into everything. Mind-blowing version of Present Tense and without doubt, the best version of Alive I have ever heard. Even my buddy (only a casual fan, and we were in literally the last row of the upper deck on the side), after Alive turned to me and said "that was fucking nuts man!"
  • Options
    Jennytree wrote:
    I quite like the faster versions :roll:

You probably like punk music too ;)

And Zoso, I'll grant you that, but I think the changes are a bit more than slight. There are a dozen songs or so that are dramatically faster for no apparent reason. It's not like reworking Garden or Jeremy, which is one thing, or an added unique jam like the Even Flow drum solo. It's just twice as fast for no apparent reason. I actually wonder if they're even conscious of it?
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    spot on... anything past 2003 sounds pretty awful, and although i own a few boots from '06 & '08, they are rarely played.

the boots i listen to the most are from the 2000 european tour.
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    non-entity wrote:
    That's a good point. Matt didn't speed up the songs in 98, 00, or 03. I don't know what the deal is since, but the tempo has been doubled on a lot of songs and it makes it sound like they're just going through the motions. I don't know who is responsible, but I wish it would stop. It's also killing Ed's singing, he can't keep up at that pace and his voice ends up sounding ragged, like all his energy is going into just getting all the words in.

yeah, Ed should stop smoking!!! it's getting him out of breath!
  • Options
    broloco wrote:
    non-entity wrote:

yeah, Ed should stop smoking!!! it's getting him out of breath!

I don't think Lance Armstrong would have the wind to keep up with Even Flow the way they play it now.
  • Options
    Ever think they are trying to cram as many songs as possible into their set because of venue curfews and peoples setlist obsession? Maybe they are trying to please everyone.

I would rather see 20 songs played well, slowed down and jammed out a little bit than 30+ speedy versions of songs like corduroy,solat and betterman.
    But that's just me. :D
    walk the bridges,.......before you burn them down
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    The real question is....why do we keep going to shows if we hate how the songs sound? (myself included)

I completely agree....the sped up songs sound like shit. It's painful seeing how great they and the drums sounded back in the day (Check out the Dave A. YouTube videos)
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    state of love and trust from drop in the park is just as fast as they play it nowadays.

There are certain boots from 2003 that I don't like to listen to, just becuase the overall sound is muddy. One of the MSG shows comes to mind.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,924
    '05 bootlegs were pretty cool. if there is a way we can get those released by 10club via flac or cd style ...

:mrgreen:
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    I pretty much only listen to 2003 shows. I agree they sound the best.
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    I find it funny all the bitching about how the boots suck and the songs are played too fast and the band is kinda out of touch compared to 10 years ago.

Yet..........

When PJ announces the next tour, all of you will be lining up with loads of $$$$$$$$$ ready to snatch up as many tickets to as many shows as you can get.

It's just funny to me. :lol::lol:
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    I find it funny all the bitching about how the boots suck and the songs are played too fast and the band is kinda out of touch compared to 10 years ago.

Yet..........

When PJ announces the next tour, all of you will be lining up with loads of $$$$$$$$$ ready to snatch up as many tickets to as many shows as you can get.

It's just funny to me. :lol::lol:

Nope not me. I just want Alpine Valley baby. :D
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,543
    Cleveland 2003... one of the most underrated PJ shows ever.

when you're right, you're right,...
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    100 Pacer wrote:
    Cleveland 2003... one of the most underrated PJ shows ever.

Along with Alpine Valley. :D:):D:)

Sorry I'm listening to it right now so my thoughts are all about it. :)